Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I would like a new Excalibur book.

They could call it BreXit-Men. You know, keep it topical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

Teenage Fansub posted:

Considering who would be exciting writing these X-teams, I suddenly felt Tom King's absence in a profound way. I would trade in all the Batmans.

Seriously. I mean, surely they've already got (most) everything going set, but if we're tossing hats in the ring, I'd go for another round of Gillen and Whedon. New voices, I get it, but I also never expected Lemire to flop so bad. Bunn, sure, but not Lemire.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I hope the Phoenix brings everyone back but then singles out Hank and burns him to nothing in a 2 page spread while everyone claps because gently caress you, Hank. You are and will forever be the worst.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I'm so excited about the possibility of a return to good x-men again. They were the first comic characters I got interested in but the last 10 years of comics have pretty well turned me off them.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

RIP Frank

https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/789830547975659521

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
May not have enjoyed his art in the last decade but the dude made some good work in his career and by all accounts was a super nice person

Sucks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I hope the Phoenix brings everyone back but then singles out Hank and burns him to nothing in a 2 page spread while everyone claps because gently caress you, Hank. You are and will forever be the worst.

Ewww, burnt cat hair.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm that guy who likes comics enough to go to a pull list site and make a list of everything I want to read for the week, but not enough to read "news". So it's common that I get invested into things on the verge of getting cancelled in months to come. So of course I'm disappointed that Venom is getting rebooted with new people (and apparently ditching Flash completely) after this week's issue.

Flash's last solo book got cancelled after they introduced Mania and went in a whole new direction, and then several years later when a new team comes back and ties that story back in they get cancelled as well. I guess Flash and Andi will both lose the symbiote, which kind of sucks. I should just be happy that she came back, but Mania was a neat design and weird idea that could have gone places if editorial edicts didn't keep getting in the way. My favorite idea was just Universe hopping her into Spider-Gwen's own Venom.

Venom is just one of those things where an angsty teenage counterpart initially seems weird but actually makes a sort of sense.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
If you get the chance, I really enjoy the issue of Punisher that Dillon wrote and drew for the old "Nuff Said" event.

Every issue in the event had zero or close to zero spoken dialogue with a script sample in the back. I remember Dillon's "script samples" were several pages of one to three handwritten words, then a self-portrait of himself having a beer.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo. I myself wasn't a fan but that's a huge loss.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wanderer posted:

If you get the chance, I really enjoy the issue of Punisher that Dillon wrote and drew for the old "Nuff Said" event.

Every issue in the event had zero or close to zero spoken dialogue with a script sample in the back. I remember Dillon's "script samples" were several pages of one to three handwritten words, then a self-portrait of himself having a beer.

The New X-Men and Amazing Spider-Man issues were good. I also remember Iron Man and Titanium Man fighting in space, Bendis' Elektra

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I liked him when he was just a big hairy emo fuckboy. But then he got the hot green-haired girlfriend and felt really comfortable being a self-righteous dick to everyone and it was all down hill from there.

I guess it's a realistic character arc.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would like a new Excalibur book.

They could call it BreXit-Men. You know, keep it topical.

Has enough time passed that Claremont salting the earth on that and Exiles has worn off?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Man, I can't believe I'm the first one to mention how awesome Thor was this week. Some of those Odin poses you can tell were borrowed from Kirby. And it's such a minor thing, but I love how the hammer glows to produce light.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hey I mentioned the space sharks days ago, that counts

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

TwoPair posted:

You know, I just realized that they never really answered what Singularity's deal was. I know everybody had these theories back during Secret Wars about how she would be an incursion survivor or 616 Kitty Pryde because of that Black Mirror thing from ANXM. And in both the SW A-force mini and in this iteration of A-force everybody's like "What's this girl made of and why/how can she teleport?"... but then it turns out the answer is "Meh, whatever :shrug:"

I figure she's Franklin's imaginary friend.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Newbie question: why do I see some recent TPBs completely out of stock with $50+ used prices? Has the digital shift really gutted the distribution numbers for them that strongly? The price on Comixology is decent but if physical copies weren't collector rare I'd prefer something I can carry around.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Why would you have to make Cyclops a hero again. His progression to villainous super prick was an interesting one. Plus you've got young Cyclops now who can be haunted by his potential to also become a villainous super prick driving him to not be one.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

I think there's a lot to mine in a guy who comes back humble from a dark night of the soul, and if anyone is set to carry it, its Cyclops these days.

I'm cool with him dying, both versions chilling out in present day, whatever... but I'd really have a little heartache if he died without any kind of redemption. I don't consider Scott a villain per say, more that I consider him a guy who doesn't give a drat anymore after the tenth billion crisis to save his species.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Infamous Iron Man starts off so loving well, holy poo poo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

datingvolcanoes posted:

I think there's a lot to mine in a guy who comes back humble from a dark night of the soul, and if anyone is set to carry it, its Cyclops these days.

I'm cool with him dying, both versions chilling out in present day, whatever... but I'd really have a little heartache if he died without any kind of redemption. I don't consider Scott a villain per say, more that I consider him a guy who doesn't give a drat anymore after the tenth billion crisis to save his species.

Don't worry. In a decade a writer will come in, reveal Scott was possessed by an evil space bug, and then everyone will pretend it never happened and Scott is flawless and awesome.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's no need to pretend things that are true

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Don't worry. In a decade a writer will come in, reveal Scott was possessed by an evil space bug, and then everyone will pretend it never happened and Scott is flawless and awesome.

That would be the worst. Unless they reference the Black Bug Room and I go wild.

Somebody do something with the dude's GD black box brain for the love of Pete.

Edit: not to conflate the two, I just figure one of these things should be used sometime. Between them and his former Phoenix status for the White Hot Room, I'm just waiting. And I will die waiting.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Did the sliver of void that he had locked in his head ever get brought up again?

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

No, and I have yet to let go of that beautiful, stupid dream.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Infamous Iron Man starts off so loving well, holy poo poo.

yea I've been curious about doom since the end of secret wars, he's been pretty interesting in invincible iron man and infamous starts off strong

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
i've started to read the entire ultimate universe line. boy elektra, daredevil, and the iron man mini series are all absolute poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the only consistently good ultimate line comic is spider-man. the others can be good sometimes (I think f4 was supposed to have a good run but I didn't read it) but mostly the ultimate line is a tire fire

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

i've started to read the entire ultimate universe line. boy elektra, daredevil, and the iron man mini series are all absolute poo poo.

The first two Iron Man minis aren't even canon to the Ultimate line. They're written off in one of the later volumes of Ultimates. The Armor Wars mini and Ultimate Human mini are good Ultimate Iron Man minis though. Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Fantastic Four are pretty great all the way through, Ultimate X-Men is at times a complete mess and at times pretty interesting. Most of the Ultimates stuff by Millar and Loeb is pretty bad, except maybe the one volume focusing on Red Skull which I enjoyed. Don't even bother with Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Team-Up as they are not important at all and most of Team-Up is non-canon.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

The first two Iron Man minis aren't even canon to the Ultimate line. They're written off in one of the later volumes of Ultimates. The Armor Wars mini and Ultimate Human mini are good Ultimate Iron Man minis though. Ultimate Spider-Man and Ultimate Fantastic Four are pretty great all the way through, Ultimate X-Men is at times a complete mess and at times pretty interesting. Most of the Ultimates stuff by Millar and Loeb is pretty bad, except maybe the one volume focusing on Red Skull which I enjoyed. Don't even bother with Ultimate Adventures and Ultimate Team-Up as they are not important at all and most of Team-Up is non-canon.

I have read UFF, the first 2 Ultimates, and a third of USM. I like UFFand Ultimates, but think USM is overrated.

Everything else i'm reading is just awful. Ultimate adventures and Team-Up are not good either.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Mr Hootington posted:

please tell me when you get to the Avengers storyline where Captain America taunts the Hulk. I want to see the reaction.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Finally finished my books for the last week and jesus christ cyclops is such a huge piece of poo poo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol you bought more marvel event books

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know what's weird? On the interview with Jay and Miles, Soule sounds like he really gets it, and what he needs to do, but then Death of X is not showing that. Maybe it is Lemire that's screwing everything up?

Also Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe is awesome and adorable and I love it so much.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't wanna dogpile on the guy because I've really nothing against him but...yes, it's almost certainly Lemire's fault. He's in the charge of the X-Men side, which is the side that's terribly-depicted, and his work on Extraordinary has been fairly unremarkable to boot.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

twistedmentat posted:

Also Squirrel Girl beats up the Marvel Universe is awesome and adorable and I love it so much.

I encourage everyone to buy and read it! It does a perfect job explaining just exactly why she is the best at what she does. I love Ryan Norths computer sciencey approach to her character.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Sooo regarding Infamous Iron Man #1, Tony Stark's death is presumably going to happen in the final two issues of Civil War II right? That wasn't something that I missed in some other random-rear end book yes?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Squirrel Girl accidentally kills him in Squirrel Girl Accidentally Kills Tony Stark #4

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea that hasn't happened yet (well, you know what I mean) and will presumably be in civil war 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Squirrel Girl accidentally kills him in Squirrel Girl Accidentally Kills Tony Stark #4

That's what he gets for Ironmansplaning.

• Locked thread