Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

suboptimal posted:

I know you've been tracking IRAMs in Syria; is it possible that this is basically a dramatically upgraded one?

Absolutely, I've been collecting all sorts of images of variants on the IRAM concept (standard artillery rocket with it's warhead replaced with a much larger one), and there's plenty that have been popping up in Syria and Iraq being used by Shia groups. Here's some examples

Interestingly, some of those are based on the Iranian Falaq-2 rocket, so at least some of these are coming from Iran. In this image from Iraq you can see a Falaq-2 crate dated 2013

In other news:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

That is the most British headline ever and I love it.

The Middle East: Weak from constant bouts of MAN LOVE

Gen. Ripper fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Nov 26, 2014

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Brown Moses posted:

In other news:

In case folks don't recognize it, that's the evidence-based approach to dissuade ISIS recruitment. Its effective, and for individuals not actively isolated from their social network with a higher-perceived value than their ISIS-affiliated network, its the best method currently known.

The world needs more front-page, full-color articles linking militant islam with pants making GBS threads. Would be an interesting policy to attempt in Kenya to demonstrate cost-effectiveness before European roll-out.

Muffiner
Sep 16, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

In case folks don't recognize it, that's the evidence-based approach to dissuade ISIS recruitment. Its effective, and for individuals not actively isolated from their social network with a higher-perceived value than their ISIS-affiliated network, its the best method currently known.

The world needs more front-page, full-color articles linking militant islam with pants making GBS threads. Would be an interesting policy to attempt in Kenya to demonstrate cost-effectiveness before European roll-out.

British Tabloids: The Epitome of Evidence Based Investigative Journalism. Stopping Jihadi Recruitment One Gay Sex Headline At a Time.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Muffiner posted:

British Tabloids: The Epitome of Evidence Based Investigative Journalism. Stopping Jihadi Recruitment One Gay Sex Headline At a Time.

Whether the journalism is evidence based doesn't matter, it's that "if you join ISIS you're gay and poo poo your pants" hurts the ego of wannabe toughguy jihadists.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

[citation needed]

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
The Sunday Sport doesn't even pretend to do journalism though, they just make up ridiculous stories for fun and intersperse them with pictures of tits. It's a parody tabloid, basically an Onion/Daily Mash equivalent for really, really stupid people.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
You made me curious and I looked for it. It's available for free on the internet and in this issue they're talking about the Iraqi army training lions to kill ISIS, next to a story of a dude having sex with some packaged Lasagne and some naked chicks reading Shakespeare's sonnets. I'm not making this up.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Shakespeare sonnets, that's how you know it's classy.

One of their most famous stories was a apparent WW2 bomber being found on the moon.

It's basically the onion without the clever writing or social commentary.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

blowfish posted:

Whether the journalism is evidence based doesn't matter, it's that "if you join ISIS you're gay and poo poo your pants" hurts the ego of wannabe toughguy jihadists.

But the gays!!! And the diaper fetishists!!! With these new lifestyle recruits ISIS will be unstoppable

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

blowfish posted:

Absolutely, i hope we see more of this.

Baudolino fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 27, 2014

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

An Italian female journalist is embedded with the Badr Brigades, or so she just said on TV.

Anyway, is it me or the ISIS is starting to lose ground, at least as far as media support goes? The few last reports haven't been favourable to them, and in the last few days/pages there's been few good news for them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cippalippus posted:

An Italian female journalist is embedded with the Badr Brigades, or so she just said on TV.

Anyway, is it me or the ISIS is starting to lose ground, at least as far as media support goes? The few last reports haven't been favourable to them, and in the last few days/pages there's been few good news for them.

They've probably reached their natural limits (where they have to evict/kill a sizable minority/majority of the population).

Peace Frog
Oct 7, 2009
NYTimes: U.S. Adds Air Power, but ISIS Presents an Elusive Target
http://nyti.ms/1yYoVnr

phone posting so can't quote properly.

interesting piece on the targeting side of things in the ISIS war.

Worth nothing that the article says of all strikes in Syria through the past week, only 25% have been planned. In Iraq - 5%.

The rest - opportunity or "popup" strikes. As in, hey there's a convoy over there, drop all the bombs.

This is fascinating to me. Does anyone have any further reading on the air war that would go into depth on targeting?

and someone smarter than me can probably weigh in on this, but this sort of data being pushed out there is aimed at supporting the argument for more troops on the ground, to assist with targeting, right?

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/iraqi-warplanes-kill-isis-commander-heet-22-aides/

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

See the freedom. Feel the freedom.

Aswat Masriya posted:

CAIRO (Reuters) - Egypt's cabinet approved on Wednesday a draft anti-terrorism law that would give the government blanket power to ban groups on charges ranging from harming national unity to disrupting public order.

Authorities have cracked down hard on Islamist, secular and liberal opposition alike since the army toppled elected Islamist president Mohamed Mursi last year after mass unrest against his rule, dashing hopes for a more robust democracy stirred by the fall of longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

The government already has broad security powers and has been able to exercise them largely at will - jailing thousands of Mursi supporters and more recently many leading lights of the 2011 uprising - because of many Egyptians' weariness with lawlessness that crippled the economy after Mubarak's fall.

The draft legislation, however, would help enshrine the security crackdown in the criminal code by permitting authorities to classify groups as "terrorist" according to a long list of offences, some of them non-violent.

"A terrorist entity is considered any organization... which practices or seeks in any way to disrupt public order or exposes society's integrity, interests or security to harm," the draft legislation reads.

Any group designated as terrorist would be dissolved, the draft stipulates. It also allows for the freezing of assets belonging to the designated group, its members and financiers.

The government is already able to seize Brotherhood assets based on a specific court order; the new legal draft would ease such action against other groups.

The proposal must be approved by a judicial advisory body before Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, who as head of the armed forces ousted Mursi in July 2013 and was elected president in May this year, can sign it into law.

Egypt declared Mursi's Muslim Brotherhood a banned terrorist organization last December and Egyptian courts have sentenced hundreds of the group's members to death in mass trials that have drawn strong international criticism.

The Brotherhood formally renounced violence as a tool of political change decades ago and has denied any link with increased Islamist militant violence following Mursi's exit.

But Sisi's government does not distinguish between it and militants based mainly in the Sinai Peninsula where the army is fighting an insurgent group that recently pledged loyalty to Islamic State insurgents in Iraq and Syria.

(Reporting by Stephen Kalin; Editing by Mark Heinrich)

Under this law, practically every single group that goes against the government can be classified as a terrorist organization. Also, the government released its fact-finding mission on events post June 30, 2013, and unsurprisingly, blamed everything on Islamists and recommended that every religiously-oriented party be dissolved. Wonder how stupid Al-Nour feels for hitching themselves to Sisi.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Man, I remember in the aftermath of the army opening fire on peaceful protestors in the wake of the coup how some goons were still rattling on about how having the Muslim Brotherhood remain in power would have been worse.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Funny of the media articles goes out of their way to never mention the word coup when speaking about Egypt, and uses words such as "ousted" instead while pointing out that Sisi really is "elected".

:suicide:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Egypt is so goddamn depressing, all hope for change brutally crushed :smith:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

This is the most depressing thing about Egypt

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xandu posted:

If you live under an authoritarian regime, how likely are you to trust that your answers to a survey will truly be anonymous?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Xandu posted:

To be fair to Egyptians, Sisi's administration has been using the gulf money pretty visibly. There's a ton of infrastructure projects all over Cairo that give the impression of an active government. Besides, Sisi has the full support of most media outlets, and it turns out that's really all you need to be a successful autocrat here.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you live under an authoritarian regime, how likely are you to trust that your answers to a survey will truly be anonymous?

I'm inclined to believe it's genuine given how the aftermath of the coup played out. The military definitely has a lot of support, for whatever reason.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://abcnews.go.com/International/special-ops-team-frees-al-qaeda-hostages-yemeni/story?id=27194197

This is pretty crazy. US special forces on the ground attempting to rescue an American hostage (presumably this guy) and some other Westerners, but ended up rescuing a bunch of other hostages instead.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Definitely plausible. I imagine Mubarak also enjoyed very high approval ratings.

edit: quoted wrong person

Xandu fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Nov 27, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I wouldn't place your thoughts in these polls, they mean nothing because it's easy to poll high when everyone who might oppose you is dead and in jail, and when the net is being monitored very extensively. The real proof was the horrible turnout for his rigged elections.

If some Egyptians (especially those garbage who call themselves Egyptian seculars and liberals) want to live like pigs who are happy to eat poo poo forever let them, I for one will never return there because every good person I knew has had their lives destroyed (in more ways than one) and I severed relations with everyone who supported Sisi. So I've got nothing to go back there for except one thing which is super important but even then I'd go there half scared for my life.

I just really wish this thing wasn't as big a black cloud as it is, I really feel bad for Ham and the few remaining good people I know who actually have to try and eke out an existence in that place.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 27, 2014

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/12/05/militias-baghdad-287142.html?piano_d=1

newsweek profile on shiite militias battling in Iraq. pretty decent.

quote:

“The truth is,” says Safa Hussein al-Sheikh, the deputy national security adviser, “they prove to be more effective fighters than the security forces in many situations. They have experience from fighting the Americans, and from recently fighting in Syria.”

He pauses, and does not seem happy about his conclusion. “Fighting the Americans made them really experienced, really strong fighters.”

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ham posted:

To be fair to Egyptians, Sisi's administration has been using the gulf money pretty visibly. There's a ton of infrastructure projects all over Cairo that give the impression of an active government. Besides, Sisi has the full support of most media outlets, and it turns out that's really all you need to be a successful autocrat here.

Mada Masr just ran a long, but good article about Sisi's grand development projects. After the moribund later years of Mubarak and how Morsi was on the defensive since more or less day one, it seems as though Sisi's trying to come out swinging. I'm sure there's no shortage of scapegoats at the ready in the event of failure.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

And in another Egypt development, Ajnad Masr (Soldiers of Egypt), a jihadist group which has pulled off some very well-targeted bombings, released a pretty flashy video of their own yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gpPWG3ID0A

Edit: I'm only about five minutes in, but these guys know their audience. Lots of shots of the Rabaa dispersal, Sisi, Interior Minister Mohammed Ibrahim, and various raids by the police and military. What's interesting to me is that the video is really Egypt-centric, but I'm pretty sure that the announcer is speaking Fusha as opposed to the Egyptian dialect. Could be wrong, though.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 27, 2014

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Sorry for spamming the thread; I'm on night shifts and bored. File this one under "Ghouta Can't Catch A Break:"

quote:

GENEVA/BEIRUT, Nov 27 (Reuters) - At least three wounded people have been infected near Damascus with a tropical disease spread by flies that had never before been reported in Syria, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

The outbreak of myiasis, also known as screw worm, stems from deteriorating water and sanitation conditions. While not life-threatening, its presence is an indicator of how bad health conditions have become, according to the global health body.

A video posted online this week appeared to show a doctor removing maggots from the skin in the back of a wounded girl's head and a dozen extracted maggots squirming in a petri dish. Later it shows her with re-grown hair and small bald patches.

The video claimed to have been filmed in the rebel-held Ghouta area east of Damascus and was posted on YouTube by the Syrian Media Organisation, which describes itself as the media arm of rebel groups in southern Syria.

"We are very concerned, not just about the three cases but about public health," Elisabeth Hoff, WHO representative in Damascus, said late on Wednesday.

"We are concerned about the deterioration in the water and sanitation situation, we are not able to deliver regularly in the area, only on an ad hoc basis."

Syrian officials could not immediately be contacted on Thursday for comment. The WHO said the three myiasis cases were reported by the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) in the eastern Ghouta area last week and confirmed by a local WHO contact person.

Myiasis occurs when fly larvae infect open wounds. Preventative measures include using insecticide to kill flies and washing clothes in hot water or ironing them - all difficult in areas with shortages of insecticide, electricity and soap.

"If there were proper access to water and sanitation services, you could impede it," Hoff said. "The WHO is advocating for better water and sanitation in the area and trying to send hygiene kits."

In one example of the difficult conditions, the WHO said that armed groups took control of two major sources of drinking water for Damascus on Friday last week and cut off two-thirds of the provincial supply for 28 hours.

Since then, there have been negotiations between the government and armed groups to restore a full, constant supply, the WHO said.

It estimated that around 300,000 people in rural areas south of Damascus went without drinking water during the cut because water from their well fields was diverted to the capital's water supply network. (Reporting by Stephanie Nebehay in Geneva and Sylvia Westall in Beirut; Editing by Tom Heneghan)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Unusual video from the YPG in Kobane, they claim this is an Islamic State VBIED they managed to stop before it reached it's target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoEJtjYz6vs

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Brown Moses posted:

Unusual video from the YPG in Kobane, they claim this is an Islamic State VBIED they managed to stop before it reached it's target.

Are those cylinder-objects just shell casings they filled with the explosive, or what?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It's a fairly standard thing with these to have those cylinders filled with explosive and connected together with det cord.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

My Imaginary GF posted:

Local Man Intuits His Way to a Bunch of Silly Foreign Policy poo poo on the Internet

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

"Brother I'm too busy to go with you to the dubstep show, I'm going to sit around smoking player's originals and reading the sunday sport"

-A vulnerable young Muslim Briton

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Volkerball posted:

I'm inclined to believe it's genuine given how the aftermath of the coup played out. The military definitely has a lot of support, for whatever reason.

as far as unelected dictators go nasser's military regime left a much more positive impression on egyptians than any of the civilian autocrats that followed him

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Farm Frenzy posted:

as far as unelected dictators go nasser's military regime left a much more positive impression on egyptians than any of the civilian autocrats that followed him

Military dictatorships are usually extremely popular among the vast majority of citizens, until precisely the moment when they aren't, at which point the unhappy elite come out the woodwork to demand money and tax exemptions.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

My Imaginary GF posted:

lmao, MIGF.

Thanks for making a Middle East thread on SA, Lascivious Sloth, it looks really great. I do enjoy political discussion with diverging opinions. Hopefully incisive & thoughtful posts are the norm, but I am familiar with SA forum general standards as a long-time 'Lurker' so I am not holding my breath for that. That is ok as "Mediated Arguments" can be fun as a serious expression of points of view in a moderated 'nexus' context. Like any set of large buildings, really. They bring out the best in me. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Israel, headed by PM Benjamin Netanyahu & President Reuven Rivlin, & supported by the Americans, has successfully kept clear of their enemies & recruited allies in this latest ISIS disaster. The Middle East is like a 'no flex zone', or a sauna without a venthole/blow off valve (BOV): blasting out waves & waves of random heat constantly. You need a big bucket of ice water to throw on rocs just to cool off. Guarantee you this is the catchphrase that officials say in the Middle East: "Very Nice, I Like! You said it!" It would be funny if they did cause that's pretty much what they're like.

Israel has come a long way from the Six-Day War era & the Lebanon War timeframe in terms of the tenets of their foreign policy, but they're still really militant about boundaries. It seems like a bad idea for Israel to engage in 'police action' with regards to ISIS so I'm glad that they haven't flexed any muscle there. Too much blood & gore in the Middle East as is. On that note, it's 2014 and Israel still does not accept opposition leader Yasir Arafat's Palestine as a real nation, which is unbelievably blockheaded. My Lebanese classmate would be irked, i say. Irked! Maybe that's why Israel doesn't play well with other nations? Not everyone loves a macho, pushy culture.

When my middle-aged parents visited Israel on an international trip with coworkers from my mom's work, I 'interviewed' them about it after they got back, & they said it was like a castle every few miles. I saw some pictures of it & everything seemed really epic, like Saladin was still alive in the Middle East or something. But I digress.

e: In general, it seems like Somalia, Iran & Saudi Arabia make the most news in the conflicted Middle 3ast with this ISIS debacle. Yeah, Ham, Sisi has done a 'fairly good' job applying infrastructure changes inside Egypt, or I should say, as good as one could expect given the circumstances. Nobody in Egypt is complaining about yet another 'big cheese' at the pinnacle, at least not publicly, even though there is palpable unrest at the edges of society. Mr. Sisi looks like Mubarak who looked like the last tireless & unpopular boss in office inside Egypt.. just sayin. I feel like maybe that this is just 'the product that Egypt publishes,' to borrow a phrase from Carlson School of Business. My Iranian classmate with the 300z would say, "That's just how they roll over there."

e2: Basically it seems to translate that OPEC is the center of gravity of the Middle East. They are nicely fronted by Saudi Arabia & stapled together with Kuwait/U.A.E./Iraq against Iran. My cousin at Weatherford lives in North Dakota, and he has said that there are oilfields in the Americas in Bakken, Saskatchewon & the Gulf of Mexico, so coming to the Middle East just to get some oil is really stupid.

A3th3r fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 1, 2014

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Side note, but why call a Car Bomb a "VBIED"? Let's just call it a car bomb, and leave dumb acronyms to the americans.
Anyway, why do you find it unusual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Cippalippus posted:

Side note, but why call a Car Bomb a "VBIED"? Let's just call it a car bomb, and leave dumb acronyms to the americans.
Anyway, why do you find it unusual?

Because when IED is already the norm, using car means you would have to use a different term if it was a truck, tractor, unimog, bus, caterpillar, etc. VBIED is inclusive.

• Locked thread