Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Should I even bother attempting the boosted Hulk end stages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think with the recent changes to Wolverine and Thor, Daken might actually be the best two star character in the game. The only PVP characters that reliably can beat me with a little luck are Daken, Thor, and OBW, if and only if she's teamed up with Modern Storm.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Snazzy Frocks posted:

drat I just realized I went from fully hyped up to totally burned out between round 3 and 4.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Snazzy Frocks posted:

drat I just realized I went from fully hyped up to totally burned out between round 3 and 4.

Between the length of the events and the proclivity the devs have for throwing extremely difficult fights at us I usually get burned out somewhere after four days. The problem is some combination of the AI mooks and every fight being designed as an attrition fight, which doesn't work when enemies are at really high levels.

At a certain point in scaling the only reasonable strategy to dealing with the fights is never letting the AI get a turn, which is tedious play particularly without a 5 Blue Spider-Man. The scaling is busted and trying to tune the game towards longer matches just sort of compounds the issue in PVE. PVP is more easily swung around big cascades now too.

I think I'd get a little less burned out on these long events if the content wasn't just the same thing 3-4 times with a gradually scaling list of fights that become more tedious and random than challenging.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Only if you can keep hulk perma stunned.

The sadists even gave him a mook that generates red AP.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

rabidsquid posted:

I think I'd get a little less burned out on these long events if the content wasn't just the same thing 3-4 times with a gradually scaling list of fights that become more tedious and random than challenging.

The PvE events would be better if they just got rid of the PvP competition aspect. If players are not competing there is no reason for the stupid scaling difficulty over time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Largepotato posted:

Only if you can keep hulk perma stunned.

The sadists even gave him a mook that generates red AP.

I've had a lot of success running Classic Storm/OBW/Magneto Now and CStorm did an outstanding job of locking Hulk down while generating a truckload of damage. I haven't been putting the time in to actually grind out top rewards, but Magneto Now cranking out the blue AP to feed CStorm or OBW as necessary has been incredible.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I would have been cool with this event if each area wasn't two and a half days long. Like I'll hit number 1 multiple times during the event only to be knocked out to the thirties in the last six or so hours. It just feels so futile to keep trying.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Marvel Puzzle Quest: It just feels so futile to keep trying.

Sherlock Bones
Jul 13, 2006
;/
What's the best DareDevil build? The game's forums are blocked so I can't look at that thread.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

So, did I miss something or did they lie about the whole "bonus iso-8 decreases for Skips" thing, because I'm seeing a pay-10-iso-per-skip tax straight up in this current tourney.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is 3/5/5 the preferred Moonstone build? Or should I go higher in Gravity Warp and actually learn how to use it :effort:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Is 3/5/5 the preferred Moonstone build? Or should I go higher in Gravity Warp and actually learn how to use it :effort:

5/5/3 I think. Black is too expensive.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Stupid game didn't give me my 250 Iso. :argh:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Neat that the new Magneto tournament gives a free cover to start. I already have my Magneto NOW! at 3 blue, though.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

So, did I miss something or did they lie about the whole "bonus iso-8 decreases for Skips" thing, because I'm seeing a pay-10-iso-per-skip tax straight up in this current tourney.

Last update I saw on that from their forums was that it's not supposed to be active yet (coming in R48?) and if you're seeing that you should put in a support ticket.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Is Hulk an Avenger or what? What boost will work on him?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

chrisf posted:

Last update I saw on that from their forums was that it's not supposed to be active yet (coming in R48?) and if you're seeing that you should put in a support ticket.
It went away after I exited and reentered the game, but it's funny because I thought they'd said that the system they were going to use was the +30/20/10/0/-10 after a win, instead of just slow bleeding forever.

One of those is way more MPQ, though.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Is Hulk an Avenger or what? What boost will work on him?

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3598

Scroll down to the 5th post.

Edit: yep, he is an Avenger.

Edit 2: I may as well post the full list as it's handy.

quote:

Avenger: Iron Man (both), Hawkeye (both), Black Widow (two non-classics only), Captain America, Spiderman (classic only), Thor, Wolverine (2-star only), Hulk

Brotherhood: Magneto (classic only), Juggernaut(1)

Dark Avenger: Moonstone, Ragnarok, Venom, Daken, Yelena, Bullseye, Ares

H.A.M.M.E.R.: all military non-heroes

Maggia: all mobster non-heroes

Mutant: Storm (both), Wolverine (all), Daken, Magneto (both)

X-men: Storm (both), Wolverine (2*,4*,Patch?), Magneto (Marvel Now)(2)

Doombot: Doctor Doom

none of the above: Bagman, Invisible Woman, Loki, Punisher, The Hood(3),

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 19, 2014

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Holy poo poo, Marvel Now Magneto is loving TERRIBLE. Heavily considering selling him (even my unleveled Classic Magneto is better than a level 14 2-3-1 Now Magneto).

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 19, 2014

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Overflight posted:

Holy poo poo, Marvel Now Magneto is loving TERRIBLE. Heavily considering selling him (even my unleveled Classic Magneto is better than a level 14 2-3-1 Now Magneto).

He's a one trick pony but that one trick can be really good, his purple generates insane amounts of Blue AP. Using it to fire off Classic Storm stuns left and right is killer in this event.

As an added bonus at higher levels his Red hits for around 2500 if you don't have anyone else using Red AP. His Blue ability is pretty much garbage.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Overflight posted:

Yeah but no one else generates nearly as much blue. Magneto classic makes 2 and cap makes 1, but you don't want to destroy them.

Magneto now is usable as a blue battery but that's about it, but he is a drat good blue battery.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't think I have the tools necessary to defeat these Hulks. Anyone have a strat that isn't 'eat him with venom/spidey'?

Also, does the AI ever get smarter? As in will it ever choose to match 5 over 4 if it had the choice between the two? Right now the AI ALWAYS matches 4 even if it could have matched a 5.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The AI doesnt know how to make T or L 5 matches, but it will make straight 5 matches.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
My Magneto Classic is sitting at 0/5/1 and I havn't put a single iso into his levels. How big is the boost in this event? I am thinking of sitting him with Storm Classic and OBW so on defense he fires off his red at every available opportunity, and basically annoys the hell out of people with the stupid long animation. I'm thinking a lot of people will see him at level 15 and ignore him as OBW and Storm are nearly always killed off first.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SynthOrange posted:

The AI doesnt know how to make T or L 5 matches, but it will make straight 5 matches.

That's because it is trying to do a 4-match. (The AI is dumb as gently caress, which can be exploited with daredevil, god knows he needs it).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Man, CStorm/OBW/Magneto NOW really is a strong team, or I've dropped into a bracket without anyone who cares. I can cream opponents pretty easily.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Patch & OBW end games way too quick. I don't think the devs intended for espionage to double-dip the strike tiles and inflict miniature thermonuclear strikes on each of her color matches. I smell another funbalance coming up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Man, CStorm/OBW/Magneto NOW really is a strong team, or I've dropped into a bracket without anyone who cares. I can cream opponents pretty easily.

Lucky you. I'm always swimming with the whales.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Are placed into your bracket before your first match?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Kjermzs posted:

Are placed into your bracket before your first match?

No you get placed into a bracket when you finish your first match. This used to allow us to hop into an event in the last hour or half hour and easily take top tens, but word got out about that and ended it. In my experience you get easier brackets if you join one with around four or eight hours to go now but that's not definitive. I guess slacker brackets may even be back!

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Also the lightning rounds and the elite tournaments are exceptions to the rule: you're placed in a bracket immediately when the event starts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

messagemode1 posted:

Also the lightning rounds and the elite tournaments are exceptions to the rule: you're placed in a bracket immediately when the event starts.

I thought those had no brackets, it was just everyone's in one.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

silvergoose posted:

I thought those had no brackets, it was just everyone's in one.

Yeah that's what I meant, though I guess I shouldn't have called it a bracket at all.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

A.o.D. posted:

Lucky you. I'm always swimming with the whales.
I was creaming it until this round - always in the top 5 doing just 2-3 fights in the morning and evening when the points reset after unlocking all the missions - now I'm swimming with whales and I'm looking at the rear end end of hours of grinding just to get an HP payout at the end. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be harming my overall ranking too much since the points are still there and that bracket isn't too aggressive.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

No you get placed into a bracket when you finish your first match. This used to allow us to hop into an event in the last hour or half hour and easily take top tens, but word got out about that and ended it. In my experience you get easier brackets if you join one with around four or eight hours to go now but that's not definitive. I guess slacker brackets may even be back!

I noticed that the last event was easier for me to place when I waited 24hrs into it. This one I joined immediately and having far more difficult matchups.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I feel like mmr is based not just on performance but on how much ISO your entire roster is worth. Has there been any insight into the mechanics? Is the consensus that it's just regular elo?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:iiam:

This event's much better designed, or at least, it fits me better. I dont need to play a whole ton. For the last few days all I need is to run a few of the Hard missions each day and I'm easily in the top 10 of the subevent and the main event.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Yeah, while I'm enjoying this event I'm going to be about 9k short of the first patch cover, just because I'm new enough to the game and haven't had the roster to power up to 50k. I Did get a fresh Daken up to lvl 48 though.

The diminishing returns on replaying the missions are killing me :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Kjermzs posted:

Yeah, while I'm enjoying this event I'm going to be about 9k short of the first patch cover, just because I'm new enough to the game and haven't had the roster to power up to 50k. I Did get a fresh Daken up to lvl 48 though.

The diminishing returns on replaying the missions are killing me :(

The purpose of diminishing returns is to make it so that the winner of each event isn't just the guy who plays non stop for 48 hours/9days.

Instead it's the guy who plays for 2 hours every 8 hours.