Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies
so what are some reccomendations on reading up on theory. i've got a reading list with a bunch of books and bookmarks on it already, but what does everone suggest? specific resources or topics to know or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Toady posted:

For personal reasons, I do not browse the web from my computer. (I also have no net connection much of the time.) To look at page I send mail to a daemon which runs wget and mails the page back to me. It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time.

i wrote it back before phones had decent browsers

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Deacon of Delicious posted:

so what are some reccomendations on reading up on theory. i've got a reading list with a bunch of books and bookmarks on it already, but what does everone suggest? specific resources or topics to know or whatever

algorithms in c by bobbie sedgewick

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Tiny Bug Child posted:

failing to change yourself, feeling lovely about it, and seeking reassurance from peers that you're doing nothing wrong is WAY easier than actually changing

it's okay, you're not doing anything wrong, everyone has accidents sometimes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

I have free will to do what I want but I choose to oscillate.

Lysidas posted:

bioinfomratics is p cool, and don't worry about programming ability

half the people in the field can't program for poo poo and produce horrible code that just barely works

(i'm in that half)

ya i'm pretty sure i code like poo poo even though i'd say people who can code good are in the minority
having non shitcoder people mentor me helps a lot

never implemented finite automata except in lovely recursive-descent parser and that looks like good practice

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

graph theory

do a lot of the graph theory exercies/problems in the clrs algorithms book

edit: thank you rotor :tipshat:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Cold on a Cob posted:

also not everybody is super passionate about software development so don't compare yourself to $FAMOUS_DEVELOPER, just try to grow as a developer on your own, against your own standards :shobon:

the only people who are "super passionate" about the process itself are spolsky and atwood

e: i made myself sad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

the only people who are "super passionate" about the process itself are spolsky and atwood

e: i made myself sad

cheer up, there's also tef

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

hurp college textbook

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
beautiful code and beautiful data were two helpful books once i was kind of treading water

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

is this like a good book you can actually read or is it like a textbook b/c i know very little about graph theory and it's p important from what i hear

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Tiny Bug Child posted:

is this like a good book you can actually read or is it like a textbook b/c i know very little about graph theory and it's p important from what i hear

its a good book and you can actually read it but it's not like reading a loving harelequin romance, you have to loving read all the words ok

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

ugh, is this hard topic going to be hard? i was hoping this hard thing would be super easy.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
ugh, this is like, math

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

i'll skim it and get the gist. that's what i did for those books on security

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
i like networkx

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Tiny Bug Child posted:

i'll skim it and get the gist. that's what i did for those books on security

of all the things to skim i think a book on security is probably one of the worst

(or is that the joke)

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

away from the yos a couple hours, and i come back to see a hundred new posts about javascript

Milkie Galore posted:

ok summary so far:
- do not learn any more loving javascript web frameworks
- do not rewrite anything you have made already
- do not beg people to let you do lovely work you can already do

ok so what should you do then???

-----------------------------

you shouldnt be choosing projects based on your current skills. "what can i do with node.js" isnt going to get you anywhere. find things that interest you in other domains and use your arsenal of computing knowledge to approach them. the chances are that someone's done something similar already which you can read about or play with!

this. don't use javascript unless it's 100% required by what you're doing, learn asp.net if you want a billion jobs to choose from. you're a smart guy with regards to this stuff and i'm sure you could probably learn a lot of it in like a week if you can buckle down. VS helps do a ton of the work for you, and c# is a good language and really straightforward. do ios if you want to have more fun and not have to deal with windows. i know you've done stuff with that before and it's way more useful than javascript will ever be because you will be much more challenged on the whole.

basically gently caress javascript :tipshat:

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

gucci void main posted:

don't use javascript unless it's 100% required by what you're doing, learn asp.net if you want a billion jobs to choose from.

jfc do not take career advice from sulk

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Tiny Bug Child posted:

jfc do not take career advice from sulk

if i said to learn php you'd be lauding me

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Since poo poo programmers are asking yos for advice... do any of you have a good memo board solution?

I am looking for something visual to keep track of my lovely ideas so I don't forget how horrible they are.

I figure the two schools of thought are cork and magnetic dry erase and maybe a 3rd sperg goon option.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

syntaxrigger posted:

Since poo poo programmers are asking yos for advice... do any of you have a good memo board solution?

I am looking for something visual to keep track of my lovely ideas so I don't forget how horrible they are.

I figure the two schools of thought are cork and magnetic dry erase and maybe a 3rd sperg goon option.

magnetic dry erase gets the job done.
cork is a pain in the rear end when you just want to up and put ideas down but good for poo poo you put down while away from the dry erase i guess

i never really leave my room so 2 dry erase boards are enough

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
actually did something today, tho its teeny: https://github.com/thomasboyt/SMSBot

but hey it's a start, just needed to put code on editor

dry erase boards own btw

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you dont have dry erase boards in your home i question your commitment to your craft.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
buy the biggest dry erase board you can fit on the biggest wall in your house

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

wallboards are cool and all

but i'm thinking of getting one that i can carry around

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

cheer up, there's also tef

i'm not passionate, i'm caremad

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

gucci void main posted:

I am a terrible programmer, one day maybe i'll be a gimmick

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

tef tell me about the white boards of your homeworld

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

holy loving poo poo even rufo is effort posting.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Sneaking Mission posted:

tef tell me about the white boards of your homeworld

oh we just used window panes and markers.

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

i got in trouble a lot for writing on everything in the lab back in 2nd year

turns out it is hard to get dry marker off a crt

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

abraham linksys posted:

actually did something today, tho its teeny: https://github.com/thomasboyt/SMSBot

but hey it's a start, just needed to put code on editor

dry erase boards own btw

btw you've basically used up your yospos good advice quota.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

i'm not passionate, i'm caremad

a distinction without a difference

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

tef posted:

holy loving poo poo even rufo is effort posting.

dear musicians lounge, long time reader first time writer, ive been playing "chopsticks" on piano for 4 years now, am i best trying it on a hammond organ or harpsichord next, cheers

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
hello, me again, i couldnt think of any other songs and i dont find the footpedals on a church organ very interesting so im learning this new thing called a "bontempi" instead, its cool cos you can only depress one note at once, thanks for nothing shitlords

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

have you tried mastering the triangle

e: nvm, coding isn't like mastering the triangle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the first thing i requisitioned when i got my code job was a big fuckin' whiteboard and all the color markers

then i jacked a 200-count box of t-pins and posted poo poo up errywhere

i still have to get cubeplants though :( maybe i'll see if i can root a rosemary branch and bring it up there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird Priest
Jun 22, 2009

just decorate your cube with months of legit accumulated filth, that seems to be what everyone else does