Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Dan Crenshaw/Black Rifle Coffee Guy 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jealous Cow posted:

I also haven’t listened since the Barr memo episode. I couldn’t even finish it. I already gave up on PSA. Chapo’s unwillingness to engage in productive discourse and constant fatalism is getting old.

Productive discourse is no longer possible. Nobody willing to discuss is arguing in good faith or is even bothering to listen, and nobody left is willing to budge on the matter. Words can no longer help us, only actions. You could at least vote or something, but just talking will get us nowhere.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Jealous Cow posted:

I also haven’t listened since the Barr memo episode. I couldn’t even finish it. I already gave up on PSA. Chapo’s unwillingness to engage in productive discourse and constant fatalism is getting old.

engage in whatnow

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
"Get over it and move on, it was never going to be that easy" is kind of the most productive take on the matter though?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/RAICESTEXAS/status/1110733465601728512

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jesus Christ.

Is 9:30am an appropriate time to start drinking :smith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cool I’m in hell.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Koalas March posted:

Jesus Christ.

Is 9:30am an appropriate time to start drinking :smith:

I've been into the whiskey for an hour now, so sure.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1111605172021555200?s=19

Barr did too good a job making the Mueller report look completely exonerating, now most Republicans want it released too

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
ICE deserves to rot.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Wark Say posted:

ICE deserves to rot.

They deserve worse but I'd settle for this tbh

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
America crossed the “we’re the bad guys” line centuries ago with slavery but goddamnit you’d think we’d at least be trying to turn the ship around by now. Instead it’s full steam ahead into “beyond Satan” territory.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Barr did too good a job making the Mueller report look completely exonerating, now most Republicans want it released too

lol, if that's what does it I just don't know

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lol, if that's what does it I just don't know

The funny thing is, Trump's too dumb to read even the Barr letter, so he's calling for the release too.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But we lost and should just move on hurrrrr

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TheScott2K posted:

engage in whatnow

Should have been more specific: discussing what can be done to change things, rather than just lamenting how lovely everything is. At least PSA is active in fundraising and growing ground capabilities, even if they are centrist scum.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Koalas March posted:

They deserve worse but I'd settle for this tbh
Sorry, KM. I have 8 hours of work in me so I'm hella drained. But now that I'm slightly more coherent, here's what I want: I want every single one of these pieces of garbage running internment camps to be tried for crimes against humanity. "Nuremberg'd" should be an expression people use casually to demand what these fuckbins need to be subjected to.

gently caress I.C.E. and everything they stand for.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

Chapo isn't alone in problematic humor in an otherwise good leftist podcast. The Majority Report is great, but Michael Brooks' (annoying) "impressions" often include plenty of "ironic" racism and homophobia yuk yuk yuk

I know, right? I'm sometimes surprised by how his racist impressions pass unmentioned. Also they're frequently unfunny - I only like his Peterson impression.

At least Brooks isn't on every show and he doesn't use the n-word or misgender trans people as Cumtown do. He's a lot more serious on his own podcast, the Michael Brooks Show.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 29, 2019

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I stopped listening to Chapo regularly a couple months after the election (2016). Read the book too. I just can't anymore...There's nothing left to be said. I do however like The Majority Report. Good coffee clatch. Unlike others, I find the criticism of Brooks inexplicable. He's never really set off any bells for me and I generally look for that poo poo. In fact, that entire group is really good about bringing people on and having discussions on how to actually fix things. I think finding them, honestly, is why I can't really do the whole dirtbag left thing anymore...It's just not productive.

I still have a soft spot for Matt Christman though. Dude's got a lot of heart.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The Chapo episode on this year's CPAC (where they had press passes) is hilarious.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Citations Needed is good.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Trump is racist as a function of his base; he'll say and do whatever gets him the most cheers and claps. That's been his main advantage with the Republican party all along; he has no internal limits on his self-interest and everyone else does.

Anyone who could out-Trump Trump would be an even more horrible person than Trump is.

Eh, he probably is racist on his own, given that he has a long documented history of racism going back to long before he went into politics.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zero_Grade posted:

The Chapo episode on this year's CPAC (where they had press passes) is hilarious.

yeah. also Matt Christman legitimately got introspective about it and was fairly self critical regarding their role in the whole thing. definitely my favorite member of the crew.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

Eh, he probably is racist on his own, given that he has a long documented history of racism going back to long before he went into politics.

also, there isn't a difference between "pretending to be racist to gain power" and "being racist". in both situations you don't believe minorities are fully human.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I stopped listening to Chapo regularly a couple months after the election (2016). Read the book too. I just can't anymore...There's nothing left to be said. I do however like The Majority Report. Good coffee clatch. Unlike others, I find the criticism of Brooks inexplicable. He's never really set off any bells for me and I generally look for that poo poo. In fact, that entire group is really good about bringing people on and having discussions on how to actually fix things. I think finding them, honestly, is why I can't really do the whole dirtbag left thing anymore...It's just not productive.

I like Michael Brooks, don't get me wrong. But sometimes he tries to do this awful Indian (?) accent and it reminds me of hack comics.

I haven't been able to watch the show since the Barr report came out, just because it's obnoxious to see Team Trump take a victory lap.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 29, 2019

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Trump is racist as a function of his base; he'll say and do whatever gets him the most cheers and claps. That's been his main advantage with the Republican party all along; he has no internal limits on his self-interest and everyone else does.

Anyone who could out-Trump Trump would be an even more horrible person than Trump is.

That sounds like you're saying Trump wouldn't be racist if his base weren't, but he is and was racist long before all of this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The funny thing is, Trump's too dumb to read even the Barr letter, so he's calling for the release too.

Since he can just release it himself...

Well, I was going to say it's a smoke screen, but we all know Trump isn't aware of what the president does, he's probably just being stupid while the people in the background just quietly shuffle things away.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao how did mick mulvaney get into learned league.

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1111630055040520192

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TyroneGoldstein posted:

This is it. This man is the symbol for a huge swath of his addled generation. Not all, but a disturbing amount.

Trump is the ultimate manifestation of the right-wing media's longtime hobby of "Look! We found a celebrity who said a conservative thing!"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RandomBlue posted:

That sounds like you're saying Trump wouldn't be racist if his base weren't, but he is and was racist long before all of this.

Sure but that's a hypothetical contrary to fact because America was also already racist long before Trump ran. Trump's always been racist, but it was his willingness to be publicly racist that got him started in the Republican primaries. If his racism weren't rewarded -- if it sank him in the early Republican primaries -- we wouldn't be here discussing him. Now, though, because his racism is rewarded, he's going to keep going with it further and further, and the only way to attack him from the right would be to be even more racist (which can't happen, because he would raise to match so as to seek more applause lines).

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

It's chicken-and-egg poo poo, really. Dude knew that punching the vulnerable would earn him points with the sorts of powerful white shitheads he's always been surrounded by since long, long before he became a politician. That doesn't mean he's not a true believer, of course, but it means he's always had an incentive to act like one even if there was ever a time in his life when he wasn't to the same extent.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1111629177575350279

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005
I just want to put it out there that Trump's style of racism is very New York from the neighborhood style racism. It's a very distinctly from here (I'm from NYC) type of racism that grew up around these areas over the last 3 quarters of a century. He most definitely would be that dirtbag racist if he wasn't goaded by his base. He just wouldn't be as overt about it if they weren't but he'd definitely be as sync'd up with the concept.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The general strike has already begun!

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Now it is they who are the gatekeepers of sex!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

What’s with that decade-long oscillation cycle of spikes where they gently caress at 13 but then five years later do it at 16-17?

I’d expect a longer upward trend post-AIDS or something, but not that.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I like PSA. They were pretty centrist to begin with but they’ve been steadily pulled to the left.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DreamingofRoses posted:

I like PSA. They were pretty centrist to begin with but they’ve been steadily pulled to the left.

They're fake left because leftist policies are gaining traction right now. They are incapable of criticising the Obama administration, and thus cannot offer a legitimate analysis of modern politics at all

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DreamingofRoses posted:

A lot of that had been in response to a steady drumbeat of mockery and bullying from their left flank for poo poo like employing a piece of poo poo GOP opposition research and lobbying ghoul who helped Facebook shovel some anti-Semitic Soros Is The Enemy propaganda. Imagine having judgment so blinkered you thought that was a voice worth amplifying in the first place.

Like Yglesias, Jeet Heer and a few other pundits who have been forced by circumstance and reality to move at least somewhat leftward it’s because they and their audience are very online, which puts them in part at the mercy of the extremely online left, and that twitter allows any old schlub to make convincing arguments in their mentions about why their shilling for M4A-opposed stalking horses is a bad look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Citations Needed is good.

Citations Needed is required listening. Their analysis is sober and well-reasoned enough that they could probably convert centrists whose heads aren't too far up their asses.

Street Fight Radio is great too, in a more cathartic fashion.