Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

without a doubt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

mackintosh posted:

without a doubt

You should start supporting Bayern, we've got your favorite Polish player after all

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://soundcloud.com/footy-songs/messi-featuring-ray-hudson

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The stars and bars of Mississippi really grated on me at half time. I wondered as I watched him pose for pictures: Does he know this flag's history in soccer? Has he seen the guys who wave it in Germany Sweden Russia and Italy? France? Did FIFA notice? Do they care?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
That's a very nice straw-man argument you've made. I was actually very much against signing Dempsey at the time...thought it was a waste of money when we already had Claus Jensen and Michael Brown playing well, and Bullard supposedly on his way back. McBride played a role in my following Fulham, since I've been a big fan of his since he played for my local club in the second division over here.

If you want to talk about history, let's try to put things into perspective. Your club only exists because we refused to play our games at the Dog Track. Remember when Michael Keaton's Batman threw Jack Nicholson into the chemical vat, thus creating Joker? I'm sure you'll see what I'm getting at.

But anyway, I wasn't even talking about Fulham's history in the post you quoted, so I don't see how that is relevant.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
I never watched soccer until the '06 World Cup. I don't know why that set me off, but I've loved it ever since. I had no understanding of the soccer world outside of my friend telling me that it was crazy in Europe so I decided that I had to pick a team from England, because I figured it would be pointless to cheer for a team that didn't speak my language.

Anyway, the way I went about choosing was looking at the crests of the Premiership on a logo site. Again, I had no understanding of the soccer world, had no idea that it was worse than MLB in lack of parity, and I had no clue that relegation existed.

From there I had narrowed the list to Aston Villa, Chelsea and Arsenal. I really liked lions and cannons, I guess. It was at that point that I realized that choosing because I liked their crest was ridiculous and looked up who Thierry Henry played for - for the life of me I can't explain why he was my favorite player from the World Cup, but he was - and saw that it was Arsenal. Seeing as how that was one of my three, I decided to watch a game of theirs while pretending they were my club. It was an FA Cup game in '07 at Anfield. Henry beat Carragher to a ball that he passed to himself at put it in for the 3-1 lead, which got me kind of into them, so I watched a second one when I saw it was on FSC.

It was Man U at the Emirates. Two Arsenal goals in the final 10 minutes, with the winner on an Henry header from Eboue in stoppage time. I went ballistic. Absolutely nuts. It was a team I had followed for 2 games, one of which I didn't even know didn't count towards the season standings, and I was tearing apart my family's living room in celebration. So I had to see another one.

This time it was Wigan at the Emirates, with another 2 goal comeback in the final 10'. The final goal was the infamous celebration with Henry giving the ball to Wigan's GK telling him to hold onto it now. Again, went nuts. I still hadn't really even looked at the standings and probably would've held back the celebration had I known that they were supposed to beat Wigan fairly easily...especially at home.

At that point the bastards got me hooked. They had me believing that every game they were going to provide me with at least one moment of pure jubilation, and that down 1-nil was just a silly ploy to make the win feel even better. How do you not fall for a team that makes you feel that way straight out of the gate? I didn't know I was going to be despised for cheering for a "big four" team, whatever-the-hell that meant, and I didn't know that I was going to see them crush their fans for 3 straight years.

What a joy it has been to be called a bandwagon jumper for a team that wins nothing.:rolleyes:

I know that this isn't the same as gowing up in Islington, and I know that I am not a Gooner by any stretch - my BSname was a stupid mistake made by an ignorant American who didn't understand quite what he was doing yet, and wishes he could take it back. I've also realized that I am still only earning my way into being called a true Gunner supporter. Hell, I will never claim to be anywhere close to as true as those that go to every game - especially since I am one of those people when it comes to the Kansas City Chiefs - but I feel like I've at least put forth enough time, and spent enough money, to be able to put them under my 'club supporter' list.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

why do these people treat football clubs like pokemon? just be a neutral if you're going to support 500 teams ffs

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
What was his BS name? Is this Bend It 7 or whatever from earlier?

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

case closed

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Wrong thread.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

lol

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

This owns

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the triangles post but about dendrology

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
So it looks like the club I started rooting for this year (Hull) is headed to relegation, which means I'll be looking to support a new EPL team next season. The reason I chose Hull was for Jozy and their support of American players, but we see how they treated him in the end with no time on the pitch. Anyway, I was thinking of Fulham since they support American players as well. But does anyone know how long Dempsey has a contract for with them? Will he be there next season? What other clubs secured American players I could take a look at?

I should have been more clear. I've been a Fulham supporter for years but switched over to Hull for Jozy, been following him for a long time as he's developed. Now that they don't give him the time of day I figured I'd just head on back to being a Fulham supporter but wanted to hear other thoughts on clubs that have a tendency to bring on yanks. That's all. I don't need to be a die-hard Prem fan of anyone, it's not that big of deal to me, I'm a Yank and my heart belongs to my club, Galaxy. However, I wouldn't mind rooting for a new Brit team. I just wanted to hear other thoughts on Americans abroad in Prem clubs. Didn't mean to get folks so pissy. But thanks :)

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
OKAY LAST ONE

Even though this post is ancient in thread terms I just felt it necessary to point out you are talking bollocks.
Utd are victims of their own success and I expect a bit of anti Utd propaganda (The anti Man Utd bandwagon) but it is time to get a few facts straight so that our American friends can be better informed.

Just how long do you think Man Utd have been a club?
Do you think there was always such a thing as a "big four" and Premier league and that Utd were created specifically for it by Billionaire investors or could it possibly be they are a club steeped in tradition and formed by railway workers back in the 19th Century that rose like a phoenix from the Munich ashes to become the most famous club of any sport in the World and therefore one of the richest and most successful?
We have had to put up with the haters that say we are only famous because of the tragedy of Munich but that sentiment is not only callous it does not consider that the reason there was so much empathy for the club at that time was that Utd had a fantastic up and coming team that was full of youngsters playing exciting attacking football - hence the term Busby Babes and the tradition of playing attractive attacking football.

Man Utd will never have loyalty of fans to the team and the area and won't be there for the ups and downs?

When we were poo poo and got relegated we were still getting better attendances than nearly every top flight club.
I suppose you believe the myth that no Man Utd fans actually come from Manchester as well?
Man Utd have more season ticket holders with a Manchester post code than Manchester City - fact.

No Legends at Man Utd on a par with Stanley Mathews - are you for real?

Sir Matt Busby, Duncan Edward, Sir Bobby charlton, George Best, Denis Law, Eric Cantona, Sir Alex Ferguson. Those off the top of my head.

As for your claim of being the original English hooligans, well that just sums things up.
I'm finished.

Now the reason I was reading this thread.

I admit that my first knowledge of MLS was because of Beckham as I thought soccer had finally withered and died in the US as a pro sport long ago. Well just like Yanks following the Prem my knowledge has to start somewhere.
I have been following MLS as an interested observer for a couple of Years now ... do you see where this is going?

So as an outsider which MLS club should I support and why?

I think the Seattle success story is great and kudos to their "fans" but I can't support a team that plays on a plastic pitch that plays like crazy(Goofy) golf. Yes I have watched the games and yes it really is that bad - if you don't think so then either you haven't seen or you don't appreciate quality soccer, sorry. (reference specifically to pitch not team)

LA Galaxy is just too American (It's ok if you don't understand what the hell I mean, I'm not sure I do)

New York Red bulls? Ahahahaha
Sorry.:eek:
Ahahahhahahhahahahahhah:D
:eek:

As you may have gathered I had half an hour to kill and hope you did too if you got through this post.
So again which MLS team and why?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
Holy poo poo. Delete the Internet.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

You should stop posting these, they make the rest of us terrible American plastics feel better about our lovely posts in comparison

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Stroop There It Is posted:

You should stop posting these, they make the rest of us terrible American plastics feel better about our lovely posts in comparison

No my posts are still pretty loving awful.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Blue Star Error posted:

He forgot to mention Legia

Late to this but lol, drat

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

chuggo is BACK posted:

So it looks like the club I started rooting for this year (Hull) is headed to relegation, which means I'll be looking to support a new EPL team next season. The reason I chose Hull was for Jozy and their support of American players, but we see how they treated him in the end with no time on the pitch. Anyway, I was thinking of Fulham since they support American players as well. But does anyone know how long Dempsey has a contract for with them? Will he be there next season? What other clubs secured American players I could take a look at?

I should have been more clear. I've been a Fulham supporter for years but switched over to Hull for Jozy, been following him for a long time as he's developed. Now that they don't give him the time of day I figured I'd just head on back to being a Fulham supporter but wanted to hear other thoughts on clubs that have a tendency to bring on yanks. That's all. I don't need to be a die-hard Prem fan of anyone, it's not that big of deal to me, I'm a Yank and my heart belongs to my club, Galaxy. However, I wouldn't mind rooting for a new Brit team. I just wanted to hear other thoughts on Americans abroad in Prem clubs. Didn't mean to get folks so pissy. But thanks :)

gently caress

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
sorry

He's already gone overseas multiple times. I don't know why you think it's so bad that he's putting his country's soccer development over his own personal competitiveness. If he left only to be a mediocre player overseas then I would say of him what I say of many of our "stars" that are all over Europe making minimal impact to the soccer world - they're selfish to talk about how they need to "prove" themselves against "the best in the world" when they're actually drawn by the bigger money by leaving.

Kudos to you Landon. I know not everyone in this country appreciates what you're doing for American soccer, but those of us with a clue realize that you're playing a major part in our sport's growth in this nation. Thank you for putting country before self.

And Giuseppi Rossi knows where he can stick it. I don't care where you're family is from, everyone in the US has family from somewhere - most places with stronger soccer tradition than us - but once you're here, you're here. This isn't club soccer - there's no picking and choosing when you're an American and when you're not. So yea, with people like this all around, I fully appreciate Landon's selflessness.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
That last paragraph is 100% correct

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

wrong thread lol

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

allahu akbar

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Like that was obviously made by a barcelona fan but isn't being a pr wing for the people that fund isis slightly worse than abu dhabi?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
obviously missing yohan kebab

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

ephex posted:

allahu akbar

Karim Benzema

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Everton is a solid choice. Their starting goalie Howard is American. Donovan played their during the MLS offseason. And getting to a match is relatively easy. as they are a London team.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

chuggo is BACK posted:

Everton is a solid choice. Their starting goalie Howard is American. Donovan played their during the MLS offseason. And getting to a match is relatively easy. as they are a London team.
yes

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

chuggo is BACK posted:

Their. They're.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

ephex posted:

Their. They're.

Oh boy you are going to have a bad time if you don't go for Sunderland or Aston Villa.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

chuggo is BACK posted:

I thought you picked Liverpool for a similar reason...

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
NASL wants to compete with MLS. The US has a history of this & this is why I pray for the NASL to fail. Also I believe a farm system pyramid, is the best route for US soccer,  not a copy of the clone of the European model. Your definition of a "robust soccer pyramid", has destroyed eastern European ootball.  And that same "robust soccer pyramid", is now on its way in destroying western European football. I'm English & I find MLS more entertaining, then watching the same teams win their domestic title every year.  Clubs like Aston Villa, a club with history, now have no chance of winning the EPL title. You call MLS system boring, I call MLS system the holy grail, of what I hope all football leagues look like in 30 years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

http://www.sonsofben.com/blog/2015/3/open-letter-to-don-garber-mark-abbott-and-todd-durbin

Open letter to Don Garber (Commissioner of MLS), Mark Abbott (President of MLS) and Todd Durbin (Sr. VP of Player Personnel)

Congratulations on the opening of Major League Soccer's twentieth season. While our club is only in its sixth season, we are thrilled to be a part of the league's history.

You've spoken publicly about your vision for MLS, and how you see the league taking its rightful place as one of the world's best. We are well on our way to that goal. MLS is robust with homegrown players, international superstars, and top-level coaches.

Here in Philadelphia we are truly blessed to have our boys in blue. Jim Curtin has invigorated both the fans and players with our run in last year's U.S. Open Cup tournament.

One thing holding MLS back from taking its place with the top leagues is the quality of officiating.

Major League Soccer is not a flimsy, fly-by-night operation. It is a professionally run organization with multi-million dollar player and sponsor contracts. The quality of play on the pitch has increased exponentially in the last decade. Why has the quality of officiating not kept pace?

We’d like to highlight the week one matchup against Colorado, and the week two matchup at Real Salt Lake. In week one, two potential penalty kick calls were missed, first in the 32nd minute as Rapids player Michael Harrington challenged Union player Fernando Aristeguieta, and in the 49th minute as Dillon Serna handled the ball in the penalty area. Additionally, Rapids player James Riley was allowed to stay in the game despite a dangerous play on the Union’s Andrew Wenger. Following this game, without any transparency, referee Silviu Petrescu was not assigned a game during week two. This move was done without any confirmation of an actual term of suspension.

In week two, Philadelphia's Maurice Edu was given a call vs RSL's Luke Mulholland, who in a post-game interview admitted the call was unwarranted. This call resulted in a penalty kick for RSL, ultimately tying the game. After closely studying the video, there is little contact between these two players. The ensuing kick was good for a goal and turned three points on the road into a lousy point for each side. Here's what Mulholland told reporters after the game:

“Was it a penalty?” mused Mulholland. “In my book, no. The defender caught me with a straight leg on my shin, knocked me off balance and I just tried to regain the ball again. Thought we won a corner or a throw-in or whatever, but the referee gave us a penalty. So, I’ll take that.”

Commissioner, it is plain to see that in order for MLS to take its rightful place with the other professional leagues, the officiating must be world-class as well. Anything less than that is embarrassing and reinforces the stereotypes that people like Jurgen Klinsmann continue to perpetuate.

What are our expectations? We expect MLS to acknowledge, for the second straight week, that the officiating has cost our club, the Philadelphia Union, two points. Our owners, coaches, players and fans deserve an apology. At this juncture, anything less than that is unacceptable. We look forward to your immediate response.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Seltzer posted:

So as an Atlectico Madrid fan, would today's match against Leverkusen be worth watching at all? Especially considering I want to see whether Arsenal gets thrashed again.

No home grown