Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Milk does indeed give a lot of people bad rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Cheese gum.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, on a global level lactose tolerance is the weird thing. Most people are lactose intolerant. White folks and India got the weird gene because our barbarous proto-indo-european forebears had to subsist on cow byproducts for a long time while they were busy conquering and colonizing other, weaker prehistoric people who ate "meat" and "vegetables"

there was a weird nazi dogwhistle I saw about being about to digest milk as an adult, but given that any culture (heh) that drinks/eats milk (Masai, Mongolians) has that enzyme... well, heck, it's almost as though white supremacists are idiots

apparently humans evolve the enzyme really fast (5000 years or something)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I used to feel a lot more seriously about lactose intolerance, and then I found out that it's not like a deadly poison like peanut allergies, it's just some intestinal distress and messy poops and farts.

I thought that food allergies were all serious medical conditions, but some are just fairly minor and people sometimes just assume without getting a doctor's diagnosis. That's how gluten became sort of a reverse fad food as a bunch of people just started to recommend cutting gluten as a sort of cure-all.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's how gluten became sort of a reverse fad food as a bunch of people just started to recommend cutting gluten as a sort of cure-all.

I know a number of people who've self-diagnosed gluten sensitivity, which is not an agreed-upon medical thing. generally, within a year, they'd just quietly start eating gluten and drinking beer again.

it drives my friend with a severe gluten allergy absolutely nuts

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TheAardvark posted:

That's bad rear end.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

people loving eat boxfish???

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SlothfulCobra posted:

I used to feel a lot more seriously about lactose intolerance, and then I found out that it's not like a deadly poison like peanut allergies, it's just some intestinal distress and messy poops and farts.

I thought that food allergies were all serious medical conditions, but some are just fairly minor and people sometimes just assume without getting a doctor's diagnosis. That's how gluten became sort of a reverse fad food as a bunch of people just started to recommend cutting gluten as a sort of cure-all.

Lactose intolerance not a huge deal, but if you were in a situation where you had to eat dairy regularly then the guys that are making GBS threads 20 times a day and constantly letting out loud stinky farts could have a disadvantage vs. the guys that don't. It doesn't even have to be that your loud stinky farts keep waking up the saber toothed tigers or whatever, the gross milk fart guy may just get laid less often than the fart-free guy.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

I think people have at least tried to eat everything. _EVERYTHING_

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Lactose intolerance is importantly distinct from an allergy because it's lack of an enzyme to break down lactose, not an immune response, that in severe cases like celiac disease can damage your intestines and render you unable to absorb nutrients. You can also be allergic to dairy, which can come with all the symptoms of any other major food allergy, and is a lot more severe, that's why it's a required listed allergen on food packaging.

Any mess of stuff you can't digest will cause butt problems, see that low-calorie chip oil that was wrecking guts, or sugar-free gummies.

I know they make pills that contain the enzyme, I don't know how well they work though, I guess not so well since I have cousins that will complain about the effects on their stomachs even after taking them.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Elviscat posted:

Lactose intolerance is importantly distinct from an allergy because it's lack of an enzyme to break down lactose, not an immune response, that in severe cases like celiac disease can damage your intestines and render you unable to absorb nutrients. You can also be allergic to dairy, which can come with all the symptoms of any other major food allergy, and is a lot more severe, that's why it's a required listed allergen on food packaging.

Any mess of stuff you can't digest will cause butt problems, see that low-calorie chip oil that was wrecking guts, or sugar-free gummies.

I know they make pills that contain the enzyme, I don't know how well they work though, I guess not so well since I have cousins that will complain about the effects on their stomachs even after taking them.

I'm mildly lactose intolerant. I won't drink a glass of milk (but I never really liked just drinking milk anyway) and usually won't drink a milkshake (although milkshakes are usually too much sugar for me anyway). I'll eat a little ice cream sometimes, but I'll take lactaid beforehand if I can. I usually take lactaid when I eat pizza, and it helps quite a bit. It's not 100% perfect, but it's a huge improvement.

I don't bother when I eat a sandwich with a slice of cheese on it or something like that, because it won't mess up my guts.

Sometimes it just comes down to "does it matter if I have gross farts for the next hour?" and sometimes the answer is no.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cheese is also better than milk for lactose intolerance because the fermentation / aging breaks down lactose.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

steinrokkan posted:

*Cheese is also better than milk for lactose intolerance because the fermentation / aging breaks down lactose.

*actual aged cheese, not fresh cheeses or American

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Butterfly Valley posted:

*actual aged cheese, not fresh cheeses or American

true. Parmesan has basically none, iirc

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The mutation that allows some of us to digest milk as adults is "lactase persistence" - I find it weird that it's still mostly known as "lactose intolerance" since that's actually the baseline.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the most milquetoast possible instance of white supremacy

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fermented milquetoast even

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

I think people have at least tried to eat everything. _EVERYTHING_

I wondered one night of people had tried to eat coelacanths, the answer is obviously yes. Apparently is very oily

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Are lactose free dairy products just not a thing in the us or something?

Here if you want milk but are lactose intolerant you just buy lactose free milk.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

organburner posted:

Are lactose free dairy products just not a thing in the us or something?

Here if you want milk but are lactose intolerant you just buy lactose free milk.

That sounds like the coward's way out!

Yes, it's available but it's not ubiquitous like basic dairy stuff

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

TontoCorazon posted:

I wondered one night of people had tried to eat coelacanths, the answer is obviously yes. Apparently is very oily

I have eaten every kind of wild animal you can imagine from the Gulf Coast regions of the US. I know what the weirdest animal or bug thing you can think of tastes like. Also most of the grasses, trees and fruits. Being a dipshit redneck gives you plenty of free time to be stupid as gently caress, bored, and hungry/ actually starving so you get creative. I don't want to be proud of it so I'm not but I'll talk about it all day. Food is food when you need it and sometimes you're hungry enough to wonder if nutria tastes good smoked over oak wood. It does.

And if you're wondering all the animals tasted like a worse version of something you already eat with the exception of squirrel. Those little things are delicious. I mean seriously go eat a squirrel someday.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fizzymercy posted:

I have eaten every kind of wild animal you can imagine from the Gulf Coast regions of the US. I know what the weirdest animal or bug thing you can think of tastes like. Also most of the grasses, trees and fruits. Being a dipshit redneck gives you plenty of free time to be stupid as gently caress, bored, and hungry/ actually starving so you get creative. I don't want to be proud of it so I'm not but I'll talk about it all day. Food is food when you need it and sometimes you're hungry enough to wonder if nutria tastes good smoked over oak wood. It does.

And if you're wondering all the animals tasted like a worse version of something you already eat with the exception of squirrel. Those little things are delicious. I mean seriously go eat a squirrel someday.

Grey Squirrels or Red Squirrels?

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Eastern Gray. They get hilariously fat on pecans and fermented citrus in the winter. They're basically tiny little foie gras rabbits full of bones.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Well, thanks, this stupid image was in my dream last night except the fish were full of macaroni and cheese instead of taco fixings.

I took them out of my fridge and threw them in the garbage.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Pastry of the Year posted:

Well, thanks, this stupid image was in my dream last night except the fish were full of macaroni and cheese instead of taco fixings.

I took them out of my fridge and threw them in the garbage.

'Are you both crazy?' the doctor cried shrilly, backing away in paling
confusion.
'Yes, he really is crazy, Doc,' Captain Capslock assured him. 'Every night he dreams
he's holding a fish mac n cheese taco in his hands.' The doctor stopped in his tracks
with a look of elegant amazement and distaste, and the ward grew still.
'He does what?' he demanded.
'He dreams he's holding a fish mac n cheese taco in his hand.'
'What kind of fish mac n cheese taco?' the doctor inquired sternly of Pastry of the Year.
'I don't know,' Pastry of the Year answered. 'I can't tell one kind of fish taco from
another.'
'In which hand do you hold them?'
'It varies,' answered Pastry of the Year.
'It varies with the fish,' Captain Capslock added helpfully.
The colonel turned and stared down at Captain Capslock suspiciously with a narrow
squint. 'Yes? And how come you seem to know so much about it?'
'I'm in the dream,' Captain Capslock answered without cracking a smile.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

fizzymercy posted:

Eastern Gray. They get hilariously fat on pecans and fermented citrus in the winter. They're basically tiny little foie gras rabbits full of bones.

we keep debating this when the squirrels get feisty and invasive, but we haven't (literally) pulled the trigger yet. I think squirrel is the typical game meat for Brunswick stew.

a hawk nested in my backyard a couple years ago, and one way or another, that kept the population down for a while.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont forget to use safe bullets, because poisoned food is not even afp anymore and you'll turn into a boomer if you consume too much lead (actually the specific problem is leaded primers)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

That's clearly taco shell fish :colbert:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

The Bloop posted:

That sounds like the coward's way out!

Yes, it's available but it's not ubiquitous like basic dairy stuff

Weird, gonna put that down to a cultural difference I guess.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

dont forget to use safe bullets, because poisoned food is not even afp anymore and you'll turn into a boomer if you consume too much lead (actually the specific problem is leaded primers)

This is wildly important. Where I'm from you have to spend a lot of time around the guys that did it wrong and have lead poisoning to learn how to do it right. They're really great hunters and they'll teach you all the right things. But all think they can talk to Jesus directly and think Trump cultists aren't political enough. It's a quick lesson in why you listen to the Elders about the practical and not the philosophical.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

oh, I'm in town. it'll have to be BBs or (unleaded) pellets

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

the most milquetoast possible instance of white supremacy

Please hold the milque.

I'm lactose intolerant.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Couldn't find an embeddable version of this vid, so pick or choose Facebook or instagram

https://www.facebook.com/1017313271664514/posts/3851976881531458/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ5h0vpL2vE/?igshid=1oosmef4oacic

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

i'm the tiny handful of leeks for the giant pot of ham grease

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Why wait until it is all mixed together and hot to chop the solid ingredients? Chop that poo poo up first. You're just making it harder on yourself.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why wait until it is all mixed together and hot to chop the solid ingredients? Chop that poo poo up first. You're just making it harder on yourself.

That would be delicious if they had fried off all the pork products first to render the fat and get it nice and crispy.

As is it's mostly boiled mush in grease.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elviscat posted:

That would be delicious if they had fried off all the pork products first to render the fat and get it nice and crispy.

As is it's mostly boiled mush in grease.

I agree, but I was allowing for possible cultural differences. Boiled mush in grease might be a regional delicacy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motherfuckers you are not allowed to complain about english cooking, nobody on this blighted island is going to loving boil a sausage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

OwlFancier posted:

Motherfuckers you are not allowed to complain about english cooking, nobody on this blighted island is going to loving boil a sausage.

Thats just cause you haven't got any left