Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Elfgames posted:

Wizard was nowhere near as boring as ghost

It was worse, you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If I had to choose between watching wizard and setting my pubes on fire it's a tough call

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Wizard was better than Ghost, but only because it didn't drop the ball entirely with the secondary Rider. Kamen Rider Beast was real, and strong, and my friend.

Ghost seemed like it was going to become good on like 3 separate occasions and squandered it every time. Wizard was at least consistent :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

deadly_pudding posted:

Wizard was better than Ghost, but only because it didn't drop the ball entirely with the secondary Rider. Kamen Rider Beast was real, and strong, and my friend.

Ghost seemed like it was going to become good on like 3 separate occasions and squandered it every time. Wizard was at least consistent :v:

Agreed. Beast was a wonderful guy from start to finish and even if he got his rear end kicked more often than not by the end of the show, he still got to have some kind of closure with Chimera and a big hero moment. I don't know what the gently caress that Second Specter storyline was and Necrom didn't even get a drat upgrade form. >:|

Wizard may have been a bit boring, but I still enjoyed watching it for better or worse, whereas Ghost actively frustrated me with how lovely it was throughout the whole Ganmeiser arc. They really should have stuck to the heroes, the Ryoma Sakamoto arc in particular was probably my two favorite episodes because of how great Sakamoto was and how well the actor was able to sell the possession.

EDIT: Note when I say I don't know what the Specter story was, I meant it didn't make sense and it was written badly. Having made the mistake of watching the lovely Specter movie, I do know what it was, even if I wish I didn't.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

PMush Perfect posted:

Toku Thread V3: Kamen Rider is good again!

let's wait until Build shows what it can do before we make statements we can't take back.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Wizard had a few good parts besides Beast, namely Phoenix and Gremlin. Otherwise it was indeed consistently boring.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

GuyUpNorth posted:

Wizard had a few good parts besides Beast, namely Phoenix and Gremlin. Otherwise it was indeed consistently boring.

Yeah, Wizard kicking Phoenix into the sun to fry for eternity was pretty rad.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

"There will be no finale for you" is an amazing line that perfectly fits with Haruto beating an undying enemy.

It's so good it could even trick you into thinking Haruto has a personality.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It got you thinking "how will they top THAT!?", and then they didn't.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Wizard had all of the potential of an unpolished gem. Sadly, it stayed that way.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
What makes me maddest about Wizard is how it would occasionally gesture in the direction of an interesting question (usually "what if Haruto isn't as stunningly brilliant and sexy as he makes out") and then hand Wizard a victory anyway by literal magic while yelling about how HE IS HOPE.

It's not that nothing happened in Wizard, though it didn't. It's that stuff kept almost happening in Wizard. And also that all the nothing made me wish I was watching a show about best Kamen Rider Magical Girl Beast-chan.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Unrelated

Caphi posted:

I hope it's like Gaim in that it starts out very silly and stylized and then goes completely bugnuts with deaths and betrayal and trauma but it still has HIT and CRITICAL and WATCHA NAME.

I forgot I posted this and now I feel prophetic.

*ahem* I hope Build is totally awesome.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, Wizard was frustrating in that there would be the odd episode where they actually put effort into Haruto's character writing, Rinko would actually do something meaningful, etc., only to go right back to most everyone being dull and dumb and do-nothing. They totally had the pieces to make a good show, but decided to just coast and do a completely perfunctory-at-best job for most of it. The opening of Ultimatum is loving crazy in comparison since it's like a mirror dimension version of Wizard where the cast is cool and does poo poo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Caphi posted:

Unrelated

I forgot I posted this and now I feel prophetic.

*ahem* I hope Build is totally awesome.

there were some blurrs on your crystal ball as we have not had watcha name for many episodes now

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hemingway To Go! posted:

there were some blurrs on your crystal ball as we have not had watcha name for many episodes now

Personally I find DREAMING GIRL LOVE SIMULATION and DANGER DANGER GENOCIDE DEATH CRISIS to be fully acceptable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
That was still a pretty good call. Good job, Caphi.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The Build suit is so good and makes me really hype for seeing it in action. The Densha Otoko writer dude gives me lots of hope too. It has huge shoes to fill after Ex-Aid though. It's been seriously great lately!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Seeing the news on Build has got me bitten by the Kamen Rider bug(man) again. Wondering if I want to resume Drive (though I only watched the first two eps but liked what I saw well enough) or get started on Ex-Aid.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Unlucky7 posted:

Seeing the news on Build has got me bitten by the Kamen Rider bug(man) again. Wondering if I want to resume Drive (though I only watched the first two eps but liked what I saw well enough) or get started on Ex-Aid.
Drive is really, really good, and it's still theoretically possible that Ex-Aid could poo poo the bed in the home stretch, so I say Drive. (Just keep in mind there's some rough patches here and there. It doesn't get REALLY good until Drive gets the stupid-looking F1 form.)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drive doesn't get really good until kamen rider chase

it's still pretty good up till then tho

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Drive is really, really good, and it's still theoretically possible that Ex-Aid could poo poo the bed in the home stretch, so I say Drive. (Just keep in mind there's some rough patches here and there. It doesn't get REALLY good until Drive gets the stupid-looking F1 form.)

The suits (except for Chase and Mach) are about the only thing that sorta detracts from Drive. Also how they sorta kept Kiriko on the sidelines even though she seemed more than competent and skilled enough to be a Rider.

It's still a really good series with a balanced tone. Also one of the movies had this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFueQVmNqv4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kiriko was the fighter and shinnosuke was the ace detective, so naturally they had the guy who was honestly kinda poo poo at fighting do both that and the investigating.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Caphi posted:

Personally I find DREAMING GIRL LOVE SIMULATION and DANGER DANGER GENOCIDE DEATH CRISIS to be fully acceptable.

"Every girl's heart is a Tokimeki Crisis!' is the best jingle IMO.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

which subs translate it like that? excite subs does that jingle as 'a maiden's heart goes wild in tokimeki crisis' and i really dig the way that one flows

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The best part is apparently if you stick the Tokimeki Crisis gashat into the original Buggle Driver toy, it'll scream "GENOCIDE" in the middle of the happy song about girl's hearts.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coq au Nandos posted:

The best part is apparently if you stick the Tokimeki Crisis gashat into the original Buggle Driver toy, it'll scream "GENOCIDE" in the middle of the happy song about girl's hearts.

Every Gashat is better in the Buggle Driver if only because of the added GENOCIDE.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Why are we even talking about anything that isn't I'M READY! for battleship

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Why are we even talking about anything that isn't I'M READY! for battleship

jetto jetto in the sky

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brother Entropy posted:

which subs translate it like that? excite subs does that jingle as 'a maiden's heart goes wild in tokimeki crisis' and i really dig the way that one flows

RTA which are usually ahead of Excite by a few days.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

jetto jetto in the sky

I love how it's a blatant reference to the Jetman theme song

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I didn't know Tokimeki Crisis had a different primary Gamer Driver jingle until today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glr_-xlyOXw

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Motto posted:

Yeah, Wizard was frustrating in that there would be the odd episode where they actually put effort into Haruto's character writing, Rinko would actually do something meaningful, etc., only to go right back to most everyone being dull and dumb and do-nothing. They totally had the pieces to make a good show, but decided to just coast and do a completely perfunctory-at-best job for most of it. The opening of Ultimatum is loving crazy in comparison since it's like a mirror dimension version of Wizard where the cast is cool and does poo poo.
Wizard had a great cast, they just had godawful scripts and direction. The suits all looked great too, I just feel like they decide everyone once in a while to phone it all in and not make any effort to making a decent show so they just pump out this season nobody is invested in and call it a day so they can go out early and spend less money.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Also my only criticism of Drive is that Go should have died for Chase's sins instead.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kiriko was the fighter and shinnosuke was the ace detective, so naturally they had the guy who was honestly kinda poo poo at fighting do both that and the investigating.
Shotaro??

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

I didn't know Tokimeki Crisis had a different primary Gamer Driver jingle until today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glr_-xlyOXw

All Gashats, except the Proto Gashats, have sounds for both the first and second slot. Here's a soundboard, it's fun and only lacks a few Gashats such as the Dual ones and Ex-Aid's final ones.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

Wizard had a great cast, they just had godawful scripts and direction.

Yeah I meant the characters rather than the actors. They put in good work when they were allowed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

Wizard had a great cast, they just had godawful scripts and direction. The suits all looked great too, I just feel like they decide everyone once in a while to phone it all in and not make any effort to making a decent show so they just pump out this season nobody is invested in and call it a day so they can go out early and spend less money.

Wizard is the epitome of wasted potential. All of the elements were there except for the two most vital to take a series from bland to amazing or camp to cult.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As far as Kyuranger is concerned, I'm still not wild about Tsurugi at the moment (he seems a tad overpowered, even by sixth ranger standards) but I like that we now basically have two complete Sentai teams, each with their own Red and Blue ranger.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

Wizard is the epitome of wasted potential. All of the elements were there except for the two most vital to take a series from bland to amazing or camp to cult.

I mean what other kamen rider show are you gonna see where the main character almost willingly nukes a city because he feels a bit guilty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Elfgames posted:

I mean what other kamen rider show are you gonna see where the main character almost willingly nukes a city because he feels a bit guilty

:eyepop:

A successor to Kuuga?!?!? I must watch Wizard immediately!

• Locked thread