Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JeffersonClay posted:

There's no coherent argument where Hillary is a monster for benefitting from (but not instituting) a system of prison labor in Arkansas that doesn't also indict FDR (or Jimmy Carter) to a much more substantial degree. I don't want to indict any of them.
Hillary was not a wartime leader in 1940s US, and she did what she did post-civil rights. Maybe that is relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

Hillary was not a wartime leader in 1940s US, and she did what she did post-civil rights. Maybe that is relevant?

Why is that relevant except as an excuse for racism against Japanese people, rudatron?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

Are you aware that black people voted massively for Hillary Clinton in both the primary and general election? Because your theory requires that they be too stupid/ignorant to know that Hillary Clinton is super racist.

seems like something happened in 2016 that changed a lot of minds

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Are you aware that black people voted massively for Hillary Clinton in both the primary and general election? Because your theory requires that they be too stupid/ignorant to know that Hillary Clinton is super racist.

There's a lot of evidence that this was a generational divide and that black people younger than 40 went overwhelmingly for Sanders

quote:

A poll of black voters in California commissioned by the African American Voter Registration Education Participation Project conducted by Evitarus found that 71% of 800 likely voters surveyed supported Clinton. But among the black voters younger than 40, half said they would probably vote for Sanders, compared with 34% for Clinton. The poll had a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brainiac Five posted:

OK, so now you've come up with the alternate theory: racism is logical. I guess you ignored the "primary" part of the post, so go ahead and try again.

Black people are racist against themselves for making a logical choice?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

People like ice cream, we should nominate ice cream for president. Also I didn't say anything about your Great Maple Hope, fuckface.

VitalSigns posted:

There's a lot of evidence that this was a generational divide and that black people younger than 40 when overwhelmingly for Sanders

So only black people under the age of 40 are smart enough to know what racism is, and you also lied by saying a 10-point margin is "overwhelmingly". I mean, it's interesting how you immediately run to defend your god-king, but it's not particularly relevant except as an example of how pathetic you are.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Brainiac Five posted:

Yeah but I don't know what reasons they had for that so I'm not going to try and speak about black people as though I did or treat them like a hive-mind who all think alike. I'm talking about the Hillary primary voters we had on these forums whose arguments I actually read at the time.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Why is that relevant except as an excuse for racism against Japanese people, rudatron?
Because I think you should judge people based on the context they are in. Why is that controversial?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Futuresight posted:

Yeah but I don't know what reasons they had for that so I'm not going to try and speak about black people as though I did or treat them like a hive-mind who all think alike. I'm talking about the Hillary primary voters we had on these forums whose arguments I actually read at the time.

No, you're not, you're making general statements. Also I love that you don't know any black people in real life. Very fitting.

rudatron posted:

Because I think you should judge people based on the context they are in. Why is that controversial?

It's not "controversial", it's just morally abhorrent.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
And why is that?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

rudatron posted:

And why is that?

Because it's possible to construct a context in which any action is justifiable, so it becomes impossible to make moral judgments about anything. It's a way to avoid condemning immorality. I am not surprised you want a way to do so, since it probably makes you feel better about yourself to think that you're in a "context" where your victimizations are justifiable.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

People like ice cream, we should nominate ice cream for president. Also I didn't say anything about your Great Maple Hope, fuckface.

... yikes

anyways, he has a higher favorability with black people than Hillary ever had

could it be possible that Bernie didn't run his campaign as well as Clinton and thusly lost the primary as opposed to "Hillary was the least racist candidate because more black people voted for her"

"well more black voters voted for her... RACIST!" is the weakest Clinton defense I've seen put forth in a while

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

So only black people under the age of 40 are smart enough to know what racism is, and you also lied by saying a 10-point margin is "overwhelmingly". I mean, it's interesting how you immediately run to defend your god-king, but it's not particularly relevant except as an example of how pathetic you are.

A 16-point margin is a landslide but okay.

It's evidence that race was not the significant factor in predicting support for Bernie or Clinton, age was.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

... yikes

anyways, he has a higher favorability with black people than Hillary ever had

could it be possible that Bernie didn't run his campaign as well as Clinton and thusly lost the primary as opposed to "Hillary was the least racist candidate because more black people voted for her"

Aw gee, ma, Bernie Sanders ran his campaign poorly so I just gotta vote for the super racist.

Did this even sound convincing in your head?

VitalSigns posted:

A 16-point margin is a landslide but okay.

It's evidence that race was not the significant factor in predicting support for Bernie or Clinton, age was.

No, it isn't, because it's a poll of Californians, not people nationwide, nor is it actual exit poll data. Anyways, the argument then becomes that old people are unable to figure out what racism is, and also that a third of black people are so stupid they voted for the super racist.

Brainiac Five fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 15, 2017

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

Aw gee, ma, Bernie Sanders ran his campaign poorly so I just gotta vote for the super racist.

Did this even sound convincing in your head?

"Who's Bernie Sanders?"
-95% of the country, the day he announces his campaign

also Hillary Clinton is far from what I'd call super racist. I mean, she's bad, but the bar is pretty high for super racism, even in 2017.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

rudatron posted:

The best thing the mods could do for you, is quarantine you to a select number of places (d&d chat, etc.), until you learn to communicate with people in a way that's not looking for confrontation, baiting responses to validate yourself.

the best thing the mods could do would be permaban him but he spends like a hundo on re-regs per account

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Brainiac Five posted:

No, you're not, you're making general statements. Also I love that you don't know any black people in real life. Very fitting.

If I knew a thousand black people it would not be enough to speak to the reasons for why all the black people who voted Hillary did so. Also I was not talking about voting for Hillary in the post you quoted. I said exactly this: "The two main reasons Hillary was pushed as better than Bernie". Got nothing to do with voting, just about the people pushing her. I did this because I know what reasons they had for voting for her because they gave them.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Brainiac Five posted:

Because it's possible to construct a context in which any action is justifiable, so it becomes impossible to make moral judgments about anything. It's a way to avoid condemning immorality. I am not surprised you want a way to do so, since it probably makes you feel better about yourself to think that you're in a "context" where your victimizations are justifiable.
But we're not arguing if the internment was justified. A particularly dumb hillshill tried to equivocate between Clinton's house slaves and internment. That was not a valid comparison.

Why do you keep melting down? Why do you feel so bitter?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

"Who's Bernie Sanders?"
-95% of the country, the day he announces his campaign

also Hillary Clinton is far from what I'd call super racist. I mean, she's bad, but the bar is pretty high for super racism, even in 2017.

Okay, so all the stuff about how racist she is is just hyperbolic post-truth poo poo. I guess there's no point in further discussion then.

Futuresight posted:

If I knew a thousand black people it would not be enough to speak to the reasons for why all the black people who voted Hillary did so. Also I was not talking about voting for Hillary in the post you quoted. I said exactly this: "The two main reasons Hillary was pushed as better than Bernie". Got nothing to do with voting, just about the people pushing her. I did this because I know what reasons they had for voting for her because they gave them.

Uh huh. I'm real sure.

rudatron posted:

But we're not arguing if the internment was justified. A particularly dumb hillshill tried to equivocate between Clinton's house slaves and internment. That was not a valid comparison.

Why do you keep melting down? Why do you feel so bitter?

"House slaves"?

Jesus loving Christ. Why do y'all try to equate chattel slavery with prison labor?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Futuresight posted:

Exactly. There were a lot of reasons people may have voted for Clinton, for example, some made the same mistake that many of us did in assuming that most Americans are moderate centrists to whom Clinton had wide appeal, and that she was an experienced political operator who would steamroll an inexperienced orange idiot with the greatest technological get-out-the-vote operation the world has ever seen, and therefore voted for her in a lesser-of-two-evils strategy.

From that same article:

quote:

Kenneth Finch, 49, of Ladera Heights said his beliefs align with Sanders, but fears he doesn’t have the support to win in a match against the Republican nominee, Donald Trump.

“I like Bernie,” said Finch, as he sat atop his sleek black-and-chrome Yamaha motorcycle. “He has the right idea, but I’m more of a chess player, and any effort to support Bernie at this time point is a vote of Trump.”

I myself despite supporting Sanders and voting for him to send a message to the Democratic Party feared he was a gamble and was secretly relieved that Hillary won the primary, thinking that although I didn't like her a lot of other people did and she could at least guarantee Donald Trump would never set foot in the Oval Office lol.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, so all the stuff about how racist she is is just hyperbolic post-truth poo poo. I guess there's no point in further discussion then.

No, it just doesn't meet the criteria for super racism. Think more like... this guy

I'm just all about voting for a president who hasn't relied on slave labor in their home. That seems like a reasonable bar to set for ourselves in 2020. It's not so much that Hillary Clinton was beyond the pale racist, it's more that she's failed to apologize for these things and probably never will.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Jesus loving Christ. Why do y'all try to equate chattel slavery with prison labor?

Because the postbellum prison labor system in the United States and especially the former Confederacy was designed deliberately to be the continuation of African American chattel slavery under another name.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Exactly. There were a lot of reasons people may have voted for Clinton, for example, some made the same mistake that many of us did in assuming that most Americans are moderate centrists to whom Clinton had wide appeal, and that she was an experienced political operator who would steamroll an inexperienced orange idiot with the greatest technological get-out-the-vote operation the world has ever seen, and therefore voted for her in a lesser-of-two-evils strategy.

The point here is that you're saying Clinton is extremely racist, so the question of why people voted to have her do more racism on them is open.

Unless, like NFS, you're willing to admit that those posts are all bullshit meant to lash out at people, in which case I have to say I'll be spending the next day laughing at all your self-righteous posts about me then.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

No, it just doesn't meet the criteria for super racism. Think more like... this guy

I'm just all about voting for a president who hasn't relied on slave labor in their home. That seems like a reasonable bar to set for ourselves in 2020. It's not so much that Hillary Clinton was beyond the pale racist, it's more that she's failed to apologize for these things and probably never will.

Good luck finding someone who hasn't relied on products of prison labor, though! That's an interesting bar to set, because it's not actually attainable and so it allows you to attack any candidate you don't approve of for other reasons.

VitalSigns posted:

Because the postbellum prison labor system in the United States and especially the former Confederacy was designed deliberately to be the continuation of African American chattel slavery under another name.

Ah, so white people are free from ever experiencing prison labor?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Brainiac Five posted:

Good luck finding someone who hasn't relied on products of prison labor, though! That's an interesting bar to set, because it's not actually attainable and so it allows you to attack any candidate you don't approve of for other reasons.

No, like the slave labor takes place in their home. Not many people have that these days. Like I think it's a worthy distinction between a mailman who's uniform was made by a prisoner and Hillary Clinton having a slave make her dinner but I guess not if you're you? Maybe my bar is too high for an antiracist politician of your caliber but I think if you compromise with the left you might actually get what you're looking for without having to pay too much more in taxes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

The point here is that you're saying Clinton is extremely racist, so the question of why people voted to have her do more racism on them is open.

Unless, like NFS, you're willing to admit that those posts are all bullshit meant to lash out at people, in which case I have to say I'll be spending the next day laughing at all your self-righteous posts about me then.

There are a million reasons to vote for Hillary Clinton despite her enthusiastic embrace of the South's ""peculiar institution"". For example, the (mistaken) belief that she was more likely to win the general and therefore voting for her is the smart tactical choice for the lesser-of-two-slavery-lovers. You cannot generalize the feelings of all black people from the minority of America's black population that voted in the primaries and voted for her.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Good luck finding someone who hasn't relied on products of prison labor, though!

Is that a cotton shirt you're wearing, Mr Lincoln?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NewForumSoftware posted:

No, like the slave labor takes place in their home. Not many people have that these days. Like I think it's a worthy distinction between a mailman who's uniform was made by a prisoner and Hillary Clinton having a slave make her dinner but I guess not if you're you?

And what exactly could she have done about it? You're positioning this as "she relied on prison labor" rather than "she said racist things about it" and that's a weak argument, comparatively. I mean, it's still an argument that relies on people being literally unable to change their mind on anything in the stronger form, and thus since you've made sexist jokes in the past you're a misogynist forever, but it's at least an argument that doesn't rely on the Triumph of the Will to make it work.

VitalSigns posted:

There are a million reasons to vote for Hillary Clinton despite her enthusiastic embrace of the South's ""peculiar institution"". For example, the (mistaken) belief that she was more likely to win the general and therefore voting for her is the smart tactical choice for the lesser-of-two-slavery-lovers. You cannot generalize the feelings of all black people from the minority of America's black population that voted in the primaries and voted for her.

Okay, so your argument is that black people didn't care about her huuuge levels of racism because they're all super tactical voters. It seems to me that you are trying to avoid the conclusion that people disagreed with you about her level of racism in ways that you can't immediately dismiss, and that they did so in large enough numbers that you can''t write them off as mentally inferior.

VitalSigns posted:

Is that a cotton shirt you're wearing, Mr Lincoln?

You understand that the point of that comic is the actual opposite of the point you are making?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Ah, so white people are free from ever experiencing prison labor?
          \
            \
              \

Okay Bill O'Reilly. The US justice system can't be racist because white prisoners exist, you've defeated the lying ess-jay-dubbelyoos

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
A good start for this argument would be for you two to lay out the lawmaking powers of being the wife of the Governor of Arkansas that would allow Hillary Clinton to pardon the prisoners or bar prison labor from being used.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

rudatron posted:

Right, because the Japanese internment was much worse than a few dozen prisoners serving life sentences volunteering to work in the governor's mansion. Incomparably worse.

Here's you attempting to whitewash internment, again:

rudatron posted:

FDR died like 70 years ago, was a great statesman who made a lot of positive changes. Internment wasn't great, but in the context of the time wasn't that noticeable.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

\
            \
              \

Okay Bill O'Reilly. The US justice system can't be racist because white prisoners exist, you've defeated the lying ess-jay-dubbelyoos

"Is racist" is not "is chattel slavery" and suggesting that an institution people of all races go through, but which is racist against nonwhites, is equivalent to one that only black and American Indian people experienced is utterly disgusting. It's a way to downplay the evils of chattel slavery just like slaveowners insisting wage labor is also slavery was.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Brainiac Five posted:

Okay, so your argument is that black people didn't care about her huuuge levels of racism because they're all super tactical voters. It seems to me that you are trying to avoid the conclusion that people disagreed with you about her level of racism in ways that you can't immediately dismiss, and that they did so in large enough numbers that you can''t write them off as mentally inferior.

Black Hillary primary voters are a minority of all black people in the USA, and interviews with them reveal a wide range of reasons that they voted for her.

Stop lumping all black people into a hive mind.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Like, according to the people in this thread, white people in American, right this very second, are experiencing chattel slavery. What the gently caress.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The house-slave thing only got press post-election. Bringing up primaries stuff is irrelevant.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Black Hillary primary voters are a minority of all black people in the USA, and interviews with them reveal a wide range of reasons that they voted for her.

Stop lumping all black people into a hive mind.

I'm not suggesting any reasons for why black people voted primarily for Hillary, but I find it funny how you're going to "they didn't REALLY vote for her" now. This is really disgusting.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Brainiac Five posted:

A good start for this argument would be for you two to lay out the lawmaking powers of being the wife of the Governor of Arkansas that would allow Hillary Clinton to pardon the prisoners or bar prison labor from being used.

She could have talked to her husband about it and told him she thought it was wrong? She could have refused to live in the mansion while it used prison slaves? I mean, between being married to her and not wanting it to blow up and become a thing affecting his future election chances, I feel like Bill probably would have done something about it if she had actually objected strongly to it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

JeffersonClay posted:

Right, because the Japanese internment was much worse than a few dozen prisoners serving life sentences volunteering to work in the governor's mansion. Incomparably worse.

Here's you attempting to whitewash internment, again:
Thats not what white washing is. You made a dumb comparison, I listed reasons why it was dumb. That's it. Your dishonesty isn't going to fly.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Brainiac Five posted:

And what exactly could she have done about it?

She could have announced that she would not be moving into the AK governor's mansion while it was staffed with slave labor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Futuresight posted:

She could have talked to her husband about it and told him she thought it was wrong? She could have refused to live in the mansion while it used prison slaves? I mean, between being married to her, loving her, and not wanting it to blow up and become a thing affecting his future election chances, I feel like Bill probably would have done something about it if she had actually objected strongly to it.

So, she could have done nothing to actually liberate the people involved. She could have suggested to her husband. Well, Bill Clinton is not Hillary Clinton, and unless we're raging misogynists, his racism isn't hers. Furthermore, the Arkansas use of prison labor in the governor's mansion is by statute. Furthermore, the only thing this would change is the symbolic aspect, since the prisoners would still be used for labor elsewhere. I guess the really bad part is the symbolism, and not the fact that labor is being compelled from primarily nonwhite people.

Furthermore, this post implies that Bill Clinton would have ended prison labor if not for Hillary Clinton, who is thus responsible for prison labor. That's so grotesque I don't really know where to begin with it, apart from the fact that NFS and the rest of the LFugee brigade will seize on it and cackle about how that uppity whore Clinton will get what's coming to her.

• Locked thread