Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Klaus Kinski posted:

A nazi dollar bill

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichsmark

e: 1940-1945 so about as nazi as it gets. Worth almost nothing, pretty neat though.

I figured it was something like that but couldn't figure out what era or anything specific. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Its Coke posted:

I've been getting itchy insect bites on my right foot even though I wear socks 24/7 and shoes whenever I go outside. Oftentimes I don't discover them until they're already small and red (and I'm guessing old). Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

How itchy? I thought I had extremely itchy bites on my feet that turned out to be contact dermatitis from some leukotape I was wearing (but the bumps didn't show up until a few days after I'd worn it.)

But if you're sure it's bugs then possibly chiggers--they love to get into tight places like under socks.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Bioshuffle posted:

I don't want Facebook to have my phone number (on account of privacy), but they're forcing me to put a mobile number "for security purposes"

Is there a way to get around this? If I add my number, is it possible to remove it?
Facebook already knows your phone number thanks to your friends uploading their contacts, just give them what they want.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Gobbeldygook posted:

Facebook already knows your phone number thanks to your friends uploading their contacts, just give them what they want.

I was about to post this. Just assume every huge rear end company already knows everything about you worth knowing. The world is hosed, and unless you're an actually important person like politician or CEO or whatever who gives a poo poo? They'll just use it to fractionally better personalize the ads they'll shove down your throat anyway.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Solution: don't have a Facebook account. Unless you've been using it as a personal photo album for the last ten years, there's little value there these days. There are a plethora of other ways to keep in touch with people from high school you no longer talk to that don't involve selling all your personal information to the Nefarious Zuck Empire.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

kedo posted:

Solution: don't have a Facebook account. Unless you've been using it as a personal photo album for the last ten years, there's little value there these days.

This isn't really remotely correct. There's a lot of places where Facebook Messenger is the preferred form of communication, Facebook is the only event calendar used by pretty much everyone organising stuff, there's a lot of subjects where discussion is almost exclusively available on Facebook, and for selling/buying/renting things it's often the prime option

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If the OP is concerned enough about privacy that they don't want to give their phone number to Facebook, the only real option is "don't use Facebook." I won't dispute that lots of people use the platform, but just because it's a preferred form of communication/event scheduling doesn't mean it's the only one.

There are hundreds of other platforms out there that do the same things Facebook does, often better. There may be fewer people on them, but that's not always a bad thing. I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's literally nothing that's absolutely critical to your life on Facebook that does not exist elsewhere in some equivalent form.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Sure but that's not what you said.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kedo posted:

just because it's a preferred form of communication/event scheduling doesn't mean it's the only one.

this is entirely a different thing from there being "little value" there. no one's saying its the only platform, but its very useful specifically because of how many people are there and what they use it for.

if you are using it to keep in touch with a particular group of people or follow certain things that are only on that platform then you are getting a pretty specific value out of it regardless of the features of other platforms

that said if privacy is a major concern its true the solutions are either dont use it or just get some bullshit phone number you dont care about and make sure your information is fake

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fair enough. I guess if anything I should rephrase my original statement that there's "little of value there that can't be found elsewhere."

I'm perhaps subconsciously responding in part to the people in my life who throw up their hands, saying, "I hate Facebook, but what can I do? Where else will I find people selling [niche thing on marketplace], or talking about [niche topic], or posting cool events in my area?" and I'm like, have you even looked at the rest of the internet? People are doing all this stuff all over the place, it might just take an extra 20 seconds to find it.

Aaaaaanywayyysss.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

kedo posted:

Solution: don't have a Facebook account.
Even if you don't have a Facebook account Facebook probably knows your phone number because someone you know has probably uploaded their contacts with your name, email, phone number, etc all together and if you ever make an account Facebook will helpfully suggest you become friends because it knows you know each other.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

The real solution is not to have friends or interests

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Man with Hat posted:

I figured it was something like that but couldn't figure out what era or anything specific. Thanks!

You know, given today's political climate I'm sure you can make some crazy cash off that from some concerned citizen who wants to protect free speech.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

greazeball posted:

The real solution is not to have friends or interests

Agreed, and I also only use burner phones that I replace every month

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
Can someone decipher this caption on a cartoon by Dalí?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

El mestre : ques una salamandra
l'alumnus : una sala de estudir

I'm sure it's some stupid pun, but I don't speak Spanish.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Facebook never forgets.

Facebook has profiles for people who have never even created accounts. Name, vitals, likes, dislikes. It's horrifying.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

vitals?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Address, phone number, e-mail. That sort of thing.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

El mestre : ques una salamandra
l'alumnus : una sala de estudir

I'm sure it's some stupid pun, but I don't speak Spanish.

It's Catalan.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
The teacher: what is a salamander?
the student: a study room

Yeah has to be a pun or like something idiom-dependent.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

blood volume, heart rate, realtime gps coordinates of brainstem, etc

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The teacher: what is a salamander?
the student: a study room

Yeah has to be a pun or like something idiom-dependent.

A quick google told me that "mandra" is Catalan for "laziness", but I'm not sure if that's a good joke

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ras Het posted:

A quick google told me that "mandra" is Catalan for "laziness", but I'm not sure if that's a good joke

I'm assuming an English pun on the same lines would be

Master: "what is Lèse-majesté"
Student: "business as usual"

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Sal a mandre, room of laziness, studyroom.

It's not a great joke, but it works.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Taeke posted:

Sal a mandre, room of laziness, studyroom.

It's not a great joke, but it works.

Compared to the plethora of cheesy, inane and vapid single-panel comic strips we have today, it's practically profound.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Is there a recommended list of steps one should follow to become less of an addicted consumer? I have noticed that part of my happiness comes from material possessions (even if they are not expensive).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have an eviction question. My gf has been living with me for the past year. I broke up with her a few nights ago. I'm not throwing her out but its clear I want to be alone. She hasn't been here the past couple days or nights since. Am I going to get in legal trouble?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

theHUNGERian posted:

Is there a recommended list of steps one should follow to become less of an addicted consumer? I have noticed that part of my happiness comes from material possessions (even if they are not expensive).

This is not necessarily a huge problem, depending on what you're doing with yourself. Wanting to free yourself from consumerism shows a healthy self-awareness, and if you're already striving to improve your criteria for happiness, eh, maybe don't sweat it overly much. A little material pleasure never hurt anyone along their way of fulfillment. Money can't buy happiness, but it can rent it while you figure out how to get it for free.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have an eviction question. My gf has been living with me for the past year. I broke up with her a few nights ago. I'm not throwing her out but its clear I want to be alone. She hasn't been here the past couple days or nights since. Am I going to get in legal trouble?

I'm not a lawyer but if you both agreed to not be near each other and she left on her own choice for a few days then probably not. It varies by jurisdiction but eviction usually refers to something very specific and is a specific legal proceeding.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
trying to find a machine learning proof of concept thing that was passed around a bit back, it was like a pool of faces constantly changing (non existent people iirc) but I can't seem to find it based on the keywords I google.

so uh question is "do you know what I'm talking about?"

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Alan Smithee posted:

trying to find a machine learning proof of concept thing that was passed around a bit back, it was like a pool of faces constantly changing (non existent people iirc) but I can't seem to find it based on the keywords I google.

so uh question is "do you know what I'm talking about?"

is it this website:
https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
on reddit, when you're looking at the comments on a post it automatically sorts by 'best' and then you can manually change it to sort by the other comment style options like 'Q&A' - is there any way to make it so that's the default style and not have to change it manually every single time?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
So we're way past the point of any chance of even theoretically being able to stop climate change, right?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Methanar posted:

So we're way past the point of any chance of even theoretically being able to stop climate change, right?

Probably, but the difference between a 2c and a 4c increase might be the different between lovely and literally dystopic, so all work we can do remains crucial

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is not necessarily a huge problem, depending on what you're doing with yourself. Wanting to free yourself from consumerism shows a healthy self-awareness, and if you're already striving to improve your criteria for happiness, eh, maybe don't sweat it overly much. A little material pleasure never hurt anyone along their way of fulfillment. Money can't buy happiness, but it can rent it while you figure out how to get it for free.

Alright, I'll set a budget, try to scale back anyway, and try not to sweat it.

Ras Het posted:

Probably, but the difference between a 2c and a 4c increase might be the different between lovely and literally dystopic, so all work we can do remains crucial

Is it true that most of the impact is from a handful of companies? If so, can consumer behavior have any impact on those companies? What kinds of (non-research, non-politics) jobs are out there that are actively trying to solve this issue?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ras Het posted:

lol

https://globalnews.ca/news/2934513/empty-skies-after-911-set-the-stage-for-an-unlikely-climate-change-experiment/

lol forever that temperatures within the US are artifically 2 degrees lower because of airplanes.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 25, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

theHUNGERian posted:

Is it true that most of the impact is from a handful of companies?

It's true* but it doesn't help you much.

*Those companies include entities like the coal conglomerates of China that are state-owned, the Saudi state oil monopoly, etc. And of course the normal multinational oil, natural gas, and coal companies. You have to go quite far down til you get to things like international shipping companies.

theHUNGERian posted:

If so, can consumer behavior have any impact on those companies? What kinds of (non-research, non-politics) jobs are out there that are actively trying to solve this issue?

There's not really anything you could possibly do besides convince people to use less coal, gas, and oil. While there's plenty of ways you might campaign to move other companies off of polluting in ways besides greenhouse gases, there's little to do with a coal or petroleum company and their greenhouse emissions responsibility, besides organizing a mass movement to use less of them and instead an alternative.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

if im understanding the above article correctly, if we had a 9/11 once a week or so that would help a bit

sounds like destroying all the international shipping companies as well as the chinese and saudi state coal companies would be a good move as well

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
All that plane chat has me wondering this, I think China is trying to build a large rail network over to other continents, will shipping chinese products by train rather than on actual ships reduce pollution?