Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's been so long since I played CKII that I don't even remember where they house the army details, how to raise an army, how to initiate diplomacy, if diplomacy even exists in this game, or how to gently caress my cousin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
March of the Eagles has much more in depth naval and land combat for what it's worth. For example it has forts blocking army movements and stuff like that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ahh, CKII

I didn't even expand at all I just had fun reading all the weird events for a while. I think Im gonna become king of ireland and then just call it, hopefully this happens before the EU4 update

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I got sick and recovered roughly 8 times in two years which was mildly epic, and then I had that kid. So he had a hell of a midlife crisis.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Stairmaster posted:

I think i made a mistake

yeah you did

mote is only good as an mp wargame but good luck finding anyone who wants to play it with you when they could be doing anything else

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

march of the eagles was made by a different studio, "paradox france", formerly and afterward known as AGEOD. (MotE was enough of a fiasco that Paradox ended up dropping the entire studio and finishing the game in-house.)

it has some fun ideas (March To The Sound Of Guns) and seems like it'd be fun in multiplayer - but how on earth are you going to get a multiplayer game of March of the Eagles together?

i was so excited about the ageod clausewitz thing because their engine is dogshit and clausewitz ran real good at the time, but then they left again and paradox dumped their janky in-progress game on us and never looked back. and ageod went back to awful unoptimized games you need 16gb of ram to play. not good for anyone involved really

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Did Stellaris ever get fun single player?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

Did Stellaris ever get fun single player?

NOPE.

I mean, if you didn't like it before none of the changes will make it better for you. Maybe they'll do expansions or something and add things to do to the game

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 5, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

more like march of the space eagles imho

e: senglaris

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris would be a lot better if it was a paid version of Crisis of the Confederation or was based on the Empire breaking apart in Asimov's foundation novels or something. It's like if EU4 only let you pick the random nation option and it's equally boring

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Larry Parrish posted:

Stellaris would be a lot better if it was a paid version of Crisis of the Confederation or was based on the Empire breaking apart in Asimov's foundation novels or something. It's like if EU4 only let you pick the random nation option and it's equally boring

i don't think it has to be based on any particular existing setting, but it needed to have a setting. paradox has a really unique thing, their games set in actual worlds with both powerful empires and one-province nobodies coexisting from the start, and they could've applied that to space and done cool stuff. instead, they made yet another generic 4x. why? why do devs like generic space 4xs so much...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. It sucks because stellaris is actually really good in MP, but like many space 4x games, it's insanely boring in singleplayer because the AI is brain dead and there isn't even any kind of super weapon the AI can use to win if the player isn't paying attention like some other games

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Stellaris will be good after wiz (pbuh) releases two expansions for it

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

rediscover posted:

me right sfter switching over to EU4 immediately following 400 in game years of CK2 with diff mechanics and everything: War has changed

me right sfter switching over to EU4 immediately following 400 in game years of CK2 with diff mechanics and everything: War is basically still me throwing larger numbers against smaller numbers.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think HoI is the only game with sufficiently deep combat where more numbers isn't better. Stellaris is funny because it has EU4 naval combat where you just stack a few big ships and crush hundreds of smaller ones effortlesslh

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

BBJoey posted:

Stellaris will be good after wiz (pbuh) releases two expansions for it

The next patch/DLC coming out this month has a bunch of new events and stuff that trigger in the midgame which should make singleplayer more interesting

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Larry Parrish posted:

I think HoI is the only game with sufficiently deep combat where more numbers isn't better. Stellaris is funny because it has EU4 naval combat where you just stack a few big ships and crush hundreds of smaller ones effortlesslh

effortlessly*

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

When I played all you had to do was stack thousands of the weakest ship and since it had such high maneuverability they were functionally invincible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Larry Parrish posted:

but without terrain, forts, retreats, and manpower/war exhaustion so incredibly boring

new xpac looks like it'll make the combat a little more interesting and having fallen empires take swipes at each other would shake it up a little but I'm not really convinced it'll make it worth more than a game or two

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

When I played all you had to do was stack thousands of the weakest ship and since it had such high maneuverability they were functionally invincible

tehy fixed that a while back and i think there is another combat reowkr due in the next patch as well

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

They nerfed evasion so now having big ships that can one shot most of the other classes is the meta

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
All I did was churn out shitloads of corvettes from my minor factories with nothing but piles of armor on them and then my good docks pumped out battleships with big guns. It allowed my battleship numbers to bloat and I could just go from battle to battle without ever replenishing.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
naval combat is the worst part of every paradox game, so if they actually based stellaris's combat off it, that's... very funny.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

PleasingFungus posted:

naval combat is the worst part of every paradox game, so if they actually based stellaris's combat off it, that's... very funny.

There is ground combat (planetary invasions) in Stellaris as well and it is terrible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

imagine sieges in CK2 if you had to micromanage moving your siege engines to the front lines and lining up around the castle

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I got it mostly because it's nice to have a space game that doesn't suck master of orion' s cock. It will be good eventually.

Evwntually meaning 2 years and 80 dollars in dlc from now :shepspends:

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Agean90 posted:

I got it mostly because it's nice to have a space game that doesn't suck master of orion' s cock. It will be good eventually.

There's a new MoO, right? Does it suck?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

edit wrong thread.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Agean90 posted:

This. It definitely needs some improvement, but I feel they've laid out the foundations of a good game that just needs a littlelot of expanding upon. I think the early game/exploration phase is good/interesting, but it falls flat after this stage, once you hit the mid-game. Once they release a couple of ex-pacs, I reckon it'll be a decent game and up there in the 'classic Paradox grand strat' list with CK2, EU3, EU4, HoI2, etc. (and to be honest I figured that this would be the case, as this is a different kind of strategy game that they're trying to make here, so I wasn't disappointed with my purchase. It just confirmed my suspicions that although the game has been released, I'll need to wait a year or so before it becomes properly fun/playable :v:)

In Training posted:

edit wrong thread.

I saw your post just before you edited it - would you mind telling me what game you were posting about? Your comment made it seem quite interesting! (before you removed it anyway, heh)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought I was posting in the Dragon Quest VII thread :sweatdrop:

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If you bend the rules enough it could be considered a map game. It has a map, at least.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

Agean90 posted:

It will be good eventually.

:hai:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I don't think it's possible to make interesting naval combat on a strategic level.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Agean90 posted:

you could have just bought distant worlds you know

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

you could have just bought distant worlds you know

I have. and ive played it to the point where its various flaws annoy me to much to play it for a year or so.

which is almost exactly how i feel about victoria 2 now that i think about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

I don't think it's possible to make interesting naval combat on a strategic level.

empire of the sun (boardgame about the pacific war) had a really good system but it has just enough abstraction that it wouldn't work in a paradox game

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish there were games with cool naval combat... Most of them suck or they're really detailed but abstracted. I wanna watch sails get destroyed by cannon and have it affect the ship

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I wish there were games with cool naval combat... Most of them suck or they're really detailed but abstracted. I wanna watch sails get destroyed by cannon and have it affect the ship

Sid Meier's Pirates!
Sid Meier's Pirates! Gold
Sid Meier's Pirates! Live the Life

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Agean90 posted:

Speaking of lovely space 4xes, Endless Space 2 is on early access...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ill just sit for the next big stellaris patch to come out tyvm