Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gorilla Salad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCATBVDGgY

Robotech was the hot poo poo when I was a kid. It was crazy to start a Saturday morning going from lame old stuff like Wacky Races to Robotech and then back to some other tame US cartoon.

Holy poo poo, this scene. I watched Robotech for some time, decades ago when I was a child, and this is literally the only scene I remember. Never thought I'd ever see it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

This extends from TV and movies but I really can't stand how defense attorneys seem to mostly be depicted as evil, greedy scumbags with no morals who gleefully cheer when they let murderers go free. I know that most cop/court shows are from the perspective of the police/prosecutors but it really pisses me off how we now have this cultural idea that defense attorneys are soulless creatures who don't care about victims.

This is REALLY bad in Law and Order SVU when literally every single defense attorney is portrayed as cartoonishly evil.

Well SVU is the one where every case is sex crimes.

You probably don't want to make the rapist's side sympathetic on network TV.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

Well SVU is the one where every case is sex crimes.

You probably don't want to make the rapist's side sympathetic on network TV.

But lots of times they arrest innocent people first, and even then the defense attorneys are seen as scum-sucking vermin.

Is Saul Goodman the only sleazy defense lawyer that isn't a totally bad person?

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Danger Mahoney posted:

Speaking of irrationally irritating, that spoilered scene you're talking about was preceded by Peter dramatically telling Roman to cook a crazy amount of bacon for the fat. Peter was going to use that bacon fat as the way to make that spoilered scene happen. Roman, like a good friend, fried up pounds and pounds of bacon eventually coming up with like four gallon-size mason jars full of the stuff. There is a whole bacon-frying montage scene. When those jars are delivered to Peter he only uses a small handful. About a tenth of one jar.

Oh, yay. Finally I can sperg about this loving scene. First of all, yes, he only uses a loving handful. Secondly, I'm no werewolf expert but I'm fairly sure that you don't need bacon grease for them to bite you. That is what werewolves loving do, they loving BITE YOU, INCLUDING PARTS YOU MAKE AVAILABLE FOR BITING WITH NO OH, HUM, MAYBE I SHOULD WAIT FOR A TASTIER BIT TO GET SHOVED IN MY FACE. poo poo, even aggressive domesticated dogs would happily bite parts of your body that you shove at them with no hesitation.

Basically I have no explanation for the bacon grease except that it was busy work for Roman. Maybe the ritual needed an offering? Peter needed to show he was serious about this poo poo by smearing bacon grease on himself? I have no idea except it was dumb and if there was another reason than "Roman do the thing", it wasn't clarified.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I skimmed that post with the spoilered scene and just assumed that homo vamp was going to have gay sex with his werewolf friend with bacon grease because gently caress if I know.

I haven't watched the show, and pretty much don't plan to, but seriously someone tried to get bitten by lubing up with bacon grease? That's loving retarded. I mean, wanting to become a werewolf after seeing how incredibly painful it is to literally change is already dumb, but the bacon idea just loving lobs it fully over the top. Is this a comedy show?

Anyway, the gold standard for werewolf transformations will always be An American Werewolf in London, for me anyway.

Andohz
Aug 15, 2004

World's Strongest Smelly Hobo

empty sea posted:

Oh, yay. Finally I can sperg about this loving scene. First of all, yes, he only uses a loving handful. Secondly, I'm no werewolf expert but I'm fairly sure that you don't need bacon grease for them to bite you. That is what werewolves loving do, they loving BITE YOU, INCLUDING PARTS YOU MAKE AVAILABLE FOR BITING WITH NO OH, HUM, MAYBE I SHOULD WAIT FOR A TASTIER BIT TO GET SHOVED IN MY FACE. poo poo, even aggressive domesticated dogs would happily bite parts of your body that you shove at them with no hesitation.

Basically I have no explanation for the bacon grease except that it was busy work for Roman. Maybe the ritual needed an offering? Peter needed to show he was serious about this poo poo by smearing bacon grease on himself? I have no idea except it was dumb and if there was another reason than "Roman do the thing", it wasn't clarified.

I remember Peter saying something about "the price" being his "human face" after the whole cat debacle. (It's such a stupid show but I love it)

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Cowslips Warren posted:

But lots of times they arrest innocent people first, and even then the defense attorneys are seen as scum-sucking vermin.

How soon we forget a national treasure, straight from the early 2000's…

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyway, the gold standard for werewolf transformations will always be An American Werewolf in London, for me anyway.

It's great, but The Company of Wolves may top it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wouldn't hold up Saul Goodman as the example of a good person :cheeky:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jimmy McGill is though.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

empty sea posted:

I don't think any scene in the show to date has been clarified. The whole show is one stupid, nonsensical jaunt from one gory scene to another. The premise, business-wise, is "give Eli Roth 45 million dollars per season and eight bucks an hour to the writing team".

The wife made me watch the show with her, and lord help me I love it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Android Bicyclist posted:

How soon we forget a national treasure, straight from the early 2000's…

Between this, Party of Five, and Dark Angel and it's honestly impressive how much of Fox's late 90s/early 00s lineup has fallen straight off of the pop culture cliff.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Between this, Party of Five, and Dark Angel and it's honestly impressive how much of Fox's late 90s/early 00s lineup has fallen straight off of the pop culture cliff.

But not Family Guy!

Eh? eh?

Futurama was good though.

I was watching tv the other night and apparently SA front page fodder Golan the Insatiable has been renewed from Animation Domination HD *sigh* to Sunday Funday.

So good on them. That'll probably last. Lucas bros. are cool too.

Sunday Funday

be there

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I hope Golan takes off, because that would mean steady work for SA forums superstar Crosshatch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Android Bicyclist posted:

I hope Golan takes off, because that would mean steady work for SA forums superstar Crosshatch.

Considering what Fox did to futurama and fambly guy I am not crossing my fingers.

And burning bridges with Mike Judge as fast as Murdoch's underlings could. They're a really stupid organization that's been real lucky with Simpsons, Cops, MWC and X-Files.

Okay they might have something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Oh wait they're adding a new McFarlane joint about immigrants in America and they dumb redneck neighbors. So hopefully reverse KotH?

They're putting taco shells on the salmon!!!

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Zaphod42 posted:

Except for those few times in Law and Order where the vic gets charged or something, and then they bring in the one token good guy defense attorney.

Or one time I think they even had their prosecutor friend switch and play defense for them. (So they wouldn't have to use any of the big bad scary defense attorneys)

My mom is actually a criminal defense attorney so I've seen the complete opposite of that. A bunch of poor people who made a mistake getting totally strongarmed by the government prosecutor just looking to get their fair day in court.

By the way, don't be a criminal defense attorney. poo poo is stressful.

Thing is, I think part of why TV and Movies portray criminal defense attorney as such scumbag rats all the time is because that's how lots of society actually feels. I don't want to get into a political debate in this thread, but the vast majority of all American I've spoken to have no idea what Gideon's law is and think that the state paying for people to get defense attorneys is stupid, because those people are crimials and criminals don't deserve a free defense. :doh: I really really wish I was joking, but seriously, that's what a lot of people believe. Only lawyers and judges seem to appreciate the need for Gideon v Wainwright.

I am friend's with a bunch of insurance litigation lawyers and they pretty much unanimously agree that you only go into criminal defense if you want to be a hero helping people as there is bugger all money in it except for the top 1%. The whole "making GBS threads on defense attorneys" is pretty stock standard really even here in Australia and it annoys me now as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I wonder if these people would have the same attitude if the state accused them of a serious crime and they needed a public defender.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I wonder if these people would have the same attitude if the state accused them of a serious crime and they needed a public defender.
Of course not, they're not criminals. They're citizens unjustly accused and deserve a good defense. Those other guys? They're criminals.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Of course not, they're not criminals. They're citizens unjustly accused and deserve a good defense. Those other guys? They're criminals.

Everybody in jail is innocent.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

OldTennisCourt posted:

This extends from TV and movies but I really can't stand how defense attorneys seem to mostly be depicted as evil, greedy scumbags with no morals who gleefully cheer when they let murderers go free. I know that most cop/court shows are from the perspective of the police/prosecutors but it really pisses me off how we now have this cultural idea that defense attorneys are soulless creatures who don't care about victims.

This is REALLY bad in Law and Order SVU when literally every single defense attorney is portrayed as cartoonishly evil.

This is like twice as bad in anything Japanese. If a lawyer gets murdered in a cop show, the police will stand around complaining about how the victims of every criminal he defended are potential suspects, and why do they have to solve this case anyway.

Even Legal High where the main character was a defense lawyer, portrayed him as a money grubbing rear end in a top hat who regularly cheated the system to get guilty criminals cleared.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Shouldn't 300 have been called 301? Since Leonidas took his 300 hundred best and himself to Thermopolae.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Shouldn't 300 have been called 301? Since Leonidas took his 300 hundred best and himself to Thermopolae.

Could he have included himself as one of the 300?

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Ephialtes was so terrible he counted as negative one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Then he sends the one guy who narrates away, so it's still 300 at the end.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Aphrodite posted:

Then he sends the one guy who narrates away, so it's still 300 at the end.

But a few men had died in previous fights, such as that one captain's son, so there's less than 300 at the end.

:goonsay:

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Eh! Frank posted:

But a few men had died in previous fights, such as that one captain's son, so there's less than 300 at the end.

Fewer

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not about the size of the army, it's about the number of corpses.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Saw that Denzel version of The Equalizer and while it was mostly okay it gets pretty bad at the end. Specifically the home improvement store action scene where Denzel goes from taking guys out in straight up fights to murdering them with brutal traps. It just got unpleasant with stuff like drills to the back of the head or hanging a guy with a barbed wire noose. It was the kind of stuff you'd expect a horror movie villain to do.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

muscles like this? posted:

Saw that Denzel version of The Equalizer and while it was mostly okay it gets pretty bad at the end. Specifically the home improvement store action scene where Denzel goes from taking guys out in straight up fights to murdering them with brutal traps. It just got unpleasant with stuff like drills to the back of the head or hanging a guy with a barbed wire noose. It was the kind of stuff you'd expect a horror movie villain to do.

But... That was the best part. :allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And Home Alone was one of the highest grossing movies ever for a good stretch.

E-- Honest Action - Home Alone: https://youtu.be/8WKgNyvsNDM

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 04:17 on Jun 7, 2015

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

That was pretty much the point though, he was forced to abandon his 'high minded' style and get down in the dirt with the people trying to kill him. Character development!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulpes posted:

That was pretty much the point though, he was forced to abandon his 'high minded' style and get down in the dirt with the people trying to kill him. Character development!

Yeah, that's how I saw it. He had spent his "retirement" trying to leave the brutality of his past behind, only to find it was core to who he was. Even the TV series the movie is based on, the guy was pretty ruthless in a sanitized TV show from the 80s kind of way.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As very meh as the movie was i did really enjoy his whole "i have 15 seconds to kill everybody in this room so i'm going to actually time myself" thing. Of course then John Wick came out and showed everybody how to do an action movie the right way so now it's hard to watch these kinds of movies without thinking back to it.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Celery Face posted:

The entire movie is hilarious but god, it was hysterical how when the two detectives started questioning the doctor about the missing tourists, the doctor leaps up, screams something like "How dare you! You think there is a connection! WHAT A NERVE!" and shoves his roofied glass of water in their faces. When that doesn't work, the doctor excuses himself and comes back with a needle hidden in a towel. When the detectives catch what he's doing, they believe him when he says that it's insulin.

I don't know why but when a character in something acts very over-the-top suspicious and no one else in the story notices, it's both irritating and hilarious. The Lovely Bones had that problem with the serial killer dude. But on the other hand, it was great when Stanley Tucci somehow got nominated for that role at the Oscar's because right after they played the clip, he rolled his eyes and mouthed "awful" to himself.

This might be my biggest irritation I can remember, and it goes hand in hand with the talk a bit ago about the nefariously evil defense lawyers. In this case it applies to both the defense lawyers and their sometimes suspiciously smug and slimy-seeming defendants who sometimes look like they're one scene away from shooting a cop's partner, standing on a shipping crate and saying "I have diplomatic immunity!" :smug:

It's like, drat, I know some of these defendants think they have an air-tight alibi but you'd think they'd try to play it cool and not make themselves seem like a smug sociopath when they're still being investigated. Although the difference between the quoted example from Human Centipede and the Law and Order variants is that the latter case, the DAs and investigators don't tend to fall for it.

The former case of the cliche is probably what bothers me more than anything, in watching characters act just really weird and suspicious and nobody picks up on it. I can't count the number of horror or suspense scenes I've seen where the killer is basically talking his way out of getting caught, sometimes in a "charming" way that just kind of oozes with sociopathic cheesy slime. It's almost like they're flirting, except they ham up the creepy angle so much that it's totally unbelievable that anyone would keep talking to them without trying to figure out a way to safely disengage without exposing the back of their head to this person and maybe call the police. Like a really bad Hannibal Lector impression in some cases. And then factor in the ones where they get weird anger jags or bizarre behavior or playing with dangerous implements, and I just groan as yet another investigating cop or victim is about to get brained by a villain with all the subtlety of Daffy Duck.

Edit: VVV uggggh

Midnight Raider has a new favorite as of 14:31 on Jun 8, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
In the same vein, I can't stand this cliche:

:smug: "You'll never make these charges stick. Don't you know who you're messing with?" :smug:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Saw Pitch Perfect 2 yesterday. While it was pretty funny, the music just didn't stand up to the original. Probably wouldn't watch it again but would still watch the first one 937464 more times.

My gripe with it is the German team. While they're singing, words like "the" and "there" get changed to "zee" and "zere". Fine whatever, they're supposed to be roided out Übermensch with incredibly thick accents. When they switch to normal conversation, though, they actually say "the" and "there", etc. it's really kind of annoying.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just watched a fairly bad movie called "Killing Season" with Robert Deniro and John Travolta playing a Serbian guy who is mad about something Deniro did during the war and is trying to kill him. Throughout the course of the movie each of them has the other one completely powerless and ready to kill, but they keep talking and dicking around, giving the other a chance to get the upper hand and escape. This happens like 5 times each. Stop talking, kill the guy. You don't have to get your dramatic monologue in before you do it, just get it over with.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
On last night's Penny Dreadful this hilariously incompetent bounty hunter keeps threatening this werewolf dude that he's going to scalp him and anyone close to him if he won't come along back to America.

Except half his face is off because Hartnett had him for a chew toy a while back and his only defensive ploy is that he can't shoot him in the drawing room because it's very fancy and the others will hear the gunshot. As if they'd give a gently caress.

Or he could just palm the disgusting little texan's face and drag him down to the river.

I honestly can't make any sense of him as a threat other than he fact that he tells boring stories after being politely asked not to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Murphy Brownback posted:

I just watched a fairly bad movie called "Killing Season" with Robert Deniro and John Travolta playing a Serbian guy who is mad about something Deniro did during the war and is trying to kill him. Throughout the course of the movie each of them has the other one completely powerless and ready to kill, but they keep talking and dicking around, giving the other a chance to get the upper hand and escape. This happens like 5 times each. Stop talking, kill the guy. You don't have to get your dramatic monologue in before you do it, just get it over with.