Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

For real, the ability to tear shields away should be an early buy, no matter what your playstyle. I'm running a hunter/assassin build, and my go to combo for when I have to tangle face-to-face is break shield > arrow to face, repeat until there are no more occupants of the fort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I desperately want a shield and I hope someone in Ubisoft can hear me or some intrepid modder

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Now that is one late title card

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

I desperately want a shield and I hope someone in Ubisoft can hear me or some intrepid modder

same. really hope one gets added in DLC or something. the whole “we want to encourage aggression” is bullshit when you’ve got a parry that effectively works the same way and an unstoppable dodge. “we wanted to make sure the player incorporates Leonidas’ spear” is bullshit when there’s more two handed weapons that don’t use it than there are weapons that do.

like somebody else said, just make it so you have to use the parry timing to block with the shield and red attacks still break it, aesthetically it feels so out of place not to be able to carry one

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Just beat it. 49 hours, skipped a lot of the side stuff for now, went after high XP / legendary item rewards. Overall opinion is that Odyssey owns, stands up to any in the series. Not gonna spoil the ending, but I will say I liked it, seems a bit more sensible and better paced than Origins' (though I enjoy both a lot). Will repost something I said earlier - Origins is a meditation, Odyssey is a celebration.

FWIW I didn't feel the grind complaints at any time. There's so much to do and there's a decent variety between melee, ranged, stealth, and ship combat, plus the level scaling and movement base helps stave off the late game torpor that plagues some of the earlier AC games.

Played around with all 3 trees, would say Hunter is the most specialized. The other two are reasonably comparable in open combat, but Hunter is a whole different ballgame. It is extremely good at sniping Mercenaries on the road. The heal is a must have for any build, and the shield break is a close 2nd. The itemization's pretty good, with the only complaint that there's a few too many Warrior item sets. Unlocking Engravings leads to some tricky poo poo.

Only major bugs I encountered were a few crashes/weird desyncs and some oddities with the lip sync. Pretty sure they used an algorithm for it instead hand-crafting, which led to some awkwardness at a couple key moments. Thankfully those were the exception. I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff for the amount of a content available a year after Origins (less if you count the DLCs), but I'm glad they're taking another year off.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I've got one of the radiant quests for the special loot box currency, to kill some sharks so a lady can get her delivery, but there's no hint and no marker so I have no idea where to go... anyone got any ideas?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

the conversation animations are super stiff and weird and so far the dialogue trees have been pretty basic window dressing stuff but it really does go a long way towards improving my immersion with the game. i lost interest in Origins really quickly because everything felt so weird and disconnected to me, and I realized I was just tuning out 99% of the non main story conversations with that weird locked in behind the back camera and long rambling stories that ended up amounting to bring me 12 warthog asses. it gave me this weird Korean MMO type feeling of indifference towards the game

even though most of Odyssey’s side stuff hasn’t been super compelling so far I’m actually listening and feel like a participant in the conversations. a little direction goes a long way for me I guess

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Carlosologist posted:

In Euboea, I learned that you can't save everyone even if you try :smith:

can we make the thread title:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey: Daggers are cute little baby swords

Are you referring to the theater? If you engage with a bow without triggering the cut scene, you can save both. They're fragile though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Man, killing a nation leader when you’ve reduced the power to zero is so :smith:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you do the big battles if you spec mainly into thr assassin side?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Deformed Church posted:

I've got one of the radiant quests for the special loot box currency, to kill some sharks so a lady can get her delivery, but there's no hint and no marker so I have no idea where to go... anyone got any ideas?

I just got that one. I was able to kill one with my ship but it was a pain. There has to be somewhere specific for that quest

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

ExCruceLeo posted:

I just got that one. I was able to kill one with my ship but it was a pain. There has to be somewhere specific for that quest

Go to shipwrecks or look for them scavenging around sinking boats after naval battles.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Didn't end well for this guy!

isk
Oct 3, 2007

underage at the vape shop posted:

How do you do the big battles if you spec mainly into thr assassin side?

Hero Strike. Get as much +Assassin Damage gear as possible (Pirate & Venom sets have it, as do several weapons). Learn the heal from the Warrior tree. Poisons are pretty good, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Mandrel posted:

the conversation animations are super stiff and weird and so far the dialogue trees have been pretty basic window dressing stuff but it really does go a long way towards improving my immersion with the game. i lost interest in Origins really quickly because everything felt so weird and disconnected to me, and I realized I was just tuning out 99% of the non main story conversations with that weird locked in behind the back camera and long rambling stories that ended up amounting to bring me 12 warthog asses. it gave me this weird Korean MMO type feeling of indifference towards the game

even though most of Odyssey’s side stuff hasn’t been super compelling so far I’m actually listening and feel like a participant in the conversations. a little direction goes a long way for me I guess

I think the mere idea that you CAN influence the world is already more compelling than an 80 hour game where you’re just along for the ride the entire time. I didn’t mind Horizon Zero Dawn not having any significant branching narratives, but even the little flashpoints where Aloy got to choose a different emotional response were worth looking forward to, and it’s much the same here. The RP stuff does pick up a bit in Athens where you have a noticeable impact upon the conversations based on what you choose. It’s also cool that the game will continue to acknowledge some of your earlier decisions even as far back as Kephallonia.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Man, I wish I could set arrow crafting to automatic while in combat.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2018

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
What HUD option disables the prompts to summon Ikaros?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Safeword posted:

What HUD option disables the prompts to summon Ikaros?

Tips, the very bottom one. It disables all the big box popups at the bottom of the screen and changes them to just rumble/sound prompts, so no more Phobos is unavailable etc.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Orv posted:

Tips, the very bottom one. It disables all the big box popups at the bottom of the screen and changes them to just rumble/sound prompts, so no more Phobos is unavailable etc.

Cheers! Can live without everything except the compass, but that message drove me nuts and killed exploration.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

isk posted:

Hero Strike. Get as much +Assassin Damage gear as possible (Pirate & Venom sets have it, as do several weapons). Learn the heal from the Warrior tree. Poisons are pretty good, too.

Sweet. I'm liking the warrior class but I think I might respec, chucking the spear to assassinate is so cool.

Uplay doesn't officially support family share, but does anyone know if its possible to make it work by having them download the game and we both just play in offline mode? It's one downside of not getting the steam version.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I think the mere idea that you CAN influence the world is already more compelling than an 80 hour game where you’re just along for the ride the entire time. I didn’t mind Horizon Zero Dawn not having any significant branching narratives, but even the little flashpoints where Aloy got to choose a different emotional response were worth looking forward to, and it’s much the same here. The RP stuff does pick up a bit in Athens where you have a noticeable impact upon the conversations based on what you choose. It’s also cool that the game will continue to acknowledge some of your earlier decisions even as far back as Kephallonia.

Honesty I've never actually felt AC needed 'story choice'. The gameplay has always been built around 'choose your approach' and as long as I'm getting agency there then I've always been happy to follow our hero's stories as a passive observer.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wish there was some esthetic thing on the characters you could upgrade like Bayek's bracers and chestplate

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm having the same issue with this game that I did with Origins, which is that I find myself never being able to really settle in with a particular piece of gear before it gets outclassed by something I find in a chest or on a corpse. I wish upgrading gear wasn't so much more expensive (both in drachmae and materials) than just buying new gear. Why would I bother trying out the interesting-looking engraving system when the gear I'm engraving will be useless in an hour?

Aesthetically, I'm really enjoying the Mercenary look with the red cape, and thankfully I'm generally able to find newer models at blacksmiths or as loot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Stupid question - how exactly do you chain assassinations on PC? Is it just hitting the ability button again? Sometimes I can trigger it and sometimes I can't, seems hit or miss largely because I don't actually know how to perform the action properly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The Iron Rose posted:

Stupid question - how exactly do you chain assassinations on PC? Is it just hitting the ability button again? Sometimes I can trigger it and sometimes I can't, seems hit or miss largely because I don't actually know how to perform the action properly.

Get a gamepad?

Honestly, I wasn't able to play the AC series on PC until I finally just plugged a gamepad into it: the gameplay is completely designed around that control scheme.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Skeezy posted:

Spears loving rule in Odyssey.

They do but I've been having a lot of fun with the dagger. Dancing round attacks then rushing in for a ton of hits like I'm prison shanking some poor dude is going to take a long time to get old.

I can't wait until I've unlocked the ability to switch between weapons on the fly because I've been having fun with pretty much every option available.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man I love the weapons in this game. My favorite by far is the Heavy Bladed category. I got a Spiked Axe, and after I killed Nikolaos, when Stentor or whoever came up and attacked me, I hit him with the axe’s heavy attacking and whacked him off the cliff.

They are satisfying as hell.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It just took me a half hour to kill a boar. Dark Souls, porkchop edition.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Got stuck in a combat loop where a mercenary threw down with me on the road outside of a major city, which kept attracting soldiers from the city, and any that were riding down the road. This eventually resulted in so much murder, another mercenary spawned.

And then, somehow, a bear got involved.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

One thing I've noticed is that I don't use fast travel as often as in other games. The environment's so pretty and traversal's fun. Whoever at Ubisoft championed the idea of removing falling damage nailed it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Man I love the weapons in this game. My favorite by far is the Heavy Bladed category. I got a Spiked Axe, and after I killed Nikolaos, when Stentor or whoever came up and attacked me, I hit him with the axe’s heavy attacking and whacked him off the cliff.

They are satisfying as hell.

That sync kill animation where the dude is trying to get away but Kassandra rolls them back over for one final axe blow to the chest is just :discourse:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I spent an hour and a half conquering and destabilizing and reconquering Megaris and I loved every second of it (and that's probably the boringest thing that the game will have me doing).

I'm sure I'll get tired of that before too long but it was funny sabotaging the athenian leadership, then defending it in a pitched battle and getting treated like a hero for it. These people have walnut brains

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Endgame rewards -

Clearing out the cult (itemization): Demigod Armor & Sword of Damokles. Boosts to Warrior damage (major), all skills (moderate), and all damage (minor).

Getting the best ending (major spoilers): Myrrine, Nikolaus, Deimos, and Stentor join the ship crew. All Legendary quality. Careful, they can be dismissed.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

isk posted:

One thing I've noticed is that I don't use fast travel as often as in other games. The environment's so pretty and traversal's fun. Whoever at Ubisoft championed the idea of removing falling damage nailed it.

While I agree, I think part of my reluctance to use fast travel in this one is that the fast-travel sync points are so far apart. Great if you need to get across the world, but not really useful when I just need to get over a mountain.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Do you ever get the ability to bring the ship to where you fast travel?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Modus Pwnens posted:

Do you ever get the ability to bring the ship to where you fast travel?

Yeah, as long as your in a docking zone in a harbour, you can call it to you. I don't think you can call it to any random shore though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm fighting an evil pig, and while I'm beating down it's piglets it heals back to full health. Do I have to kill it with the adds still around?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

While I agree, I think part of my reluctance to use fast travel in this one is that the fast-travel sync points are so far apart. Great if you need to get across the world, but not really useful when I just need to get over a mountain.

Yep, I think that's part of it too

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Just started the game, immediately get into a fight with a level 5 dogwolf.
Dealt constant 1 hp damage to him, decided to climb something until it got tired of trying to kill me.
He does, and immediately goes and kills 2 random villagers that were in the area I ran to in an attempt to escape.

10/10 game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The twist is gonna be that the cult of kosmos is the assassins precursors right