Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Torrannor posted:

The Gebäck you're seeing in that picture is properly called a Pfannkuchen, but some people improperly call them Berliner, and call a wholly different recipe Pfannkuchen for some reason.
Höre hier, du kleine Scheiße...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Drone posted:

There's a one-year backlog on Einbürgerungsanträge here in Hessen right now anyway, so there's not a huge rush.

The Sachbearbeiterin did advise me to semi-regularly attempt to get the US Behörden to take some action via email (just so it's documented) so this can be used as an argument in case the need to lawyer up comes. But right now there's no hurry, especially if it looks like the law might be changed anyway.

Yeah personally I don't want to renounce my US citizenship, so all I can really do is hope and wait. It's nice that you can seemingly set the gears in motion once meeting the requirements and leave Germany while the backlog gets worked through.

futurebot 2000
Jan 29, 2010
If Berliner are Pfannkuchen then what are Pfannkuchen?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Libluini posted:

to be fair, if I make Pfannkuchen and someone looks at that and goes "ah, nice Berliner", I would think they're insane, too

Apfelstücke go well with Pfannkuchen, by the way. Apply either Puderzucker or a drop of honey to the endproduct.

why would someone call an Eierkuchen a Berliner (or a Pfannkuchen)? you're making no sense

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Germany was a mistake, go back to the borders of 1401 and have everyone declare war on everyone else, like god intended

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It's pretty easy, it's a "Berliner Pfannkuchen".

If you live in Berlin, you drop the Berliner.
If you don't, you drop the Pfannkuchen.

Now with Krapfen :dawkins101:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

futurebot 2000 posted:

If Berliner are Pfannkuchen then what are Pfannkuchen?

Once you fill them and fold them over, they are a sandwich

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

People in Berlin calling them Pfannkuchen without them having anything to do with Pfannen is just one of those things you're better of accepting instead of arguing, as the proponents will never change their mind. It's just one of those affectations, like people in the us calling padded rugby "football" or people in Köln galling Kölsch "Bier".

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

A Pfannkuchen is made in a Pfanne. Berliner is just a weird name for a thing that doesn't seem to have anything to do with Berlin. Krapfen is clearly the correct word.

Still a fun tweet!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Son of Rodney posted:

People in Berlin calling them Pfannkuchen without them having anything to do with Pfannen is just one of those things you're better of accepting instead of arguing, as the proponents will never change their mind. It's just one of those affectations, like people in the us calling padded rugby "football" or people in Köln galling Kölsch "Bier".

Next you tell me that Leberkäs is not made out of Leber and Käse. (Then again I have no clue where the “Pfanne” came from, while the Leber and Käse is pretty much explained)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

pidan posted:

A Pfannkuchen is made in a Pfanne. Berliner is just a weird name for a thing that doesn't seem to have anything to do with Berlin. Krapfen is clearly the correct word.

Still a fun tweet!

They were invented in Berlin :shobon:

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
fun fact: they are also called 'berliner' in Dutch

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

When I was a kid, I visited Österreich with my mom because we have some relatives there, and they had a pretty cool dog. So we went to a Metzgerei and my mother started with “I möchte gerne vier Wienerle…..” and stopped…

We then learned they are called Frankfurter there, and in hindsight, that was as funny as ordering Wienerle in Wien.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What many of you call a "Pfannkuchen" is made in a Pfanne, all right, but it's hardly a Kuchen.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Zwille posted:

Klöße are technically Pfannkuchen. Furthermore, in this essay I will
The only time you fry Klöße is if you make eingeschnittene Klöße from leftovers!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Greatest Living Man posted:

Yeah personally I don't want to renounce my US citizenship, so all I can really do is hope and wait. It's nice that you can seemingly set the gears in motion once meeting the requirements and leave Germany while the backlog gets worked through.

I neither want nor not want to renounce my US citizenship, it is what it is: just another bureaucratic hurdle. And if German law adapts to such a degree that it allows me to keep my US citizenship when gaining German citizenship, then that (at the very least) removes some time-pressure on the need to renounce the old one.

I probably will do it either way at some point if for no other reason than I don't feel much connection to the US anymore (and also FATCA is the most insanely stupid law, but that's beside the point), but it just becomes so much less critical if Germany is cool with people having dual citizenship for a few years.

There are tens of thousands of people with dual US/German citizenship anyway who live in a grey zone because they never renounced one of them once they turned 18 like they're supposed to, so why should a naturalized citizen be any different?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

frankenfreak posted:

The only time you fry Klöße is if you make eingeschnittene Klöße from leftovers!

Das ist der Weg!

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/russland-untersuchungen-auslaender-101.html

mandatory "health checks" every three months for ausländer living in russia, including drugs testing, x-rays, capturing fingerprints and biometric data, and psych evaluation.

lol, lmao

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nawilo_420 posted:

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/russland-untersuchungen-auslaender-101.html

mandatory "health checks" every three months for ausländer living in russia, including drugs testing, x-rays, capturing fingerprints and biometric data, and psych evaluation.

lol, lmao

considering Russia's population growth is projected to crash hard this century, making sure immigration drops as hard as possible too is a novel solution, I'll give you that

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Torrannor posted:

What many of you call a "Pfannkuchen" is made in a Pfanne, all right, but it's hardly a Kuchen.

Just say Palatschinken and Krapfen, no need for using Pfannkuchen at all.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Still looking for that Lachs in my Lamm.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Barbelith posted:

Just say Palatschinken

But where is the Schinken there?

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Mano posted:

But where is the Schinken there?

Right next to the Palat :downsrim:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Son of Rodney posted:

They were invented in Berlin :shobon:

Only Arschlöcher say zu Pfannkuchen "Berliner". It's a shibboleth.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Drone posted:

If the new Einwanderungsgesetz relaxes its stance on doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft, than this becomes less of an issue for me.

Is there any indication for this? Not having doppelte Staatsbürgerschaft because "Türken könnten ja sonst in beiden Ländern wählen und andere Einwanderer don't exist" is one of THE central tenets of Germans like Barzahlung muss überall möglich sein. This would be a huge change for that country.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ernste Frage: What goes into the Raclette today, outside of cheese?

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

tuo posted:

What do you have?

I've had good experiences with filet (lamb or cow), potatoes (cooked), mushrooms (champion or fancyer), Ananas for Hawaii-style shenanigans as well as shrimp and other crustaceans with garlic.

The original swiss style variant uses only cooked potatoes, the particular cheese and spices.

Just think of anything that would go well with being fried and / or overbacken with cheese.

If you like your apartment free from smoke, don't put food directly on the hot stone but use a pan like you would on a stove. Also don't overfill your pans. You don't want cheese to get on the heating elements.

Basically just go with the flow and improvise.

Plankalkuel fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 31, 2021

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
Booster acquired!

This Silvester is already better than last years.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Everything that is snackable and could conceivably go on a grill goes in a Raclette imo

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
wtf are you people talking about. Raclette is when you have a big cheese and grill the top of it, then scrape that heated layer off onto a plate and eat it with a potato and something sour like pickled onions or gurken

edit:

edit2:

this is raclette:

nawilo_420 fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 31, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

lagidnam posted:

Booster acquired!

This Silvester is already better than last years.

This seems like a Missachtung of the Ballerverbot, Anzeige ist raus

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

tuo posted:

We've had good results with Blätterteig, actually. Works nice as a base to keep smaller ingredients like corn or beans together.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

nawilo_420 posted:

wtf are you people talking about. Raclette is when you have a big cheese and grill the top of it, then scrape that heated layer off onto a plate and eat it with a potato and something sour like pickled onions or gurken

edit:

edit2:

this is raclette:

What are you, Swiss?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

nawilo_420 posted:

edit:

edit2:

this is raclette:

We're talking about Raclette-Öfeli here, obviously. Maybe ask a Swiss if you've never heard of it before.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Olitism aside, Guter Rutsch, ihr Nasen!

Kommt gut rein, macht keinen Scheiß und wenn ihr Scheiß macht, schaut, dass er viel Ballaststoffe hat.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

KonvexKonkav posted:

We're talking about Raclette-Öfeli here, obviously. Maybe ask a Swiss if you've never heard of it before.

raclette-öfeli...? bunch of sick freaks imho

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Raclette reminds me of being in a restaurant near a couple of complete halfwits either too dumb or polite to take action when their heating element was burning the cheese producing black smoke everywhere and then having to deal with a smokey stinking restaurant for the rest of the night.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I‘m just looking for new ideas. I‘ll go for a mix of the typical cheese with Roquefort and some Sardellen on either Kartoffeln or Baguette. The Mais intrigues me, might add some nice sweetness to it.

I should have said I mean the „non-traditional“ Raclette with that thing where you put the pans in. I know the original is big lump of cheese with a sidegrill you just scrape the melted cheese off (which I want to do one day). Blätterteig I would have never thought off, but I also have none here and am to faul to make some.

E: also good slide into 2022 everyone

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Most underestimated raclette ingredient is Türkenbrot, imo.

Once I had no special raclette gear, but was hungry for cheese. Then I put the fancy raclette cheese on that fladenbrot, put it into the ofen on oberhitze and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr!

Also, I don't really own a Raclette, but it was family tradition to use it on Silvester long ago, so this talk about Ralettieren hits me in the nostalgia balls pretty hard. :v:

Instead, I'm making my own Ofenchips. They've been soaking for the last hour and should be ready for baking soon.