Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

MourningView posted:

I mean it’s not like you’re making a lot of money or getting flooded with FBS job offers coaching DIII

Counterpoint: your dad is the boss and a literal demigod at the school and you've already won a national title yourself, potentially a second in a few days.

I'm pretty sure a Kehres could commit ritual murder in Alliance, Ohio and nothing would be done.

Vince may leave (and Larry may go back to HC, who knows) but I doubt it'd be so soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hell, give Pete Fredenburg, head coach of the defending DIII champs a call. He's a cool 196-38 in 18 years at UMHB.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I forget if UW-Whitewater's coach went to FCS or DII but he definitely moved up.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

iospace posted:

I forget if UW-Whitewater's coach went to FCS or DII but he definitely moved up.

Yeah, Lance Leipold. He’s at FBS Buffalo right now, and isn’t looking great. He has a 13-23 record.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Noctone posted:

I wonder if Trump is also President in whatever timeline KJI is posting from.

It's incredible how you and others keep arguing for this idiotic, laughably easy to disprove lie. I'm not offended, it's just no, facts exist dude. Roy Moore didn't ride on dinosaurs with Jesus and Rutgers is a mediocre football program that's unfairly thought of as worse than it actually has been. I don't like talking about it all the time either, but if people keep saying it then they're going to have to defend it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

northwestern is a historically great football team that fell on some hard times

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's incredible how you and others keep arguing for this idiotic, laughably easy to disprove lie. I'm not offended, it's just no, facts exist dude. Roy Moore didn't ride on dinosaurs with Jesus and Rutgers is a mediocre football program that's unfairly thought of as worse than it actually has been. I don't like talking about it all the time either, but if people keep saying it then they're going to have to defend it.

Roy Moore refusing to concede the election is very similar to you refusing to concede that Rutgers is bad, I agree, this is a good random comparison to make

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cnidario posted:

Yeah, Lance Leipold. He’s at FBS Buffalo right now, and isn’t looking great. He has a 13-23 record.

They do seem to be improving, for what it's worth. They missed a bowl this year because the Poinsettia disappeared and they lost a 7OT game to Western Michigan.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Rutgers has a lot in common with traditional powers like Tennessee and Florida

For example, they all went 4-8 this year

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Henchman of Santa posted:

They do seem to be improving, for what it's worth. They missed a bowl this year because the Poinsettia disappeared and they lost a 7OT game to Western Michigan.

If he has a good season next year he'll get some offers I reckon.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Kim Jong Il posted:

well, one of those things is true

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Oh man they were in that game? Shouldve gotten a bowl bid, they couldve played the highlights to hype it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

They did take a huge step back in year two from year one but yeah he at least kinda righted the ship this season.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Oh man they were in that game? Shouldve gotten a bowl bid, they couldve played the highlights to hype it

Hey, gently caress you buddy, Western actually won and was bowl eligible! WMU can play the highlights to hype their hypothetical retroactive bowl bid

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Kent state should look to their alumni base for a successful coach who wants to come home to *checking* Kent, OH

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
FB Scoop reported they were interviewing Garrett "Brother of Lincoln" Riley, who coaches QBs at Kansas and is all of 28 years old

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kent State will never admit it publicly but they basically stopped giving a drat about football quite a while ago. They schedule a couple P5 teams to cover costs of the year and let that be that. At this point they're a basketball school. It's not hard to see why they're getting turned down.

I think Paul Haynes had one of, if not the, lowest assistant salary pools of the MAC as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I maintain that Kent State should just promote Detroit Dogg even though I’m pretty sure he’s not there anymore

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Nick Saban is a Kent State alumni, maybe they can get him back

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Nick Saban is a Kent State alumni, maybe they can get him back

So are Lou Holtz and Gary Pinkel!

nah
Mar 16, 2009

sounds like a 3 headed coaching hydra that the "Golden Flashes" need ASAP

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has Les Miles expressed interest?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
MourningView, do you think Kliemann would have much success in FBS? I know Bohl has been pretty meh at Wyoming, but it is Wyoming. I watch quite a few NDSU games since I'm from here and they seem pretty well coached all around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

wandler20 posted:

MourningView, do you think Kliemann would have much success in FBS? I know Bohl has been pretty meh at Wyoming, but it is Wyoming. I watch quite a few NDSU games since I'm from here and they seem pretty well coached all around.

I like them a lot schematically but man it’s so hard to say. He didn’t build the program, he inherited what was already the best team in FCS and then just kept the machine running (if anything they’ve fallen a bit behind JMU the last couple years), so it’s hard to know how much credit to give him and how much to give Bohl. It would probably depend on the situation. I’d definitely take a look at him if I were a MAC or MWC school, assuming you could get him to leave. Maybe even an upper Midwest P5 school, though I don’t think he’d be my top choice in that case. He’s from Iowa so if our program ever collapses to the point that we have to cut ties with all Ferentzes (Ferentzs? ferentzi?) I guess he might be a name on the list, but probably not at the top.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Rod Broadway

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

Rod Broadway

Charlotte should hire him when they inevitably fire the current dude

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MourningView posted:

Charlotte should hire him when they inevitably fire the current dude

I bet he'd be great!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tommy Bowden

Hell, bring in Skip Holz, Sean Snyder, Jay Paterno, Kendal Briles, Brian Ferentz- let's just turn MAC into the Failson Conference.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 14, 2017

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

an adult beverage posted:

They should bring Darrell Hazell back.

Yes, Kent State needs to pay for what they did back in the 70's.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/941397310193504258

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Is he the corner's dad?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Is he the corner's dad?

Yep

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Kim Jong Il posted:

Jesus gently caress you are dense, and that was 11 years ago, it wasn't what I was talking about. It's being a respectable program.

Because the Big East's bowl tie ins were a joke.

Anyway, supposedly Rutgers and South Carolina are both trying to hire Phil Long from Ole Miss.

If Ole Miss wants to keep Longo they will keep him. Matt Luke’s contract doesn’t pay him tons, but it gives him a salary pool of a little over $5 million for assistants.

It’s possible they may not fight to keep him, as some fans were inexplicably upset with his work (particularly how the offense did against good defenses) but I thought he did a fine job and would be sad to see him go.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Quarterbacking was one of the shittier parts of KU's performance last year too. What the gently caress is Kent State thinking?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Something along the lines of "Oh God, we need someone, anyone to coach this team!" probably.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Probably Magic posted:

Quarterbacking was one of the shittier parts of KU's performance last year too. What the gently caress is Kent State thinking?

"His brother is good, therefore"

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Marquis de Pyro posted:

"His brother is good, therefore"

The Stoops affect.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jim Mora Jr, huh Taggert?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Jim Mora Jr, huh Taggert?

Wait. What you hearing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This gives you a little better idea about the conditions of Kent State. They had a consulting firm come in a couple years ago to evaluate everything in light of UAB dropping football at the time.

quote:

The consultant has suggested that the university form a unified vision and brand for its sports programs. And despite the conclusion about the university’s sports facilities, there are no immediate plans to renovate them.

The consultant recommended focusing first on improving athletic safety and performance at facilities, such as the weight room.

Warren also said the description of Dix Stadium and MAC Center as “tired and outdated” was generous.

“Certainly we have not made the investments that other institutions, some very close by, who have invested millions of dollars in new facilities,” Warren said, alluding to the $65 million InfoCision Stadium at the University of Akron.

This is both a dig at Akron, who was in a serious budget crunch in 2015 (and still are, to my knowledge) but spent a shitload of money on a new stadium anyway, and an admission that they just have not had much in terms of fundraising lately. Kent is trying to keep athletics more privately funded so as to not raise student fees, the problem is there just hasn't been many private donations lately.

Since that consultation, it seems like most of the efforts have first focused on the MAC Center, and basketball and volleyball. Football's been left by the wayside. It's not hard to see why so many coaches just don't want to deal with it.

This is purely speculation on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me if Kent wanted to drop football entirely, and may have even looked at it, but I'm guessing the MAC won't let them stay as a basketball-only member of the conference.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 15, 2017

• Locked thread