Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Before covid hit I used to flight instruct on the side for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I need to get my CFI renewed because I let it lapse during the “I can’t spare a dollar” phase of my career. Maybe I’ll start working on that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've had worse Monday mornings...

Reztes posted:

Outstanding.

The dark side, it calls to me....
thwip, thwip, thwip, thwip .... give me allll your moneyyyy...

chuff, chuff, chuff, chuff ... I don’t really crash that much more often than aiiirplaneeees...

Worth it, imo.

simble
May 11, 2004

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I've had worse Monday mornings...

I thought new flight sim didn't have helicopters yet...

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

vessbot posted:

I flew with a moon landing hoaxer.

Covid has really brought out the crazy amongst airline pilots. I've met multiple pilots who have said that they won't be getting a vaccine because they think it'll be part of Bill Gates population control program. Even more who think that it's a democratic hoax that will go away if Biden wins the election.

I also flew with a flight attendant who was convinced that covid was developed in a Chinese bioweapons lab and her evidence was basically "I'm racist towards the Chinese therefore they did it." Later I asked her if she thought the Hong Kong protests were justified and she started spewing something about antifa rioters and how we should lock them all up. I'm %90 convinced she thinks Hong Kong is in California.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
With as many pilots as I’ve met that think covid is a hoax or not a big deal, I’m amazed it hasn’t decimated any airline crews yet. Just a bunch of geriatric fucks proudly flouting mask rules. Last guy I flew with was like a boomer tropes greatest hits anytime he started talking. I saw him wear a mask maybe 3 times in a week and a half.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

e.pilot posted:

I love flying with him so much.

Ask him about the Free Masons the next time you see him.

If you guys fly for FedEx there’s a good chance you’re talking about my neighbor :allears:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

aunt jenkins posted:

If you guys fly for FedEx there’s a good chance you’re talking about my neighbor :allears:

lol I wish, but it delights me to no end that there’s more than one guy like this.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm based in Idaho, so I get lots of fun people at work, and I'm sure HR wonders what the hell is wrong with this state.

We had a captain who had to be talked out of going to occupy that wildlife refuge with the Branch Dildonians and was probably on a Secret Service watchlist for repeatedly threatening to shoot Obama. There was a flight attendant who was publicly threatening violence against Muslims (the airline inexplicably didn't fire him for that) and another flight attendant who moved out of California because it had "too many Mexicans" and is prone randomly praying in crew rooms about how God can't bless America because we keep killing babies. The most entertaining one was when we had two flight attendants go through a spectacularly messy breakup that ended with restraining orders against each other, which confused the crap out of crew scheduling.

We did fire one captain for sexually harassing basically every female he talked to, and one flight attendant is serving prison time for felony stalking after creeping on underage girls at the local mall.

During the pandemic, I've been surprised at how well most of the people I work with have taken the situation, although I did have to threaten to remove one flight attendant who kept trying to explain that stupid "plandemic" video to the passengers sitting near her jumpseat.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I flew with a boomer who insisted all local quarantine and mask restrictions due to COVID were null because of a statement that Barr issued. He carried a printout of this statement so that if the police arrested him he could hire the lawyer who represented the MAGA kid who did the smirk staredown at the Indian chief in Kentucky, and then he would be rich. He didn’t even introduce himself in the crew van, right away he just started rambling about masks and conspiracies, the worst one being that respirators are a death sentence and doctors put people on respirators to kill them so that they can report another COVID death and get more government funding.

Here, I took a picture of the printout, he even highlighted his favorite parts:

Animal fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 21, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Has anyone seen one of those bullshit "Freedom to breath agency" cards in the wild yet?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

I flew with a boomer who insisted all local quarantine and mask restrictions due to COVID were null because of a statement that Barr issued. He carried a printout of this statement so that if the police arrested him he could hire the lawyer who represented the MAGA kid who did the smirk staredown at the Indian chief in Kentucky, and then he would be rich. He didn’t even introduce himself in the crew van, right away he just started rambling about masks and conspiracies, the worst one being that respirators are a death sentence and doctors put people on respirators to kill them so that they can report another COVID death and get more government funding.

Here, I took a picture of the printout, he even highlighted his favorite parts:

lololol I was hoping you’d mention him

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
You guys know some awesomely hilarious people.

Now I don't feel so bad. :glomp:

At least my issue is a mood disorder, not a brain worms disorder.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Flew with a guy who works for Animal's and e.pilot's company who verbally/physically assaults most women he comes in contact with AND almost ran a 747 out of gas and the company never fired him. Never heard about his political beliefs but I'm sure they were repulsive

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

While I am generally pro-union they do have their downsides. One of those is that they are legally obligated to defend their members against disciplinary action. Normally this is a good thing but sometimes there are pilots who everyone, even the union, wants gone but they keep their jobs because the union has to represent them. At my last job we had one or two who were almost universally despised but managed to survive. One of them would even brag about how many times the company had tried to fire him. He also didn't shower routinely which made flying with him even more extraordinarily unpleasant.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

While I am generally pro-union they do have their downsides. One of those is that they are legally obligated to defend their members against disciplinary action. Normally this is a good thing but sometimes there are pilots who everyone, even the union, wants gone but they keep their jobs because the union has to represent them. At my last job we had one or two who were almost universally despised but managed to survive. One of them would even brag about how many times the company had tried to fire him. He also didn't shower routinely which made flying with him even more extraordinarily unpleasant.

I'm incredibly pro-Airline Union and served as Committee rep several times and Vice Chair once. The Railway Labor Act has nearly everything stacked against airline pilots., so LEGAL withholding of labor is essentially the only tool pilots have. Union Reps are like Public Defenders. Their job is to represent EVERYBODY, regardless of perceived guilt or how disgusting the circumstances.

At my first commuter we had a Captain that was regarded as mildly unstable. One overnight he launched himself on to the rolls of the dangerously unstable. After he checked out of the RON hotel one morning and without a word to anyone, a traumatized housekeeper found his room absolutely TRASHED - feces smeared ALL OVER the bathroom, smeared on the ceiling above the bed, ground into the carpet, Gideon bible defaced with the words "gently caress THE POPE" written on the cut ends of the pages, etc. Hotel had to hire a crime-scene cleaning company to un-gently caress the room. I think this is the event that got us kicked out of an extremely decent RON hotel in Albany.

Naturally after being presented with a $5000 bill for hotel room cleaning, the company launched an investigation and immediately terminated Captain Poo Poo. My friend was assigned to his discipline case as a Grievance Committee Rep. My friend asks the Chairman "How do I defend this POS?" who answers "You do what you can - question the evidence, offer quasi-believable explanations. Limit testimony by the accused".

So, my friend challenges the defaced bible, explains that Captain Poo Poo had sudden, explosive diarrhea (no poo poo) and was so embarrassed by the way that he left the room that he didn't cop to the carnage when he checked out. To my friend's dismay, most of the explanations he offered received amazing acceptance by the company reps. Eventually, the company hired a handwriting expert (again, no poo poo) to compare Captain Poo Poo's signature on a bunch of flight releases against the gently caress THE POPE written on the Gideon bible. He deemed them a match and as of 24 years ago Captain Poo Poo was Car Salesman Poo Poo in Altoona, PA.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Arson Daily posted:

Flew with a guy who works for Animal's and e.pilot's company who verbally/physically assaults most women he comes in contact with AND almost ran a 747 out of gas and the company never fired him. Never heard about his political beliefs but I'm sure they were repulsive

sounds about right

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ausgezeichnet posted:

I'm incredibly pro-Airline Union and served as Committee rep several times and Vice Chair once. The Railway Labor Act has nearly everything stacked against airline pilots., so LEGAL withholding of labor is essentially the only tool pilots have.

At least ya’ll have that. My union has a severe case of Stockholm syndrome.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
A union is like a condom: the more someone's trying to convince you you don't need one, the more you need one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am, in general, pro-union. However, I've heard of a number of distressing cases from... well, pretty much every female pilot I've worked with, where the union will protect pilots who sexually harass women. Inasmuch as the job of a union is to offer protection to all employees and represent their interests, that's pretty gross. Just because the main task is defending pilots from management doesn't mean Captain Grabby should be allowed to harass his F/Os without getting fired.

To be clear, I don't think this is a cause to get rid of the unions, but I do think an internal restructuring needs to occur in order to make sure all pilots are protected from unacceptable behaviour, whether that behaviour is coming from management or other employees.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Friends at a regional several years ago told me about a captain who somehow dragged the winglet on a -700 on landing in the Bahamas. While the plane was grounded for maintenance and his job hung in the balance, he went and rode jet skis.

I saw not too long ago on their social media a clip of the washdown for his retirement flight.

There was also a story about a pilot who took a crap in a v file to get a message across about his dissatisfaction with the chief pilot/company. Apparently, a voicemail or conference call regarding this somehow made its way to YouTube, but is no longer there.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Apparently pilots poo on things a lot more than we realize.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I think a lot of it depends on who runs the local union, since I can easily see one where the entire EXCO or MEC is old white dudes being way too permissive with a lot of sexual harassment.

I'm chairman of the professional standards committee for my local, and while our EXCO is all white guys, it tends to be on the slightly younger side, and there's women in charge of, or serving on several of the committees, so that helps even things out a bit.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 22, 2020

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Anybody working ATC from NW FL to KY? Ima bout to hit you up with like 100 evacuating aircraft tomorrow hope you’re ready. Oh btw were probably gonna be all IFR

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bob A Feet posted:

Anybody working ATC from NW FL to KY? Ima bout to hit you up with like 100 evacuating aircraft tomorrow hope you’re ready. Oh btw were probably gonna be all IFR

:eyepop:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

Bob A Feet posted:

I thought I clicked the flight sim threat for a minute.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The Hurricane Hunters all moved from Biloxi to Charleston today, wish I had opened flightaware to take a pic of the stream of WC-130s.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Sort by TEX2 on adsexchange for some fun.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is there a military equivalent of FlightAware and, if so, what are the best ones?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is there a military equivalent of FlightAware and, if so, what are the best ones?

reported to the FBI.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Just punch interesting types into one of the ADS-B using sites? Like FlightAware as you mentioned

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

CBJSprague24 posted:

it's not military-specific, but https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ has military traffic. It'll show up on the sidebar as a callsign, like KING39 or JOLLY91. Note that usually only the cargo planes and tankers have the transmitters; you're unlikely to see fighters, for instance. (I did see a U-2 once and that was cool)

FlightAware has more ADS-B receivers and data sources, so it's generally more complete, but it also hides military, law enforcement, etc and lets rich assholes pay to hide their tail numbers. ADSB Exchange has fewer receivers, because it's mostly fed by people with an antenna on their roof, but it shows everything that's broadcast. So if you wanna stalk Harrison Ford (N89HU) or Elon Musk (N628TS) the latter is what you want.

e: this is what repeated helicopter water-bombing runs look like, apparently. rad

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 25, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

it's not military-specific, but https://globe.adsbexchange.com/ has military traffic. It'll show up on the sidebar as a callsign, like KING39 or JOLLY91. Note that usually only the cargo planes and tankers have the transmitters; you're unlikely to see fighters, for instance. (I did see a U-2 once and that was cool)

FlightAware has more ADS-B receivers and data sources, so it's generally more complete, but it also hides military, law enforcement, etc and lets rich assholes pay to hide their tail numbers. ADSB Exchange has fewer receivers, because it's mostly fed by people with an antenna on their roof, but it shows everything that's broadcast. So if you wanna stalk Harrison Ford (N89HU) or Elon Musk (N628TS) the latter is what you want.

e: this is what repeated helicopter water-bombing runs look like, apparently. rad

The heavies are the ones I'm the most curious about, such as the C-17s I see fly over town.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
ADSB exchange let’s you sort by type if you know it’s type code.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I saw the B21 bomber flying two or three times flying at night with lights off against a starry sky before it was declassified, and I got so annoyed I couldn't find any flight info about it and thought I was hallucinating the bizarre silhouette that didn't seem to exist.

Backpacking in Colorado is fun, it's just a question of how many nights you go until you see something classified.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pryor on Fire posted:

I saw the B21 bomber flying two or three times flying at night with lights off against a starry sky before it was declassified, and I got so annoyed I couldn't find any flight info about it and thought I was hallucinating the bizarre silhouette that didn't seem to exist.

Backpacking in Colorado is fun, it's just a question of how many nights you go until you see something classified.

:tinfoil:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
So last weekend was fun. I did my first Atlantic crossing, my first flight into Europe, and my first flight into an active warzone. All in a CRJ200. All in the left seat.

Oh and there was a Covid scare upon return (tested clear).

Oh and I'm going to go do this all over again this coming week.

New job owns :clint:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Desi posted:

So last weekend was fun. I did my first Atlantic crossing, my first flight into Europe, and my first flight into an active warzone. All in a CRJ200. All in the left seat.

atlantic crossings in a CRJ200 :eyepop:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Desi posted:

Please tell us you did that Atlantic crossing via the old school new foundland/greenland/iceland route.

...you totally went straight across with no alternates and questionable aux fuel tanks like those Australian Cessna delivery flights didn’t you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

e.pilot posted:

atlantic crossings in a CRJ200 :eyepop:

Taking a jet with the word 'Regional' in the name intercontinental. Seems legit. To be fair, this one is equipped with HF and SELCAL. So that helped. And the Atlantic legs were an empty ferry.

hobbesmaster posted:

Please tell us you did that Atlantic crossing via the old school new foundland/greenland/iceland route.

...you totally went straight across with no alternates and questionable aux fuel tanks like those Australian Cessna delivery flights didn’t you.

Haha yes, Origin, Newfoundland, Iceland, Europe. Though I did pitch the NAT Tracks (The RJ absolutely doesn't have the range for that).