Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

A handful of people are steering the world to climate disaster and I'm here trying to figure out why you two think Oregon loggers and truckers are that exact handful.

No.

Not even close.

A handful of people are sitting at the top sure.

But let’s be completely honest with each other. The people steering us towards the crisis are the hundreds f millions of people in the global middle class who want to consume as much as possible as cheaply as possible.
Billionaires suck and shouldn’t exist but they exist with the tacit approval of the status quo.

And it’s the people who think we can just keep down that path and make sure the people on top get changed out.

I don’t know what to tell you if you think it’s evil billionaires leading everyone astray.

I mean what are you going to do when you get rid of the billionaires. Are you going to slash fossil fuel production? That’s good. What does that do to all the loving logging truck drivers you want to marry? Are you going to do? At some point they’ll have to upgrade their trucks or leave that industry, right?

isn’t pushing up the cost of fuel to disincentize use maybe going to have the same impact?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

xrunner posted:

No.

Not even close.

But let’s be completely honest with each other. The people steering us towards the crisis are the hundreds f millions of people in the global middle class who want to consume as much as possible as cheaply as possible.
Billionaires suck and shouldn’t exist but they exist with the tacit approval of the status quo.

And it’s the people who think we can just keep down that path and make sure the people on top get changed out.

I don’t know what to tell you if you think it’s evil billionaires leading everyone astray.

I mean what are you going to do when you get rid of the billionaires. Are you going to slash fossil fuel production? That’s good. What does that do to all the loving logging truck drivers you want to marry? Are you going to do? At some point they’ll have to upgrade their trucks or leave that industry, right?

isn’t pushing up the cost of fuel to disincentize use maybe going to have the same impact?
American Christmas is possibly the single biggest annual environmental disaster in the world.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FRINGE posted:

Yeah there needs to be some pressure to get old trucks (many of the fedex ones are loving awful) out of service.

As a business person I LOVE vehicles/equipment that are old because your roi is hopefully 5 years for equimeny and vehivces so you keep that poo poo goingn for longer than 5 years and your . But really planet wise this sucks. You pay off your car payment and drive w.o paying it any more. And your car is always more pollutive than whats available 5 years later. Like My truck is hosed in terms of a polluter for sure compared to my electric cars. Like oh your car from 1960 back or w.e doesnt need to be smogged!!feels like i live in a pre 1991 soviet bloc country with a coal fire plant rolling all day to keep the lights on.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 29, 2019

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
You're the one
You're the one
Nice strawman lol
You're the one

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

xrunner posted:

No.

Not even close.

Given both your repeated strawmanning and your bizarre inability to even acknowledge or address it I'm starting to suspect you aren't arguing in good faith.

^^^Nailed it, :five:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

George posted:

You're the one
You're the one
Nice strawman lol
You're the one

What if the goalposts... are made out of straw men?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Given both your repeated strawmanning and your bizarre inability to even acknowledge or address it I'm starting to suspect you aren't arguing in good faith.

^^^Nailed it, :five:

:rolleyes:

I asked you what you’d do. You said “decimate the military and nationalize infrastructure.”

That’s not particularly well thought out, and to the extent it is a plan at all, it’s not particularly feasible.

You’ve also repeatedly said “why are we going after my poor wife the logging truck driver and my 18 small logging truck driver children it’s not their fault it’s billionaires.”

I think this misses the point that billionaires are a symptom and if you imprisoned every person with a net worth of more than say $20 million today it wouldn’t change poo poo wrt climate because it’s the way you and me and your gaggle of logging truck driver buddies live that is the problem.

I guess it’s a strawman to point out that your opposition to taking action now is to wait for vaguely defined plans that are better and will totally be feasible tomorrow.

I’m sorry if I read subtext into this - but to me it reeks of magical thinking.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 29, 2019

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

xrunner posted:

:rolleyes:

I asked you what you’d do. You said “decimate the military and nationalize infrastructure.”

That’s not particularly well thought out, and to the extent it is a plan at all, it’s not particularly feasible.

You’ve also repeatedly said “why are we going after my poor wife the logging truck driver and my 18 small logging truck driver children it’s not their fault it’s billionaires.”

I think this misses the point that billionaires are a symptom and if you imprisoned every person with a net worth of more than say $20 million today it wouldn’t change poo poo wrt climate because it’s the way you and me and your gaggle of logging truck driver buddies live that is the problem.

I guess it’s a strawman to point out that your opposition to taking action now is to wait for vaguely defined plans that are better and will totally be feasible tomorrow.

I’m sorry if I read subtext into this - but to me it reeks of magical thinking.

You straight up mischaracterized multiple points I made and you're still doing it right here.

Yes it's a strawman to point out my opposition to taking action now because I have never made that argument at any point and yet here you are still apparently confident that I had.

Should I draw you a picture to point out how "we shouldn't waste finite time and resources on half measures" isn't synonymous with "do nothing"?

E: hey if you have a more well thought out solution to climate change let's hear it, since you know what is and isn't possible.

SyHopeful fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 29, 2019

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

You straight up mischaracterized multiple points I made and you're still doing it right here.

Yes it's a strawman to point out my opposition to taking action now because I have never made that argument at any point and yet here you are still apparently confident that I had.

Should I draw you a picture to point out how "we shouldn't waste finite time and resources on half measures" isn't synonymous with "do nothing"?

Dude. “Decimate the military and nationalize infrastructure” has been the only thing you’ve suggested. If you have other suggestions that you think are feasible and shovel ready right now in the state and national and world political environment that we exist in, I’m all ears. But as far as I can tell carbon taxes and cap and trade systems pretty much seem to be the only thing that even approaches being possible right now.

I don’t know. You also blame the billionaires which I get because they’re an easy villain but when it comes to climate catastrophe it isn’t the billionaires leading us astray - it’s all of us

I’m not strawmanning you. I’m pointing out the implications of your position. Sorry if that frustrates you and makes you sad but “no I’m not you’re strawmanning me” coupled with “raising fuel costs hurts jobs” doesn’t refute a single thing I’ve said. We need to start taking action now. I don’t care if it’s brokered and compromised and not ideal because we can keep doing more. But sitting around waiting for a perfect solution that never comes isn’t getting anyone anywhere.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

[quote="SyHopeful" post=""496329184"]

E: hey if you have a more well thought out solution to climate change let's hear it, since you know what is and isn't possible.
[/quote]

This is loving hilarious because I’m the one advocating for a concrete action and you are the one saying “nah bro let’s like disband the military and take over all the infrastructure”

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Also everyone here should remember once again that loggers are not being targeted here, in fact they negotiated a bunch of rebates for themselves. And this is not a half measure either, it's broadly seen as a test case for rolling out similar policies across the country and creating a unified cap and trade network. This is a very good and worthwhile thing that will help lots of Americans and create a lot of jobs, while spurring investment in infrastructure. It's good for the economy and should be pursued continuously.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol local dipshit Andy Ngo caught a punch and a milkshake at a Proud Boy protest today. Couldn't have happened to a nicer fella.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
https://twitter.com/PortlandPolice/status/1145106839618502656?s=19

So can anyone tell me what the gently caress this is all about

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

im on the net me boys posted:

There were lots of thrown milkshakes at the Proud Boy protest today. PPD is most likely tweeting stdh.txt because they're right wing shitbags and need to play up how awful Antifa are.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

inkblot posted:

There were lots of thrown milkshakes at the Proud Boy protest today. PPD is most likely tweeting stdh.txt because they're right wing shitbags and need to play up how awful Antifa are.

“We have received information” basically means “we heard a rumor/somebody speculated to us and we’ve decided to repeat it because it supports the narrative we want to create.”

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

im on the net me boys posted:

https://twitter.com/PortlandPolice/status/1145106839618502656?s=19

What a load of poo poo, curing concrete generates heat. How the gently caress are you going to hold the cup?

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

xrunner posted:

“We have received information” basically means “we heard a rumor/somebody speculated to us and we’ve decided to repeat it because it supports the narrative we want to create.”

ding ding

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Solkanar512 posted:

What a load of poo poo, curing concrete generates heat. How the gently caress are you going to hold the cup?

Antifa super soldiers are immune to fire!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Lol like cops have done any decent work with concrete since their dad's foced them to fix something in the yard in high school.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Looks like the bill to eliminate single family housing zoning is going to the governor.

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics...impression=true

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
This is cool news, though if it doesn't touch setbacks/minimum parking/height limits I'm not sure how much it will actually do to allow for more housing. Still certainly better than nothing though.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

xrunner posted:

The people steering us towards the crisis are the hundreds f millions of people in the global middle class who want to consume as much as possible as cheaply as possible.

You should probably read some Marx if you want to claim to understand capitalism.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/30/ted-cruz-seeks-probe-ted-wheeler-portland-antifa-a/ lol, sentient agar-mold Ted Cruz wants to bring federal charges against Portland's mayor. The chuds have been furious with Wheeler ever since he wasn't chomping at the bit to let ICE gun down the occupiers at their building here. I'm not a big fan of the guy either because he's caved to the whinging of the right every time, so it's morbidly hilarious to me that all his capitulation has bought him zero quarter from the fash.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

inkblot posted:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jun/30/ted-cruz-seeks-probe-ted-wheeler-portland-antifa-a/ lol, sentient agar-mold Ted Cruz wants to bring federal charges against Portland's mayor. The chuds have been furious with Wheeler ever since he wasn't chomping at the bit to let ICE gun down the occupiers at their building here. I'm not a big fan of the guy either because he's caved to the whinging of the right every time, so it's morbidly hilarious to me that all his capitulation has bought him zero quarter from the fash.

I'm pretty sure the courts have ruled that the police have no particular duty to protect citizens from a crime in progress, so I'm not sure why Texas Shrimp thinks they do. Like, for once they were not protecting the correct people to not protect. And how is Baby Macer responsible for a 4th party's action?

Since they are both named Ted I had to get creative. Has there ever been a Ted that wasn't an rear end in a top hat?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
God drat fire Katie Herzog already:

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2019/07/02/40642323/antifa-beating-gives-ammunition-to-the-right

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Her take on reality seems to be that the only way we accomplish anything is by doing nothing and that over an exceedingly long timeline, of course, everyone will eventually be treated equally.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
When did the stranger get so lovely? I vaguely recall it being good in the late 00s.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
gently caress what a stupid take.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

When did the stranger get so lovely? I vaguely recall it being good in the late 00s.

To be fair, Katie Herzog is the worst writer on that staff. They have some talented people on there still (Charles Mudede, Lester Black, Natalie Graham, and depending on how you feel about him lately, Dan Savave). I still read it on a somewhat daily basis but every one of her articles is just pure white woman TERFy bullshit.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

After Goldy left

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'd place it being good a lot earlier like around 2000, but it's been a pretty progressive road down. Pretty much every issue will be slightly worse than the last until they inevitably close down. I mean, Lindy West was writing her poo poo movie reviews there like a decade ago.

Dan Savage was a terrible editor and just ran the thing into the ground.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

After Goldy left

Truth.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

1glitch0 posted:

I'd place it being good a lot earlier like around 2000, but it's been a pretty progressive road down. Pretty much every issue will be slightly worse than the last until they inevitably close down. I mean, Lindy West was writing her poo poo movie reviews there like a decade ago.

Dan Savage was a terrible editor and just ran the thing into the ground.

It honestly feels like the sharpest decline was after the $15 minimum wage battle was won. Supposedly, they got a lot of advertiser pushback but that could be bullshit. Then again, a lot of the reading between the lines when KUOW published that Meinart story after Sydney Brownstone left the Stranger is also kind of suspect. I read and contribute to CHS blog on Patreon so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything from the Stranger.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

It honestly feels like the sharpest decline was after the $15 minimum wage battle was won. Supposedly, they got a lot of advertiser pushback but that could be bullshit. Then again, a lot of the reading between the lines when KUOW published that Meinart story after Sydney Brownstone left the Stranger is also kind of suspect. I read and contribute to CHS blog on Patreon so I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything from the Stranger.

Speaking of which. The minimum wage just went up in Portland, right? Anyone see any effects yet? Price spikes etc?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Can't get a decent milkshake

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

Speaking of which. The minimum wage just went up in Portland, right? Anyone see any effects yet? Price spikes etc?

Friend, I have some bad news.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-PWI1d6vOrAo/U7q4Wcdx1gI/AAAAAAAAJ3A/IxWlne_0bYw/s1600/Derweze+Gas+Crater.jpg

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Oscar Wild posted:

Speaking of which. The minimum wage just went up in Portland, right?
Yes, it went up by 50¢ throughout all of Oregon.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Oh good, I would like one voodoo doughnut please. Here is my money.

*throws $100 into magma*

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

porkface posted:

Can't get a decent milkshake

The last one I had hit my gut like concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Oscar Wild posted:

Some Republicans have fled rather than pay it.

:trumpsmug: