Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

david puddy posted:

Steven Wilson never disappoints with his production (or his music), that's for sure. You should get the bluray release as well if you have a surround setup, it's amazing. The end of The Watchmaker is one of the best parts of the album in surround sound.

Yeah I've heard very good things about that. I have everything I need for a surround setup, I just don't have it all put together for some reason. I should look into that. Never heard an album in surround before.

edit: vvv And I thought I was insane for spending $125 on a record...

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
Hey nerds, one of your bleep bloop bands has their secret decoder ring RSD LPs up on the eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boards-of-Canada-RSD-Promo-Record-XXXXXX-/281100905866

Go kick rocks, Jack White.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I hope The Mars Volta gets reissues. I really want their first three albums on vinyl as well as their first EP. Tremulant is great and so little people have heard it.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

Hey nerds, one of your bleep bloop bands has their secret decoder ring RSD LPs up on the eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boards-of-Canada-RSD-Promo-Record-XXXXXX-/281100905866

lmao that's the same one that was on discogs for $5k. I guess he took it down once he realized he could get more on eBay. gently caress record collectors so much.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Jeez, I don't even understand...what...

Anyway if anyone has heard of/likes I Fight Dragons, they have a kickstarter up (which is already past its goal) for a new album on vinyl http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1899688657/project-atma-i-fight-dragons-creates-an-epic-new-a

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Speaking of selling records... Should I put something up on Discogs or eBay? I have a copy of ISIS LIVE V on white vinyl that's #43 of 250 and I just don't care for the music so I'm looking to sell it. I've seen it sold for $100+ before, and it makes sense since it is a very limited item.

Should I put it on eBay for like a minimum of $60 or just slap it on Discogs (like it already is) and give a flat price?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Speaking of selling records... Should I put something up on Discogs or eBay? I have a copy of ISIS LIVE V on white vinyl that's #43 of 250 and I just don't care for the music so I'm looking to sell it. I've seen it sold for $100+ before, and it makes sense since it is a very limited item.

Should I put it on eBay for like a minimum of $60 or just slap it on Discogs (like it already is) and give a flat price?

If you're looking for maximum amount of profit you should put it on eBay with the minimum amount you'd want for it and hope two people get in a bidding war near the end.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Is there only one copy of that BOC thing or something? I can't imagine being able to justify spending upwards of $4000 on a single... Financially or mentally.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

There are six, they're unique, and they're not even music.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Temporary Residence is putting out a 14 LP Envy boxset. I already have like 10 LPs worth of Envy...but god drat is that thing tempting. Probably going to have to pass since I've spent waaaaay over my vinyl budget this month.

http://shop.temporaryresidence.com/trr200

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Is there only one copy of that BOC thing or something? I can't imagine being able to justify spending upwards of $4000 on a single... Financially or mentally.

It's worse than that. It's like only 20 seconds of music, so you're not even getting a full song. I don't hate the seller. I just wonder what the people who have 5,000 to drop on a 20 second record could possibly spend that money on. That money could go for a lost more useful purposes.

Plus, it's not like in 20 years, you're going to look at that and say "Thank god I have this!"

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
But don't you get it? You wont have a complete BOC discography if you don't own this!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
They should have done what the Duretti Column did: release it with a sandpaper jacket. I think if I ever do something ultra-limited and tacky like that (because it really was just an ad after all), I'm gonna put it in a sleeve that will actively eat away at the record so you can't sell it.

Sadly, it would end up a record collector's holy grail.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

JehovahsWetness posted:

I hate being an adult. Looking at the bid price, the first thing I thought of was how much gas that would buy me. I mean, if I were rich, I could see myself dropping a few grand on a very rare album, but not some new RSD release, more like an original or strange pressing from an old band I like. I just find pressings more interesting when they aren't artificially rare.

Also, I have to start using "bleep bloop band."

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
My first thought was I wish I had found one of those because $5,000 would buy a lot of other records. Also, gas and rent which would allow me to buy even more records because I'm not worried about rent and gas.

Cemetry Gator posted:

They should have done what the Duretti Column did: release it with a sandpaper jacket. I think if I ever do something ultra-limited and tacky like that (because it really was just an ad after all), I'm gonna put it in a sleeve that will actively eat away at the record so you can't sell it.

Sadly, it would end up a record collector's holy grail.

I'd never heard of Duretti Column before but that sandpaper jacket thing is hilarious. While scrolling through their wiki the first thing I saw was one of the members was killed by an axe murder? What the gently caress?

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
My Blade Runner showed up today, so keep an eye out.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Dissapointed Owl posted:

e: double post

And sometimes you wait, and wait, and wait, and refrain from buying overpriced copies of an album, and you wait...

And sometimes you get rewarded because The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This World just got reissued.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL998ajnjN4

Get on that poo poo!

And it's already out of stock. I remember trying to get ahold of this album for a while when it came out with no luck. It would appear that's still the case. Hmph.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I only just started listening to it yesterday and now I kind of wish I got it...

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
The Caretaker is incredible. I ended up ordering Patience (After Sebald) at Boomkat. Looks like Norman Records appears to have all three for pre-order, and they are a good shop. Can't justify buying both, and shipping was slightly cheaper on Boomkat (to US), plus I'm a fan of Schubert. I checked their US distributor Forced Exposure, and looks like they only ever had CDs. Might crop up elsewhere, but that might be limited to CD copies.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Yeah I've heard very good things about that. I have everything I need for a surround setup, I just don't have it all put together for some reason. I should look into that. Never heard an album in surround before.

Let me know if you do get it set up, I have a spare bluray copy that I'd send you for just the postage price (which is apparently $13).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Every time someone mentions "BOC" it takes a second before I realize no one is talking about Blue Oyster Cult.

I'm so uncool.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Floodixor posted:

And it's already out of stock.

I missed it entirely; was that one of those one-day, insta-sellouts? If so, I'll bet (or hope, at least) a sizable proportion of buyers are speculators planning to flip 'em on eBay. If this is the case, I hope the market gets duly flooded, because I wouldn't mind having those myself.

Although if it took many days/weeks to sell out, the above comment is probably irrelevant.

e: And if the prices don't drop, I'll just wait. If the demand is there, represses are (very often) inevitable. Some labels just seem to prefer letting them trickle out little bits at a time.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 1, 2013

perfectecho
Jun 4, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Every time someone mentions "BOC" it takes a second before I realize no one is talking about Blue Oyster Cult.

I'm so uncool.

Being a crazy Mike Watt fan (and both his and my own love of 70s rock) I feel your pain.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

CPL593H posted:

I'm so uncool.

I do the same thing. Makes me feel like a 50 year old.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

izationalizer posted:

I missed it entirely; was that one of those one-day, insta-sellouts? If so, I'll bet (or hope, at least) a sizable proportion of buyers are speculators planning to flip 'em on eBay. If this is the case, I hope the market gets duly flooded, because I wouldn't mind having those myself.

Although if it took many days/weeks to sell out, the above comment is probably irrelevant.

e: And if the prices don't drop, I'll just wait. If the demand is there, represses are (very often) inevitable. Some labels just seem to prefer letting them trickle out little bits at a time.

i don't really think the caretaker is popular enough to be the target of flippers

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

WASDF posted:

i don't really think the caretaker is popular enough to be the target of flippers

You might be right, and I wouldn't expect dozens and dozens of them, but people will flip anything if they think the $$$ is there (there's already one dark green copy on eBay for $79.55). Obscurity-flipping is endemic in the underground garage/weird punk collector "scene." As an example (out of many) off the top of my head, take the Nobunny 7" released on Hozac Records, limited to 200 copies. Nobunny doesn't even have any Pitchfork reviews, but he's very popular within that tiny scene. The 7" sold out in an hour, and just days later, there were copies on eBay selling for jacked-the-gently caress-up prices. There are dozens of other examples in that scene alone, and I'm quite sure similar things happen in the obscure metal collector scene, etc. Many labels (like Hozac with their gold editions) limit orders to one per customer, specifically to deny the flippers. If I were Brainwashed, that's what I would've done (not sure if they did it, though). Although, of course, Caretaker may be an exception for some reason or another.

e: And I'll confess to having had participated in such flipping in the past, even going so far as to get my brother to order me a second copy, so I can keep one and flip the other. (I admit that this isn't the most ethical thing to do, and I haven't done it in a long-ish time, but hey, if you're a semi-impoverished grad student, you do what you can!)

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 1, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I am not sure version this is, but it's Relationship of Command.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/05/01/relationship-of-command-now-on-sale/

edit:

alg fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 1, 2013

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

insta-purchased

edit: the cat, I mean

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Received my Drive LP from Mondo today - lucked out and got the pink version that they say was randomly inserted into peoples packages. Can't wait to get home and blast this!

(( gaudiness courtesy of diptic :3: ))

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

alg posted:

I am not sure version this is, but it's Relationship of Command.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2013/05/01/relationship-of-command-now-on-sale/

Dammit, its already sold out

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The artwork for that Drive re-issue is terrible... Mondo is so stagnant when it comes to graphics

lazerwolf posted:

Dammit, its already sold out

Maybe it was an RSD version?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

WASDF posted:

The artwork for that Drive re-issue is terrible... Mondo is so stagnant when it comes to graphics
The artwork for the Oblivion soundtrack looked really nice, but yeah Mondo poo poo just looks so goddamn samey. They really ought to branch out with some more artists instead of sticking with the same ones over and over again.

Really glad I decided to grab Relationship of Command before it sold out. I almost never get to things like that in time. :D

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Speaking of Mondo and music art... For anyone who cares about concert posters, or graphics and music, you should check out Just Like Being There on Netflix.

It's a pretty good documentary about gig-posters, and later on movie posters with Mondo. I figured out the son of a bitch who is to blame for the Mondo Drive OST re-release cover art through this.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

The artwork for the Oblivion soundtrack looked really nice, but yeah Mondo poo poo just looks so goddamn samey. They really ought to branch out with some more artists instead of sticking with the same ones over and over again.

Really glad I decided to grab Relationship of Command before it sold out. I almost never get to things like that in time. :D

I had it in my cart and was looking at what else they had. Went to checkout and it said it was removed because it was sold out :(

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I haven't listened to it but I've heard it's just okay. Have you heard it yet?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

lazerwolf posted:

I had it in my cart and was looking at what else they had. Went to checkout and it said it was removed because it was sold out :(

The internet cart system is such bullshit. If you're going to make a real life analogy at least have it make sense. When it's in my cart, it's in my loving cart. No one is going to walk by and steal it out of there.

:argh:

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

WASDF posted:

I haven't listened to it but I've heard it's just okay. Have you heard it yet?

Relationship of Command, or the Oblivion OST?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The Oblivion OST.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I haven't heard it either, but I'm probably going to see the movie this week sometime. It'll be interesting to check out. I've heard it compared to Daft Punk's Tron score, in that it isn't an M83 album, it's a score featuring M83.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The Touche Amore and Title Fight split from RSD is generally available: http://deathwishinc.com/estore/product/SEALEGS003v.html