Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Weird, i just learned the phrase rent seeking the other day. Have people been using it this whole time and I didn't notice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
It comes up a lot in China and Hong Kong especially where capitalism almost never appears without crony in front of it.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

DontAskKant posted:

Weird, i just learned the phrase rent seeking the other day. Have people been using it this whole time and I didn't notice?

I'm pretty sure most countries actively avoid teaching that phrase or using it in public, for reasons that should be obvious.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

I'm pretty sure most countries actively avoid teaching that phrase or using it in public, for reasons that should be obvious.

I'll bite. What are these reasons?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

blinkyzero posted:

I'll bite. What are these reasons?

Because rent seeking has been thoroughly conflated with capitalism to the point where it is almost the ideal.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Because rent seeking has been thoroughly conflated with capitalism to the point where it is almost the ideal.

Oh okay that was what I thought you meant, I wasn't sure if there were some arcane racist connotation or something silly like that I wasn't aware of.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

GuestBob posted:

Is the group a group of one?

Bloodnose posted:

As GuestBob implies, group tours are usually just a group of one that they arrange through a rent seeker in Shenzhen and then they cross the border and do whatever the gently caress they want. The only disadvantage to the group tour over the Individual Visit Scheme is that the group tour can't fly directly into HK and have to pay the rent seeker in Shenzhen first.

Ok, good! This actually explains quite a bit.

Next question: I know mainlanders have to enter HK via shenzhen to get their permits, but once they are in HK, can they fly straight out, say, to Shanghai without the Shenzhen stopover?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Stop me if I'm asking in the wrong thread but do any of you guys know anything about traditional Chinese music? I've found a couple CDs on Spotify (two erhu CDs by Chen Xionghua, a zheng CD by Hong Ting, "Four Seasons in China" by the "China Broadcast Folk Orchestra") and I've played through all them several times. I'd kind of like to know where to go for more, and also maybe where I could start to look to have some sort of deeper understanding/background than just enjoying it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Stop me if I'm asking in the wrong thread but do any of you guys know anything about traditional Chinese music? I've found a couple CDs on Spotify (two erhu CDs by Chen Xionghua, a zheng CD by Hong Ting, "Four Seasons in China" by the "China Broadcast Folk Orchestra") and I've played through all them several times. I'd kind of like to know where to go for more, and also maybe where I could start to look to have some sort of deeper understanding/background than just enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMiAi4Xx41I

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
That video's laying it on a little too thick in my opinion.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

That video's laying it on a little too thick in my opinion.

I can tell they are not really playing these. They are pretending. They are not moving their fingers across the neck, and for one of the guys, his hand was not in the correct position for the pitch being played. No one should be bowing any Erhu, or any Huqin like a Cello. Please bow correctly Completely crappy.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I don't get it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

So what goes on for the mysteriously named National Day? What kind of stuff is open/closed?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

So what goes on for the mysteriously named National Day? What kind of stuff is open/closed?

Who the gently caress cares. If you have time off, go drink or something.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

VideoTapir posted:

I guess drinking is open then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Everything is open on national day week. You can do whatever you want but taking a train is usually a bad idea.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Oh and a lot of small restaurants and street food sellers are away for the holiday (at least in the tier 1 cities), so that stuff is "closed."

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

VideoTapir posted:

lolllll

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTZC-j48JWg

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3CWLCoQu7c

?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

Most stuff is open I think, but if you want to travel, do it midweek and don't go anywhere that could be considered a "tourist destination". You will literally be trampled to death if you attempt to enter a train station near the beginning or the end of the week off. It's sorta like mini Chinese New Year, except people go on vacation instead of to their hometown.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

It will never be cleaned, ever.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

VideoTapir posted:

It will be wiped down with a lukewarm dishrag, once a day.
Edited your quote for accuracy.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Do you all get Cheung Yeung Festival off too?

That week, my schedule is watching four student presentations then taking a five-day weekend.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I figured travel was a bad idea but I have no money anyway so no big deal. I was going to go see museums and explore around the city a bit.

And poopsock Wasteland 2.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fart simpson posted:

Most stuff is open I think, but if you want to travel, do it midweek and don't go anywhere that could be considered a "tourist destination". You will literally be trampled to death if you attempt to enter a train station near the beginning or the end of the week off. It's sorta like mini Chinese New Year, except people go on vacation instead of to their hometown.

Does this go for HK too? I've had an unfortunate change of plans and may or may not be going there then.

E: No mainlanders holiday there? vvv

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 22, 2014

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
People here don't like "National Day".

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

Grand Fromage posted:

I figured travel was a bad idea but I have no money anyway so no big deal. I was going to go see museums and explore around the city a bit.

And poopsock Wasteland 2.
Find the sichuan food museum and post pics, please. Its in Pixian, I think.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The only place I saw here (HK) making a big deal of "National day" was the Bank of China building

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

I know a guy who got complaints from parents in Taiwan because of his accent:
:argh:: You, what have you been teaching my kid?
:v:: Well, we were doing animals last lesson, and -
:argh:: I know that! But what is this?!
:v:: It's a squirrel
:argh:: No, it's a SQUIRL - stop teaching my kid wrong!
:v:: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(As in, the parent didn't like him using the non-American pronunciation of squirrel - it's not like he's a geordie or a taff)

I'm from the Americana-est part of America and the way I say it has two distinct syllables.... That's bizarre.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Eifert Posting posted:

I'm from the Americana-est part of America and the way I say it has two distinct syllables.... That's bizarre.

I'll bet you don't say it like Jeremy Clarkson does.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

The only place I saw here (HK) making a big deal of "National day" was the Bank of China building

There's lots of banners all over town that are like "x district passionately celebrates the 65th anniversary of the people's republic of china!" but they're only in Chinese and you didn't notice because you're illiterate

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

There's lots of banners all over town that are like "x district passionately celebrates the 65th anniversary of the people's republic of china!" but they're only in Chinese and you didn't notice because you're illiterate

Hey I know like 7 individual characters!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I've just farted.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

我很喜歡打飛機

wo hen xi huan da fei ji

(I like to masturbate)

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

simplefish posted:

一二三四五六七!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

caberham posted:

我很喜歡打飛機

wo hen xi huan da fei ji

(I like to masturbate)

Don't you mean 我很歡喜打飛機
ngo han fun hei daa fei gei

I don't hit aeroplanes, I leave that up to Russia in Ukraine

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 24, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

blinkyzero posted:

一二三四五六七!

caberham posted:

我很喜歡打飛機

What are the rest of the words to this song?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I see the cheapest tickets from Tokyo to HK are on China Eastern Airlines or whatever; just how lovely is it?

Worth spending $30 more for China Air?

Also anything interesting happening Halloween weekend and Nov 1 and 2, which are apparently holidays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

What are the rest of the words to this song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwvWtZl2ICY