Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

could these people even define "white culture"? i'm a white guy and i can't think of a specific white culture. there's irish culture. or german culture. or english culture. but there's no white culture i can think of that needs preserving or defending. i know it's a dogwhistle but what would they say if you said "what's white culture?" would they just point out things that more properly go in the categories i mentioned? it's all very confusing.

Usually all the "good stuff". European philosophy, science, art, culture, etc. Most of them are also too stupid to realize the massive contribution Jews and Slavs (and Medieval Arabs) have made to that science and culture.

Hence the Greek/Roman statues many of them have in their profile pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Regarde Aduck posted:

Are they fat? Do they look like they're cosplaying? Do they start crying and take off their "uniform" when confronted with counter protesters? These are the 4channers.

Do they look like roided up vikings carrying assault rifles? That'll be the actual nazis.

There's a story of the 4channer who got ran out of a Nazi rally at gunpoint when they started trying to sell Pepe merch and I wish I could find it now. Even the hardcore Nazis don't like them because of how bad they make them look.

Which is impressive considering they're loving Nazis and look bad by default.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fans posted:

There's a story of the 4channer who got ran out of an actual nazi rally at gunpoint when they started trying to sell Pepe merch and I wish I could find it now. Even the actual nazis don't like them because of how bad they make them look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXRbIdaLD4Q

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sargon just lost his parachute twitter account. I guess when you're banned from twitter they don't let you make a new account or use a backup.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Majestic.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

The anime/nazi thing is because there's more than one type of nazi. You have your actual driven white supremacists who can't loving stand anime or weebs. But then you have your 4channers who are nazi's as a flavour of nihilism. They know their lives are hosed and can't find a way out and just want to sow chaos. This is most of the keksters. They are filled with hate, being a nazi is a good a way as any to express this. And, like furries, they get free "friends" by virtue of being in a group. They have nothing to lose. No friends to alienate. Just a lot of hatred at normies/the jew controlled world.

Are they fat? Do they look like they're cosplaying? Do they start crying and take off their "uniform" when confronted with counter protesters? These are the 4channers.

Do they look like roided up vikings carrying assault rifles? That'll be the actual nazis.

Nazis come in all stripes. Whether it's literal or figurative, they're all missing a chin: they're unexceptional people for whom their only advantage is their race, and they don't want that privilege to go away. If they got their ethnostate of a coast-to-coast Connecticut, they would eat eachother once they realise that since everyone's the same, nobody's special any more.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
sargon made a video about how nazis are.... bad??

let's see what the fans are saying

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Lovechop posted:

Also the book he's quoting draws heavy parallels between Kant and Hitler. You know noted classical liberal Kant.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

this dude poured oil on his dick and put a banana in his rear end in a top hat

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Lovechop posted:

sargon looks like kevin smith but somehow he's even less bearable

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

landgrabber posted:

he also somehow looks even older than him

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Lovechop posted:

My favorite is the poster who as their only point says that the core group of Rand cultists were all Jews.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

landgrabber posted:

Kevin Smith at least has good stories and seems like he'd be fun to hang out with and smoke weed.

Can't say the same about Carl. Not surprising since his entire career is just him complaining about something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Usually all the "good stuff". European philosophy, science, art, culture, etc. Most of them are also too stupid to realize the massive contribution Jews and Slavs (and Medieval Arabs) have made to that science and culture.

Hence the Greek/Roman statues many of them have in their profile pics.

but there is no pan-european culture!! that'd be greek culture! that'd be roman culture!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
soccer and hooliganism are pan-european culture

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

but there is no pan-european culture!! that'd be greek culture! that'd be roman culture!

I know. See the "too stupid to realize part". :(

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

JFairfax posted:

soccer and hooliganism are pan-european culture

enjoyment of mr bean and complaining about the weather is pan-european culture

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

The Neo-Nazi fascination with video games and anime is so weird to me since old school Nazis hated stuff that was modern and not European. Neo-Nazis idolizing Duke Nukem seems fitting since it's a hypermasculine relic from decades past whose most recent incarnation sucks. Also fashwave seems pointless since it's indistinguishable from regular mall music without knowing who made it. Nice cameo by the dude from They Live since misinterpreting movies is common with the alt-right crowd.

The best horeshoe theory pic I saw was where both extreme left and extreme right are deeply into anime and have anime avatars

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dreylad posted:

The best horeshoe theory pic I saw was where both extreme left and extreme right are deeply into anime and have anime avatars

this checks out

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Dreylad posted:

...they're not wrong

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Goon Danton posted:

I was told by an anarchist that during the Russian Revolution, the (anarcho-communist) Free Territory was one of only like two factions not to do some pogrom-ing on the side, and the only one to actually punish people for doing pogroms. I admit though, it wasn't an unbiased source, and I have no citations.

Yeah, they are lying. Makhno's followers in the Free Territory engaged in pogroms.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

LunarShadow posted:

Yeah, they are lying. Makhno's followers in the Free Territory engaged in pogroms.

Please don't just state contentious historical issues as facts.

wikipedia posted:

Allegations of antisemitism

Like the White army, the Ukrainian National Republic and forces loyal to the Bolsheviks, Makhno's forces were accused of conducting pogroms against Jews in Ukraine during the civil war, based on the Bolshevik accounts of the war.[24] However, these claims have never been proven. Anarchist Paul Avrich writes, "Maknno's alleged anti-Semitism...Charges of Jew-baiting and of anti-Jewish pogroms have come from every quarter, left, right, and center. Without exception, however, they are based on hearsay, rumor, or intentional slander, and remain undocumented and unproved."[25] Avrich notes that a considerable number of Jews took part in the Makhnovist anarchist movement. Some, like Vsevolod Mikhailovich Eikhenbaum, also known as "Voline",[26][27] and Baron Aron were intellectuals who served on the Cultural-Educational Commission, wrote his manifestos, and edited his journals, but the great majority fought in the ranks of the Anarchist Black Army, either in special detachments of Jewish artillery and infantry, or else within the regular anarchist army brigades alongside peasants and workers of Ukrainian, Russian, and other ethnic origins. Together they formed a significant part of Makhno's anarchist army.[26][27] Significantly, during the Russian civil war, the Merkaz or Central Committee of the Zionist Organization in Russia regularly reported on many armed groups committing pogroms against Jews in Russia, including the Whites, the Russian Ukrainian 'Green' nationalist Nikifor Grigoriev (later shot by Black Army troops on Makhno's orders) as well as Red Army forces, but did not accuse Makhno or the anarchist Black Army of directing pogroms or other attacks against Russian Jews.[28] According to Peter Kenez, “He was a self-educated man, committed to the teachings of Bakunin and Kropotkin, and he could not fairly be described as an anti-Semite. Makhno had Jewish comrades and friends; and like Symon Petliura, he issued a proclamation forbidding pogroms.” Kenez goes on to claim (with no evidence, reason or source) that the anarchist leader could not or did not impose discipline on his soldiers. In the name of ‘class struggle’ his troops with particular enthusiasm robbed Jews of whatever they had.”[29] This would be in the spirit of standards of behaviour which Makhno promoted for his troops, which called for war against "the rich bourgeoisie of all nationalities" be they Russian, Ukrainian or Jewish, as well as his explicit order not to beat or rob "peaceful Jews".[30]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Makhno#Allegations_of_antisemitism

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Regarde Aduck posted:

The anime/nazi thing is because there's more than one type of nazi. You have your actual driven white supremacists who can't loving stand anime or weebs. But then you have your 4channers who are nazi's as a flavour of nihilism. They know their lives are hosed and can't find a way out and just want to sow chaos. This is most of the keksters. They are filled with hate, being a nazi is a good a way as any to express this. And, like furries, they get free "friends" by virtue of being in a group. They have nothing to lose. No friends to alienate. Just a lot of hatred at normies/the jew controlled world.

There are quite a few genuine Nazi sympathizers and outright activists that are still into anime. It's usually 4channers and other internet-radicalized people, yes, but ones that have grown out of the "heh, triggered liberals?!" phase.

It's more than a bit confusing, but once you get past the fact that anime and manga are from a different culture/race, it sort of makes sense that a fascist would be alright with it. Most anime has at least moderately-traditionalist undertones - characters rarely rock the boat too much, gender roles are rarely challenged, homosexuality is still seen as rather taboo, and there's little in the way of social commentary. Exceptions, of course, exist, but compare that to Western media, especially cartoons, and it's night-and-day.

If Nazis are able to either admit that Japan is a "one of the good ones" nation, or they at least are able to ignore the fact that the characters aren't white, then anime as a medium is actually pretty non-challenging to a bigoted ideology. It's not that it's bigoted ITSELF, per se - although exceptions, unfortunately, exist - but anime doesn't really do much to challenge traditionalist thought. Western media, on the other hand, has spent the last few decades at least questioning the social order - slowly and awkwardly, yes, but they've at least tried. A fascist being really into Avatar: The Last Airbender would be ridiculous, since part of the message of the show is that hating people of different cultures is wrong and, y'know, genocide is bad. A fascist being really into Bleach, which is about, I dunno, swords or something? Yeah I could see that.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

There are quite a few genuine Nazi sympathizers and outright activists that are still into anime. It's usually 4channers and other internet-radicalized people, yes, but ones that have grown out of the "heh, triggered liberals?!" phase.

It's more than a bit confusing, but once you get past the fact that anime and manga are from a different culture/race, it sort of makes sense that a fascist would be alright with it. Most anime has at least moderately-traditionalist undertones - characters rarely rock the boat too much, gender roles are rarely challenged, homosexuality is still seen as rather taboo, and there's little in the way of social commentary. Exceptions, of course, exist, but compare that to Western media, especially cartoons, and it's night-and-day.

If Nazis are able to either admit that Japan is a "one of the good ones" nation, or they at least are able to ignore the fact that the characters aren't white, then anime as a medium is actually pretty non-challenging to a bigoted ideology. It's not that it's bigoted ITSELF, per se - although exceptions, unfortunately, exist - but anime doesn't really do much to challenge traditionalist thought. Western media, on the other hand, has spent the last few decades at least questioning the social order - slowly and awkwardly, yes, but they've at least tried. A fascist being really into Avatar: The Last Airbender would be ridiculous, since part of the message of the show is that hating people of different cultures is wrong and, y'know, genocide is bad. A fascist being really into Bleach, which is about, I dunno, swords or something? Yeah I could see that.

Lots of anime exists to pander to young male boners (harem, ecchi, etc). It's pretty MRA-inspired by many standards, and with the odd exception portrays a young dude who is a loser or nobody (the author) getting a lot of fawning attention from very good-looking women who have nothing better to do all day than revolve around the relative non-entity. Japanese archetypes of female personality are also all relatively crude (tsundere isn't a loving thing, guys) and focus on their relationships with men instead of any uniquely individual desires or interests. MRAs often see anime women as an (insane) feminine ideal.

For me, Manga/Anime has had a weird transformation. When I started reading/watching it in the late 90's and early 00's, it seemed like a more progressive genre willing to explore adult situations, female empowerment (of sorts), different sexualities (when I was a teen I didn't realize that hot lesbians didn't count) and subject matters that seemed outside of the western norm. In 2017 it seems like the exact opposite, with western cartoons/comics pushing the boundaries (even stuff like Steven Universe is super transgressive in many ways), while Anime/Manga languishes in a sludge of ancient and lovely stereotypes of fanservice, titninjas and tired AF tropes.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
like nazis anime should not be tolerated

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Lots of anime exists to pander to young male boners (harem, ecchi, etc). It's pretty MRA-inspired by many standards, and with the odd exception portrays a young dude who is a loser or nobody (the author) getting a lot of fawning attention from very good-looking women who have nothing better to do all day than revolve around the relative non-entity. Japanese archetypes of female personality are also all relatively crude (tsundere isn't a loving thing, guys) and focus on their relationships with men instead of any uniquely individual desires or interests. MRAs often see anime women as an (insane) feminine ideal.

For me, Manga/Anime has had a weird transformation. When I started reading/watching it in the late 90's and early 00's, it seemed like a more progressive genre willing to explore adult situations, female empowerment (of sorts), different sexualities (when I was a teen I didn't realize that hot lesbians didn't count) and subject matters that seemed outside of the western norm. In 2017 it seems like the exact opposite, with western cartoons/comics pushing the boundaries (even stuff like Steven Universe is super transgressive in many ways), while Anime/Manga languishes in a sludge of ancient and lovely stereotypes of fanservice, titninjas and tired AF tropes.

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm not terribly into anime and mostly I'm into manga as part of being into comics in general rather than being plugged into that fandom, but from what I understand the bottom fell out of the market so they have to pander more to the kind of weirdos who buy body pillows. There's also a selection bias when it comes to what gets officially translated because many American anime fans are like that too. Japan is also going through a right wing nationalist phase like America, look at the Abe government.

I know there's stuff still being made that's not poo poo but you'd have to ask someone else what it is, the last anime I watched was an episode of Dragon Ball Super and I haven't read anything newer than Tezuka reprints for awhile.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

JFairfax posted:

like nazis anime should not be tolerated

Nah, I just watched the Castlevania and Little Witch Academy series' on Netflix (also season 2 of Attack on Titan). Both were good. Some of the best media I've consumed was Anime/Mange (Grave of the Fireflies, GITS, Appleseed, Akira, almost anything by Junji Ito). Japan doesn't really have a feminist movement yet, sadly, which is where I think a lot of cultural problems stem from.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Japan doesn't really have a feminist movement yet, sadly, which is where I think a lot of cultural problems stem from.

I don't think this is true, it's just different.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Please don't just state contentious historical issues as facts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_Makhno#Allegations_of_antisemitism

There is a reason I said his followers, as it did occur against his wishes. It was /why/ he had to come out and make proclamations against doing it. I was just pointing out that it was a lie that the Free Territory was the only one to not commit pogroms, when in fact it did occur.

quote:

The numerous orders and appeals of Makhno against pogroms were not issued merely for appearances. It will be clear from the above that any incidents (we shall refer to a few later) in the Makhnovschyna took place against Makhno's own strong beliefs, inclinations, and orders.
https://libcom.org/history/anti-semitism-makhnovists-michael-malet
(This is also just a really good article in general and delves into the nuance and complexity of the issue)

Edit: I will cop to missing where they said the only one to punish it. Eastern Europe, and the Russian Rev/Civil War in particular, is my field of study, which you can imagine is filled with political bias in every direction.

LunarShadow fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 23, 2017

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Japan doesn't really have a feminist movement yet, sadly, which is where I think a lot of cultural problems stem from.

Japan doesn't have the same kind of feminist movement as America, this doesn't mean it's non-existent.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Nah, I just watched the Castlevania and Little Witch Academy series' on Netflix (also season 2 of Attack on Titan). Both were good. Some of the best media I've consumed was Anime/Mange (Grave of the Fireflies, GITS, Appleseed, Akira, almost anything by Junji Ito). Japan doesn't really have a feminist movement yet, sadly, which is where I think a lot of cultural problems stem from.

get thee to the gulag

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

A number of western cartoons were boundary-pushing and transgressive in the 90s as well, at least on TV. Looking back, it's surprising things like Rocko's Modern Life or Ren and Stimpy were ever allowed to exist by the studio heads.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Japan doesn't have the same kind of feminist movement as America, this doesn't mean it's non-existent.

japan only made pedophilia illegal like last year or something didnt it?

e/ actually she's a 5000 year old demon in the body of an 8 year old

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

JFairfax posted:

japan only made pedophilia illegal like last year or something didnt it?

No, I think Japan's laws against that were at the prefecture level so people assumed they didn't have any. Or something like that.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm not terribly into anime and mostly I'm into manga as part of being into comics in general rather than being plugged into that fandom, but from what I understand the bottom fell out of the market so they have to pander more to the kind of weirdos who buy body pillows. There's also a selection bias when it comes to what gets officially translated because many American anime fans are like that too. Japan is also going through a right wing nationalist phase like America, look at the Abe government.

I know there's stuff still being made that's not poo poo but you'd have to ask someone else what it is, the last anime I watched was an episode of Dragon Ball Super and I haven't read anything newer than Tezuka reprints for awhile.

Yeah, I'm aware the market bottomed out and the culture has shifted right, but I remember a ton of these lovely tropes when anime was still hot: Sailor Moon, Oh My Goddess, DBZ, Ranma 1/2, Kenshin and many, many others. Most weren't interested in challenging any of the common tropes. If you look at most season lineups, even the shows that don't get translated all sound like fanservice fapbait.

Dragon Ball Super has been really bad and I basically can't watch it anymore.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

No, I think Japan's laws against that were at the prefecture level so people assumed they didn't have any. Or something like that.

that and all the child rape anime + manga

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Oh god I am sorry for sparking Anime Chat please can we go back to talking about how Sargon's beard makes him look like a cartoon badger

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
given tehy have a child's view of sex + women it's no surprise the alt-right love animes

+ they also love rape.

and Japan actually does have pedigree when it comes to allying with Nazis so it's kinda understandable from a historical perspective as well

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Ok... it's not particularly notable and does not seem to have affected popular media strongly. I don't doubt that it exists, however I'm not sure where it's making an impact given the abysmal employment figures for women in high-level positions and other similar metrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Goon Danton posted:

A number of western cartoons were boundary-pushing and transgressive in the 90s as well, at least on TV. Looking back, it's surprising things like Rocko's Modern Life or Ren and Stimpy were ever allowed to exist by the studio heads.

Rocko's Modern Life, Duckman and similar cartoons were great, I just don't think I managed to catch most of them at the time.

• Locked thread