Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

PederP posted:

The outcome of the war and the social perceptions towards veterans matters a great deal here. The efforts of the state, also beyond the financial aspects, are a reflection of this. If Russia is victorious and this war ushers in a new world order and expands the borders of the federation - these veterans will be viewed far differently than if the war ends in a humiliating collapse. The veterans will have much the same trauma and proportion of awakened monsters in either case, but how they integrate back into society differ greatly in these two scenarios. Humans can to some degree repress the monstrous aspect, remold memories and lie to themselves and their closest family. And much as this applies to Russia, it applies to Ukraine. A great victory and the veterans will be viewed as heroes. A bitter defeat and they may find the return to normalcy without proper recognition of their sacrifices.

Both sides are not going to come out with a glorious victory, and it's very possible that one side may face utter defeat and the gain a pyrrhic victory. So, at least one nation will have end with a broken generation of soldiers. Ukraine will either way have thousands upon thousands of victims. Even total victory comes at a great cost when invaded with this kind of brutality. I dearly hope the west will stay true to promises of funding a Ukrainian reconstruction effort. The material reconstruction of homes and workplaces is the foundation upon which wider societal healing can occur. Without this foundation, it is more likely that revanchism and hatred will take root and be passed to future generations, paving the way for new wars.

Freezing the war would in my opinion result in the worst of both worlds - both societies, their people and their soldiers being pushed towards a cycle of hatred and war. Those who advocate for negotiations that are not predicated on Russian withdrawal are in my opinion sacrificing the future for a temporary reprieve now. This war has to end with a decisive result. Otherwise it will just reignite later and quite possibly fracture the European unity for good.

Pretty sure Ukraine's soldiers will be regarded as heroes and protectors regardless of the outcome. Russia is another story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Would just be such a crying shame if the plane carrying Lavrov on his "diplomatic mission" to Egypt got popped by an unidentified assailant.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MassiveSky posted:

Would just be such a crying shame if the plane carrying Lavrov on his "diplomatic mission" to Egypt got popped by an unidentified assailant.
You mean if it got shot down by a Russian Mig DNR Buk? Yes it would be very sad indeed.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

mobby_6kl posted:

You mean if it got shot down by a Russian Mig DNR Buk? Yes it would be very sad indeed.

We'll open and conclude an investigation in ten minutes claiming that Assad did it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Insightful post that ends with “shouldn’t have worn that dress.”

Your point?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Here's the details on the cover story Russia has finally come up with
https://twitter.com/mercoglianos/status/1551204103631638528?s=20&t=uIh3a6loCXTda5JwpcEr_g

quote:

Russian forces have destroyed a Ukrainian warship and U.S.-supplied Harpoon anti-ship missiles in the Ukrainian port of Odesa, Russian news agencies quoted the defense ministry as saying on Sunday.

“A docked Ukrainian warship and a warehouse with U.S.-supplied Harpoon anti-ship missiles were destroyed by long-range precision-guided naval missiles in Odesa seaport on the territory of a ship repair plant.”

Ignore that the video showed nothing useful hit, nor any secondary explosions like we've seen when Russian missile stockpiles have been ka-boomed.

So they lied yesterday, which everyone knew, but lying directly to the two guarantors on the agreement was A Choice. Almost like they expect there would be no consequences.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
They did hit a ship... apparently an oil/gas survey vessel.

Bruc
May 30, 2006

bad_fmr posted:

At least we can still call them dorks.

Dorcs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1551213431096852480?t=CLest6AFNepw1EJkf-eNTQ&s=19

Russian S-300 battery destroyed in Kherson region

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

MassiveSky posted:

Assassinating dignitaries usually leads to peace

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

I feel like this is taking things too far. I'm sure this war wouldn't have happened without 2014. It was a response to Ukraine's actions to no longer be in Russia's orbit. Things like Crimea were very non-pressing issues before that.

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 24, 2022

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/mschwirtz/status/1551099294081597445

I'm about halfway into this. It's pretty good. I'd post the text but there's a ton of embedded links and gifs and whatnot.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

I feel like this is taking things too far. I'm sure this war wouldn't have happened without 2014. It was a response to Ukraine's actions to no longer be in Russia's orbit. Things like Crimea were very no-issue issues before that.

And that decision to leave Russia's orbit was caused by Kremlin having their puppet President abandon the policy of making deals with EU and Russia both. 2014 would not have happened if the pending Ukraine-EU deal had not been abandoned all of a sudden. You can't fixate on a single link in the chain of events. The EU wanted Ukraine (and Russia) as a partner. Ukraine wanted Russia and the EU as partners. Putin wanted Ukraine for himself. That's actual root cause: insane nationalist ideas by an old man with megalomanic ambitions. The single biggest factor in driving Ukraine away from Russia has been Putin. Not the west. Not Ukraine itself. Even after 2014, many Ukrainians wanted to remain fully or partially tied to Russia. All of this circles back to Putin and his ilk.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

PederP posted:

And that decision to leave Russia's orbit was caused by Kremlin having their puppet President abandon the policy of making deals with EU and Russia both. 2014 would not have happened if the pending Ukraine-EU deal had not been abandoned all of a sudden. You can't fixate on a single link in the chain of events. The EU wanted Ukraine (and Russia) as a partner. Ukraine wanted Russia and the EU as partners. Putin wanted Ukraine for himself. That's actual root cause: insane nationalist ideas by an old man with megalomanic ambitions. The single biggest factor in driving Ukraine away from Russia has been Putin. Not the west. Not Ukraine itself. Even after 2014, many Ukrainians wanted to remain fully or partially tied to Russia. All of this circles back to Putin and his ilk.

Sure, I mean there is a reason why there was significant popular support for an EU alignment despite cultural ties with Russia, and Russia is responsible for this whole thing, but Ukraine wasn't a random target of opportunity, it was a country that had a revolution and tried to chart a new future for itself, a future which clashed with Russia's conception of Ukraine's position in its orbit. Saying that isn't victim blaming.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Semantics wins again!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mutata posted:

Semantics wins again!

Just think its a little uncalled for to compare someone saying that to rape apologia

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PederP posted:

The outcome of the war and the social perceptions towards veterans matters a great deal here. The efforts of the state, also beyond the financial aspects, are a reflection of this. If Russia is victorious and this war ushers in a new world order and expands the borders of the federation - these veterans will be viewed far differently than if the war ends in a humiliating collapse. The veterans will have much the same trauma and proportion of awakened monsters in either case, but how they integrate back into society differ greatly in these two scenarios. Humans can to some degree repress the monstrous aspect, remold memories and lie to themselves and their closest family. And much as this applies to Russia, it applies to Ukraine. A great victory and the veterans will be viewed as heroes. A bitter defeat and they may find the return to normalcy without proper recognition of their sacrifices.

Both sides are not going to come out with a glorious victory, and it's very possible that one side may face utter defeat and the gain a pyrrhic victory. So, at least one nation will have end with a broken generation of soldiers. Ukraine will either way have thousands upon thousands of victims. Even total victory comes at a great cost when invaded with this kind of brutality. I dearly hope the west will stay true to promises of funding a Ukrainian reconstruction effort. The material reconstruction of homes and workplaces is the foundation upon which wider societal healing can occur. Without this foundation, it is more likely that revanchism and hatred will take root and be passed to future generations, paving the way for new wars.

Freezing the war would in my opinion result in the worst of both worlds - both societies, their people and their soldiers being pushed towards a cycle of hatred and war. Those who advocate for negotiations that are not predicated on Russian withdrawal are in my opinion sacrificing the future for a temporary reprieve now. This war has to end with a decisive result. Otherwise it will just reignite later and quite possibly fracture the European unity for good.

All of this + the effects on civilians as well, especially children. A decade or so ago my home city had a very small but very visible population of young Chechens, who had probably been born either between the First and Second Chechen war on in the middle of the Second one. Seeing the haunted, rage-filled eyes of a Chechen teenage boy is something that sticks with you forever.

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

Well intended insightful points can be used to victim blame. Implying that this wouldn’t have happened if Ukraine just behaved and not tried to build alliances that could protect them from the current predation.

My point was “don’t victim blame”. Victim blaming became baked into language so sometimes it accidental slips in.

I might be projecting because a whole lot of “I support Ukraine but you just have to remember what happened 400 years ago and that’s why people are stealing washing machines” talk happens on and off the internet. It’s frustrating.

Sorry, I’ll get off my internet soapbox and go back to lurking.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Speaking to my family in, and around, Kiev on a regular basis now. No jobs, no pay, food is getting scarce. They haven't paid rent in 5 months, and the bank is allowing people to go into debt too.

I am able to send money through western union, but once it hits their bank accounts it just goes against their debts rather than be something they can use.

Has anyone been able to send any packages to Ukraine? The USPS says it's still accepting packages bound of Ukraine, but there are no guarantees.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Sundays are quiet, but here's some stuff I found interesting

Russian propaganda check in -
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1551212708825075712?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
Behind the lines infrastructure hits on Russian-controlled areas continue
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1551147303695798272?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1551097294073737218?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
I'm not sure this is how bridges are supposed to get fixed, but I'm not a structural engineer
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1551113884676886528?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
Ukrainian air force status: not dead yet
https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1551163479113039872?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
Strange sparks falling over Donetsk city last night appear to have been from Russian incendiary grads, which have also seen use by Russia in Syria - noted in the comments of this tweet
https://twitter.com/obretix/status/1551167874651357185?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
Germany doing the thing again
https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1550921211756036096?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
New Michael Kofman analysis
https://twitter.com/StratcomCentre/status/1551054573426679809?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
Selections:

quote:

“Russia still has quite a bit of equipment in storage. That's true. But it's a considerable step down in terms of quality and technological level compared to what they began the war with. The attrition issue is significant. I think it's fair to say that, in key categories, they've lost 30 percent of the active armored force,” Kofman said.

Military casualties are also a “challenge” for Ukraine, Kofman noted.

“It's not the same challenge. But nonetheless, there is a similar long-term challenge for Ukraine to avoid force degradation, because it's clear that as the war has gone on Ukraine has also lost a number of its best units that [they] are forced to replace with mobilized personnel and individuals who have limited basic training,” he explained.
“I think that HIMARS certainly is going to help Ukraine gain a degree of parity with Russian artillery, and is going to create a big problem for the Russian military, and how they organize both logistics and command and control and the degree of attrition they take on the battlefield,” predicted Kofman.
"I think the challenge for the Russian military will be if Ukraine increasingly makes use of operational level strike capabilities like HIMARs to target Russian ammunition dumps, where whether Russia has large supplies of ammo or not will no longer matter, because it won't be able to effectively get them to the battlefield, because they keep getting destroyed over time and thus it proves hard for the Russian military to then concentrate them," Kofman explained.

Russia's options to counter the HIMARS are minimal, he added.

The truck-mounted HIMARS launchers fire GPS-guided missiles capable of hitting targets up to 80 kilometers away, a distance that puts them out of reach of most Russian artillery systems.

"That's one of the biggest challenges for them, because their ability to obtain air superiority is at best localized, and their counterstrike options are limited. So, their capacity for targeting HIMARS isn’t particularly good."

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FishBulbia posted:

Assassinating dignitaries usually leads to peace

Point of order here, Franz Ferdinand was a little bit more important than the Russian foreign minister.

I know it’s hard to imagine these days, but he was heir to the nearly absolute throne of the Austria-Hungarian Empire, while the current Emperor was in his late 70s. So Franz Ferdinand’s assassination was literally the assassination of the near future head of state for the Habsburg Empire.

With that said, while the Russian Foreign Minister may be considered a legitimate target by Ukraine, the International Criminal Court disagrees.

Furthermore, such assassinations aren’t just terrible foreign policy for a country like the United States, it would actually violate federal law in the form of the still active Executive Order 11905.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of Lavrov - he made an interesting comment during his meeting in Cairo today
https://twitter.com/shakirov2036/status/1551243647290671108?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA
Machine translated

First article, from 19 April

quote:

“We are not going to change the regime in Ukraine, we have talked about this many times. We want Ukrainians to decide how they want to live on. We want people to have freedom of choice,” he said.

Commenting on the withdrawal of the Russian Armed Forces from positions in northern Ukraine after the talks between the Russian and Ukrainian delegations held in Istanbul on March 29, Lavrov noted that Russia "as a gesture of goodwill changed the configuration of troops in the Chernihiv and Kyiv regions, but this was not appreciated." “Immediately, there was a production in Bucha,” the minister pointed out. “This story was played out in the same way as the story with the Skripals, with the Malaysian Boeing, Navalny, Litvinenko. It was played out and immediately removed from view when hard facts were presented ".

The journalist of the TV channel also noted that new interim mayors were appointed in Melitopol and Berdyansk, and asked Lavrov if the information that these cities were going to hold a referendum on secession from Ukraine was true. The head of the Russian Foreign Ministry replied that "holding a referendum is democracy at its apotheosis, people speak out for what they want."

The minister continued that people in Ukraine had suffered for eight years, neo-Nazis forbade them to speak Russian, keep the memory of the heroes of the Great Patriotic War, and hold parades. "Now these people have expelled the neo-Nazis and want to say: 'Now we will decide who will lead here, this is our mayor, our legislative assembly.'

According to Lavrov, Russia finds it impossible to tolerate the permissiveness of Western countries, which incited Ukraine to Russophobia.

“I am not saying that we can ignore these victims, but I want to emphasize that all this happened precisely when the Russians decided to protect ethnic Russians who were citizens of Ukraine and who faced discrimination. Nobody objected when Rakku was just razed to the ground, the city was shelled, there was colossal damage," he said. "The same can be said about attacks on targets in Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq. Of course, it is always a tragedy when people die, but it is impossible to tolerate such a situation when our Western colleagues claim that they can do whatever they please and that they can encourage the Kiev government to show Russophobia.

Latest comments from today 24 July

quote:

The minister said that the Russian Federation "is sorry for the Ukrainian people," who deserves "much better."

"We feel sorry for Ukrainian history, which is crumbling before our eyes, and we feel sorry for those who succumbed to the state propaganda of the Kiev regime and those who support it, aimed at making Ukraine become the eternal enemy of Russia," Lavrov said during a meeting in Cairo with permanent representatives of the states of the League of Arab States. The head of the Russian Foreign Ministry stressed that these attempts would not be successful.

Lavrov said that the Ukrainian and Russian people "will continue to live together." He pointed out that Russia would help the Ukrainian people get rid of the "absolutely anti-national and anti-historical" regime.

More of his comments from today, from another TASS article -https://tass.ru/ekonomika/15296713?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US

quote:

“We have no prejudice against resuming negotiations on a wider range of issues [with Ukraine], but it is not up to us, because the Ukrainian authorities, from the president to his numerous advisers, say that no negotiations not until Ukraine defeats Russia on the battlefield," he said," Lavrov added.

Russia reaffirmed to Egypt the commitment of grain exporters to the fulfillment of all obligations.

"We reaffirmed the commitment of Russian exporters of grain products to the fulfillment of all their obligations," he said.

Russia hopes that UN Secretary General António Guterres will be able to resolve the issue of sanctions that hinder the implementation of operations with grain from the Russian Federation, Lavrov said.

"Those illegitimate sanctions that were imposed [against Russia] and which prevented the implementation of operations with Russian grain, including insurance, including the calls of our ships to foreign ports and foreign ships to Russian ports. Now, after signing the agreements in Istanbul on the initiative of the UN Secretary General, he volunteered to seek the removal of these illegitimate restrictions. We will hope that he will succeed," he said.
The issue with the export of Russian grain

Some Western countries tried to postpone the issue of Russian grain exports until later, Lavrov said.

"A corresponding document was signed in Istanbul a few days ago. Moreover, when it came to completing the work, some of our Western colleagues began to try to do everything to solve only the problem of Ukrainian grain, while issues related to the supply of grain from the Russian Federation to world markets, the volume which is much higher than Ukrainian stocks, to be postponed for later,” Lavrov said. period. This was a direct violation of the idea expressed by the Secretary General himself, and in the end we insisted that both issues be resolved in the package."
Batch settlement format

Russia insisted that the issues of the export of Ukrainian grain and the export of Russian agricultural products be resolved in a package format, Lavrov said.

“In the end, we insisted that both issues be resolved in the package. Issues related to Ukrainian grain will be resolved through the creation of a coordination center in Istanbul, it will be guaranteed that the Ukrainians will clear their territorial waters and allow ships to leave from there, and on Russia and Turkey will ensure their security with their naval forces throughout their passage on the high seas," he said.
Resolving the food crisis

To resolve the food crisis, the West needs to remove the obstacles it has set up for Russian food and fertilizer exports. This was stated on Sunday at a press conference by Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.

“As for food, here, if our Western colleagues take the current situation so close to their hearts, they must remove the obstacles created by themselves. They have been saying for many months that Russia is cunning and no sanctions have been imposed on food and fertilizers. such, then yes, there were no sanctions against him, the sanctions were imposed instantly against those companies that insure food supplies, against companies that provide payments for food," Lavrov said.
Vessels in the ports of Ukraine

About 70 foreign ships from more than 15 countries are blocked in Ukrainian ports, Lavrov said.

"There are still almost 70 foreign ships from 16 or 17 countries as hostages, including, by the way, one ship blocked in Ukrainian ports due to mine danger, which is supposed to bring food to Egypt," he said. Lavrov.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Well intended insightful points can be used to victim blame. Implying that this wouldn’t have happened if Ukraine just behaved and not tried to build alliances that could protect them from the current predation.

My point was “don’t victim blame”. Victim blaming became baked into language so sometimes it accidental slips in.

I might be projecting because a whole lot of “I support Ukraine but you just have to remember what happened 400 years ago and that’s why people are stealing washing machines” talk happens on and off the internet. It’s frustrating.

Sorry, I’ll get off my internet soapbox and go back to lurking.

I see, thank you for clarifying – and don't condemn yourself to lurking, if you want to post.

For what it's worth, I don't think you and Antigravitas have a disagreement over whether if Ukraine is to blame here for anything. All that Antigravitas says in the post you responded to me seems to be:

1) Russia's attitude to the world is a problem for Russia to solve on its own, and they should be kept at a stretched hand's distance until they do that.

2) Ukraine has been brought to the precipice of ruin by the war, and EU has an obligation of civil intervention to arm Ukraine with instruments for staving off the potential fall.

3) Ukraine may experience political turmoil when their European aspirations receive a reality check from European politicians saying “not so fast”, who are hesitant to admit Ukraine before rule-of-law and veto deadlock concerns are addressed. That check may arrive even after Ukraine has proven to the Commission that it fulfils all statutory requirements for becoming an EU member state. It would be a colossal fuckup on the EU's end, if this check ends up with Ukraine spinning out of EU's orbit.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

KitConstantine posted:

Strange sparks falling over Donetsk city last night appear to have been from Russian incendiary grads, which have also seen use by Russia in Syria - noted in the comments of this tweet
https://twitter.com/obretix/status/1551167874651357185?s=20&t=-yA3bzmQk4b7mfXmsyZ_CA

the 9M22S is 50 year old tech, so in theory Ukraine should have them too. I've only ever seen footage of Russia using it, though. Maybe someone set the fuzes wrong and they went off early?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

KitConstantine posted:

quote:

"We feel sorry for Ukrainian history, which is crumbling before our eyes, and we feel sorry for those who succumbed to the state propaganda of the Kiev regime and those who support it, aimed at making Ukraine become the eternal enemy of Russia," Lavrov said during a meeting in Cairo with permanent representatives of the states of the League of Arab States. The head of the Russian Foreign Ministry stressed that these attempts would not be successful.

Certainly not. Russia has been doing a stellar job of it all by themselves.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Nenonen posted:

I personally have stopped using the word 'Ukrainian', I call them the Rohirrim now. There are no Poles to me either, those guys are dwarves.

Yeah, Poland being Rohirrim would be Clancychat.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

spacetoaster posted:

Speaking to my family in, and around, Kiev on a regular basis now. No jobs, no pay, food is getting scarce. They haven't paid rent in 5 months, and the bank is allowing people to go into debt too.

I am able to send money through western union, but once it hits their bank accounts it just goes against their debts rather than be something they can use.

Has anyone been able to send any packages to Ukraine? The USPS says it's still accepting packages bound of Ukraine, but there are no guarantees.

Yeah, though the military situation has somewhat improved it seems economic stuff is starting to compound itself, outside from the people I know in the south, i've been keeping track with the puzata hata menues

they do have mountain dew though now

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

KitConstantine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

Flavahbeast posted:

the 9M22S is 50 year old tech, so in theory Ukraine should have them too. I've only ever seen footage of Russia using it, though. Maybe someone set the fuzes wrong and they went off early?

Bursting high in the air is optimal for battlefield illumination. Perhaps if Ukrainians were using smallish undetectable drones that only have daylight camera then using illumination shells allows them to find targets for HIMARS at night. But any guess is as good as mine.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://opinions.glavred.info/most-...i-10394258.html

Interesting blog post from advisor to minister of defense of Ukraine about how Ramstein meeting work and evolve. He feels Ramstein has the potential to become a working mechanism to respond to cryses such as Russo-Ukranian war when the UN (lol) fails and is outside of NATO framework technically

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Interesting thread on the thermite over Donetsk City.
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1551181711706316801

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Atreiden posted:

Interesting thread on the thermite over Donetsk City.
https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1551181711706316801

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1551181730811416576

This is wrong. This is far far from the first time this has happened since 2014. Thee west side of Donetsk city literally is the front line

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

FishBulbia posted:

This is wrong. This is far far from the first time this has happened since 2014. Thee west side of Donetsk city literally is the front line

For what it's worth, he does mention later down that Ukraine have used them at least once in 2014.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Probably to ensure that the gas keeps flowing. At this point it all makes sense - Scholz and Putin (or their respective emissaries) have an agreement that Germany will not greenlight the export of certain weapon systems for which Russia will keep supply enough natural gas so that the House of Cards Scholz built with the Uniper bailout and the continued shielding of the German consumer from extrem gas price hikes, which would be necessary to get the required savings in consumption.

There simply is no other explenation given that these are systems directly delivered by the industry, which the Bundeswehr doesn't even use.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

A few pages back we were talking about how frequently Russia would need to repair their artillery barrels to avoid losing too much accuracy.

Turns out if you just don't repair them, their inaccuracy becomes infinite

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1551294834027249664

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

GaussianCopula posted:

Probably to ensure that the gas keeps flowing. At this point it all makes sense - Scholz and Putin (or their respective emissaries) have an agreement that Germany will not greenlight the export of certain weapon systems for which Russia will keep supply enough natural gas so that the House of Cards Scholz built with the Uniper bailout and the continued shielding of the German consumer from extrem gas price hikes, which would be necessary to get the required savings in consumption.

There simply is no other explenation given that these are systems directly delivered by the industry, which the Bundeswehr doesn't even use.

The funniest thing is Germans in this thread who are genuinly upset "why are you so drat focused on us sucking Russia's dick! All this noise, Ukraine thingie doesn't let us please them well. Can't we just do it in peace which is our contractual obligation!"

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 24, 2022

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Sekenr posted:

The funniest thing is Germans in this thread who are genuinly upset "why are you so drat focused on us sucking Russia's dick! All this noise, Ukraine thingie doesn't let us please them well. Can't we just do it in peace which is our contractual obligation!"

To be real, who wouldn't be focused on Germany sucking Russia's dick? The sheer bizzareness of it alone!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Meiers Goldbrick posted:

Herblock had this covered.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yureina posted:

To be real, who wouldn't be focused on Germany sucking Russia's dick? The sheer bizzareness of it alone!

Historically it’s not unprecedented when it comes to European invasions

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Looks fine to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Thread rules updated.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: Thread moderation update 8 :siren:

In the light of the recent debacle, I've given some thought to shoring up post quality in this thread. From now on:
  • Casual GBS-style (poo poo)posting, however well intended, is explicitly discouraged. Joke posts will also need to meet a higher standard of funny to survive.
  • Any uses “orc” to describe Russians, other than to express exasperation about Russian war criminals on a specific occasion, are explicitly forbidden. The exception is meant for one-off posts when you have a good reason to say so – use it at your own risk.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 25, 2022