Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a recurring british meme think of referring to fat old white men as gammon.

Gammon probably became a thing too late in the development cycle to be where it came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

This game is really good. I mean, the game i alright, but I really enjoy reading the dialogue and the idea cards. I think this is all written really well.

There should be some sort of book or website compiling the best bits and pieces in the smallest self-contained unit. I know it doesn't do the overall story justice, then, but somehow I feel like all these things should be preserved somehow so its accesssible beyond a new playthrough.
For example I really lol'ed IRL at the "AL'GUUL" exhange, and I'd like to read it again for that reason.

Of course if I were the creator of the game I would also probably object to that, so

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ohhhh. The RCM Patrol Cloak.

Harry hung it up there. It has three bullet holes in it. His three-shot pistol was loaded when he arrived, but empty when he found it again.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GulagDolls posted:

i have no opinion on this

My opinion is a mysterious *fourth* thing.

Also, perhaps it is unwise to have an extreme opinion one way or the other? I am very, very smart.

Epic High Five posted:

I always wonder if this was something to do with the Ham Sandwich Race thing or if it's too obscurely regional for it to have made its way over there

https://twitter.com/scottwalker/status/794578578327371776

A man this principled about his sandwich...

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 23, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

The failings of its government, the fact that it not lead the West to go along with it, the absence of its promise and its final downfall created much of the cultural malaises we suffer now, for if we were haunted before to bring it to existence, now we are haunted for its absence: things are not in the order that they are supposed to.

That's pretty much what the game says verbatim, isn't it ? :

"All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. He is starting to suspect Kras Mazov *hosed him over* personally with his socio-economic theory. [...] Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I will repeat whenever needed: it takes true-hearted communist leaning - actually lets go with straight up belief here - to do such a savage take on its failure like this game did. Outside literature, very few pieces of media in general have tried to artistically cope with the collapse of the Revolution, and Disco absolutely delivers on it.

It is everywhere and nowhere: a major reason of the way things are as they are now in Revachol is because communism happened, but absent; your own (harry's) contemplation of the matter leads to a very precise comment that 0.000% of the communism has been built. Yet, love did him in, but communism pulled the trigger.

Kurvitz and the other writers (I understand that one or two of them are Russian, even) seem to share a certain sensibility of the matter that intellectuals like Mark Fisher have described as "hauntological", the absence of something that is necessary to our present. A "nothing" that demands resolution in our collective understanding of the world. The original Communist Manifesto is all about that poo poo: "A spectre haunts Europe". What haunts Revachol and in many similar ways our own world, is the absence of the future promised. A new order of things happened, then it was crushed, at the cost of creating a hole in history. A flaw.

To mull over this flaw, to ponder about what it really means, it is really complex poo poo. Zizek, among others, have said that the actual philosophical and psychological cost of the failure of the Soviet Union has not been fully assessed and understood because of the sheer, titanic tragedy of it all: for a few years, the dream society that a lot of people envisioned and envision now was a concrete, real, actual in-the-fullest-sense-of-the word thing.

If one subscribes to the hauntological point-of-view, this was such a massively momentous occasion that essentially reshaped the course of history forever. From this moment onward, the new society, the revolutionary society, had to be. The failings of its government, the fact that it not lead the West to go along with it, the absence of its promise and its final downfall created much of the cultural malaises we suffer now, for if we were haunted before to bring it to existence, now we are haunted for its absence: things are not in the order that they are supposed to.

Disco tackles some of that poo poo exemplarly, mostly by giving you that feel, that yearning conveyed by the soundtrack and in some particular dialogues and scenes. Communism has failed, surely. For that, this is a weary world. However, playing it again, after you got to know the scars and has the hang of the place, a simple "Revachol forever" gains a powerful, foreboding feel. This is an invocation. The city has been conquered, but what it represents has not; its people have been put to suffer tremendous indignity, but they are the same that not too long ago, have put the most profound fear in the powerful forces of the world. Revachol forever means that they will become what they must be, again, for history demands it.

this shouldn't be lost to the final post of a page

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If people are looking for game quotes this Github page seems to have a lot of dialog from you and NPCs, not your inner monologues though:

https://gist.github.com/efonte/ce0b3a8f2651d2263d7085b2121d9f6c

Edit: can someone feed these into one of those text AIs?

Edit 2: jeez and it only goes up to letter I... this game has a lot of words!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Nov 23, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wheeee posted:

this shouldn't be lost to the final post of a page

Yeah that was a great exegesis

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
What should I do to have the best chance to help Cuno in the long run in the Split the Kilo quest? Should I give him the vial? I am just a poor communist boy who also looks like Kras Mazov, I do not have the foresight to know what's best. Especially when Inland Empire and Logic are fighting on this

Alitur fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 23, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Alitur posted:

What should I do to have the best chance to help Cuno in the long run in the Split the Kilo quest? Should I give him the vial? I am just a poor communist boy who also looks like Kras Mazov, I do not have the foresight to know what's best. Especially when Inland Empire and Logic are fighting on this

gently caress DOES PIGGO CARE ? Cuno doesn't care. (He doesn't.) I honoured my druggie Commie word, personally. It didn't lead to Cuno overdosing or anything sad like that, and while Kim gives you some side-eye for such a very un-coplike act he won't narc on you or anything either.
Very far down my line Cuno chose to stop doing speed at least for a while, for (his own) Reasons.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I will repeat whenever needed: it takes true-hearted communist leaning - actually lets go with straight up belief here - to do such a savage take on its failure like this game did. Outside literature, very few pieces of media in general have tried to artistically cope with the collapse of the Revolution, and Disco absolutely delivers on it.

It is everywhere and nowhere: a major reason of the way things are as they are now in Revachol is because communism happened, but absent; your own (harry's) contemplation of the matter leads to a very precise comment that 0.000% of the communism has been built. Yet, love did him in, but communism pulled the trigger.

Kurvitz and the other writers (I understand that one or two of them are Russian, even) seem to share a certain sensibility of the matter that intellectuals like Mark Fisher have described as "hauntological", the absence of something that is necessary to our present. A "nothing" that demands resolution in our collective understanding of the world. The original Communist Manifesto is all about that poo poo: "A spectre haunts Europe". What haunts Revachol and in many similar ways our own world, is the absence of the future promised. A new order of things happened, then it was crushed, at the cost of creating a hole in history. A flaw.

To mull over this flaw, to ponder about what it really means, it is really complex poo poo. Zizek, among others, have said that the actual philosophical and psychological cost of the failure of the Soviet Union has not been fully assessed and understood because of the sheer, titanic tragedy of it all: for a few years, the dream society that a lot of people envisioned and envision now was a concrete, real, actual in-the-fullest-sense-of-the word thing.

If one subscribes to the hauntological point-of-view, this was such a massively momentous occasion that essentially reshaped the course of history forever. From this moment onward, the new society, the revolutionary society, had to be. The failings of its government, the fact that it not lead the West to go along with it, the absence of its promise and its final downfall created much of the cultural malaises we suffer now, for if we were haunted before to bring it to existence, now we are haunted for its absence: things are not in the order that they are supposed to.

Disco tackles some of that poo poo exemplarly, mostly by giving you that feel, that yearning conveyed by the soundtrack and in some particular dialogues and scenes. Communism has failed, surely. For that, this is a weary world. However, playing it again, after you got to know the scars and has the hang of the place, a simple "Revachol forever" gains a powerful, foreboding feel. This is an invocation. The city has been conquered, but what it represents has not; its people have been put to suffer tremendous indignity, but they are the same that not too long ago, have put the most profound fear in the powerful forces of the world. Revachol forever means that they will become what they must be, again, for history demands it.
The thing about this game that was so beautiful and so tragic is that Klassje and Lely actually found love despite being more haunted than anyone, and that one spark of non-cynicism was enough to set off a giant, shameful chain of unpredictable events that is poised to start a brand new war, and only this broken brilliant cop cares about anything besides himself (unless you play Harry as mafia cop).

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

How do you learn about the third merc, if at all? I thought I've exhausted Ruby's and Joyce's dialog, but he was still a surprise.

Quick aside - replaying for the whatever time, beelining for the xp and money-making thoughts and skills. Got 75 skill points before meeting the Instigator, 555 real before leaving for the island. I think that if you don't buy anything at all, you might be able to earn that 700 needed to buy the streetlight "fairly".

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 23, 2019

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I just finished my second playthrough and i really think the most frustrating part of the end-game is that nobody will admit that I loving rocked that poo poo.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What would you recommend after sensitive cop playthrough? Intelligent or physical? Or make my own artsy cop ?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
So I've been playing this but keep bouncing off because of chronic restartitis and a pathological need to see as much content as possible.

Sensitive cop is apparently pretty good, but that 1 in INT is really putting me off. Is there any build you guys would recommend for seeing the most content, or alternatively for the most 'thematically appropriate' run?

Admittedly, the Shivers signature FYS build I'm doing right now isn't working out too badly, but my first conversation with Joyce bothered me with how easily she ran circles around me.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Sekenr posted:

What would you recommend after sensitive cop playthrough? Intelligent or physical? Or make my own artsy cop ?

be a dirty thug cop. rough people up to get what you want. punch cuno. take bribes. threaten people to do what you want. punch cuno. let the corruption flow through you. definitely punch cuno.

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 23, 2019

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i did 3 4 2 3 on my first run and it was fun

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

i did 3 4 2 3 on my first run and it was fun

what was your signature skill? Is Empathy any good? I hear good things about Volition, but it never seems to chime in, at least in the early game.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Sinner Sandwich posted:

So I've been playing this but keep bouncing off because of chronic restartitis and a pathological need to see as much content as possible.

Sensitive cop is apparently pretty good, but that 1 in INT is really putting me off. Is there any build you guys would recommend for seeing the most content, or alternatively for the most 'thematically appropriate' run?

Admittedly, the Shivers signature FYS build I'm doing right now isn't working out too badly, but my first conversation with Joyce bothered me with how easily she ran circles around me.
I've thoroughly enjoyed my 5/5/1/1 Shivers-signature run. I'm getting all of the neat INT/PSY content, the physical failures are hilarious, and the deficiencies in Perception and Shivers can be easily made up for with clothing and thoughts.

Edit: for anyone considering something like this, I highly recommend focusing Conceptualization and Inland Empire, so that you can embrace your inner superstar psychic art cop.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 23, 2019

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Dude, just roll with it. I mean sensitive cop. Not only drugs help with rolls you are not built for but there is also savescumming if you are desperate. I went with Sensitive cop first and am currently despaired because I feel like the game opened up its most beautiful things to me with this playthrough and there is nothing left to experience.

E: Shivers feels like flair until an epic moment which is OMG yes. Unlike many weaklings who reloaded monkey-fucker situation (you can later apologise , own up to your fuckup and learn something about your buddy)I went with it and the revacholese has an urgent thing to say about it. Not only does this thing produces a bit of perspective on Kim but I like to imagine perhaps to the *return* as well.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 23, 2019

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

I'm on day 3, and I'm currently looking for Ruby.
Is it safe at this point to slow down, take my in-game time, and do whatever I please, or am I really racing against the mercenary clock?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ersatz posted:

I'm on day 3, and I'm currently looking for Ruby.
Is it safe at this point to slow down, take my in-game time, and do whatever I please, or am I really racing against the mercenary clock?

Take all the time you like. Meeting Ruby is a point of no return.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

be a dirty thug cop. rough people up to get what you want. punch cuno. take bribes. threaten people to do what you want. punch cuno. let the corruption flow through you. definitely punch cuno.

Maybe revachol sovereignity? Cop superstar?
Kim, help me, I think, I'm becoming some sort of hyperstar I only say this options, didn't click it but it also awesome.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Sinner Sandwich posted:

what was your signature skill? Is Empathy any good? I hear good things about Volition, but it never seems to chime in, at least in the early game.

volition and the corps skill are both probably the most 'useful' in the purple category...just pick whatever sounds fun though imo. I think I made my signature skill shivers

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

I was a sensitive sad cop and I still punched cuno

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Aye Doc posted:

I just finished my second playthrough and i really think the most frustrating part of the end-game is that nobody will admit that I loving rocked that poo poo.

While the debrief is ten thousand plot flags coming to a single point, one of the things Ltn. Kitsuragi noted was that I took a break from the case to sing karaoke, but it was some drat fine karaoke.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

“I would often go there. To the tiny church there. The smallest church in Saint-Saëns -- though it once was larger.

How the rill may rest there. Down through the mist there. Toward the seven sisters -- toward those pale cliffs there

I would often stay there. In there tiny yard there. I have been so glad here -- looking forward to the past here

But now you are alone. None of this matters at all.”

slow clap from Kim

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Well, I finally finished this and can freely read this thread without fear of spoilers. The comparisons with Planescape: Torment were wholly justified imo - that slightly unsettling sense of a world where *reality* is somehow fundamentally different is something I think no other game has managed to successfully pull off until now.

I played through as a logic/motorics cop which on the sole worked fairly well (though I did end up sinking a load of extra points into shivers and inland empire after realising I was probably missing out on the best content (plus managed to kill myself on the very first screen trying to get my tie down)

I think. I may have to cheat myself up some higher stats for a second play through. Not sure whether to go for art cop or apocalypse cop for that one.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

I don't know how to respond. I only know I like this a lot.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Is it possible to avoid blasting Sad FM on the rowboat? There was a dialog option that seems like it might avoid that, which would be a very sad choice indeed.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Does anybody have an actual solution to the Egg Head Riddle? Every guide online is either:

1) wrong
2) somebody being "funny" by being intentionally vague

I am totally stuck, I don't think I can advance without solving this riddle, and it's being driving me loving insane for half an hour.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You just need to give the right path through the conversation tree. Keep notes if you really care but it's 100% optional

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Okay but what is the right path

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

IIRC Say nothing until you have the option to say something like "But is it hardcore, really ?" which will end the dialogue. Do it again, saying nothing until you can ask "is it ?", then Egg should say IT IS !, answer "I really don't think it is" at which point he'll go WHAT IS THE QUESTION ? which is your cue to start going HARDCORE ! yourself as he's now in your shoes and trying to figure out what the gently caress you're on about. Think of it like you're trying to do the "rabbit season/duck season" gag. It's been a while though, I might have some steps wrong - ultimately just exhausting every dialogue option you haven't used yet should work, but do realize there's two steps to the puzzle, your journal will tell you when you've passed step 1.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

say nothing 5x
choose SO HARD CORE!
choose IT IS!
choose THE QUESTION IS, WHAT IS THE QUESTION?!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Kobal2 posted:

IIRC Say nothing until you have the option to say something like "But is it hardcore, really ?" which will end the dialogue. Do it again, saying nothing until you can ask "is it ?", then Egg should say IT IS !, answer "I really don't think it is" at which point he'll go WHAT IS THE QUESTION ? which is your cue to start going HARDCORE ! yourself as he's now in your shoes and trying to figure out what the gently caress you're on about. Think of it like you're trying to do the "rabbit season/duck season" gag. It's been a while though, I might have some steps wrong - ultimately just exhausting every dialogue option you haven't used yet should work, but do realize there's two steps to the puzzle, your journal will tell you when you've passed step 1.

I had it different in my memory, but might be completely wrong. I just nodded in agreement to everything until Harry agreed that it's hardcore. At this point Egg was feeling self aware and asked, if it really is. Then I already had a regular conversation and got the task complete.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

don't you succeed by just pressing the first option over and over

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Sinner Sandwich posted:

I finished my main playthrough with 3/3/1/5 and Shivers as a signature, and that felt pretty appropriate for really getting to know characters and the world, plus physical failures are always hilarious.

But, as everyone else said, there's not really a wrong* way to play it, just choose what kind of content you're most interested in (reading people's thoughts and emotions, world lore and trivia, punching and kicking through things), adjust stats accordingly and roll with it.

*although I guess having super low Perception is counterproductive 'cause you won't even notice half the stuff that would trigger checks for other skills; and if you leave either Volition or Endurance at 1, stock up on relevant healing items.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

cant cook creole bream posted:

I had it different in my memory, but might be completely wrong. I just nodded in agreement to everything until Harry agreed that it's hardcore. At this point Egg was feeling self aware and asked, if it really is. Then I already had a regular conversation and got the task complete.

That feels true as well. Maybe the puzzle is first introducing doubt by not agreeing all the way at the "end" of the line to trigger step 1, and then agreeing all the way which prompts Egg to doubt ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
how do you look at the body if you gently caress up the rolls early? does it eventually just work?