Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have an Onkyo TX-8020 for my office that does just about everything that one does except the digital inputs and slightly less wattage (50wpc) for like a quarter the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
If I was in the market for a little integrated that did digital, phono and put out reasonable power I would fully get a NAD D3020 V2. Although I do get that some people really want the standard size of an integrated.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The D 3020 V2 is nice but it's underpowered. Fine for smaller speakers but not for more demanding bookshelves.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It would be cool if someone made a knock off of the naim Uniti Atom with similar functionality but at like 1/6 the cost.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

The D 3020 V2 is nice but it's underpowered. Fine for smaller speakers but not for more demanding bookshelves.

It’s definitely not a heavyweight but in most near field applications where it would be used it would be plenty, 30wpc and stable down to 2ohms. I’ve heard it power elac b6’s without any issues and they’re notoriously power hungry. That said, for that legitimate punch I get where you’re coming from, I have an old Nad 2400 powering my desk setup which is....overkill.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

DoesNotCompute posted:

It’s definitely not a heavyweight but in most near field applications where it would be used it would be plenty, 30wpc and stable down to 2ohms. I’ve heard it power elac b6’s without any issues and they’re notoriously power hungry. That said, for that legitimate punch I get where you’re coming from, I have an old Nad 2400 powering my desk setup which is....overkill.

overkill on the desktop, u say

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
How do you find that thing for nearfield? I was always under the impression that pro-audio stuff has bonkers power but a high noise floor and audible hiss at low volumes. Do you find that's the case?

Speaking of overkill though, I currently have feelers out for another 2400 so I can run a pair bridged for absolutely no other reason than to be confident that I can power just about any weirdo speaker I pick up with authority.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It has an audible hiss at very low volumes or idle. Younger ears than mine might be bothered but it's not too bad.

As far as a nearfield application I have found the old Titans are surprisingly good at it. They are toed in a good amount but I still get really good imaging. Also I have the output trims set to about 75% so I have some ability to make fine volume changes. :v:

I didn't design it this way, I just happened to have an old Mbox 2 lying around and when I found out that Avid had finally published drivers for Windows I had to try it. Pair it with and inexpensive Crown amp and cut it loose. Sure the total gain is kinda wasted here but it still sounds really good so I went with it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DoesNotCompute posted:

I have Paradigm Studio 10's. I liked the V2 but had to return it because it just didn't have enough power to drive them. I replaced it with a NuPrime IDA-8 and that has plenty of power while retaining the small size (although it costs way more.)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I have an entire PA setup in a 14'x20' room. I have no concept of overkill. I mean it's not like this poo poo doesn't have a volume control on it :v:

*edit: it's moving house in the next few months to a large workshop so it'll get more room to breathe.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, I'm having a weird problem.

My home theater setup is a big Westinghouse LCD running through a 1981 Akai Am-U33 stereo amplifier, and then out to some vintage speaker boxes (in walnut, of course) with Celestions. I run an X-Box, an aux audio cable for phones, and a turntable into the amplifier, and it has been a great sounding system for years.

A few months ago, I saw the light and got a firestick. I love it, and everything was good. Firestick runs into an HDMI port on the TV, and the TV runs to the amplifier via built in analog stereo outs on the TV and to the stereo in on the amp. Then about a month ago, certain apps would have a terrible overdrive to the audio. Like, HBO has terrible overdrive on everything it plays, as does Hulu sometimes. Netflix always works well, prime is iffy. Running Soma.fm through TuneIn works great, but I can't run spotify without, again, terrible overdrive. Here's the interesting bit - no problems from the turntable or ANYTHING I run through the X-Box.

Any thoughts at all?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think I want just a stereo setup for my room, but was wondering if I should just get a surround system in case I ever wanted a center channel. The two receivers I am looking at would be Denon AVR-S730H or Integra DTM-7 paired with KEF Q150s. Is the Integra going to be a much better option for just stereo speakers or should I just get the full surround system?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have that Integra and i really like it. For a bedroom I don’t think anything past stereo is that necessary. You can buy single Q150s on accessories4less now which is a much better option if you do go 3 channel than the gigantic q650.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks, I am leaning toward just stereo, just wasn't sure if just going stereo with the Integra has an advantage over getting the Denon (which I assume can do stereo).

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

I don’t think anything past stereo is that necessary.

Distilled it the essence for ya

:colbert:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you want to go full tweako you can buy Audessey for the Denon while the Integra has just tone, level and crossover. I like how simple it is though, my only real complaints would be the remote is pretty weak and there’s a CEC issue with Sony TVs.

I also got a refurb for ~50% off so for how good it sounds I feel like I got an amazing deal.

brunch with yr parents
Jan 6, 2013

SWEATBOX SYMPHONY
Hey, everyone. I'm looking for advice on a new receiver. I just pulled the trigger on the new 55" LG OLED and need something that will do 4K. Currently, I have a Yamaha TSR-6750 that works great, but doesn't have the capability to handle 4K. Looking for something that will at least pass through 4k (and dolby vision? Is that something that the receiver needs to handle if the tv can handle?), and take inputs from verizon fios box, new apple tv, Ultra-HD disc player, and PS4. It's in my basement, which is pretty small, so probably don't need more than 5.1. Currently have it hooked up to a Polk psw10, a big polk center, and surrounds from an old zenith all in one that I bought in, like, 2003. Will probably upgrade the surrounds, but keep the other two.

A lot of websites seem to recommend the Denon AVRS730H, which is fine, but I would love to stick with a Yamaha, and the Denon, as well as what I have now, is probably overkill. I looking to spend under $400, if possible, but not too big a deal to go a bit higher.

Thanks for the help!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

^I got my parents a Sony STR-DH590 and they couldn't be happier. It's excellent. I might buy one for myself too.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thoughts on the Aktimate Blue's? I'm looking for 2ch desktop (or possibly stands) speakers and these seem to tick all the boxes for connectivity. Simple squarish room, maybe 4x4m.

They seem to be discontinued but a local store has a set for a runout price at $600AUD.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The What Hifi review seems to say that they need space to sound good.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
So after ages of being firmly in the 2.0 camp I got a little used subwoofer and I’m....irritated with how pleased I am with it. Also after only spending $40 on it my opinion of getting literally everything audio related second hand is bolstered.

Currently about $500 spent total on a pair of Swans towers, NAD c740 receiver, NAD 542 CD player and the new Mirage BPS-100i sub for the living room setup. Happy as a clam.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Goddamn that thing looks enormous.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think it has a pretty standard volume for a sub, it's just shorter and wider.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Incessant Excess posted:

Goddamn that thing looks enormous.

It’s definitely not small but it looks bigger in the picture, it’s got two 6.5” woofers, one on each side with a port so it’s basically the size of two bookshelf speakers on their sides back to back.

Also, surprisingly good performance for a sub with small drivers and 100W

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DoesNotCompute posted:

So after ages of being firmly in the 2.0 camp I got a little used subwoofer and I’m....irritated with how pleased I am with it.

There are a LOT of people who only subscribe to tower life for some reason, purists I guess? ...but why would you deny yourself the chance of GOBS OF LOW END ?????????? To deny thyself the pleasure of bass is to deny thyself life.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I know I am not going to downgrade from my current setup with two 12" subs. And I don't even listen to super bass heavy music.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

There are a LOT of people who only subscribe to tower life for some reason, purists I guess? ...but why would you deny yourself the chance of GOBS OF LOW END ?????????? To deny thyself the pleasure of bass is to deny thyself life.

I think my hesitance was based on a few setups I heard where they just weren’t matched well. Just gobs of bass overtaking everything else.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I wish there were a market for reasonably priced passive woofers. This little Crown amp I have is good for full range but it would be better used for subs in my case. Has a crossover built in and everything. Sadly for passive subs these days it seems to be mostly kits, bottom of the barrel, or crazy high end/pro stuff. I guess I could try finding a cheap JL sub already in a box but :effort:

Really wish I hadn't gotten rid of that Boston Acoustics passive sub years ago. It was an absolute monster, even with just an 80x2 receiver running it. Very clean and fast, integrated well with basically no setup. It was way nicer than you would ever expect.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DoesNotCompute posted:

I think my hesitance was based on a few setups I heard where they just weren’t matched well. Just gobs of bass overtaking everything else.

Ported subs making a fuckload of distortion is not a pleasurable experience.

Panty Saluter posted:

I wish there were a market for reasonably priced passive woofers. This little Crown amp I have is good for full range but it would be better used for subs in my case. Has a crossover built in and everything. Sadly for passive subs these days it seems to be mostly kits, bottom of the barrel, or crazy high end/pro stuff. I guess I could try finding a cheap JL sub already in a box but :effort:

Decent passives like you say are mostly kits because companies can gouge you for including amplification in an MDF box along with the driver. $$$$

Keep a lookout for people selling Bill Fitzmaurice Table Tubas or Tube Home Theatre subs, those things whomp. Thing is though, nobody ever sells the things because they're just that good.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Find a used SVS woofer and build yourself a tube sub, problem solved.

It's not rocket science, folks.
Acoustics is way worse.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

i have a set of powered monitors hooked up to my pc via optical.

Is there a good way to add a subwoofer to this setup or is it just a bad idea? If its possible and not a bad idea, whats a good subwoofer option?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wibla posted:

Find a used SVS woofer and build yourself a tube sub, problem solved.

It's not rocket science, folks.
Acoustics is way worse.

This prompted me to search for SVS and their homepage....sure is something

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Panty Saluter posted:

You and me both, my other setup has a receiver feeding a power amp, the receiver power section isn’t used at all and can be bridged into 150W rms, 660 peak into 4ohms. Seems like plenty for a passive sub.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Good active subs are so cheap now that there just isn't much of a point to passive subs.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a good way to add a subwoofer to this setup or is it just a bad idea? If its possible and not a bad idea, whats a good subwoofer option?

No, not unless they have a line-level output that isn't listed in the specifications.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Thermopyle posted:

You can certainly add a sub, you just can't use the built-in DAC in those monitors since there's no output for a subwoofer. You can get a standalone DAC, output that to a subwoofer which will then pass the line-level audio back to the monitors. (most subs will do this, just make sure it has a line-in and line-out).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, no ideas on the firestick overdrive?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, no ideas on the firestick overdrive?

My one thought is it recently came out that people are hacking firesticks and using them for nefarious means if you've loaded certain things onto them... Maybe worth a bit of research.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My one thought is it recently came out that people are hacking firesticks and using them for nefarious means if you've loaded certain things onto them... Maybe worth a bit of research.

Tried this, and unfortunately no help. It's a very weird situation - why only the distortion through some apps on this one device? Everything else - everything - sounds amazing through that old Sansui.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Try it on another TV?