Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

I haven't been following the thing but is this actually true? What exactly is the deal with Nintendo advertising products and then being completely unable to meet demands, repeatedly? I mean you'd think they'd have a good idea of how much of a thing to produce by now

edit: also just hook a PC up to your TV and emulate whatever

Nintendo is dumb. That is all.

I can't say they're generating artificial hype because the m.o. There is to drop your hidden stock at once after the busy season. And the closer we get to the Switch the more the hype will die.

They said they were legit surprised that the thing sold 6 months worth of Wii U's in a week. But you know that surprise doesn't have to be there if you took advantage of, I don't know, some kind of system that lets customers express their desire to buy something? Almost like a sale prior to release, a kind of prerelease purchase. Is there a name for this fantasy system I'm describing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

al-azad posted:

Is there a name for this fantasy system I'm describing?
Sony PlayStation.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm re-playing Skyward Sword and holy moly the controls are not good. I appreciate what they were going for, but the Wii controller just isn't good enough at recognizing my movements.

Wikipedia posted:

The implementation of Wii MotionPlus proved problematic for the developers, to the point where it was nearly discarded. 

It's not just me, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I thought they weren't great but were alright

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I have heard that it heavily depends on if you have a Wiimote Plus or a separated unit, and also if it's real or not.

I had a terrible time with a separate WM+, for what it's worth.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I liked the swordplay and controls were fine except the diving tutorial I failed literally 19 times. I used the gold controller that came with the special edition.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Skyward Sword's controls were perfectly fine for me. Now, the game you used those controls to play on the other hand...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

al-azad posted:

I liked the swordplay and controls were fine except the diving tutorial I failed literally 19 times. I used the gold controller that came with the special edition.

Yeah I have that controller too and never had a problem with the controls.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm re-playing Skyward Sword and holy moly the controls are not good. I appreciate what they were going for, but the Wii controller just isn't good enough at recognizing my movements.
One huge thing about controlling Skyward Sword for me was that if the game called for, say, a sword slash towards the right, I'd more or less unconsciously move the controller a bit to the left first in order to swing right, but the game would recognize that small movement as a swing to the left and I'd utterly fail at whatever right-swing task it had set me. I had to train myself to move only in the direction it demanded directly from my "neutral" position and that kind of worked, but also was the exact opposite of the intuitiveness motion controls were supposed to give us. I never did finish Skyward Sword because the controls were just so annoying.

This isn't very retro but today I got hold of a new copy of Nier - I always thought it was a semi-hard game to get a hold of, and there it was sitting on a store shelf where it had to have been for six years. Not a really great find, but I sure didn't expect to see it in the wild, much less in a store I'd been to lots of times before.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There were bandwidth issues with the MotionPlus dongle, in particular when used together with a nunchuck.

Also I'm pretty sure the Zelda 2 chip shortage was a real thing, though wanting to space out releases also played a part.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
I used a fake wiimote + aside from losing calibration occasionally it wasnt too bad, still not my favourite controls though by a long shot. I do have a legitimate remote and motion plus addon and I felt that was worse, might have been the balance being off though.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
These posts about the Wiimote remind me of all the terrible jokes people made in 2006 about the controller having sex toy attachments.

I remember the dumbest poo poo and only suicide will cure me of it.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
What if you remembering the dumbest poo poo reminds others of the dumbest poo poo they remember? I still remember the VG Cats rendition of the sex toy attachment joke. And the reaction to the name change from Revolution to Wii on Game Spot's web show called On the Spot. I don't know why these things are in my head either.

So anyone make any collecting goals for this year? I think I'm going to stop impulse buying cheap games looking for a hidden gem, I've got so many mediocre ones clogging up the collection that I'm still cleaning them out now. Perhaps this will be the year I put a bit more of the collection on display too just so I have better access for actually playing it. And of course blah blah work on the backlog blah blah spend less money blah blah etc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

More PS1 games is my plan for 2017, got a big list of stuff I want to hunt down from childhood stuff I loved to the big stuff I never actually played like the Spyro games.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

njsykora posted:

to the big stuff I never actually played like the Spyro games.

oh man

for my money, the Spyro games might be the best games on the PS1, and are hands loving down the best platformers

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's not that they're unable to. I'm pretty sure they deliberately produce slightly less than they plan to sell to create this kind of ridiculous demand, typically.

Nah, this is purely them loving up - they didn't slightly understock it to keep demand/prices high, they massively understocked it and made little effort to ship additional units before xmas or to keep scalpers from immediately buying whatever meagre allotments they sent out. The demand will definitely be lessened now that the holidays are over but it wasn't a deliberate ploy and Nintendo didn't cash in on the hype in the way they would have liked to, I'm sure.

Japan got more FC Minis than the US got NES Minis, apparently. Lord knows how many went to Europe.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

oh man

for my money, the Spyro games might be the best games on the PS1, and are hands loving down the best platformers

I'm the biggest PS1 basher around and even I like Spyro.

Though the camera is terrible. And the controls tend to be a bit wonky.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just don't play the PS2 era Spyro games. They really went downhill.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Random Stranger posted:

A good choice. Now drive that train like a pro.

Which game are you playing, BTW?

I only own the first one so I'm gonna start with that. But I have an SD card in my PS2 so I'll maybe move to final pretty quickly. What would you recommend to a first time conductor?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

More PS1 games is my plan for 2017, got a big list of stuff I want to hunt down from childhood stuff I loved to the big stuff I never actually played like the Spyro games.

The first one is rough. The second pulls a Donkey Kong Country 2. And yes, don't go beyond the PS1 trilogy.

Also secret move I don't think they ever tell you in Spyro 2 and 3 is that holding L1 + R1 makes the firefly point out the next gem.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fishmech posted:

Just don't play the PS2 era Spyro games. They really went downhill.

oh yeah, what I said solely applies to the PS1 ones, everything past those is hot garbo.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mikeycp posted:

I only own the first one so I'm gonna start with that. But I have an SD card in my PS2 so I'll maybe move to final pretty quickly. What would you recommend to a first time conductor?

Final is the best game in the series so it's what I recommend people play. Plenty of lines including the return of some of the best ones in the series, routes that can be complicated, and not arcade difficult.

3 is also a good pick due to the lower difficulty.

1 and 2 are fine but they are arcade hard in all of the ports. 1 is strictly just the arcade game content, while 2 has a lot more lines.

I do not recommend the Professional games for a newcomer (the title is kind of a give away). I remember the first time I started up Professional 2 thinking I'd enjoy a quick ten minute line on one of the early stages. And it kept going. And going. And then I checked the route map and found that it had thirty-five stops and a drive time of about three hours. The routes are long, technical, and they throw you in the deep end fast.

Ryojohen is good, but it's really different from most DdG games. It's based on trolleys and you have to deal with things like traffic.

Shinkansen is the one that I'd never recommend; easily the worst in the series. Cruelly, it's also the most expensive.

Forgot to mention Train Simulator + Densha de Go which can use DdG 3 mechanics with video of the lines. The Train Simulator series is a bit hit or miss depending on which line and I'm not sure they can use the controller anyway (don't get the Osaka one; video doesn't do you a lot of good when 10km of the line is underground).

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 3, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Nah, this is purely them loving up - they didn't slightly understock it to keep demand/prices high, they massively understocked it and made little effort to ship additional units before xmas or to keep scalpers from immediately buying whatever meagre allotments they sent out. The demand will definitely be lessened now that the holidays are over but it wasn't a deliberate ploy and Nintendo didn't cash in on the hype in the way they would have liked to, I'm sure.

Japan got more FC Minis than the US got NES Minis, apparently. Lord knows how many went to Europe.

I think the issue is the same as it's been for years. Nintendo's not buying enough shipping from their factories to America, and they don't seem to care to upgrade anytime soon.

The whole reason we didn't get the small New 3DS model was entirely to try and help with this problem.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elliotw2 posted:

I have heard that it heavily depends on if you have a Wiimote Plus or a separated unit, and also if it's real or not.

I had a terrible time with a separate WM+, for what it's worth.

I played it with the gold WM+mote that came with it and the controls were still really bad and required constant resetting.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
If you like stuff like Spyro and the other PS1 platformers, give Muppet Monster Adventure a shot. It's a far better game than the concept deserves and it's a lot of fun.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

From what I'm seeing the controller I got might not work with Final. Can you confirm? If so do you know which ones mine will work with?

justdan
Mar 31, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Anecdotal but here in Denmark each retailer got exactly 1 copy to sell. Put in an order for one now and you'll be lucky to get one by summer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

justdan posted:

Anecdotal but here in Denmark each retailer got exactly 1 copy to sell. Put in an order for one now and you'll be lucky to get one by summer.

The Big W's (department store chain) in Australia got something like 25 NES Mini's and a single NES Controller as their store allotments.

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007

mikeycp posted:

From what I'm seeing the controller I got might not work with Final. Can you confirm? If so do you know which ones mine will work with?

Hello, fellow train nerds. The ps1 controller will only work on the ps1 games and a few ps2 ones, specifically Densha 3 and Shinkansen. For Final you're gonna need the ps2 usb controller, which is quite a bit more expensive than the ps1 controller.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

mikeycp posted:

I did it Random Stranger. I bought this traintroller.

Looking forward to doing badly at the hard train games this weekend!

You know how sometimes you never knew that a thing existed, but as soon as you find out that it does exist, you immediately know that it is something you've always needed?

This is that thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

You know how sometimes you never knew that a thing existed, but as soon as you find out that it does exist, you immediately know that it is something you've always needed?

This is that thing.

While they're less flexible than the PS model, it's significantly cheaper to get the Dreamcast, N64, or Saturn models.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

While they're less flexible than the PS model, it's significantly cheaper to get the Dreamcast, N64, or Saturn models.

Have they gone up in price? Got mine for like $50 or $60CAD boxed and shipped to Canada, with a copy of DDG2 and the original box for the set. That was a few years ago, mind you, I think shortly after the SA-GCCX subtitling of the Densha De Go episode, coincidentally.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
PS1 platformer torture mode: back to back runthroughts of Spyro 1, Crash 1, Croc, Gex 2, 40 Winks, Bugs Bunny in Time, Bubsy 3D, Toy Story 2, Blasto, Jersey Devil.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Electromax posted:

PS1 platformer torture mode: back to back runthroughts of Spyro 1, Crash 1, Croc, Gex 2, 40 Winks, Bugs Bunny in Time, Bubsy 3D, Toy Story 2, Blasto, Jersey Devil.

You forgot ReBoot.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Discount Viscount posted:

You forgot ReBoot.

I always get myself hyped up to play ReBoot, and then I get to the first level and can't figure out what the hell is even happening.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mikeycp posted:

I did it Random Stranger. I bought this traintroller.

Looking forward to doing badly at the hard train games this weekend!

amateur

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Electromax posted:

Eh, Crash is basically a 2D game given how limited movement is. And I won't complain if someone held a gun up to my head to play Spyro, Gex 2, Bugs Bunny, or Toy Story 2. 40 Winks or Blasto? Blow my loving brains out.

Hell Mode: Rascal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

d0s posted:

amateur

2/10, appears to be missing the cavity for your pocket watch.

On that note, if you're obsessed with Japanese train games and are ever in Japan, I recommend on your inevitable long train ride (I don't know if bullet trains do this but really you should get on a normal speed train at some point) to sit in the frontmost car and look at the train driver, it's an interesting spectacle, almost looks like they're having a weird seizure (or playing a Fotoplayer) cross-checking a printed list of "it should be this time [accurate to the second] when you cross this landmark" and adjusting their speed as required to nail the arrival times dead-on.

univbee fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 3, 2017

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I like Toy Story 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Visitor K posted:

Hello, fellow train nerds. The ps1 controller will only work on the ps1 games and a few ps2 ones, specifically Densha 3 and Shinkansen. For Final you're gonna need the ps2 usb controller, which is quite a bit more expensive than the ps1 controller.

drat. Well, at least I get to play 3 and also harder ones some while I save up for the expensive controller.

• Locked thread