Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Serious answer: Ebola, if this West African outbreak cannot be contained by December 15.

How do you think the Emirates healthcare system would respond to an Indian expat returning and developing symptoms while waiting for their connecting flight? How would the Emirates handle a disease outbreak in their migrant worker population? If Saudi experience is anything to go by, "very poorly."

I'm not Indian; I just live in India. Desi workers in the Emirates are treated like poo poo, I already know. There are generally three castes in UAE: Emiratis, Western/other Arab/Iranian expats, and other expats (mostly Desi and Filipino). Westerners tend to enjoy a very high standard of living there, including health care. A Canadian friend who's been in Abu Dhabi for over a decade says he enjoys stellar care.

I'm not really concerned about ebola though. In four decades, it has become clea that outside of Fourth World countries in West Africa, the conditions do not exist for ebola to thrive. The Emirates are sparsely populated, with excellent sanitation. I'm unimpressed by a lot of things here, but level of development and sanitation are impressive.

They seem more concerned about Iran here, buying lot of fighters and Patriots from the US recently.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You may not want to share your virulently pro-Israeli views with the locals, even under the influence. Just a thought.

Next, you'll tell me water is wet. Can't resist making GBS threads up a thread with taunts about Israel, can you? I've already been advised by several long-termers here who know me not to tell anyone I'm Jewish. What do you think about that?

Sergg posted:

It'll be fine. ISIS would have to march over the dead bodies of millions and millions of Shia before it even gets to the Saudi border.

Yeah, ISIS is a long way away.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Pretty much your main worry is going to be suddenloy becoming unemployed and getting thrown into debtors prison.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Sergg posted:

Pretty much your main worry is going to be suddenloy becoming unemployed and getting thrown into debtors prison.

Nah, I'd just leave. Lose your job, you lose your work visa. I would incur no debt to set up here. It's the Indians and Pakistanis that are often virtuan indentured servants. Booze will be more of an issue. You need an alcohol license to buy booze here. Bottle shops enforce the requirement in Dubai. Umm al-Quwain and Ras al-Khaimah do not enforce the rule, but they are on the other side of Sharjah, where even possession/transport of alcohol is strictly forbidden. Expats all have stories about shakedowns in Sharjah while returning from a liquor run. You're supposed to have a license to drink in a bar too, but Dubai and Abu Dhabi are full of bars, and no one checks. Muslims are forbidden alcohol in all seven emirates, but bars are full of locals and Iranians. Weird place. Absolutely crawling with open prostitution too. Sex ouside of marriage is illegal, and this has ben enforced, but they turn a blind eye to all the blatant propositioning in bars. Some women on the beaches in the middle of Dubai strut around in bikinis, while others swim fully covered. Internet is noticeably censored.

They've taken a prominent role against ISIS - wonder what's in it for them. Maybe geography means they don't have to be as cagey as Turkey.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TheImmigrant posted:

Nah, I'd just leave. Lose your job, you lose your work visa. I would incur no debt to set up here. It's the Indians and Pakistanis that are often virtuan indentured servants. Booze will be more of an issue. You need an alcohol license to buy booze here. Bottle shops enforce the requirement in Dubai. Umm al-Quwain and Ras al-Khaimah do not enforce the rule, but they are on the other side of Sharjah, where even possession/transport of alcohol is strictly forbidden. Expats all have stories about shakedowns in Sharjah while returning from a liquor run. You're supposed to have a license to drink in a bar too, but Dubai and Abu Dhabi are full of bars, and no one checks. Muslims are forbidden alcohol in all seven emirates, but bars are full of locals and Iranians. Weird place. Absolutely crawling with open prostitution too. Sex ouside of marriage is illegal, and this has ben enforced, but they turn a blind eye to all the blatant propositioning in bars. Some women on the beaches in the middle of Dubai strut around in bikinis, while others swim fully covered. Internet is noticeably censored.

They've taken a prominent role against ISIS - wonder what's in it for them. Maybe geography means they don't have to be as cagey as Turkey.

Living in a country which practices slavery as official policy makes you a loving monster, but I don't think you care much about that, do you?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

VanSandman posted:

Living in a country which practices slavery as official policy makes you a loving monster, but I don't think you care much about that, do you?

Isn't it generally the rule that expats are the worst people from whatever country they hail from?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

Isn't it generally the rule that expats are the worst people from whatever country they hail from?

Pakistani and Israeli expats have given me my best bar/clubcrawl nights.

Otherwise yeah, most expats go for the money in free market hellholes.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The gently caress are you guys talking about?

Here is some actual stuff:

quote:

Tunisians have flocked to polling stations since early hours of the day to choose a new parliament in elections seen as a test of democratic transition in the birthplace of the so-called Arab Spring.

Sunday’s general election is the first under the North African country's new constitution and the second since the 2011 uprising that overthrew the regime of Zine el Abidine Ben Ali.

Turnout defied most opinion polls, which had projected a decline in popular participation in the election of a 217-member legislature with a five-year term.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/10/high-turnout-tunisia-vote-defies-forecasts-20141026113835892666.html

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

TheImmigrant posted:

Anyone here an Emirates expert? I've been here for close to a week scouting for clients, and think I could live here well and happily. Very easy visa policy, great location and beaches, lots of opportunities. My shallow understanding suggests that it's pretty stable. Any threats on the horizon?

I'm in the Middle East. I oppose this idea.

I'm Emirati, weren't you in Sharjah before or something?

The country is as stable as it can get, anyone talks about something is usually phones, cars or other average poo poo. Don't talk about politics and pretend to be dumb, also insure there is no marijuana on your person even if it's medicinal, or any drugs at all. You don't require a license to drink in some places, but do require one if it's above 44% don't drive while drunk etc

Maintain cordial conduct with locals and don't get too chummy, they will trip on themselves and drag you along for the ride. Be careful not to step on any toes too. Don't hire a maid, you will only bring misery to her and yourself, do your own cleaning.

I think I got everything covered, I can't talk about my own country negatively, I realize some stuff is terrible but I think after the Arab spring they made their point clear for everyone and I'd rather not lose my job over it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sounds like a wonderful place that is exactly what anyone who willingly lives there deserves.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VanSandman posted:

The Emirates banned slaslay in 1972. Or 1973. Besides, the alternative to expatriation is the USA, the Worst Country in the World.

Arent you guys a worldly bunch.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Eh, I don't think not wanting to go to a country that forces me (as a woman) to dress a certain way makes me unworldly. If you don't mind the oppression though and only care about a place you can find work in then I'm sure it's a great place for someone like you and you will fit in just fine :)

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Fizzil posted:

I'm Emirati, weren't you in Sharjah before or something?

The country is as stable as it can get, anyone talks about something is usually phones, cars or other average poo poo. Don't talk about politics and pretend to be dumb, also insure there is no marijuana on your person even if it's medicinal, or any drugs at all. You don't require a license to drink in some places, but do require one if it's above 44% don't drive while drunk etc

Maintain cordial conduct with locals and don't get too chummy, they will trip on themselves and drag you along for the ride. Be careful not to step on any toes too. Don't hire a maid, you will only bring misery to her and yourself, do your own cleaning.

I think I got everything covered, I can't talk about my own country negatively, I realize some stuff is terrible but I think after the Arab spring they made their point clear for everyone and I'd rather not lose my job over it.

That's precisely the advice I've gotten. Also, do not even think about drugs. I've not lived in the Emirates before, and only visited Sharjah briefly. Dubai and Abu Dhabi are quite pleasant, if really expensive. But yeah, unanimous advice is enjoy the lifestyle, stay apolitical. Dating scene is really good there - lots and lots of single women in creative industries. Tinder crackles with activity in Dubai.

Strange thread about the Middle East where the local think you're a monster if an expat in the Middle East.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
No one should consider using nuclear weapons against the entire middle east, that is crazy. Just a few should be used on the territory straddling Syria and Iraq that ISIL controls. If the Middle East is to see further nuclear devastation the warheads would come form Israeli, Iranian, and Saudi arsenals; not from the outside. Or we could all work together to use nuclear energy for peaceful purposes.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

BattleMaster posted:

Eh, I don't think not wanting to go to a country that forces me (as a woman) to dress a certain way makes me unworldly. If you don't mind the oppression though and only care about a place you can find work in then I'm sure it's a great place for someone like you and you will fit in just fine :)

Women can and do wear shorts around town in the Emirates; a bikini to the public beach. In Dubai nightclubs, miniskirts are de rigueur. You're unworldly for thinking Dubai is in Saudi Arabia.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 26, 2014

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

Spoke Lee posted:

It's not as clear cut as you are trying to make it seem with your sanctimonious responses. When the alternative is actual genocide and sexual slavery, intervention being worse isn't a given.
You have no way of predicting that intervention in this conflict (at least the current type) will actually save more people than "leaving the situation alone".

It's also transparent bullshit, since plenty of countries are prepared to bomb/arm groups, yet few of them want to make any substantial effort to deal with the refugee crisis. Which would do some actual unmitigated good. But of course, that last thing doesn't funnel any money to the war industry, or allow politicians to score points.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CSM posted:

You have no way of predicting that intervention in this conflict (at least the current type) will actually save more people than "leaving the situation alone".

It's also transparent bullshit, since plenty of countries are prepared to bomb/arm groups, yet few of them want to make any substantial effort to deal with the refugee crisis. Which would do some actual unmitigated good. But of course, that last thing doesn't funnel any money to the war industry, or allow politicians to score points.

It'll save more of the right people than non-intervention would.

Per your second paragraph, gee, sounds just like Turkey, what with their whole 'arming the Ba'athists to commit terrorist attacks against Shia targets in Baghdad since 2006' policy.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

TheImmigrant posted:

Women can and do wear shorts around town in the Emirates; a bikini to the public beach. In Dubai nightclubs, miniskirts are de rigueur. You're unworldly for thinking Dubai is in Saudi Arabia.

which ones? locals or "tourists"?

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Don't worry guys this intervention we are just going to save the right of people. All the non right people can gently caress off and die.

nigel thornberry fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 26, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

the boston bomber posted:

Don't worry guys this intervention we are just going to save the right kind of people.

The right people being those who align with USG strategic interests for security and stability in the region while also limiting Iranian influence.

The latter can be removed if Iran just apologized for invading US territory, started getting with our program, and abandoned even thinking about thinking of nuclear weapons :mad:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Outright legal slavery was banned 40 years ago guys. How silly of you to bring it up. *drinks tea served by a fearful, cringing Indonesian woman*

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Thankfully our bombs instinctually know who the right people are and never kill the wrong people on accident.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Thankfully our bombs instinctually know who the right people are and never kill the wrong people on accident.

The vast majority of our bombs have ended up killing the right people in the conflict against ISIS, for an extremely minimal collateral damage bill.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

My Imaginary GF posted:

The vast majority of our bombs have ended up killing the right people* in the conflict against ISIS, for an extremely minimal collateral damage bill.
*all males above the age of 16

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

Whatever lets you sleep at night I guess.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Since he's Rahm Emanuel in real life, he doesn't have a conscience to be concerned about.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

The vast majority of our bombs have ended up killing the right people in the conflict against ISIS, for an extremely minimal collateral damage bill.

Know your audience, MIGF. I am sure that Audie Cornish would dutifully repeat what you said. Nobody else cares about your press releases though.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThirdPartyView posted:

Since he's Rahm Emanuel in real life, he doesn't have a conscience to be concerned about.

I have a conscious.

For instance, I'm conscious of the decision to arm PKK forces being a de facto shift in White House policy towards the inevitability of recognition of an independent Kurdistan.

gently caress the PKK for bombing Americans, and gently caress ISIS four times as much for forcing us to arm PKK troops.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
MIGF "conscience" and "conscious" are different words, not that it's fair of me to expect you to know that

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

It's pretty amazing how ISIS' PR campaign has managed to pull off in just a few months with just a few executions what took Osama Bin Laden decades of failed plans and 9/11 to accomplish; public support for a stupid US intervention in the Middle East. ISIS is literally begging the USA for the opportunity to kill more of our troops in a remote desert hellhole, and its ironic that those who "support" American long-term interests think more dead soldiers in Iraq will help USA hegemony.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Outright legal slavery was banned 40 years ago guys. How silly of you to bring it up. *drinks tea served by a fearful, cringing Indonesian woman*
Whereas slavery is still totally legal and constitutional in American prisons.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Charlotte Hornets posted:

which ones? locals or "tourists"?

80% of the population of the Emirates on any day is foreign, mostly foreign residents. Yesterday on the beach, I saw a lot of blonde women in bikinis, a few South Asian ones, and spoke with a couple of Iranian women in very skimpy ones too. (I liked that. Persian women are hot.) Emirati women tend to dress conservatively in hijab, and there are a lot of niqabs. I don't think that's legally mandated.

Dubai is easily the most liberal place on the Arabian Peninsula. It's not Beirut, but it sure as hell isn't Riyadh either.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

SOHR's latest estimate was 30-something civilians killed, and 500 ISIS fighters. ISIS executed 700 Sheitat civilians in a couple days. The US is wrong right now for a lot of reasons, but blowing up a bunch of civilians indiscriminately is not one of them.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Per your second paragraph, gee, sounds just like Turkey, what with their whole 'arming the Ba'athists to commit terrorist attacks against Shia targets in Baghdad since 2006' policy.

Okay, I'll bite if no-one else will. Where you getting this from?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kustomkarkommando posted:

Okay, I'll bite if no-one else will. Where you getting this from?

Sent via PM.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

fade5 posted:

Also, the Kurds legitimately like us (amazingly enough):
http://www.ndtv.com/article/world/grateful-for-us-strikes-syrian-kurds-name-baby-obama-611617

That type of real support for the US is nearly impossible to find in the Middle East, the last time I can think that the US had that kind of popular support is ... Libya.

Sadly enough, though its probably well known by a lot of posters, there was a lot of pro-American sentiment just after 9/11. Bush really capitalised on it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nopantsjack posted:

Sadly enough, though its probably well known by a lot of posters, there was a lot of pro-American sentiment just after 9/11. Bush really capitalised on it.

Its impossible to state "the kurds really liked us" because Kurds are an ethnic group of 40 million with diverse populations and many organized and armed political factions. KRG really liked USG after the fall of Saddam while PKK seized upon the 2003 invasion to launch CBOs against Turkish targets. Due to the rift between Maliki and Erdogan in 2006-2008 and the inability of American forces to conduct active combat operations in northern iraq, USG began to pressure KRG to crack down on PKK while also providing OpInt to GoT forces to conduct pinpoint air and artillery strikes against PKK training camps and militant encampments. I'm certain PKK-aligned Kurds did not 'love' America after that.

One really has to appreciate how drastic a policy change arming PKK forces in Kobani is for American foreign policy, and how the inevitable outcome is likely to be a Kurdish declaration of independence. Why else do you think everyone held off on assisting forces in Kobani for so long?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

80% of the population of the Emirates on any day is foreign, mostly foreign residents. Yesterday on the beach, I saw a lot of blonde women in bikinis, a few South Asian ones, and spoke with a couple of Iranian women in very skimpy ones too. (I liked that. Persian women are hot.) Emirati women tend to dress conservatively in hijab, and there are a lot of niqabs. I don't think that's legally mandated.

Dubai is easily the most liberal place on the Arabian Peninsula. It's not Beirut, but it sure as hell isn't Riyadh either.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/20/world/meast/uae-norway-rape-controversy/

Story of a Norwegian woman sentenced to one year in prison for "unlawful sex" aka being raped.

Sounds like a wonderful place.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

Especially in Iran. There were huge demonstrations in solidarity with the US in Teheran in the immediate wake of the attacks. Then, Axis of Evil.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess if you're a man in a lucrative business UAE/Dubai looks like the best playground ever as long as you want to party and never have any opinions or deeper social relationships but it sounds like hell to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheImmigrant posted:

Especially in Iran. There were huge demonstrations in solidarity with the US in Teheran in the immediate wake of the attacks. Then, Axis of Evil.

There were larger regional issues at stake; we could manage the Afghan invasion by ourselves at the time. International cooperation and good will doesn't come cheap: What did Tehran want, and what would they realistically acquire, by becoming part of the coalition against the Taliban?

BattleMaster posted:

I guess if you're a man in a lucrative business UAE/Dubai looks like the best playground ever as long as you want to party and never have any opinions or deeper social relationships but it sounds like hell to me.

:911: Sounds like corporate America to me. A little slice of America, right across from Iran.

• Locked thread