Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Bloop posted:

Data: I am from .... South America

KIRK: My friend is obviously Chinese. I see you've noticed the ears. They're actually easy to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The Bloop posted:

Guess remans weren't real after all

Follow back pro reman

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Moving from DS9 to TNG, I'm kinda surprised by how funny it is. When I saw snippets as a kid TNG always seemed very serious and po-faced. There's definitely an element of that, but Picard is surprisingly playful at times. Best gag is when his brother is needling him about synthahol being lovely and awful to drink and PIcard hits back with "Nonsense, I find it deepens one's appreciation for the real thing quite admirably"

Also when everyone's off-duty they have these baggy shirts that look like something Van Gogh would wear, and they look comfy as hell.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Picard is surprisingly playful at times.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Have you ever gotten high.... on time????

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Case in point - I've just go to S4E9, where Wesley is late answering a summons, and Picard gives him a great big chewing out in the middle of the bridge just so he can slip in a bit about how Wes got accepted into the Academy.

I really like those moments, where Picard is deploying all the formality and hierarchy of Starfleet, but with loads of friendly and jovial subtext. Like in S1 when Geordi is commanding the ship while Riker and Picard are loving about on the planet of automated kill-bot salesmen:

quote:

"Relinquishing command, Captain."
"As you were, Lieutenant."
"Sir?"
"Mr. La Forge, when I left this ship, it was in one piece. I would appreciate your returning it to me in the same condition. Do you concur, Number One?"
"Absolutely, sir."

It's just wonderful. He's making a friendly jibe about Geordi splitting up the ship, but also signalling respect and trust in Geordi's performance. DS9 never quite managed to thread that needle with Sisko - he was either being very earnest, or kind of an rear end in a top hat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Case in point - I've just go to S4E9, where Wesley is late answering a summons, and Picard gives him a great big chewing out in the middle of the bridge just so he can slip in a bit about how Wes got accepted into the Academy.

I really like those moments, where Picard is deploying all the formality and hierarchy of Starfleet, but with loads of friendly and jovial subtext. Like in S1 when Geordi is commanding the ship while Riker and Picard are loving about on the planet of automated kill-bot salesmen:

It's just wonderful. He's making a friendly jibe about Geordi splitting up the ship, but also signalling respect and trust in Geordi's performance. DS9 never quite managed to thread that needle with Sisko - he was either being very earnest, or kind of an rear end in a top hat.

There were a lot of those, especially early on. I like the scene at the end of Samaritan Snare when the entire bridge claps as Picard steps out of the turbolift and he responds with a very early-Picard "I beg your pardon!". I like to think that secretly, he was happy that his crew appreciated him enough to be glad he was back in command, but he couldn't drop his captain's bearing to show it.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Strom Cuzewon posted:

DS9 never quite managed to thread that needle with Sisko - he was either being very earnest, or kind of an rear end in a top hat.

That's interesting, I felt the opposite when I watched DS9. Sisko had that "shouting with a twinkle in his eye" vibe down for me. I wonder if it's to do with what you saw first? I watched DS9 second, but then I also haven't gone through TNG for a long time, so I may just not really remember to compare.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Sisko wasn’t anyone’s friend, he was their commanding officer first and foremost. That’s what made him a better leader than Picard. He had fun little asides with his subordinates when it was appropriate, but he wasn’t their babysitter or their father figure.

That’s also why Worf is so much better under Sisko.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
TBH I don't think Sisko is well-characterized overall which leads to a lot of different reads as people try to consolidate a clear vision for the character. Sometimes Picard is a butthole but you get his deal very easily. Similarly, Kirk is a beautiful, kind, and intelligent man and I want to touch his face

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Kirk is a beautiful, kind, and intelligent man and I want to touch his face

It glistens

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sisko wasn’t anyone’s friend, he was their commanding officer first and foremost. That’s what made him a better leader than Picard. He had fun little asides with his subordinates when it was appropriate, but he wasn’t their babysitter or their father figure.

That’s also why Worf is so much better under Sisko.

This boils down to "Which Captain Was Better" chat, but I don't think Sisko was a better leader. In fact I would say he was an outright worse leader in a lot of respects: He wasn't as smart, had values and morality almost as flexible as Janeways and often butted heads with people when he didn't have to, just to maintain his reputation as a hardass (which always made him come off as weaker, to me).

On the other hand, Sisko wasn't a protagonist/leader for a Star Trek show. He was a protagonist for a series about war and its consequences with Star Trek stuff in it, and in that role he, like most of the characters in the show, were perfectly crafted for the role. A brawler who knew what was needed to keep his station running and to whom people could probably relate.

And I am also fairly sure he knew how to cook better than anyone in Starfleet to that date.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sisko was better at dissembling than any of the other captains.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Worf arguably committed treason while under Sisko's command

Picard wouldn't have let that Risa poo poo fly

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unless it was Data, then Picard would let it fly without even a slap on the wrist like when Data hijacked the entire ship and endangered the life of a poisoned child.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Every Starfleet officer gets a couple of freebies for going bugfuck insane and committing capital crimes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlamingLiberal posted:

To be fair doesn't Sisko basically say "well you're gonna skate but you can kiss any career growth goodbye"?

As if anything could stop Worf... other than a newly discovered strong fighting guy, of course. Or a barrel.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

evilmiera posted:

And I am also fairly sure he knew how to cook better than anyone in Starfleet to that date.

How quickly we forget Riker's 'omelette'.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Nessus posted:

To be fair doesn't Sisko basically say "well you're gonna skate but you can kiss any career growth goodbye"?

As if anything could stop Worf... other than a newly discovered strong fighting guy, of course. Or a barrel.

That was the time he abandoned a vital mission because Jadzia got hurt.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think everyone agrees that was a really weird episode and we don't know why it was okay for Worf to decide to be a terrorist for a few hours and then go back to work.

And yeah by the end of DS9 Worf has used up his rope with Starfleet and is never going to advance beyond Commander.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

I think everyone agrees that was a really weird episode and we don't know why it was okay for Worf to decide to be a terrorist for a few hours and then go back to work.
Boys will be boys

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey you guys know that runabout rear sleeping/seating area that had a set in that one episode of TNG but was never seen again all through DS9's run? The reason you never saw that set on DS9 is that it is became the conference room on Voyager.

Amazon Prime's X-Ray feature is a little obsessive for TNG.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey you guys know that runabout rear sleeping/seating area that had a set in that one episode of TNG but was never seen again all through DS9's run? The reason you never saw that set on DS9 is that it is became the conference room on Voyager.

A set specifically made for a key DS9 location stolen for Voyager is pretty much the most immediately post-TNG Star Trek thing I could think of.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At the end of TNG, it's shown that Picard will still have tabs on all his former crewmembers and can easily seek out all of them if he needs to, even long after retirement. At the end of DS9, Sisko fucks off to another plane of existence leaving no forwarding address to any of his crew or even his wife and son, never to be seen again. This typifies their relationships with other people.

It was weird that there were multiple shuttles of different sizes and Geordi got an extra-small one specially made for being kidnapped by Romulans.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Angry Salami posted:

Worf couldn’t get enough of that ‘Owon egg omelette.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Worf also loved the Cardassian replicator food when they visited DS9. Maybe that's why he volunteered to stay?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Arglebargle III posted:

Is that in that episode where Picard makes the smiley face on the warp core breach?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
So I've been expanding my consciousness tonight, and because I like Star Trek, I got to thinking about drugs in Star Trek. Roddenberry enjoyed expanding his consciousness (though I think it started contracting once he fell into booze and coke), so what's the deal with that ep where Tasha tells Wesley that drugs are bad, mmm'k? That was s01, right? Wasn't he still in pretty much total control over the show for the whole first season at least?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

So I've been expanding my consciousness tonight, and because I like Star Trek, I got to thinking about drugs in Star Trek. Roddenberry enjoyed expanding his consciousness (though I think it started contracting once he fell into booze and coke), so what's the deal with that ep where Tasha tells Wesley that drugs are bad, mmm'k? That was s01, right? Wasn't he still in pretty much total control over the show for the whole first season at least?

Gene had a lot of swing, but portraying drugs in a positive light on american TV in 1987?
A man can only get away with so much

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

mehall posted:

Gene had a lot of swing, but portraying drugs in a positive light on american TV in 1987?
A man can only get away with so much

Well of course, but did he actually endorse it or just sit that meeting out, or...? I suppose it would also have looked bad to say, like, hey let's just not portray drugs at all. It least they didn't make that cowboy dude in The Neutral Zone look like a total loser. They made him pretty cool, in fact.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I've watched a few episodes of TNG and so far my favourite bit was when worf charged some napoleon era soldiers, gets stabbed, and then the kid goes to help worf while completely ignoring the soldiers and gets bayoneted in the back.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CODChimera posted:

I've watched a few episodes of TNG and so far my favourite bit was when worf charged some napoleon era soldiers, gets stabbed, and then the kid goes to help worf while completely ignoring the soldiers and gets bayoneted in the back.

Watch more TNG, you'll come to treasure that moment.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

Get me in touch with whoever made all that Klingon food Riker had before he went on that exchange program. It all looked delicious.

Mostly since a lot of it was just Earth foods prepared in weird ways, like chicken fingers with the middle claw chopped off and dyed with sauce.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FlamingLiberal posted:

Picard: Commander, what happened on Risa...

Worf: Sir, I must explain

Picard: Stays on Risa
(winks)

Picard: You know the prime directive, but this is directive zero. The unwritten directive

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

On the topic of Worf getting away with poo poo, remember when he quit Starfleet to fight in a Klingon civil war and they had a big farewell ceremony where everyone lined up, and Picard said he could never rejoin?

Then they let him rejoin the next episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Worf was a pioneer in combining terrorism and tourism. Tourrorism.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Is Worf even still with Starfleet if he's now the Federation ambassador to the Klingons?

Edit: Also I thought the reason that nothing happens for what he did on Risa was because they didn't press charges being all "whatever gets your jollies off :v:".

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 22, 2020

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

EvilTaytoMan posted:

Is Worf even still with Starfleet if he's now the Federation ambassador to the Klingons?

Edit: Also I thought the reason that nothing happens for what he did on Risa was because they didn't press charges being all "whatever gets your jollies off :v:".

Someone in the Picard thread said that according to the Picard show prequel comics he’s Captain of the Enterprise now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

marktheando posted:

Someone in the Picard thread said that according to the Picard show prequel comics he’s Captain of the Enterprise now.
I guess he stopped blowing up transport ships for a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Worf just followed the old British Tradition of leaving the service for a few years to be a higher rank in another nation/star empire's service. Once you get back your old service would maybe put you back into line for promotion if you covered yourself in enough glory.