Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And the ABC just put this out, which goes over the legislation in more detail:

What's in the new religious discrimination bill and will it become law?

quote:

"When … a nurse says to a patient with HIV that their HIV is a punishment by God, for example … which arguably constitutes discrimination today and which could constitute a statement of belief, would be protected under the law under this bill," Anna Brown from Equality Australia said.

The truly heinous poo poo's been removed from the bill, such as allowing medical personal to refuse to treat someone for religious reasons, leaving just the tepidly heinous poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Can I finally fire some Catholics already?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I really hate the federal government on a level where I feel a little nauseous about it if I let my mind wander.

Global pandemic and they close the borders, then bungle vaccine procurement and leave everything else to the states.

Climate change, death is certain and even the other dumb wealthy nations are making promises, but ours do nothing.

Massive revelations about sexual abuse and assault in Parliament and they do nothing.

But before they go on holiday for the year they need to pass religious freedom laws.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

Climate change, death is certain and even the other dumb wealthy nations are making promises, but ours do nothing.

That’s not true. We’re making it worse:
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...re_iOSApp_Other

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

"Can-do Capitalism" will be our epitaph.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Looks at this poo poo and tell me it doesn't make you mad:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/victoria-forests-agency-accused-of-spying-on-campaigner/100613342

quote:

Sarah Rees had no idea she was being followed.

On a morning like any other in 2011, she walked out of her home in Healesville, in regional Victoria, and started her car.

She drove to an office where she ran a small conservation group, did a bit of paperwork and then drove to Melbourne for the day.

Alan Davey says he was never far behind her.

For about four days, the professional private investigator says he followed her every move, at the request of a state government agency.

"They told me they wanted me to get as much dirt as I possibly could on the woman," Mr Davey says.

"I was of the understanding Sarah Rees was a person of great interest that VicForests was trying to shut up."

VicForests is a Victorian government agency tasked with supplying timber from state forests to sawmills and pulp mills around the state. It's run as a for-profit company, owned by the government.

However, the ABC can reveal VicForests hired a private investigator to conduct surveillance on conservationists and, more recently, conducted what some have called "digital surveillance" on people the agency argues are trying to "discredit" it.

They do that poo poo while at the same time probably illegally logging Vic's Water Catchments (while the regulator either ignores the issue or flails its limp noodle arms around like the useless gently caress that it is): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-24/hi-res-elevation-data-pinpoints-outlaw-logging-in-forests/100626640

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Can I finally fire some Catholics already?

For truth. I honestly do think that someone with an unshakable belief that the bible is literally true is mentally unsound. I should be able to discriminate against hiring them but somehow I don't think the government agrees with me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Periphery posted:

Looks at this poo poo and tell me it doesn't make you mad:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/victoria-forests-agency-accused-of-spying-on-campaigner/100613342

They do that poo poo while at the same time probably illegally logging Vic's Water Catchments (while the regulator either ignores the issue or flails its limp noodle arms around like the useless gently caress that it is): https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-24/hi-res-elevation-data-pinpoints-outlaw-logging-in-forests/100626640

It’s okay they’re going to stop logging illegally

(They’re going to keep doing what they’re doing , but the government is changing the law to make it not illegal)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Our potable water supply is a small price to pay to keep a few dumbfuck timber councils and their hick residents happy

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

Our potable water supply is a small price to pay to keep a few dumbfuck timber councils and their hick residents happy

Put that desal plant to work buddy

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
religious discrimination bill is a big lmao

legislating the right to discriminate is some good poo poo

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.
What will happen with Queensland's border and new vaccination rules in December?

quote:

Changes to Queensland's border restrictions and vaccination mandates are expected in December.

There are two key changes to look out for: The border reopening and the vaccination mandate for businesses and venues.

People will be able to enter Queensland when 80 per cent of the Queensland population aged over 16 have had two doses of vaccine — this is expected between December 6 and 12.

The new rules for businesses will come into effect on December 17, regardless of how early we hit the 80 per cent target.

Here's how some of the changes will look.

What happens when 80 per cent of eligible Queenslanders are fully vaccinated?

When Queensland hits the 80 per cent target, domestic travellers will be allowed to enter Queensland from hotpots, but there are restrictions in place.

To enter from a hotspot, a person must be fully vaccinated and have a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival.

People entering from areas that are not hotspots have no restrictions.

Where has Queensland declared COVID-19 hotspots?

Hotspots include the Australian Capital Territory, all of New South Wales, Katherine and Robinson River in the Northern Territory and all of Victoria.

What will change in Queensland on December 17?

A vaccination mandate will be in place for all staff and guests at a range of businesses and venues from December 17.

This also means there will be no capacity restrictions where only fully vaccinated people attend.

Restricted venues for unvaccinated people include aged care, hospitals, prisons, disability services — however, unvaccinated people can visit for medical treatment, end of life, childbirth or emergency situations.

People must also be vaccinated for hospitality venues, indoor entertainment venues, outdoor entertainment activities (including stadiums and theme parks), museums or galleries.

If a venue is privately hired and unvaccinated people are in attendance, a maximum of 20 people are allowed per one-per-four-square-metres.

Unvaccinated people can still access essential services and activities — including grocery stores, pharmacies, post offices, newsagents and clothing stores.

Will there be a border bubble?

Queensland Health is still working through the specific requirements for people in the border zone for the 80 per cent vaccination milestone.

There will be a border zone in place to ensure all border zone residents, regardless of vaccination status, can continue to enter Queensland for essential purposes once the border opens in December.

A spokesperson says there may also be less testing requirements for fully vaccinated people entering Queensland from the border zone for non-essential reasons.

Essential purposes include purchasing food or essential goods that cannot be obtained in NSW, access to medical care, attending court or to comply with a court order, donating blood, work or volunteering that can't be done at home, schooling, providing assistance to a family member or vulnerable person, shared parenting arrangements, to get help in an emergency.

What happens when Queensland hits the 90 per cent target?

There will be no restrictions to enter Queensland when 90 per cent of the eligible Queensland population is fully vaccinated.

Given how Queensland has avoided the worst of COVID, I'm not convinced that opening up once a vaccination threshold has been met will do anything but depress vaccination efforts. "Get vaccinated to open you and your loved ones up to infection, quarantine and harm."

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

George Christensen posted:

The totalitarian regimes responsible for the most heinous atrocities in the 20th century – think Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot – didn’t get there overnight. They used fear to control. They excluded the dirty people, softly at first. They justified the exclusion.

They moved to harder exclusions and eventually eliminated people either socially or physically.

In 21st century Australia state premiers are racing down that familiar path, trying to out-tyrant each other, drunk on power, setting up their own biosecurity police states complete with medical apartheid.

:lol:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
South Australia has been community transmission free for months now, and the inevitable has just happened.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/sa-records-three-new-cases-of-covid-19/100651000

3 loving flights.

But at least we're open at Christmas! Nanna will put on a super spread.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Breetai posted:

Open? Or locked down? Only time will tell!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

quote:

The totalitarian regimes responsible for the most heinous atrocities in the 20th century – think Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Pol Pot – didn’t get there overnight. They used fear to control. They excluded the dirty people, softly at first. They justified the exclusion.

Congratulations to George Christensen on realising that history's worst dictatorships were successor states to existing autocratic regimes and that nobody flicks a switch from free liberal democracy to oppressive totalitarian regime overnight.

(I guess Weimar Germany was a democracy? Was it a democracy before WWI?)

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Breetai posted:

South Australia has been community transmission free for months now, and the inevitable has just happened.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-25/sa-records-three-new-cases-of-covid-19/100651000

3 loving flights.

I predict lots of people in SA in isolation over Christmas because people really really wanted borders open, despite many LGA's not even being above 20% fully vaxxed. If this spreads through the Barossa - Complete with a large elderly population... RIP. I'm just happy I got my booster.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Breetai posted:

3 loving flights.

It was so loving stupid to open borders before we were at 80%. Anyone listed as a close contact has to quarantine for 7 days, even if vaccinated.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Breetai posted:

3 loving flights.

If people are vaccinated they will be fine.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

JBP posted:

If people are vaccinated they will be fine.

Seems unfortunate that some people aren't tbh

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

when covid's over, let's do a goon meet that coincides with a nazi rally

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Seems unfortunate that some people aren't tbh

SA is basically 80% and maybe this will make the rest get a move on too.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

an egg posted:

I think we have a few Adelaide Auspol Goons, so I'm 100% OK with that idea.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

an egg posted:

don’t forget to bring your secret santa presents

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

birdstrike posted:

don’t forget to bring your secret santa presents
lol

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Shares in Australian-listed buy-now-pay-later companies have plunged by an average of about 80% compared to peak prices within the past year, driven down by swelling losses and lower-than-expected consumer interest in the product. :waycool:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Cpt Soban posted:

I think we have a few Adelaide Auspol Goons, so I'm 100% OK with that idea.

ThereAreDozensOfUs jpg

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Shares in Australian-listed buy-now-pay-later companies have plunged by an average of about 80% compared to peak prices within the past year, driven down by swelling losses and lower-than-expected consumer interest in the product. :waycool:

This seems like it might relate strongly to APT having absolute primacy in the market. Their price is pretty flat over the last year as is Z1P. They all went to an insane high for about ten minutes, so judging anything against that is pretty useless.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

IshmaelZarkov posted:

ThereAreDozensOfUs jpg

I vote for a Fed Election night gathering. Whenever Scovid gets off his rear end and picks a date.

slorb
May 14, 2002

quote:

Health Minister Greg Hunt says at this stage fully vaccinated Australians are still allowed to fly home [from South Africa] without having to quarantine.

I loving hate this government so much.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Cpt Soban posted:

I vote for a Fed Election night gathering. Whenever Scovid gets off his rear end and picks a date.

I'm in.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

slorb posted:

I loving hate this government so much.

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has been awarded $35,000 in a defamation action against refugee advocate Shane Bazzi over a tweet that accused him of being "a rape apologist".

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has raised the idea of a taxpayer-funded legal fighting fund for MPs to pursue defamation claims, claiming it should be considered as a “workplace entitlement”.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has been awarded $35,000 in a defamation action against refugee advocate Shane Bazzi over a tweet that accused him of being "a rape apologist".

Defence Minister Peter Dutton has raised the idea of a taxpayer-funded legal fighting fund for MPs to pursue defamation claims, claiming it should be considered as a “workplace entitlement”.

Also we have to stop cancel culture lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

how about i entitle my foot in ur rear end

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I’m the dumbfuck judge that thinks Peter duttons character can be impugned by a six word tweet beyond any of his actions have already done lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’m the dumbfuck judge that thinks Peter duttons character can be impugned by a six word tweet beyond any of his actions have already done lol

Dutton has never been called an apologist beforebefore. Only the weak apologise, can't have people thinking he's weak.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Pope is too good for this timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
looking forward to amongus libspill memes