Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's the price range for the best of the best/fastest 1TB MicroSD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Loading off spinning rust is painful because of how long it takes to read a random block of data. SD cards are more like SSDs even if their sequential read throughput isn't great, so considering the kind of game you can play with a 15W power envelope it should be fine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The current common 1TB m.2 2230 drives will potentially not fit because they're too fat. The KBG40ZNS1T02 for example is a fatter form factor than its 512MB counterpart, the KBG40ZNS512G. Incidentally, if you search on ebay for the KBG40ZNS512G, you'll find some at around the $100 mark, but even then you'll notice the underside isn't quite flat if you pay attention to the pics. According to Kioxia's website, the 1TB model is "m.2 2230-S3", while the 512GB model is "m.2 2230-S2". You could conceivably order the 64gb Deck and slap a $100 512GB after-market SSD in there and have the $650 model for $500 (minus the bonuses), but I'd be wary of doing this until the device is in people's hands and we know what is and isn't compatible, and how easy such a swap would be.

Yeah I brought that up earlier in the thread, there is a thickness difference between S2 and S3 drives but it's... 0.15mm. We'll see if the Deck is so tightly packed that that's an important distinction.

Western Digitals 2230 drives are all the thicker S3 variety too, even the smaller capacity ones, so Valve may still have designed in enough space for S3 drives so they could dual-source SSDs.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

sigher posted:

At a glance, $200+. Also it appears the steam deck is limited to a UHS-I interface, with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 104MB/s. Compare to ~600MB/s of USB 3.0.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

edit: ^^^ Transfer speeds are not everything. As Antigravitas said, the random read/write performance of SSDs are far superior to HDDs. There are a lot of factors to load times beyond resource load speeds too. It's complicated, and we need Valve to give us more information.

sigher posted:

You pay a price premium on 1TB MicroSD cards. They tend to be around 2.25 to 2.5 times the price of their 512GB siblings from the same brand/speed class. It's better to just stick to 512GB cards. The fasted UHS-I versions of those are around $100. Valve hasn't yet stated what the exact set of speed classes the Deck supports, only that it's UHS-I. This is not adequate for making purchasing decisions, so I'd wait until we have more info.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 23, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

these ign overviews aren't cutting it, send steve gamersnexus a review sample gabe you coward

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, one of the reasons I'm perfectly fine with my Q2 2022 reservation is it allows me to get more information once units are out in the wild and also might avoid some of the bugs inherent to first-run units hopefully. I've never gotten a console at launch, 6-8 months out puts me at right around the fastest I've adopted a new console.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean at the very least we will get a ton more hands on as we get closer to December

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The Gadfly posted:

Valve choosing Linux isn't just a 'vendetta' against Microsoft. It's a good business decision, because they won't need to pay for a Windows license on every steam deck they sell.

Windows licenses are free to manufacturers if the screen is smaller than nine inches

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Windows licenses are free to manufacturers if the screen is smaller than nine inches

True but untying them selves from Windows and all it’s baggage are a good thing. They can make the device much more power efficient and have a better touch interface that’s for sure.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wouldn't the better option be an external SSD? People seem to not be concerned with battery life because it'll mostly be plugged in and those are very light and small and 540MB/s is much better than an SSD card.
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA1T0B/dp/B073H552FJ/
50g and smaller than the palm of your hand and 1TB for $140

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Wouldn't the better option be an external SSD? People seem to not be concerned with battery life because it'll mostly be plugged in and those are very light and small and 540MB/s is much better than an SSD card.

It has only one USB port, and it's what will be used to charge the device. I don't think connecting it to a hub would allow you to simultaneously charge and transmit data. Even if it would, that's a lot of stuff you're attaching to a handheld device.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

That’s what I want. A brick dangling off my gabegear

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's only got one port, so you'll need to use some sort of hub/dock to charge and have any connectivity at the same time.

Efb

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It has only one USB port, and it's what will be used to charge the device. I don't think connecting it to a hub would allow you to simultaneously charge and transmit data. Even if it would, that's a lot of stuff you're attaching to a handheld device.
It would, all those USB-C hubs do power passthrough. but lmao, at the visual

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

At a glance, $200+. Also it appears the steam deck is limited to a UHS-I interface, with a theoretical maximum transfer rate of 104MB/s. Compare to ~600MB/s of USB 3.0.

Ooof, what the gently caress.

You pay a price premium on 1TB MicroSD cards. They tend to be around 2.25 to 2.5 times the price of their 512GB siblings from the same brand/speed class. It's better to just stick to 512GB cards. The fasted UHS-I versions of those are around $100. Valve hasn't yet stated what the exact set of speed classes the Deck supports, only that it's UHS-I. This is not adequate for making purchasing decisions, so I'd wait until we have more info.

Yeah, I'll wait it out then. My current desktop only has 1TB of space and I only tend to have several games on it at a time, so I don't really need that much. 512 internal and 512 SD, I should be fine.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Oh, I didn't realize it charged through the single USB, I thought it had a power connector and then a single USB.

Yeah that makes it much less practical because you can't plug and unplug without removing the drive.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gonna break out the m.2 slot to full pci-e and plug in a 3090 for convenient portable gaming on the go

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I mean, thinking about it, the most sensible (albeit janky) storage option to me is probably just sticking one of these:

onto the back of the Deck with some command strips. It seems kinda dumb, but there's more than enough space for smaller cases and I doubt it'd add much weight.

Or you can just, like, only carry 512 gigs of storage with you when you go out, I guess.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just glue it to the back of your Steam Deck like that goon that did it to his 3DS.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I feel like an alien whenever people start talking about storage space because I still see a terabyte and go "wow, that's so much, how could I fill that up"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This is PC gaming, you're not getting the cut down console version and plenty of AAA titles will take up 100+GB. Right now my biggest "game" is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and that's at 147GB, yeah, there's a ton of data in it and it's a special case but some other large titles I have are Battlefield 1 at 81GB, Sea of Thieves at 65GB, Control Ultimate Edition at 42GB. I remember Red Dead Redemption 2 and Gears of War 5 also taking up like 120 each or some poo poo.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I feel like an alien whenever people start talking about storage space because I still see a terabyte and go "wow, that's so much, how could I fill that up"

I mean, I kinda get the concern with how big some modern games are, but you can always switch out SD cards with the games preloaded if you're at home or bring them with you if you're traveling, and if you're out...I mean, I just don't really see a situation where I'll need more than 500 gigs worth of games in a single day, really.

sigher posted:

This is PC gaming, you're not getting the cut down console version and plenty of AAA titles will take up 100+GB. Right now my biggest "game" is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and that's at 147GB, yeah, there's a ton of data in it and it's a special case but some other large titles I have are Battlefield 1 at 81GB, Sea of Thieves at 65GB, Control Ultimate Edition at 42GB. I remember Red Dead Redemption 2 and Gears of War 5 also taking up like 120 each or some poo poo.

Sure, but if it actually works as advertised and loads the games up on screen when you put the SD card in(this is a pretty big if, honestly)then I can't really bring myself to see a huge issue with swapping out cards.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I think it might just be PC people looking at "their" handheld. With the PC more = better, and that's no different with storage.
Like range anxiety but instead of electric cars it's digital storage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know if I've ever had more than a terrabyte of PC games installed at any one time, and I have Flight Simulator installed with mods.

Ideally, companies release 720p-optimized texture packs or something so you don't have to install 50GB of textures meant for 4K with every game. And Valve does whatever they need to do to support this in an intuitive manner. (The HD Texture Pack DLC some games have is kinda clunky)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I don't know if I've ever had more than a terrabyte of PC games installed at any one time, and I have Flight Simulator installed with mods.

Ideally, companies release 720p-optimized texture packs or something so you don't have to install 50GB of textures meant for 4K with every game. And Valve does whatever they need to do to support this in an intuitive manner. (The HD Texture Pack DLC some games have is kinda clunky)

On an actual PC it will make more of a difference because the types of games stored will probably be different as well. I have Dead by daylight, rocket league, cod, battlefield, rainbow, etc. All multiplayer games that adds up. I doubt I will have that same kind of lineup on this device so it won't be as much of a space taker. I get a feeling that will be pretty common.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 24, 2021

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I reserved the 512 but TBH I kinda wish I could switch it because I'm content remote playing most bigger things, which works better than you might expect. If its important enough that the latency would bug me I'd probably be playing it on the desktop anyway, for a variety of reasons.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

How we does steam handle having different library folders on the same storage mount point?

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I don't recall seeing it here in the thread and it's worth mentioning: Valve rejiggered something to move forward the 512GB version. So reserving right now puts you at Q2 2022, same as the other two versions, and those people who had an expected order avaliability of Q3 are now seeing Q2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How we does steam handle having different library folders on the same storage mount point?
That works fine, it doesn't like when library folders change out from under it while its running though

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rebel Blob posted:

I don't recall seeing it here in the thread and it's worth mentioning: Valve rejiggered something to move forward the 512GB version. So reserving right now puts you at Q2 2022, same as the other two versions, and those people who had an expected order avaliability of Q3 are now seeing Q2.

That could potentially just be people canceling reservations, though maybe they managed to step up their production after seeing the demand.

edit: for what it's worth, my position hasn't advanced from Q2 (put in my reservation around two and a half hours after it went live). So any queue compression either hasn't been enough to advance me up a quarter (maybe I went from May to April or something), or happened behind my position in the queue.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 24, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's fine.

But just for perspective, here are some games on my disk right now. Most of those are native and I'm ignoring fs-level compression:

e. nvm, see below

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jul 24, 2021

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rebel Blob posted:

I still ain't December god drat it!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Alright, I did a quick thing. I copied my currently installed Steam library onto a file system with transparent compression (lz4), then compared sizes: Physical size is the size on disk after compression; Logical size is the size as seen by the application.

code:
Physical   Logical    Game
90M        91M        Ion Fury
124M       147M       Loop Hero
139M       155M       Undertale
175M       514M       Carrier Command 2 Demo
275M       484M       Hacknet
278M       395M       FTL Faster Than Light
282M       315M       West of Loathing
298M       484M       RimWorld
719M       1,1G       Valheim
825M       1,2G       Parkitect
1,4G       3,2G       Sunless Skies
1,5G       1,7G       Factorio
1,6G       1,7G       Wildermyth
1,9G       7,5G       Hollow Knight
2,1G       7,0G       Kami (That's Spiritfarer)
2,5G       4,5G       Kerbal Space Program
3,1G       4,8G       Dusk
3,3G       5,4G       Crusader Kings III
3,4G       6,1G       Thea 2 The Shattering
3,6G       5,9G       AI War 2
7,2G       9,7G       SubnauticaZero
9,3G       13G        Stellaris
11G        12G        Hades
15G        20G        Wasteland 3
16G        23G        Desperados III
18G        19G        X4 Foundations
18G        34G        BATTLETECH
20G        28G        Black Mesa
25G        33G        Sid Meier's Civilization VI
30G        40G        Total War THREE KINGDOMS
32G        52G        Pillars of Eternity II
33G        38G        Pathfinder Kingmaker
49G        60G        Total War WARHAMMER II
69G        70G        XCOM 2
Since this thing is running Linux it should have at least one file system available that can do transparent compression (btrfs) unless Valve decides not to include it.

Generally speaking, a modern CPU decompresses faster than its storage can read. That means file system level compression speeds things up. (This does not apply to Windows; Windows file system compression is absolute trash)

It's interesting how some games (XCOM 2) already compress their game files, but others really don't (Battletech, KSP, Hollow Knight).

Transparent compression is really confusing to the end user, but I do wonder if Valve would take advantage of it. Look at some of those ratios.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 24, 2021

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Gutcruncher posted:

That’s what I want. A brick dangling off my gabegear

I'm sorry if I feel nostalgic for the battery pack in my Sega Game Gear and want it back now.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Don't worry, the steam deck weighs the same as both of those combined

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Maybe y'all should just not have 25 AAA games installed at the same time if you're concerned about space. get some indie games on there instead

i have 36 Steam games installed and 9 demos, and the SteamVR dependencies, and that folder is less than 150GB combined

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The 7th Guest posted:

Maybe y'all should just not have 25 AAA games installed at the same time if you're concerned about space. get some indie games on there instead

i have 36 Steam games installed and 9 demos, and the SteamVR dependencies, and that folder is less than 150GB combined

But I won’t be happy until I have Warzone, Red Dead Redemption 2, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Hitman 2, Destiny 2 and Quantum Break on my steam deck at once :mad:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Warzone 2100 is only a few gigs anyway :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

I need my 6 TB game collection on me at all times in case anyone tries to challenge my status as a Gamer