Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Apparently I have leet ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
Does anyone else find it a bit too easy to stack happiness (as egalitarian)?
I always end up with planets that have 85%+ happiness. And that's without planet modifiers or edicts. Policies and living standards seem to add to this a lot. Then there are the buildings iirc too.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Guilliman posted:

Does anyone else find it a bit too easy to stack happiness (as egalitarian)?
I always end up with planets that have 85%+ happiness. And that's without planet modifiers or edicts. Policies and living standards seem to add to this a lot. Then there are the buildings iirc too.

Yeah, we're doing a balance pass on happiness for 1.6.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I am finally not a huge rear end in a top hat and got invited to a federation after curb stomping one of my neighbors. This only happened after winning a liberation war against another neighbor instead of just demanding their poo poo. Liberation wars seem good, but influence is a super rare commodity for me. I can't just keep liberating an visualizing people. I have no way to integrate. What is the strategy here?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Liberate and add to Federation instead. You get less control because Federations are still crappy, but it saves on influence.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I had to remove these guys. The Weird Arthro mod doesn't appear to actually be working for me.

Don't worry about it, I understand.

I spend many hours trying to find out what went wrong, but couldn't find anything. (It's kind of hard to find a bug you can't trigger.) According to my comment section on Steam, every portrait mod I make seems to not work for about 3% of the users. Why? gently caress it, no idea. :shrug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am finally not a huge rear end in a top hat and got invited to a federation after curb stomping one of my neighbors. This only happened after winning a liberation war against another neighbor instead of just demanding their poo poo. Liberation wars seem good, but influence is a super rare commodity for me. I can't just keep liberating an visualizing people. I have no way to integrate. What is the strategy here?
Liberate a couple of planets, spend the rest of your warpoints on humiliate and stop atrocities (if applicable). 200 influence is enough to vassalise the liberated with some spare leftover.

Also grab the habitat ascendancy perk and start replacing all your outposts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Habitats give a super low amount of borders though. I sure hope that changes in the future, because as it is, they're just science/power stations for ~7000 minerals :v:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Will there be cosmetic DLC alongside the Adams patch?

The thing preventing them from doing Aquatic or Robotic portrait packs is that portraits can't enforce traits. Seems like a decent QoL change that Adams could have. The ability to tie traits to portraits, and the ability to choose what synthetic portrait to use when using synthetic ascension would allow them to do a robotic portrait pack, and an eventual aquatic one down the road.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Holy dogshit, I just got almost 6k unity for finding and scanning Cybrex Alpha, at a time when the next tradition cost is 1500.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Truga posted:

Habitats give a super low amount of borders though. I sure hope that changes in the future, because as it is, they're just science/power stations for ~7000 minerals :v:

Pretty sure Wiz said this was by design, they're that way because they're for filling in your existing borders, not expanding into new ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could add a "border garrison" habitat building which increases border push with maintenence costs. Possibly cutting the science/energy output of the site but increasing military strength.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

You could add a "border garrison" habitat building which increases border push with maintenence costs. Possibly cutting the science/energy output of the site but increasing military strength.

I am seriously thinking of doing something like this in my planet modifier mod trough an event.
On completion of a habitat you get an event prompting you to chose a function of the habitat
Default (no changes)
Military (bonus to army production?)
Outpost (less income but more border range and sensor range)
Industrial (replicators -> -90% energy but comes with a few of those fallen empire mineral fabricators)
Food (less energy but more food)
Science

Something like that

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I honestly wish habitats started really early with like, a four or even less pop max, upgrading to bigger and bigger sizes as tech advances.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

NewMars posted:

I honestly wish habitats started really early with like, a four or even less pop max, upgrading to bigger and bigger sizes as tech advances.

Yeah right now I feel you get them way too late. If you want to build tall you need to build tall early on, otherwise you don't have a chance of surviving until you have battleships and fortresses and an ascension perk to use.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guilliman posted:

I am seriously thinking of doing something like this in my planet modifier mod trough an event.
On completion of a habitat you get an event prompting you to chose a function of the habitat
Default (no changes)
Military (bonus to army production?)
Outpost (less income but more border range and sensor range)
Industrial (replicators -> -90% energy but comes with a few of those fallen empire mineral fabricators)
Food (less energy but more food)
Science

Something like that

Alphamod lets you build different types of planetary capital to specialize your worlds and I think the game in general could take hints from it. Having the capital, or another unique building on the planet that sets the theme of the world is a good system and a good way to implement the function ingame, you can also make it an interesting building in its own right.

Personally I'd also include stuff like telescope arrays that you can cover the planet in which give +sensor range and even more when adjacent to each other. Or bunker networks which give + army recruitment and benefit from being joined up, maybe some minor mineral income too. There's a lot you can do with adjacency and planetwide effects tied to buildings that doesn't really get used in the base game.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 11, 2017

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hey so apparently if you start an ironman save with a race you already have an ironman save for it overwrites the most recent old save.

That's... new.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I can't seem to recall, but did homeworlds always have a size fluctuation between 16 and 20? That seems like something that would normally be static.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I think Hive Minds as they stand now are terribly implemented. In their current state, they just play like a less fun version of fanatic purifiers.

Also, just having them on the map when playing as a xenophile/egalitarian empire can severely gently caress you up if any of their pops ever end up in your empire, since they just get automatically purged and everyone on the map hates you including what will likely be the most powerful factions in your empire.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Do they? I played as a hive mind and it was the best, but purging an entire nation of people (my southern rival wanted to be my vassal after unbidden showed up :v:) and it did nothing to my relations with other people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think the whole autopurge thing was a mistake. I think the reasoning was that you play hive mind so you can ignore pop happiness etc. and having people in your empire would mess with that, but it being automatic seems unnecessary since anyone who wanted to play pure hiver could just deny migration treaties and using the existing purge mechanics to the same end.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Something seems off. I am at four complete Unity trees and rolling in tech and battleships and I have not had the opportunity to research Synths once. Kind of derailed my plans entirely. Do you need anything beyond the Droid tech to research Synths?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

You need sentient AI from the blue tree.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Get a mad scientist or a curator scientist, put it in blue research, research sentient AI when it shows up. Then put said scientist in yellow research and you'll get synths soon enough.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ZypherIM posted:

I can't seem to recall, but did homeworlds always have a size fluctuation between 16 and 20? That seems like something that would normally be static.

It was added a patch or two ago.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I'd like to see Hive Minds just be unable to make use of non-hive pops - have them be like having pre-sentient pops on your colonies, useless until you gene-mod them, and not really part of your population. Maybe they could have a civic option that lets them get some production out of them or something so you could play a more open-minded hive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Splicer posted:

I think the whole autopurge thing was a mistake. I think the reasoning was that you play hive mind so you can ignore pop happiness etc. and having people in your empire would mess with that, but it being automatic seems unnecessary since anyone who wanted to play pure hiver could just deny migration treaties and using the existing purge mechanics to the same end.

Yeah hives really need a new mechanic for that. I'd love to see them be able to actually conquer other pops and have a multi-species empire. Have massive penalties for non-hive pops, and if you allow it, let them migrate away peacefully. But forcing brutal genocide is a bit much.

I had two huge empires next to me One a military dictatorship one a hive. Eventually they went to war, now there's a huge void between us. They hive conquered every single single in a single war then genocided the planets down to nothing since I guess it was the wrong habitat type. This would be fine if there were different types of hive, some genocidal and some not. But this hive seems super friendly and has been really nice to everyone nearby who isn't a warmonger, he's my defense pact and likes to trade, when he's not putting fully developed empires into extinction through massive genocides because stellaris couldn't think of a better way to handle conquered pops under a hive.

Atsushogob
Oct 7, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

When starting a new game, should I construct buildings in accordance with what the tile has a bonus to, and eventually replace those tiles with whatever I need, or is specializing a planet and expanding quickly a better idea?

Can a Hive Mind species go the Cyborg/Robot body route or are they locked out of that too?

Hiveminds can only go down the Biological Evolution route.

Early on I tend to stick to what tiles produce naturally unless I really need one resource over another, and tend to specialize new planets I go on by modifiers and need. If I'm lacking energy, or if the planet has an energy bonus, I might make a new planet entirely power plants/energy hubs and a couple happiness building or whatever to spice just to shore that up, or same for minerals and a mineral bonus, but I wouldn't worry too hard about hard specializing and early on wasting the +2 minerals from the natural tile isn't a great move anyway since that +2 is a larger part of your overall income.

Milky Moor posted:

Something seems off. I am at four complete Unity trees and rolling in tech and battleships and I have not had the opportunity to research Synths once. Kind of derailed my plans entirely. Do you need anything beyond the Droid tech to research Synths?

You need Sentient AI, if you don't have that.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

I think the main problem is that the devs have one very specific vision for how a hive mind species would work and they do not let you deviate from it at all.

The Borg from Star Trek, Tyranids from WH40K, the Geth, Rachni, and Collectors from Mass Effect, The Flood from Halo, whatever those things from Ender's Game were called. All of these species were all all very different from each other, even though they could all be classified as "hive minds".

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

Also, it's mind-bogglingly dumb that hive minds cant access the synthetic or psionic ascension paths.

Why can't I go full Borg and "assimilate" pops into the hive through cybernetic technology? Why can't I use psionics and the Shroud to link their consciousness with the hive?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just mod a cyborg looking portrait. Boom, you're now borg.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Pretty sure a lot of the restriction is from an over-all strength perspective. Layering psionic/cyborg bonuses on hive minds would probably be a bit too good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

With our high living standards, universal suffrage and individual freedom, you'd have to be utterly deranged not to want to join us. Fortunately modern genetic techniques make such illnesses an anachronism, and we feel it's our duty to make such a cure freely available. It's for your own good, really. I mean, if you were properly informed you'd consent.

Every citizen is provided with an equal opportunity and the chance to truly shine.

All pops are gene-modded to remove all traits except the Three Cs (Charismatic, Communal, Conformist), Extremely Adaptive, and Enduring. Particularly misguided liberated worlds get orbital mind-control lasers

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 11, 2017

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
One of my colonies had a war with the planet's native flowers. 10/10 would colonize again.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

With our high living standards, universal suffrage and individual freedom, you'd have to be utterly deranged not to want to join us. Fortunately modern genetic techniques make such illnesses an anachronism, and we feel it's our duty to make such a cure freely available. It's for your own good, really. I mean, if you were properly informed you'd consent.

Every citizen is provided with an equal opportunity and the chance to truly shine.

All pops are gene-modded to remove all traits except the Three Cs (Charismatic, Communal, Conformist), Extremely Adaptive, and Enduring. Particularly misguided liberated worlds get orbital mind-control lasers

That's nice and all but what did you do to your beautiful bubble helmets? :mad:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The Horizon Signal happened.

I was aggressively observing an industrial age civilization.

The locals started getting very into What Was Will Be.

...yeah no I am sending in the army, trust us, little ape-men, you don't want to get any of this on you.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Allatum posted:

One of my colonies had a war with the planet's native flowers. 10/10 would colonize again.

One of my planets had intelligent moving forests. I took the long route of researching them instead of burning them down and now I get some kind of nice boosting/lore event for that colony every couple of years. They're also only taking up a single tile now, so I don't even mind. :3:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The bubble helmets are the entire reason I love my rear end in a top hat libertarian dystopian space parrots.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Wiz posted:

That's nice and all but what did you do to your beautiful bubble helmets? :mad:
They got in the way of xenos admiring our fabulously resplendent plumage.

Uggo parrots can still wear them, I guess.

Libluini posted:

One of my planets had intelligent moving forests. I took the long route of researching them instead of burning them down and now I get some kind of nice boosting/lore event for that colony every couple of years. They're also only taking up a single tile now, so I don't even mind. :3:
My peaceful moving forests were panicked by a fire and stampeded :supaburn: :ohdear:

GotLag fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Has anyone had a chance to try out the different purge methods in Utopia? I'm trying to theorycraft conquering the two nearby Materialist fallen empires (the things I do when I'm bored at work) and I'm wondering if, say, neutering them or driving them off those shiny slightly used new ringworlds or slowly working them to death will have different (hopefully easier?) diplomatic consequences compared to simply going Maximum Space Hitler.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 11, 2017

• Locked thread