Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

gschmidl posted:

"""""Carbonara"""""

Thought those were peanut butter cups on first glance. Not sure if that would be better or worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

KataraniSword posted:

I'm probably way too American and showing it right now, but what the gently caress is "bread sauce", are they talking like bread pudding, or less-dry stuffing, or like, miracle whip

It's a sort of lovely vegetarian gravy

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The Bloop posted:

I made shrimp carbonara again on Thursday and it was great :fyadride:

I'm sure it was delicious but why call it a shrimp carbonara at that point? it's just pasta with shrimp sauce.

KataraniSword posted:

I'm probably way too American and showing it right now, but what the gently caress is "bread sauce", are they talking like bread pudding, or less-dry stuffing, or like, miracle whip

bread sauce is bread sauce. it's a sauce made with breadcrumbs, shallots, milk, cream, cloves, bay leaves, thyme and nutmeg gently simmered for 20 minutes or so to let the breadcrumbs plump up and all the flavours infuse. it's a traditional and extremely delicious part of christmas dinner and complements everything else on the plate very well. it's my turkish girlfriend's favourite part of the dinner.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's a sort of lovely vegetarian gravy

lol no

edit: my personal christmas leftovers all get chucked into a pot with some water to make 'christmas soup', which is more like a thick stew and is excellent. roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, chestnuts, pancetta, sausage (if any pigs in blankets survived the previous day which is unlikely), bread sauce, stuffing, gravy, roast cauliflower with confit garlic cheese sauce, all chopped into bitesize pieces and simmered for a while then served in a bowl with grated cheese on top. the turkey goes into a turkey and mushroom pie.

Butterfly Valley has a new favorite as of 19:24 on Jan 9, 2021

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

fizzymercy posted:

Make sardine carbonara. Just treat the sardines like guanciale/bacon. It looks like a terrible mistake but it's heavenly if you like sardines.

I feel like a foodie snob would argue less over sardines in carbonara than shrimp but I don't know why.
Guanciale has lots of fat, sardines have some fat, but shrimp has almost no fat. That's where I would side with the 'dines over shrimp.

But don't fight, eat!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Butterfly Valley posted:

I'm sure it was delicious but why call it a shrimp carbonara at that point? it's just pasta with shrimp sauce.

I mean it's the bacon/egg/cheese that's the carbonara in my commoner lexicon

The shrimp aren't really part of what makes it what it is, they're just extra

"Shrimp sauce" could mean anything and most people I know would only think of that white poo poo you get at the teppanyaki/hibachi place

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Quit eating meat months ago because of deregulation (thanks trump you prick) and don't want to eat sick meat. So it's a struggle because I enjoy meat a bit...also been helping my stepson learn to bbq but I don't eat any of it...you guys don't know the struggle of smelling bbq and not eating it. LOL. lost a bunch of weight already though, so nice side effect.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

bread sauce is bread sauce. it's a sauce made with breadcrumbs, shallots, milk, cream, cloves, bay leaves, thyme and nutmeg gently simmered for 20 minutes or so to let the breadcrumbs plump up and all the flavours infuse. it's a traditional and extremely delicious part of christmas dinner and complements everything else on the plate very well. it's my turkish girlfriend's favourite part of the dinner.

So it's onions and poo poo boiled in milk. White gravy without the sausage meat.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

gleebster posted:

So it's onions and poo poo boiled in milk. White gravy without the sausage meat.

The 'and poo poo' is what makes a very flavourful and tasty complement to the turkey meat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Butterfly Valley posted:

The 'and poo poo' is what makes a very flavourful and tasty complement to the turkey meat

yeah, so mediocre white gravy

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not sure why you're being a dick about it, as far as I can tell white gravy is bechemel + pepper, this is a lot more nuanced than that

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

LifeSunDeath posted:

...you guys don't know the struggle of smelling bbq and not eating it.
Incorrect.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ur mediocre white gravy.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Butterfly Valley posted:

And here I thought I'd have to drag out some lame "onions are alliums" stuff.

Dude, Bread Sauce is a completely ordinary and tasty thing, shared between cultures with variations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Nostradingus posted:

Thought those were peanut butter cups on first glance. Not sure if that would be better or worse

That would be disgusting!

Those are obviously the traditional Rolos

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Accidentally ate this today

It was actually really good, better than most beef sticks I've had

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/1i4ftej.mp4
it's just so much loving cheese, ugh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

The burnt edge of the cheese looks terrible to me

All burnt things taste like burnt and that ain't tasty

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

The Bloop posted:

Can't do toast huh? Too spicy?

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

The Bloop posted:

All burnt things taste like burnt

Cage posted:

Can't do toast huh? Too... spicy??? Well, I remember there used to be this cool swamp... I used to chill in as... as a... as a kid. Did you know the, uh, the doctors, they can... they use the... the... internet? They can call you on, the internet, now. Because of the... the global disease... You don't have to, uh, you can't go into, the uh, the work... the place that they, the office... They use the internet. It's all smart now.

strokes: not even once

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

The Bloop posted:

My mom makes these things she calls "cheese cookies" after making grilled cheese. They're just a slice of lovely american cheese broken into quarters then dropped on the still hot pan. You flip them when the cheese is burnt enough to release from the pan, as judged by the smell of burning.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

What bothers me most is the amount of wax that ends up being involved. I don't care if it's food grade or whatever, wax is not my favorite taste.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
So you guys don't chuck handfuls of random cheeses onto silpats/nonstick pans to toast them to make cheese crisps? Because you need to do that. They're better when some of the cheese is just a bit too browned.

You can also make delicious cheese crackers by microwaving American cheese slices until they're burnt. I mean they are to die for. Missing out if you think it's gross.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

fizzymercy posted:

So you guys don't chuck handfuls of random cheeses onto silpats/nonstick pans to toast them to make cheese crisps? Because you need to do that. They're better when some of the cheese is just a bit too browned.

You can also make delicious cheese crackers by microwaving American cheese slices until they're burnt. I mean they are to die for. Missing out if you think it's gross.

:yeah:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

What bothers me most is the amount of wax that ends up being involved. I don't care if it's food grade or whatever, wax is not my favorite taste.

I assume it's just rind, not wax.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah there's uh no cheese where you're supposed to eat the wax (probably)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

lolling at the idea of "too much" cheese.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

LifeSunDeath posted:

almost definitely japan, i've seen this too many times and people get all excited at the sight of the cheese pouring (i think that experience is what theyre paying for) then proceed to eat half of it before realising how much cheese is involved

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

LifeSunDeath posted:

These guys really don't know how to raclette

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cage posted:

Can't do toast huh? Too spicy?

Toast is good.

burnt toast is bad.

Surely you're aware of the difference

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sakurazuka posted:

Smash mouth eat the cheesewax

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Zanael posted:

These guys really don't know how to raclette

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raclette

I've only ever had the French play-at-home version, which is done kind of like Korean BBQ or fondue in that you cook/reheat your meat and veg and melt the cheese in little pans at the table.

also it doesn't involve such obscene quantities of cheese :getin:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cheese fondue, on the other hand...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yellow Yoshi posted:

people get all excited at the sight of the cheese pouring (i think that experience is what theyre paying for)
From the guy's nametag (?) you're right about Japan, but that describes every viral video from a NYC or LA burger place on the internet in the last 5-ish years.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

My Lovely Horse posted:

From the guy's nametag (?) you're right about Japan, but that describes every viral video from a NYC or LA burger place on the internet in the last 5-ish years.

i couldn't see enough of the nametag but the dish is something i've seen a billion times here

we thought we were being so smart when we installed adblockers, all we did was start a war with multibillion dollar companies who worked out meme warfare and now we have cheese videos

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Yellow Yoshi posted:

i couldn't see enough of the nametag but the dish is something i've seen a billion times here

we thought we were being so smart when we installed adblockers, all we did was start a war with multibillion dollar companies who worked out meme warfare and now we have cheese videos

I know it's gauche to say in tyool 2021, but South Park nailed this: https://southpark.cc.com/video-clips/90ijkb/south-park-it-s-not-a-news-story

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yellow Yoshi posted:

almost definitely japan, i've seen this too many times and people get all excited at the sight of the cheese pouring (i think that experience is what theyre paying for) then proceed to eat half of it before realising how much cheese is involved
Yep: there's Japanese on the nametag. I'd probably share this with someone, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it all alone (and still feel good about myself).

We get Trader Joe's cheese fondue in a microwavable cup every year for NYE, with Granny Smith apples and baguette slices for dipping. Only a little fancy. This year they only had the version that came in a box, and the texture wasn't as good. :(

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Yep: there's Japanese on the nametag. I'd probably share this with someone, but I couldn't bring myself to eat it all alone (and still feel good about myself).

Japanese, known for almost never eating cheese, getting a 4 pound slurry of the stuff poured onto their meal...yeah they're taking pics and not bothering to eat it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was wondering that, aren't a lot of people in Japan lactose intolerant?

But yeah I will absolutely buy a wheel of camembert and bake it and then eat it with an entire loaf of bread and a squeezy bottle of honey.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering that, aren't a lot of people in Japan lactose intolerant?

But yeah I will absolutely buy a wheel of camembert and bake it and then eat it with an entire loaf of bread and a squeezy bottle of honey.

Yeah, on a global level lactose tolerance is the weird thing. Most people are lactose intolerant. White folks and India got the weird gene because our barbarous proto-indo-european forebears had to subsist on cow byproducts for a long time while they were busy conquering and colonizing other, weaker prehistoric people who ate "meat" and "vegetables"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, on a global level lactose tolerance is the weird thing. Most people are lactose intolerant. White folks and India got the weird gene because our barbarous proto-indo-european forebears had to subsist on cow byproducts for a long time while they were busy conquering and colonizing other, weaker prehistoric people who ate "meat" and "vegetables"

That's bad rear end.