Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
the hell is a chiptune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

I just found out Shin Gundam Musou(Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn) is coming to America this year. So psyched

i just want sengoku basara 4 to be localized :qq:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Titty Warlord posted:

man i just got to 7 days for the first time then i was mauled by some sort of hell hound

lost all my piles of poo poo and dead rabbits :rip:

it's a hard game, the biggest hurdle to get over is winter. summer is apparently even more brutal now which is pretty ??? in itself.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

oval office raja posted:

the hell is a chiptune

songs made of beeps and boops

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Enfys posted:

I do sometimes wish there were more ladygoons into sports itt

The Giro is coming up and we could talk about bikes and men's butts because cyclists have amazing butts and legs

Shannon they're going to be in Belfast even in less than a month so you could watch sexy butts (and steal a support car with all their sexy bikes that cost more than some people's cars)

I was talking about this with a friend earlier, is there such a thing as professional level Women's bicycling? Is there a Ladies Tour De France like a month after the real one?

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

i just want sengoku basara 4 to be localized :qq:

DWGR is even getting a physical release! That's why I haven't played the Orochis, paying more than like, 20 bucks for an online thing is something I can't bring myself to do

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

oval office raja posted:

the hell is a chiptune

It's music made with the super-primitive hardware you'd find in an 80s video game console, basically?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
techno for hypervirgins and quadnerds

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

AriadneThread posted:

It's music made with the super-primitive hardware you'd find in an 80s video game console, basically?

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfHHLfbjNQ

I've always liked that

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
oh ok that makes sense

boom boom boom posted:

Is there a Ladies Tour De France like a month after the real one?

ahem.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

webcomics are the girl version of chiptunes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Neurolimal posted:

techno for hypervirgins and quadnerds

good thing I listen to edm

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

oval office raja posted:

oh ok that makes sense

ahem.

I'm a bad ally :(

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oval office raja posted:

PS if you're at all a decent writer and can stand to write schlock, Harlequin will give you money for said schlock

What are the Hot New Trends in Harlequin I should be reading to get a feel for this market? Seriously, I'm interested.

edit: that's a lot of imprints and I'm disappointed Superromance isn't about comic book people.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 15, 2014

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Hadrians Dong posted:

electronic dance music?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Titty Warlord posted:

electronic dance music?

yes

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

oval office raja posted:

the hell is a chiptune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8P1oGF2nnA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFpztcGHAog

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Titty Warlord posted:

electronic dance music?

emily de molly

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

boom boom boom posted:

I was talking about this with a friend earlier, is there such a thing as professional level Women's bicycling? Is there a Ladies Tour De France like a month after the real one?

DWGR is even getting a physical release! That's why I haven't played the Orochis, paying more than like, 20 bucks for an online thing is something I can't bring myself to do

There is professional women's cycling, but it is tiny and absolutely nothing compared to men's (which is not exactly glamorous). Cycling is a pretty sexist sport still, which is a bummer since pro racing is amazing fun to watch and more like the Art of War on bikes than anything with all the scheming and tactics and weird peloton dynamics and unwritten rules.

Women have been trying to get Tour races for a long time, even to have their race right after the men's because then the roads are already closed off and crowds are there so why not? Back in the 70s I think? women cyclists followed the men on a kind of unofficial tour to prove they could do it because people thought they weren't physically capable of it.

There's practically no money in the women's cycling though, little sponsorship, etc but it does exist.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

oval office raja posted:

Booo that sucks

I ate multigrain chips and some spicy cheese concoction my SO made and now my guts are rumbling

rumbleguts

I want to work on one of my creative outlets (blog, REAL writing, or at least the dumb Harlequin novel I'm trying to finish) but I don't have the concentration to do so

PS if you're at all a decent writer and can stand to write schlock, Harlequin will give you money for said schlock

What's the subject of your harlequin novel? Do they give you a prompt or do you get to pick? Have you done it before?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Enfys posted:

There is professional women's cycling, but it is tiny and absolutely nothing compared to men's (which is not exactly glamorous). Cycling is a pretty sexist sport still, which is a bummer since pro racing is amazing fun to watch and more like the Art of War on bikes than anything with all the scheming and tactics and weird peloton dynamics and unwritten rules.

Women have been trying to get Tour races for a long time, even to have their race right after the men's because then the roads are already closed off and crowds are there so why not? Back in the 70s I think? women cyclists followed the men on a kind of unofficial tour to prove they could do it because people thought they weren't physically capable of it.

There's practically no money in the women's cycling though, little sponsorship, etc but it does exist.

Do they have a system where you can sponsor a lady cyclist like you can for african children or whales?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Hadrians Dong posted:

The term "EDM" makes me irrationally angry.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

unlimited shrimp posted:

The term "EDM" makes me irrationally angry.

good. let the anger over the mischaracterization of a subgenre flow through you

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Hadrians Dong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xPywofBSHE

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXqPYte8tvc

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

last i heard of harlequin qualifications they generally want you to throw in a couple of general themes and to not actually describe any sexual acts. lots of smoldering looks, though.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Hadrians Dong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSUW-Z_Cnc0

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Welp I guess the immigration dicks are done reading though our 60 pages of IRC logs because now they just wanna sight and stamp my passport and I'm in for good!

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Sharkie posted:

What are the Hot New Trends in Harlequin I should be reading to get a feel for this market? Seriously, I'm interested.

They're basically trying to piggyback onto all of the current trends in entertainment fiction, also relaunching some other things, like Heartwarming (like if Chicken Soup for The Soul was a bodice-ripper). They have a paranormal subheading, a 'teen' subheading, all sorts of poo poo. I stick with the traditional ones (like Desire) because they're easy to mindlessly pump out.

http://www.harlequin.com/articlepage.html?articleId=538&chapter=0

You honestly don't have to read any Harlequin novels to be able to do this, I've been at it for years, am on my sixth submission (all but one were accepted and published, and the one that wasn't I readily accept was my own fault, it was too long for them, and too complex) and have never read an entire Harlequin novel. When I was 10-11 I would skim for the sexy parts in my great-grandmother's fuckbooks, that is the extent of my Harlequin reading. They've never asked me "What was your favorite Harlequin novel?" or any of that poo poo, either. When your company is pumping out a minimum of 120 new fuckbooks a month, pleasantries go out the window.

Boroughs Publishing Group and Forever Yours are similar in that you write the whole drat thing and submit it directly, but they're published in digital format only. Carina Press is the name of Harlequin's digital-first, other-topics-than-fuckbooks department.

Just write a predictable, semi-cheesy love story, add in some passionate lovemaking, and boom. You're done. It's taken me about two months of dedicated work to hit the word limit, seven months if I'm just half-assedly doing it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Shithouse Dave posted:

Welp I guess the immigration dicks are done reading though our 60 pages of IRC logs because now they just wanna sight and stamp my passport and I'm in for good!

Congratulations! Finally!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

boom boom boom posted:

Do they have a system where you can sponsor a lady cyclist like you can for african children or whales?

For just €4 a month, your lady cyclist will get to ride on real pavement with two wheels. With your donation you will get weekly training reports from your lady cyclist and a free plushie helmet. Please, support a lady cyclist today.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, pretty much!
I was gonna recommend checking out 8bit collective, which hosted a bunch of artists music for free but it turns out their site has been dead for like three years so welp

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shithouse Dave posted:

Woo! as soon as the ink's dry get very sick and injured

oval office raja posted:

They're basically trying to piggyback onto all of the current trends in entertainment fiction, also relaunching some other things, like Heartwarming (like if Chicken Soup for The Soul was a bodice-ripper). They have a paranormal subheading, a 'teen' subheading, all sorts of poo poo. I stick with the traditional ones (like Desire) because they're easy to mindlessly pump out.

You honestly don't have to read any Harlequin novels to be able to do this, I've been at it for years, am on my sixth submission (all but one were accepted and published, and the one that wasn't I readily accept was my own fault, it was too long for them, and too complex) and have never read an entire Harlequin novel. When I was 10-11 I would skim for the sexy parts in my great-grandmother's fuckbooks, that is the extent of my Harlequin reading. They've never asked me "What was your favorite Harlequin novel?" or any of that poo poo, either. When your company is pumping out a minimum of 120 new fuckbooks a month, pleasantries go out the window.

Boroughs Publishing Group and Forever Yours are similar in that you write the whole drat thing and submit it directly, but they're published in digital format only. Carina Press is the name of Harlequin's digital-first, other-topics-than-fuckbooks department.

Just write a predictable, semi-cheesy love story, add in some passionate lovemaking, and boom. You're done. It's taken me about two months of dedicated work to hit the word limit, seven months if I'm just half-assedly doing it.

Is it a flat fee per book?

Enfys posted:

For just €4 a month, your lady cyclist will get to ride on real pavement with two wheels. With your donation you will get weekly training reports from your lady cyclist and a free plushie helmet. Please, support a lady cyclist today.

This is a legitimate good idea. Feminism thread couldn't figure out how to fund ladies sports, we just did

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfw9k5O94w&t=55s

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Schmeichy posted:

What's the subject of your harlequin novel? Do they give you a prompt or do you get to pick? Have you done it before?

Very generic "young lady moves to a big city, is terrified of everything, meets a guy she feels is 'out of her league' and he shows her A WHOOOOLE NEW WOOOOOORLD" this time. I prefer not having to look up terms, like I did with the last one, which involved a city girl moving to a farming area and having to learn poo poo.

No prompts, you just write it and submit it. This is my sixth one, and I know they'll publish it. Fifth that will be published.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

last i heard of harlequin qualifications they generally want you to throw in a couple of general themes and to not actually describe any sexual acts. lots of smoldering looks, though.

They have a very thin line you gotta walk about being too 'graphic.' Some of the subheadings want no sexy stuff beyond a tasteful description of the seduction and makeouts, and then the literary version of the camera panning over to the fireplace, some of the others want the traditional 'describing the passionate lovemaking in the most tasteful way so you can make grandmas and sheltered librarians or w/e blush' light blue-tinted prose.

edit:

boom boom boom posted:

Is it a flat fee per book?

Yup. They will try to give you absolutely nothing if you haven't submitted an accepted manuscript before, the payment I took for my first was about 1/4th the payment I've been offered up front ever since.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

oval office raja posted:

Oh my god. It's something I've half-considered but there's so many of the things I thought I'd have to read tons to pick up the nuances they were looking for and now I realize this is really silly and overthinking it. I just may have a new project -- the "queer cosmic horror" market isn't as booming as one might think. Thanks for pointing this out!

oval office raja posted:

They have a very thin line you gotta walk about being too 'graphic.' Some of the subheadings want no sexy stuff beyond a tasteful description of the seduction and makeouts, and then the literary version of the camera panning over to the fireplace, some of the others want the traditional 'describing the passionate lovemaking in the most tasteful way so you can make grandmas and sheltered librarians or w/e blush' light blue-tinted prose.

Walking this line would prob. be the most difficult part for me, but I'm sure I could do it.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 15, 2014

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Fabulist/oval office raja, have you ever used the word "nubbin" in your books? And is a dong a "manhood" or an "excitement"?

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Fabulist/oval office raja, have you ever used the word "nubbin" in your books? And is a dong a "manhood" or an "excitement"?

an excitement of dongs

a bouquet of labias

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

And so begins Ladythread's descent into the Goon Erotica Authors thread

AriadneThread posted:

Yeah, pretty much!
I was gonna recommend checking out 8bit collective, which hosted a bunch of artists music for free but it turns out their site has been dead for like three years so welp

I misremembered the name. It's 8bitpeoples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

viscous wolves posted:

an excitement of dongs

a bouquet of labias

nature is amazing

• Locked thread