Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That doesn't make the idea that it's somehow okay or understandable for black people to hate Jews any less insane.
Japanese-Americans got reparations for being put into internment camps by the US government during WW2. Is it okay to hate them? What part of this is not bonkers to you?

edit: just saw muscles' post at the bottom of the previous page. So I guess don't answer? Or do? Or PM? Whatever.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Are Irish still incapable of racism? At what point were Irish accepted into the power structure enough that, suddenly, they were capable of racism? Did they become retroactively capable of racism?

Edit: Cutting out the racism talk

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I'm trying to figure out if the dog fell in love with Man-Gumby because it smelled familiar or because it looked familiar, and if this is actually just about a dog being a racist and moving into another school district because this show doesn't seem to celebrate absurdity in the same way it used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8KW8052GPI

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I really hope John takes some time to talk about the Blacks For Trump people, and how the dude with the Blacks for Trump sign is a guy named "Michael the Black Man", who formerly was part of a serial killing black supremacist cult in Florida, which murdered 14 people and who worshipped a guy named god son of god (yahweh ben yahweh), and yhwh required that his followers kill a white man to be elevated in his ranks.

The interviews with Michael the Black Man are truly phenomenal as well, if you go toward the second half of this clip, they start talking ab out Michael the Black Man at about 7 minutes. http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/unwitting-trump-embraces-support-of-cultists-799672387550 The clip starting at 9:45 is absolutely :psyduck:

gods2.com is pretty rad, too http://micahielnicholson.wixsite.com/everlastingfather2

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 3, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Haha, so I'm not the only one that was watching Rachel Maddow last night. That guy is loving insane, I'm pretty sure I've heard a word salad similar to that Infowars clip a few times from homeless people in Baltimore.

You're forgetting the proof of death in the white man murder requirement though - they had to bring back a severed head, or if that wasn't possible, a severed ear.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

You see as long as you can just make jokes about monkeys and gorillas it's cool, but when someone black gets offended about your "it's so easy a monkey could do it," comment taken in or out of context, it's their fault that they heard your words as something other than you meant.. :downsrim:

Oh no.... Why did I not realise until now how that could be interpreted. Is that really where the origins of the phrase come from?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

raditts posted:

Haha, so I'm not the only one that was watching Rachel Maddow last night. That guy is loving insane, I'm pretty sure I've heard a word salad similar to that Infowars clip a few times from homeless people in Baltimore.

You're forgetting the proof of death in the white man murder requirement though - they had to bring back a severed head, or if that wasn't possible, a severed ear.

I wonder how many of them just paid off a guy at the Morgue for John Doe parts.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wonder how many of them just paid off a guy at the Morgue for John Doe parts.

At least 14 of them did not.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Looten Plunder posted:

Oh no.... Why did I not realise until now how that could be interpreted. Is that really where the origins of the phrase come from?
Either it's the real origin or black people will hear it as such, it makes no difference.

Now, imagine how exhausting it would be to have to wonder about the meaning and hidden context of random comments by white people, and whether they're aware of what they're saying, or if they're meaning to say what you heard or thought you heard... All day, every day, in every interaction. It must almost be as exhausting and frustrating as it is to be politically correct as a white person when you're around minorities!

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 5, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Randandal posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the dog fell in love with Man-Gumby because it smelled familiar or because it looked familiar, and if this is actually just about a dog being a racist and moving into another school district because this show doesn't seem to celebrate absurdity in the same way it used to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8KW8052GPI

Not sure, but it clearly doesn't work in all cases

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just got done voting and the turnout seemed to be insane. A lot of people realize what is at stake.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

Hah! That was almost worth going to facebook over.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh, so we have John Oliver to blame for Trump.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh, so we have John Oliver to blame for Trump.

To be fair, he didn't beg Trump to run (because of the comedy gold that would be mind from such an effort) any more or harder than any other comedians did. In fact, I'd wager that Jon Stewart was a bigger culprit, if not the biggest.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The words "careful what you wish for" come to mind. Though I will admit I spent quite a bit of time the last few weeks Googling "Trump news" and reading the results because for a while it was fun to watch the car crash in motion. After the e-mail scandal it got boring though, because prior to that almost every Google brought up some new results and stories, even if it was only a hiatus of a few minutes between searches. After it though almost every story was about the emails or how close the race now was, which isn't nearly as entertaining.

Still, thank God it'll all be over in a few days, for better or worse.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Let's put it this way: if TRUMP wins, I'm buying a gun

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I was in college when Vemma was tearing its way through every social circle on campus. They would have weird recruiting gatherings every other day where they'd all drink each other's kool aid, scream YPR! YPR! the entire time (young people revolution) and then throw huge ragers where everyone's chasing their shots with disgusting Verve! energy drinks because everyone had cases of them stacked in their room.

MLM's prey on people by selling a lifestyle, a lifestyle that you can achieve by throwing away your 9 to 5, becoming a distributor and throwing yourself full force behind getting everyone you know to see the light too.

I mean this is the life you can live every day if you join the YPR, man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwixK3kXIyA
(actual recruiting video a friend in Vemma showed me)

These recruiting tactics have almost nothing to do with actually selling a product... The pitch is usually "Within six months of membership you'll get your BMW and within a year you could be making six figures" without mentioning that the BMW has VEMMA VERVE! painted on the side of it and if you fall behind in reaching your quota AT ALL you take over responsibility on making payments. The selling of product is secondary to everything.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

coyo7e posted:

Let's put it this way: if TRUMP wins, I'm buying a gun
I suspect even more people will panic buy guns if he doesn't.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I work on a college campus, and I'm familiar with Vector Marketing's horseshit.

And it really pisses me of, because they target both immigrant groups (I notice they like recruiting Asians in particular), and students/graduates desperate for any job or income.

gently caress all these guys. I wish John Oliver went after Cutco as well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Amway was the worst culprit when I had friends buying into the MLM bullshit (30 years ago). I had a buddy that basically spent all his paycheck garage qualifying and ended up with his family on food stamps.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Echo Chamber posted:

And it really pisses me of, because they target both immigrant groups (I notice they like recruiting Asians in particular), and students/graduates desperate for any job or income.

Well maybe it's because one of the greatest Pyramid scheme salespeople ever was Tom Vu https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K853GykeGH0

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

God Hole posted:

I was in college when Vemma was tearing its way through every social circle on campus. They would have weird recruiting gatherings every other day where they'd all drink each other's kool aid, scream YPR! YPR! the entire time (young people revolution) and then throw huge ragers where everyone's chasing their shots with disgusting Verve! energy drinks because everyone had cases of them stacked in their room.

MLM's prey on people by selling a lifestyle, a lifestyle that you can achieve by throwing away your 9 to 5, becoming a distributor and throwing yourself full force behind getting everyone you know to see the light too.

I mean this is the life you can live every day if you join the YPR, man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwixK3kXIyA
(actual recruiting video a friend in Vemma showed me)

These recruiting tactics have almost nothing to do with actually selling a product... The pitch is usually "Within six months of membership you'll get your BMW and within a year you could be making six figures" without mentioning that the BMW has VEMMA VERVE! painted on the side of it and if you fall behind in reaching your quota AT ALL you take over responsibility on making payments. The selling of product is secondary to everything.

Cutco was the big thing when I was in college. People would just go into lecture halls and write vague poo poo like *** WINTER BREAK WORK! $18 / hour! CALL ######## ***
And when you called the number they still wouldn't tell you what the gently caress it was about until you attended a "group interview" where they told you they wanted you to loving sell knives door to door.

Echo Chamber posted:

Ah, so they're still alive and festering I see. I remember in the "group interview" there were at least a couple people who could barely speak English that somehow "passed" the interview. That was the first of many red flags in the couple of weeks I wasted my time with that poo poo. I managed to end up making a couple hundred dollars' profit just by going to do presentations in my neighborhood, but then they told me they wouldn't pay me for the presentations anymore if I didn't sell anything so I told them to gently caress themselves.

CrashCat posted:

I suspect even more people will panic buy guns if he doesn't.

"Will"?

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 7, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

raditts posted:

Cutco was the big thing when I was in college. People would just go into lecture halls and write vague poo poo like *** WINTER BREAK WORK! $18 / hour! CALL ######## ***
And when you called the number they still wouldn't tell you what the gently caress it was about until you attended a "group interview" where they told you they wanted you to loving sell knives door to door.

Not to mention unpaid training days required to sell them.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

lifts cats over head posted:

Not to mention unpaid training days required to sell them.

Haha, you quoted before I edited to add more bullshit to that part, but yeah, that was another red flag. I remember how incredulous my parents were when I told them how they tried to demand you attend these mandatory "business meetings" that you didn't get paid for.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

raditts posted:

Haha, you quoted before I edited to add more bullshit to that part, but yeah, that was another red flag. I remember how incredulous my parents were when I told them how they tried to demand you attend these mandatory "business meetings" that you didn't get paid for.

Haha, I went through pretty much the exact same thing. Before I went my dad told me "they'll probably have you scamming people with knives or some poo poo" and sure enough he was right.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder how much of John looking older is actual time and how much is by design to make him look more authoritative.

Pyramid schemes are everywhere. I just try to keep to a policy of never paying money to someone for a job, since that's not how employment works. It's a shame to hear the FTC is so gutless about it, but not surprising.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I liked this last episode, but really, it was nothing new. I've heard all of this before. As subjects for episodes of this show go, MLMs are fairly low-hanging fruit: they're clearly very bad and evil, and revealing how bad they are isn't likely to be controversial.

But still, it's one of those things that bears repeating, because people fall for this all the time.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Man I remember this poo poo. Back when I was broke as gently caress and needed a job in college, I ended up working for Cutco and this other group called Smart Circle. Cutco honestly wasn't the absolute worst thing on earth because the knives are actually decent but they were ultra expensive.

Smart Circle however was straight up bullshit. I was hired as a sales rep or something but it basically involved going to BJs and attempt to pull shoppers away from their shopping to get them to answer a survey and try to get them to sign up for a home improvement estimate. During the housing market crash and recession. It was insanely cultish, every morning people shouted the word 'juice' to hype each other up to make these impossible sales metrics or gently caress make a sell at all. I remember getting paid minimum wage for 8 hours and working 12, and then having my one sale commission taken away because the person I got to set up an appointment cancelled. I remember the 'leader' of the office was super mad that when I quit I loudly blurted out to the next eight prospective employees how great it was to make seven bucks an hour. The dude chased me to my car screaming. It was definitely one of the most insane experiences of my life but when you're broke and desperate, you'll take whatever as a job.

Also hugely depressing Madeline Albright would represent any of this poo poo. I mean I know why politicians are so comfy with these groups but it's just ridiculous. They shouldn't be.

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 7, 2016

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

tarlibone posted:

people fall for this all the time.

It makes me sad when I see so many resumes with unexplained "self-employed" claims that are inevitably related to MLM schemes.

Claiming involvement in an MLM as being "self-employed" is like claiming "experience in the criminal justice system" because you had to report your house being broken into to the police.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

Nowdays there's "collegepainting.com" or something like that, you call a 1800 number looking for a summer job painting poo poo as a student, and end up spending most of the time going door to day in the hot sun trying to set up appointments.

My personal favorite are the church-based halfway house/youth hostel places where they make everybody attend sunday services, and also go around passing out flyers - when they're not forced to help in car washes and poo poo everyday, to the point they actually don't have time to go look for a real job.. And since a lot of those guys are parolees they are basically indentured servants who can be thrown back in jail if the pastor who runs the whole loving scam gets annoyed with them.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

As a Cubs fan and long-time Daily Show watcher I distinctly remembered that Cubs reference and wondered if anyone else did the same. I'm kind of glad John brought it up again for obvious reasons. :unsmith:

Here's the whole clip for anyone interested: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/260mio/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-the-stupid-vote

I have no opinions on Trump or MLM because any sane person knows both of those things are bullshit.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i have two friends who were in the same MLM. I interviewed there @ 18 and got up and left when I was being double interviewed for a position that would've paid $15 a day or something for cold calls and was otherwise flat comission on knife sales.

One friend made a loving killing and he's not terribly charismatic nor like, a scumbag salesman, but the other one lost his rear end because if you demo (you need to demo), those knives are out of pocket.

Admittedly i don't think vector is (or was back then anyway) on the same scam-level as mary kay and that other garbage.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I got into selling Cutco about 5 years ago because all I had to do was sell knives. That is it, and that is all I did. I never attended any "training sessions" or went to any of those stupid conventions because I knew right away that that would just be a money sink. All I did was call people I knew, asked if they would listen to me babble about knives for an hour. 5 years later I have yet to hear anyone I sold knives to complain about them and the only people I tried to "recruit" were 3 friends that were in a similar situation as me, unemployed and willing to try anything.

Honestly I must've just had a pushover manager since I never got in trouble for skipping training sessions or trying to recruit more people, I just sold stuff and dropped off paperwork every week. I guess I never considered what I was doing MLM because the way I approached it I was just doing another sales job except it didn't have hourly pay. That and after watching this video on MLM I just realised that I did my best to avoid all of those aspects, heck the only money I sank into it was the initial couple hundred we had to pay to buy our "demo knives". However I still agree that it is a scam and every time I see a Vector Marketing flyer or poster on a job board I just go "ugh, gently caress"

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I can think of a few uses for pyramid scheme knives...

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
My most recent ex got involved with Nu Skin a few weeks after we broke up, but since we ended things amicably I got to hear about it from her. When she first started telling me about it I'd never heard of them but within fifteen minutes of her talking about it I knew it was an MLM and told her I needed to go do something and I'd call her back in an hour.

I spent that hour finding a billion different sources and logic loopholes that MLM's argue under (was a E/N thread too) and called her back and let her know about all of it. She went through every predictable response all the stories said she would, I kept it as non-confrontational as I could too, but it was the last time I talked to her until about a month ago (about a year after breakup) when I saw her on the street and I eventually asked her if she'd avoided getting involved with that company and her exact response was "I'm not going to let you stop me, I'm on my way to success". It was so loving Jim Jones I just walked away. Holy poo poo.

The single biggest thing MLMs have going for them, and John mentioned but didn't (should've) focused on is that MLMs get to operate as shady as they want and if you call them a scam you get sued. He mentioned the FTC investigation that deliberately avoided calling them a pyramid scam. The damned US government invested years into a case of one of them and was still too afraid to just straight up call them what they are. The whole time I was finding info on Nu Skin for her I should've just been able to find a reputable news source saying "This poo poo Is A Pyramid Scheme" but I couldn't, and that's probably the only thing that would've stopped her was seeing a CNN article going "This is a pyramid scheme".

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I had two friends who were hardcore into Herbalife (neither made any money but they went to a few of those big conference/rally things in Atlanta). One guy's mom got them both on the hook for it which is pretty scummy, and they would send mass emails to their friends asking them if they were "happy being fat with no energy". Everyone else saw it for what it was, but they probably lost close to 10K on this mess.

e: This was his email to me after I brought up the many links to fraud/scammery that come up when you search for Herbalife. A lot of it is word-for-word from some of the claims in Oliver's piece

quote:

These are just subjective views of the company. I know about the senate hearing and we won in the end. Our company is still alive and if it was unsafe I'm sure the FDA would have made a mroe concertd effort to close us down.

The people who said they got rippied off probably weren't successful minded people to begin with. Yeah well something in their approach wasn't working and apparently their upline mentors weren't doing a very god job of helping them find out what that was and how to rise to that challenge. All they did that article was gripe about their lives, I don't have time for that poo poo, not where I'm going.

Listen man, I know these products work because I have had my results, and i see the people in this company here for years, a decade and more and they look better than any old people I know. And as for the business aspect of it, I know that works too, cause down in atlanta I chilled with Q's Aunt and Uncle who are president's team the company earning about $12 000/mth, and his Mom who earns around $9000/mth, (and his mom is above is aunt and uncle by the way). I saw people get bonus checks of $87 000+, I actually met these people and saw their cheques.

This company would not be growing at the pace it is, and turning over $2 billion in business last year neter would it have lasted 25 years if it was a sham. And I seriously don't think the former CEO of Walt Disney- Micheal O. Johnson- would have come to our company. if it was not a sound company. Yeah so some people don't have what it takes to be successful in this business, and tey cop out, they don't really want to understand what it takes to be successful in any business. But I'm not begging anyone to come along. I've seen this poo poo for myself, and I believe in it, I'm going somewhere with this, because I am doing something with it.

Oh and by the way, I think I mentioned this to you before but if you think this is a pyramidtake a look at your own job and see if you'll ever be making more than your boss.... i don't think so man. But as I say, I'm not beggin people, I'm just letting them know it's out there if they want it. We'll see where we both get to in 5 years. I'm happy with my life now, and I'm hapy with Herbalife, I hope you are with yours as well.

Afro
May 29, 2007

Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I can think of a few uses for pyramid scheme knives...

Yeah like murdering pyramid schemers

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Afro posted:

Yeah like murdering pyramid schemers

Really? Because that's way better than what I came up with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Herbalife has got to be one of the worst, because on top of the pyramid scheme nonsense, it's all for some bullshit herbal supplements, and you have all this homeopathic pseudoscience junk to deal with. At least for some other pyramid schemes there's an actual product with some kind of intrinsic value you're getting saddled with.

There's not even a guarantee that the products contain whatever garbage herbs they claim are in there. Dietary supplements are totally unregulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about MLMs is that it doesn't really matter whether or not the product itself is actually any good, because it will ALWAYS be overpriced. It's inherent to the system. If you've got the guy at the top paying to actually have the stuff manufactured, then selling them to the people below him at slightly above cost, then they sell to the people below THEM at slightly more than what they paid... well, for a normal product, the next stage is usually where the consumer enters the picture (manufacturer sells to a distributor who sells to a retail outlet). For a MLM scheme there's still more layers of "distributors", each selling to the tier below them at a markup, so by the time the product is actually sold to a consumer (if it ever is), it's been marked up like six times from all the sales people taking their cut. You will always be able to find products of comparable quality for less money than one sold by a MLM, because their distribution scheme is so inefficient and they pass those costs on to the consumer.

• Locked thread