Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

God bless these valiant heroes for their service :911:

I'd put one of those "Support are Troops" things on my car if there was a way of clarifying that I was specifically referring to these guys

Uncle Enzo fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
Derek "Maestro" O'Malley didn't get busted too hard for the video. Last year he made full bird and got a job at the Pentagon, Senior Military Evaluator for Air Warfare Programs. He'd been an F-35 pilot before that when he was LTC at Nellis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qveowV-brb8

Couldn't figure out who "Freq" Casey is/was, though.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

I'm curious if any of them are even still in. They're not really the team players the AF seems to like.

Bear in mind that they did this thing in like.....2004. IIRC people got paperwork over it but it wasn't to the degree that the AF would loving murder people if they did something like this today. As you can see, one of the two dudes is now an O-6 (I'm pretty sure the other one got out.)

fake edit: hahahahaha holy loving poo poo, apparently O'Malley is a Mormon. Wouldn't have guessed that one.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

J.theYellow posted:

Derek "Maestro" O'Malley didn't get busted too hard for the video. Last year he made full bird and got a job at the Pentagon, Senior Military Evaluator for Air Warfare Programs. He'd been an F-35 pilot before that when he was LTC at Nellis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qveowV-brb8

Couldn't figure out who "Freq" Casey is/was, though.

that nerd been drinking the flavoraid hard

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

that nerd been drinking the flavoraid hard

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If there's one thing they're good at, it's doubling down on ridiculous bullshit.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I never met a Mormon that was a dick to guys under his command. They were always decent guys.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Reverand maynard posted:

I never met a Mormon that was a dick to guys under his command. They were always decent guys.

And they're champions of gay chicken ime

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Ideally, Mormon doctrine focuses more on the part of the New Testament when Jesus said "stop sperging over those dumb rules you got punished with and just don't be dicks to each other" than the "feel bad about every sin that's been done even if somebody else did it" that the Catholics do, and whatever fire and brimstone nonsense from the Old Testament that some of the less pleasant Protestant groups do.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Most of the Mormon officers I knew were some of the biggest pranksters. For some reason they got a kick out of pulling jokes on SNCOs.

There was one guy who spent every other day complaining to our flight commander that there was too much cussing in the office.

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde

Godholio posted:

If there's one thing they're good at, it's doubling down on ridiculous bullshit.

And judicious use of medicated powder in their magic pantaloons.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

J.theYellow posted:

And judicious use of medicated powder in their magic pantaloons.

Well it is like a breath mint for yo' nutsack.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It's a golden breath mint for your balls, but is it a godly breath mint for your balls?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Internet Wizard posted:

Ideally, Mormon doctrine focuses more on the part of the New Testament when Jesus said "stop sperging over those dumb rules you got punished with and just don't be dicks to each other" than the "feel bad about every sin that's been done even if somebody else did it" that the Catholics do, and whatever fire and brimstone nonsense from the Old Testament that some of the less pleasant Protestant groups do.

Mostly they focus on their own "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." The one where he's in the Americas converting the natives and helping them domesticate animals that didn't exist in the Americas at the time.

And the idea that they don't harp on personal guilt and shame each other is absolutely laughable. Didn't check all the boxes as a teenager to get promoted to the next level of priest? Get ready to be called out in front of everyone every week for the next few months until you cave and do it or give up on going to heaven forever. Oh, you don't feel like signing away two years of your life as a missionary to Buttfuckistan? Tsk tsk. It'll be worse for you here until that two years is up or you stop going to church completely.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 8, 2016

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
dont they get their own universe to be god over when they die or some batshittery like that too?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I married a nonpracticing Mormon who'd stopped going to church not because of any ideological reasons but simply because she couldn't stand going to a lovely social club every Sunday where all everyone did was passive-aggressively browbeat each other and gossip. They seem like nice enough people to outsiders but like hell I'd ever want to join that culture.

My former coworker, on the other hand actually got excommunicated by his bishop. Largely because he got caught blasting the bishop's daughter.

Godholio posted:

It'll be worse for you here until that two years is up or you stop going to church completely.

Don't forget that if you do leave they're going to send folks around to check up on you and try to get you to come back for years. And it can take a lawsuit in order for the LDS church to finally drop you off the 'inactive' rolls so folks will stop harassing you.

Wild T fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 8, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There used to be a stretch of I-15 running through the south portion of the SLC metro (Sandy-ish) that was "adopted" by a group named something like "The Ex-Mormons Club."

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Memento posted:

Well it is like a breath mint for yo' nutsack.

I used that medicated foot powder on my balls. You do not want

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
i had a mormon for a boss once. he was the most passive aggressive motherfucker ever

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

I took the ASVAB blind without really knowing what the components of it were or how it was scored. My recruiter drove me to the testing center the evening after I had worked a full day and afterwards we were booked at a vacant hotel to be bused the next day to our physical.

My roommate at the hotel scored an 11 on the ASVAB. I didn't know at the time that this basically meant he was either borderline mentally retarded or he had skipped half the exams intentionally. He told me he wanted to be one of the guys with the "glow sticks" directing jets to take off on an aircraft carrier. That night while I was trying to get some sleep he stayed up and roamed the hotel trying to find some of the "hot chicks" (our fellow enlistees) to party with.

This might not count because I don't think they would recruit someone who scored so low but maybe he tried again and got in eventually. When I told my recruiter about him the next day she laughed so hard she almost had to pull over the car.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Lazy Reservist posted:

Most of the Mormon officers I knew were some of the biggest pranksters. For some reason they got a kick out of pulling jokes on SNCOs.

The Book of Mormon is one huge prank, so it makes sense.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Jerkops posted:

My roommate at the hotel scored an 11 on the ASVAB. I didn't know at the time that this basically meant he was either borderline mentally retarded or he had skipped half the exams intentionally. He told me he wanted to be one of the guys with the "glow sticks" directing jets to take off on an aircraft carrier. That night while I was trying to get some sleep he stayed up and roamed the hotel trying to find some of the "hot chicks" (our fellow enlistees) to party with.

You better show respect to your future CSM.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Godholio posted:

Mostly they focus on their own "Another Testament of Jesus Christ." The one where he's in the Americas converting the natives and helping them domesticate animals that didn't exist in the Americas at the time.

And the idea that they don't harp on personal guilt and shame each other is absolutely laughable. Didn't check all the boxes as a teenager to get promoted to the next level of priest? Get ready to be called out in front of everyone every week for the next few months until you cave and do it or give up on going to heaven forever. Oh, you don't feel like signing away two years of your life as a missionary to Buttfuckistan? Tsk tsk. It'll be worse for you here until that two years is up or you stop going to church completely.

Notice the "ideally" part.

And yeah people getting super weird about somebody not going on a mission the moment they turn 19 was basically the last straw in making me stop going to church.

And then years later I enlisted. Coincidence?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Jerkops posted:

He told me he wanted to be one of the guys with the "glow sticks" directing jets to take off on an aircraft carrier.

ABHs have it pretty cake IMO. They barely carry any chains!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Good story from This American Life about a surreal series of safety shows they used to do at Ft Bragg in the 80s and 90s.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/549/amateur-hour?act=1#play

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
gently caress you I'm not watching another safety brief

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

Zeris posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Wild T posted:

I married a nonpracticing Mormon who'd stopped going to church not because of any ideological reasons but simply because she couldn't stand going to a lovely social club every Sunday where all everyone did was passive-aggressively browbeat each other and gossip. They seem like nice enough people to outsiders but like hell I'd ever want to join that culture.

My former coworker, on the other hand actually got excommunicated by his bishop. Largely because he got caught blasting the bishop's daughter.

As an aside, every Mormon male is a "priest." A "bishop" is what every other denomination would call a "minster" or "pastor."

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
So what do you call the boys? "fair game"

smertrioslol
Apr 4, 2010

Zeris posted:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

As an aside, every Mormon male is a "retard." A "bishop" is what every other denomination would call a "retard in chief".

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Mods rename me to "Retard in Chief"

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Scratch Monkey posted:

Good story from This American Life about a surreal series of safety shows they used to do at Ft Bragg in the 80s and 90s.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/549/amateur-hour?act=1#play

I was at Bragg from 91-93 and don't remember these rear end-clowns.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The funniest part of Mormon culture is that it's like a combination of a religion, a ponzi scheme and the FRG. They won't just let you show up on Sunday, sing a few songs, eat a piece of bread and go home. In order to be a 'good' member who's allowed into their temple and get into Superheaven you need to be donating at least 10% of your check (and they will schedule interviews to go over your income with you if they think you're skimping, and interrogate you about your masturbation habits while you're there), and be volunteering in one of the millions of little sub-functions they have around their ward. They have a hilariously bulletproof excuse if they want you to spend hours of your life working on some lovely church project, too, where they just say that they "went home and prayed about it" and your name came down directly from the mouth of God. It's no wonder Mormons thrive in the military; the stuff we consider unnecessary bullshit is ingrained into everyday life for them.

The funniest one I've seen is the 'Singles Ward' where they basically shove all the unmarried 18+ Mormons into a room and attempt to get them to marry one another because if you're 20 years old and haven't married and started pumping out those babies you're wrong.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So it's Scientology with tax-exempt status

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

So it's Scientology with tax-exempt status

Scientology is tax exempt.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So it's Scientology.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Wild T posted:

The funniest part of Mormon culture is that it's like a combination of a religion, a ponzi scheme and the FRG. They won't just let you show up on Sunday, sing a few songs, eat a piece of bread and go home. In order to be a 'good' member who's allowed into their temple and get into Superheaven you need to be donating at least 10% of your check (and they will schedule interviews to go over your income with you if they think you're skimping, and interrogate you about your masturbation habits while you're there), and be volunteering in one of the millions of little sub-functions they have around their ward. They have a hilariously bulletproof excuse if they want you to spend hours of your life working on some lovely church project, too, where they just say that they "went home and prayed about it" and your name came down directly from the mouth of God. It's no wonder Mormons thrive in the military; the stuff we consider unnecessary bullshit is ingrained into everyday life for them.

The funniest one I've seen is the 'Singles Ward' where they basically shove all the unmarried 18+ Mormons into a room and attempt to get them to marry one another because if you're 20 years old and haven't married and started pumping out those babies you're wrong.

Lots of mormon chicks are hot and I bet they are into butt stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Lots of mormon chicks are hot and I bet they are into butt stuff.

in my experience yes and yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

in my experience yes and yes

How nostalgic are you for Mormon butts?

Added flavor: The two year mission isnt entirely paid for by the tithe. You gotta dip into some of your own family cash to get to where you need to serve the lord.