Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Magitek posted:

Anyone know if setting DS3 to Offline mode protects you?
Yes. Even staying Unembered protects, just don't play with others (invasions and/or coop).

edit: https://twitch.tv/videos/1271478221?t=4804s
timestamped video, wait a minute for the exploit to show up

giZm fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How long? That’s 1h22m video 🤭

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

How long? That’s 1h22m video 🤭
I linked it with timestamp because I'm awesome like that. Because I care, Vintersorg.

giZm fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 22, 2022

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow that streamer sure is playing with some obnoxious people

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GU6021NJnA

please don't rely on black serpent, it's not very good

this is about using black serpent as a damage tool when it can instead be used as a pressure tool to restrict movement and land unlocked spells

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CYBEReris posted:

this is about using black serpent as a damage tool when it can instead be used as a pressure tool to restrict movement and land unlocked spells
it doesn't do that either when all it takes to avoid the spell is casually strafing. you're not applying any pressure because the opponent(if they know how the spell works) isn't using any stamina or committing to any action-and if you throw any unlocked spell, they're just as capable of dodging it as if you hadn't used black flame, because they're just walking. so you're not going to catch them in roll recovery or anything like that.

against someone who knows what's up, throwing out black serpent in neutral at best is wasting time/FP, at worst opening yourself up to getting poked by crossbow/throwing knife or counterattack from some fast weapons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DsrCwIsAWSM

it can be useful after a knockdown but that's a different context

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is that vulnerability only for PC version? :ohdear:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
What’s the exploit? All I see in that stream is some dude spending more time messing with menus and switching gear then fighting

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the exploit was detailed on the last page:
https://twitter.com/SkeleMann/status/1484802129302798336
in short it can be used to do absolutely anything on your computer, which you should probably understand is Not Good

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

it doesn't do that either when all it takes to avoid the spell is casually strafing. you're not applying any pressure because the opponent(if they know how the spell works) isn't using any stamina or committing to any action-and if you throw any unlocked spell, they're just as capable of dodging it as if you hadn't used black flame, because they're just walking. so you're not going to catch them in roll recovery or anything like that.

against someone who knows what's up, throwing out black serpent in neutral at best is wasting time/FP, at worst opening yourself up to getting poked by crossbow/throwing knife or counterattack from some fast weapons

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DsrCwIsAWSM

it can be useful after a knockdown but that's a different context

Most players are dumb and when "thing bad" is marching towards them their first instinct is to panic-mash their dodge button. Experienced players know better, but DS3 has a lot of morons playing it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Huh. I wonder if it's the same remote code execution exploit that's been known for awhile, or if it's a new one.

I guess now Bandai Namco's going to do something about it since it's getting more visibility.

EDIT: Oh, a new one? How fun.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Tallgeese posted:

EDIT: Oh, a new one? How fun.
New and very likely to be in DS1R, DS3, and ER since they all use the same netcode. Yay!

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Excuse me while I once again laugh in B(est)-Team.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tallgeese posted:

Excuse me while I once again laugh in B(est)-Team.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Amppelix posted:

the exploit was detailed on the last page:
https://twitter.com/SkeleMann/status/1484802129302798336
in short it can be used to do absolutely anything on your computer, which you should probably understand is Not Good

god drat

Switching my play through to offline it seems

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Horace Kinch posted:

Most players are dumb and when "thing bad" is marching towards them their first instinct is to panic-mash their dodge button. Experienced players know better, but DS3 has a lot of morons playing it.
yes, but if you're asking "what is good" or "how can I play well", my answer would never be to use/do stuff that only works against bad players

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/SkeleMann/status/1485003185542635521

Exploit fixed with newest Blue Sentinels version

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

BS guy works fast

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
in before "ugh, noobs can't handle a little hacking so From Soft has to nerf again"

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
ugh, noobs can't handle a little hacking so From Soft has to nerf again

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

less hacking more slashing

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
So doing the DLCs as a pyro now. Friede was easy (she gets staggered at all times, so the window to smack her with a vestige is... large), Gravetender was surprisingly obnoxious (unlike other bosses, he does perfect dodges unless you mess with him first), and Demon Prince right now is just soaking up too much damage. The Demons go down easy, but the Prince's resistances are too high for even 8 Ashtus to chew him up. As an added problem, the high resistances mean I'm not getting staggers and viscerals either (get them on the 2 baby demons, but not here).

Will go back and kill him later tonight or tomorrow, either with Dorhys' Gnawing or hard swap to Knight's Ring + Onyx Blade.

Even bent my own rules a bit and summoned "Lapp", but that didn't help much. He doesn't do any damage, boosts their HP a bit (making the Ashtus problem worse) and generally makes my efficiency worse. The main benefit is that he can aggro the Prince himself and that is potentially helpful. However, even on solo runs I can run dry on FP before the Prince is even at 50%, and with a summon that only gets worse.

Anyway, it should be solvable. Midir will also be interesting and may just need Onyx blade for a bit.

Edit: Said Twin Princes at first, and those are pretty low HP. Not a problem at all.

Edit 2: I'm obviously not crazy and using actual fire, rather I'm using black flame/orb. Maybe Boulder Heave works too? :o

Idiot Doom Spiral fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 23, 2022

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020
Nobody should care, but: Finally killed Demon Prince with the pyro. To be fair, it was kinda lies - I did it with Dorhys, after giving running 9 Asthus + Hidden Blessing a try and still not finding enough Dark damage output.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Nobody should care, but: Finally killed Demon Prince with the pyro. To be fair, it was kinda lies - I did it with Dorhys, after giving running 9 Asthus + Hidden Blessing a try and still not finding enough Dark damage output.

Congrats but also ouch. Demon Prince is such a slog against anything but pure physical.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Just started playing this game a few days ago, is good game. How often does the DLC go on sale on PSN?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

e; doublepost:confused:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

during the usual suspects, holidays, etc.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr.acula posted:

Just started playing this game a few days ago, is good game. How often does the DLC go on sale on PSN?

You should not play

The true experience is getting invaded and your bank accounts drained

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the servers aren't offline on the consoles

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I admit to feeling slightly disappointed we didn't get at least one "someone invaded me and turned my computer into a locked bitcoin mining rig" story before FROM shut down the PC servers

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

dr.acula posted:

I picked my playstation version up from GameStop for 12 bux, with all the DLCs. Worth a try.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

What are good melee pyro weapons besides the Astora GS and Onyx Blade? My target is to make a Chaos Astora GS, get an early Onyx Blade but was thinking on having more options (for fun) like a reaper (dark/chaos) and a fast small weapon. PvE of course, I don't plan on doing PVP at all. Lightning Dragonslayer Axe?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i liked using a dark infused follower sabre on my pyro

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If I consider myself a "pyromancer" then my mainstats are going to be, vigor, attunement, and int/faith. This restricts how much investment I want to put into endurance, vitality, and strength/dex.

The best supplementary pyro weapons are going to be cheap on weight, stamina consumption, and strength/dex requirements. Hence the humble longsword. I don't like using ultra-weapons with hyperarmor, you can't afford alot of poise.

If you want something flashier, consider the demon's scar. Curved swords are just a top tier weapon class, but they're more pvp-focused.

Finally, consider Lothric War Banner, whose weapon art can buff your spells as well.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big weapons can be good for some crowd control but for most bossfights a fast straight sword is good enough.

I made a pyro back in launch/DLC1 days so I missed some infusion buffs but I see the great scythe being much better as dark than chaos, also Halberd/Red Hilted disparity on infusions (fextralife data that could be wrong).

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
To this day my favorite pyro weapon has been the humble prong, tool of workers, de-throner of kings

Also to black serpent: I've found it very useful as a distraction. Cast it and immediately switch to offense and press with your main hand weapon. This has the upside of messing with people who now have to focus on several things at once. Many times I've gooten easy hits in when people either ignore me or the spell and then get stun-locked. Unlike CBV, the spell is hard to predict and you are not really trying to hit your opponent, you are trying to throw them off-guard so they start doing mistakes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

dancer's enchanted swords are a fun choice.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I read about the ds3 vulnerabilty, but I'm still confused how it can "brick" your pc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Moola posted:

I read about the ds3 vulnerabilty, but I'm still confused how it can "brick" your pc?
someone else connected to you can do whatever the gently caress they want to your computer if they know how

hence the servers being taken down, because that's potentially extremely bad