Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

How hosed are you re: refunds if you did the LTI gift thing? I'm guessing pretty hosed? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

then there was the lady who hosed some guy to pay for her epic mount in wow

An epic mount for an epic mount seems like a fair exchange

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daztek posted:

How hosed are you re: refunds if you did the LTI gift thing? I'm guessing pretty hosed? :v:

That poo poo is going to backfire on them so hard it'll be unreal.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AP posted:

What did you send them again and when were the ships/packages bought?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I have a feeling they don't actually read these somehow. :ssh:

quote:

Hi Amy,

As I mentioned in my request I am aware of CIG's 14 day refund policy, however in Australia statutory consumer rights have no time limit. If your policy prevents me from attaining a refund I am prepared to contact the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission and file a complaint.

WhiskeyWhiskers

:smug:

I'm totally prepared to lose $80 if I can gently caress CIG's refund policy over in Australia, they've already had to change it to (sort of) meet EU standards.

I bought it in November of 2013.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or will it? I don't know, it's actually pretty hard to predict how the mentally ill star cultist community reacts

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
aside from 'thanks ben'

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So far so good, the installer seems to be stuck installing directX and apparently something about it made my network stuff go completely wonky.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

HapiMerchant posted:

he's an aussie, so under his county's laws companies must provide a refund for digital goods. CiG was wise for once and did not go to bat against the aussies gov't.

Yeah, and there have been cases before of non-Australian companies offering digital goods for sale in Australia, refusing to give refunds, and the ACCC taking them to town. With a little bit of research CIG would realise that they don't have a legal leg to stand on. Australian consumer law is pretty good (comparatively speaking).

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"We aren't obligated to offer you a refund!"

-But it's Australian law, you actually have to.

"Well, we don't usually make exceptions. You're getting your money back only by our good graces."

Yeah, I hate it when you have to make exceptions such as following the law. It makes things so much more complicated than they would otherwise be. :argh:

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Friendly Tumour posted:

Or will it? I don't know, it's actually pretty hard to predict how the mentally ill star cultist community reacts

Star Citizen is like the first holodeck for these people, no matter if they're getting drained of all their money, oxygen or blood, drat it all

it's a fukkin' holodeck, the future is here

bless christ roberts

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Booourns posted:

This thread would be a lot more fun if you could actually read it.
Think you guys could cut back a little on the food chat, cat posting, "wow this thread has lots of replies", madden football gif generator gifs, and completely random off topic chat?
It would be real cool if I didn't have to skip through 5 pages at a time looking for actual SC related stuff

You seem sad. Have a catte watching football

:pgabz: PAAAAARRRRRP :pgabz:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Ledenko posted:

I think I'm gonna make an account and try this thing for free and document my findings.

I did it yesterday. It was bad, like way worse than I expected.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Well, I'm now waiting for the download to complete, should take an hour. Here are my notes so far:

quote:

Install installer, directx installer freezes sorta taking my network interfaces with it, requires hard reboot
email actually arrives after delay
reading prerelease testing terms, why Games Games Games
oh god the downloader is taking ALL the bandwidth

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Wafflz posted:

infamous brony citizen target acquired

mission success

You are my hero

chrisrobertssalute.jpg

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If all of this comes to the point where it ends up in court then how will CIG say it hasn't broken any laws? There's the "donation" thing yeah, but surely they've overstepped the boundaries with the refund stuff?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

ewe2 posted:

You seem sad. Have a catte watching football

:pgabz: PAAAAARRRRRP :pgabz:

That catte is quietly bemoaning his choice in mate, as she yells at him for the umpteenth time to not leave the litterbox cover up

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If all of this comes to the point where it ends up in court then how will CIG say it hasn't broken any laws? There's the "donation" thing yeah, but surely they've overstepped the boundaries with the refund stuff?

Seems to be okay in the US, however other countries have much stronger consumer laws. I'm confused about why they were going to challenge that one dude's small claims action in the UK, they have not got a leg to stand on.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

alphabettitouretti posted:

Seems to be okay in the US, however other countries have much stronger consumer laws. I'm confused about why they were going to challenge that one dude's small claims action in the UK, they have not got a leg to stand on.

probably hoping to intimidate him into backing down or settling rather than going to court. can't let those floodgates open, they'll never shut them again

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Daztek posted:

Not only will you not get a refund, you'll likely get an additional bill when the other party does a chargeback.

See you in debtors' prison Commando! 07

(Unless you come from a nation of bar tending ex cons with strangely good consumer rights in which case CIG will poo poo themselves)

KM Scorchio fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 4, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Depends on their internal finances that they don't talk about or release.

Also, the people getting refunds from companies that aren't Cloud Imperium Games is some pretty shady poo poo.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

But but but in the TOS we clearly state we only have to abide by the law in California - you can't use UK/Australian/EU law against us! You signed that TOS!

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

probably hoping to intimidate him into backing down or settling rather than going to court. can't let those floodgates open, they'll never shut them again

Yeah, or that he'll make a mistake so they can win on a technicality. Still a dangerous game to play though. If he wins you've opened the floodgates by yourself, surely better to quietly pay up and shut them down before it goes all legal. But then it is CIG and they don't really do sensible decision.

Maybe they could threaten to melt his ships if he doesn't fold.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

But but but in the TOS we clearly state we only have to abide by the law in California - you can't use UK/Australian/EU law against us! You signed that TOS*!

*CiG has no way of proving which TOS you signed, and changes them to suit their needs

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Mendrian posted:

What do people mean in chat when they say 'it took me a half hour to set this up'. I've seen it in old chat complaint threads and on reddit to. What are they 'setting up'? I keep imagining some kind of steampunk engine that slowly spits out a ship or something idgi
They think they're setting up very valuable tests about ship physics or whatever that they will write up and send to CIG.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
I'm so amazingly happy right now. It was only $80, but it feels really good to have stood my ground on some real bullshit.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'm so amazingly happy right now. It was only $80, but it feels really good to have stood my ground on some real bullshit.

so i won't be seeing you in the 'verse?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

HapiMerchant posted:

he's an aussie, so under his county's laws companies must provide a refund for digital goods. CiG was wise for once and did not go to bat against the aussies gov't.

Yes, and in the EU they must refund up to 14 days after delivery of the last item bought in a bundle (SQ42). However making them do something they by law have to do, appears harder in the EU than Australia, I assume they are more scared of the Australian complaint system than trading standards in the UK etc.

AP fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 4, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:pgabz: Oh my god! It worked! :pgabz:

Holy poo poo, the one weird trick actually worked!

Know your rights kids.

how much was the refund for?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Gilganixon posted:

so i won't be seeing you in the 'verse?

Well I'm hoping to win the CIG writing competition with my entry, "Gorn with the solar wind." So I'll probably reinvest my winnings from that into a new space vessel.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Agrajag posted:

how much was the refund for?

$80.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

:pgabz: Oh my god! It worked! :pgabz:

Holy poo poo, the one weird trick actually worked!

Know your rights kids.

Thanks I've just sent my denied request back too.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah I got my $250 back in December. I had written that money off but there was a big push for refunds in the thread so I went ahead and filed for one in early November and it paid off, a very pleasant surprise.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Absolutely not ok in the US.

Chargeback cases heavily favor the consumer and burden of proof of product delivery falls on the company. CIG did not deliver a product which was paid for. They can spout their donation pledge bullshit all they want, that's not how the banks see it.

Even if they quote their TOS while fighting a chargeback case they'll lose. All that needs to be said is their TOS changed before the expected release date.

Edit-
If they deny your refund initiate a chargeback. You'll win.

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Feb 4, 2016

Peroxide Cowboy
Nov 30, 2013

Trying to get refunded and avoid bans through off sites is the only real game play SC has to offer.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Romes128 posted:

Absolutely not ok in the US.

Chargeback cases heavily favor the consumer and burden of proof of product delivery falls on the company. CIG did not deliver a product which was paid for. They can spout their donation pledge bullshit all they want, that's not how the banks see it.

Even if they quote their TOS while fighting a chargeback case they'll lose. All that needs to be said is their TOS changed before the expected release date.

Edit-
If they deny your refund initiate a chargeback. You'll win.

curious to see if there have been any goons here who have had their banks refuse to do a chargeback.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Agrajag posted:

curious to see if there have been any goons here who have had their banks refuse to do a chargeback.

Only time I've ever heard of that was if the account was changed or closed. You're out of luck if you no longer have the same account you made the purchase with.

Banks can't refuse to do a chargeback. They must investing every case brought to them, no matter how trivial.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Agrajag posted:

I remember someone being denied a chargeback because the purchase had been almost 3 years before.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually now I'm curious about CIGs PCI compliance since people have received refunds from a different entity that charged them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

straya mate

• Locked thread