Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Well drat, guess I'll have to stick with emulating the PS2 Ace Combat games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RPCS3 is one of the few consumer programs that benefits from AVX-512 simply because the SPUs are such an oddball design.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

minusX posted:

It was an optional plugin that isn't offered with the default install. Most people who don't extra gently caress around with it will be fine.

Hey there was a post about this on the subreddit today (the defaults are HUGE) https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/w2gos4/psa_optimize_your_deadzones/

Yeah I had seen that post too. I dropped mine down to 3000 (there was a little bit of jiggling near the center when the stick snap back) and it helped quite a bit. I think the sticks still jut out too far for my tastes but the biggest strain was probably coming from having to push them so far all the time.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

parasyte posted:

Yeah, its insane Cell architecture requires a beast of a CPU, you'd want at minimum 8 physical cores so they can each be an SPE. Even then high-end desktop CPUs have performance issues with games like RDR or Uncharted or Infamous 2.

Nah, I have only a 5600X (granted with a beefy noctua cooler for overclocking) and it runs perfectly fine.

Of course that's still a fair bit more grunt than the deck.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 20, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Can confirm that the Deck is great for playing the Final Fantasy IV PR. Glad I spent over $550 on a machine to play a port of a 1991 SNES game.

What's up with Chrono Trigger though? I've read that the Steam version has been significantly improved since release but apparently it runs like trash?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Looks like there's lag spikes every two seconds or so.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a trick to getting Hrot to not run at single digit FPS or am I just going to have to wait for a compatibility update?

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Is anyone else having problems with controlling the map screen in Baba Is You on the Steam Deck?

In an actual level, all the directional controls work absolutely fine but on the map screen, I can't move the cursor at all so I'm stuck endlessly playing the same level over and over again.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

PSA to everyone to go to their controller calibration and adjust the massive dead zone that Valve puts on the joysticks. You are giving up on movement and aiming accuracy if you don’t. I ended up with a DZ of 3,800 on the left stick and 2,600 on the right. If defaults do an unnecessarily large 8,000+ which means they don’t have much confidence in the sticks re-center accuracy.

Sadly the joysticks are pretty bad about going to a neutral center when you release them from certain angles, so a pretty large dead zone is still needed. A Chinese company called Gulikit makes HAL Sensor replacement sticks that center perfectly after calibration, which should need a very small dead zone and those give you a noticeably larger range of control. They should also be more reliable over time and immune to stick drift. Installation seems pretty straight forward except for a bit of soldering for the capacitive function on the sticks.

Animal fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 21, 2022

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GazChap posted:

Is anyone else having problems with controlling the map screen in Baba Is You on the Steam Deck?

In an actual level, all the directional controls work absolutely fine but on the map screen, I can't move the cursor at all so I'm stuck endlessly playing the same level over and over again.

Works ok for me but I wouldn't be able to tell you why.

Anyone got any experience with docking stations? This thing good?
I just grabbed it on Amazon. I don't think I care about ethernet:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

GolfHole posted:

Works ok for me but I wouldn't be able to tell you why.

Found the listing: https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Station-OwlTree-Charging-Accessories/dp/B0B5DKVKGZ

All the images are photoshopped so I worry about the fit with everything. Also the "How to switch to desktop mode" is...for a different device completely.

It's likely going to be fine, might need to have a different charger to keep it charging as fast as normal as it's powering your device + the hub. Didn't include one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't really understand the form factor of that or the official dock it's ripping off, it's not like you're gonna use it on the little stand and it's not like the Switch toaster where there's a reason it's designed that way.

It's gonna have the same guts as any of those usb-c hubs though so I'm sure it's fine. The only meaningful difference on them is whether they do 4k30 or 4k60, and that one is 60. Important because the Deck always runs at the highest available resolution in gaming mode (until they inevitably patch this out because it's real dumb). Also the power draw which I'm sure is listed there somewhere, if you're losing more than 10W you'll want another adapter.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Deck was supposed to show up yesterday but it’s been changed to ‘pending’ with no delivery date. :negative:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

homeless snail posted:

I don't really understand the form factor of that or the official dock it's ripping off

Yea no kidding. I'd rather put mine in some sort of toaster device that keeps it safe from dust, but alas.

It'll be nice to have a parking spot in the living room without fumbling for too many wires. If it works well I'll report back (and probably grab a few more).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

My dock is a usb-c hub (stupidly bought a 4k30 one because I didn't realize the game mode thing), and a very long usb-c extension cable, so i can still hold the deck while its plugged into the tv.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is there a setting that needs to be changed when you dock? Still looks kind of crappy when I play Horizon, not quite full screen and looks kind of fuzzy. Looks fine in the actual steam UI for the library and everything, so maybe it’s just a game by game thing

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Games run at deck native resolution, menu runs at montior native res.

EDIT: I think

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

There's some thing about the Steam Deck's overlay that sets it to the highest resolution and you can't just manually restrict it to 1080p or whatever when plugged into a 4k TV which is very annoying.
Someone on Reddit mentioned this adapter to trick the Deck into thinking it's attached to a 1080p TV, though:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B094XFFSLH/

I'm halfway between just waiting for the official dock or buying this adapter in the meantime to fix my USB hub's 4k30 limitation.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

JazzFlight posted:

There's some thing about the Steam Deck's overlay that sets it to the highest resolution and you can't just manually restrict it to 1080p or whatever when plugged into a 4k TV which is very annoying.
Someone on Reddit mentioned this adapter to trick the Deck into thinking it's attached to a 1080p TV, though:

I'm halfway between just waiting for the official dock or buying this adapter in the meantime to fix my USB hub's 4k30 limitation.
Can you return the hub and just get a 60Hrz version?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Is there a setting that needs to be changed when you dock? Still looks kind of crappy when I play Horizon, not quite full screen and looks kind of fuzzy. Looks fine in the actual steam UI for the library and everything, so maybe it’s just a game by game thing
If you go into the properties of the game there's an option to increase the resolution of the container, but actually cranking the in game resolution above 720p is probably not gonna run great. You could try FSR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

You could spend like $10 more and just get a 4k60 hub.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

minusX posted:

Can you return the hub and just get a 60Hrz version?
I mean... a person could, but I've had this hub for like 2 months now and it's been great besides the 4k30 limit.
I always figured it'd just be a holdover until I got the official dock.

homeless snail posted:

You could spend like $10 more and just get a 4k60 hub.
Any specific recommended hub? The whole reason I bought the one I have was because people guaranteed it didn't brick their Deck and allowed for fast charging. Some hubs at launch had one problem or another.
Like, some redditors are saying how the Anker 555 is great and I check the price on that and it's $80.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 21, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Almost done processing first day of us 512 orders.... They're cooking with gas it seems

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Any specific recommended hub? The whole reason I bought the one I have was because people guaranteed it didn't brick their Deck and allowed for fast charging. Some hubs at launch had one problem or another.
Like, some redditors are saying how the Anker 555 is great and I check the price on that and it's $80.
I don't think there's any real worry about these things bricking a Deck, some of them did brick Switches but that's more Nintendo's fault getting usb-c wrong than the hubs, they pretty much all have the same chipsets though. As far as fast charging, the only things you have to look at is how many watts it outputs and how many it consumes. The Deck comes with a 45W adapter but I'm pretty sure it never draws more than 30W itself, so you have 10-15Ws to play with to give the hub before you'd have to step up to a bigger adapter. Only thing is if you want USB 3.1 for plugging in an external SSD or something, don't think there's a lot of hubs that are both 4k60 and 3.1, which is why that Anker is popular.

Don't have this one so I can't vouch for it, but this one checks all the boxes for $20 and the reviews seem fine https://www.amazon.com/Multiport-Adapter-Delivery-Charging-MacBook/dp/B098RTGV47/ e: if that one is too sketchy here's a better looking one for $35

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 21, 2022

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Got my email today! Already have a 512 GB card sitting here waiting for it from Prime Day sales, and I might even set up Windows on the 256 I was using in my Switch up until recently for the games that give SteamOS too much trouble for now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to trigger a compatibility survey on a game? Valve says they have no info on the updated Quake source port but it basically plays perfectly.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is there a way to trigger a compatibility survey on a game? Valve says they have no info on the updated Quake source port but it basically plays perfectly.

I think this has to be done by the developer, within steamworks there's a 'submit for re-review' button

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Playing some Oxygen Not Included because I noticed it was verified and was kinda skeptical at how well it would handle, and whoa this is like the platonic ideal of a game built for the Steam Deck. Everything is exposed as Steam Input actions, including separate cursor/camera axes, and every single menu and map overlay. Default mapping is so-so, but its so much easier to remap this way.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

by the time my steamdeck comes in, I'm gonna have all the accessories for it ready to go :angel:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

not that i'm gonna go crazy with it right away but i got wifi working in my room finally (it was a dead zone) and i might start doing some xcloud streaming to the deck. you know what that means.... power wash time.....

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i've been travelling on holiday with the deck and it feels just a bit too big to take out casually to play while in transit or on the plane. fine for in hotel use
very much a ymmv situation of course

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah I'm taking a long trip later this year and plan to just bring a Vita or something. With the Deck so hard to find it's not worth getting lost, stolen, or damaged.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

shrike82 posted:

i've been travelling on holiday with the deck and it feels just a bit too big to take out casually to play while in transit or on the plane. fine for in hotel use
very much a ymmv situation of course

It is very good on plane tho

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I've just received an email for my UK 512 GB reservation placed on 17 July last year Quite excited to start getting through my backlog! Thanks to everyone posting game recommendations and advice, super helpful thread.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

GazChap posted:

Worked this out -- for some reason the initial load of the map screen I was on when I last played on my desktop put the cursor on a level that was impossible to move from (i.e. no open levels next to it) and I just didn't notice.

Had to go back to the island map and now all is well!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

ShaneB posted:

It is very good on plane tho

Whats wrong about playing with it on the airplane? I was on a 5 hour flight and it was great. Plugged it into an outlet and played MGSV at 60fps for over 3 hours. Hands never cramped like they would with a Nintendo Switch.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Finally got my email, much excite. Beyond the fact that it's a Switch that plays my Steam library, it's actually a substantial PC upgrade for me too since my laptop is getting pretty outdated.

It's been awhile since I checked in on what people are hacking with their Decks--has someone figured out how to get FF14 (non-Steam) running on it yet?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

XIVLauncher works well!

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

This thing works great. No complaints so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the easiest way to play ff14 is probably to just extract proton-GE from github into .steam/steam/compatibilitytools.d/ and use that to run the game, you can select a custom proton version in game properties once you extract it and restart steam

if you wanna run xivlauncher, idk how much more complicated that is these days but i know it's much better than it used to be