Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Tarquinn posted:

Legasthenie oder Kunst? Not sure.

Warum nicht beides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

tuo posted:

Are there lawgoons here? What I'm interested in: if a Gesetz exists that is not mandated on Landesebene, but on Bundesebene...what gives a Landesminister the power to say "we won't enforce that Gesetz"? Is it basically enough to say "we won't check if people halten sich an dieses Gesetz" and be done with it? Is this legal?

I mean, there were companies not enforcing the 3G am Arbeitsplatz, and they got (heavy) fines for that. Same for restaurants if they were caught. How can a Landesminister just say "nah, won't enforce the einrichtungsbezogene Impfmandat" and it's cool and good?

(I fear I know the answer, but it makes me wütend, as it basically hebelt the legislative prozess aus)

As far as I understand, mandating vaccinations for Pflegepersonal is a Landesrecht, not a Bundesrecht. It's just that for some time now, all Länder more or less agreed on a common set of Maßnahmen. But Söder sadly has any right not to implement those Pandemiemaßnahmen that were agreed to in the last Bund-Länder treffen, since it's squarely his power to exercise (or not) as the Ministerpräsident of Bayern.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
https://twitter.com/eltigreturbo300/status/1491812356288126979?s=21

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Antigravitas posted:

Well, kraming out this Klassiker then.

#zivilcourtage

Very much mein Ding, thx

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Welp, my number finally has come up. Positive PCR from sample taken Wednesday, but I think I got it last week when I went to the office. Still completely asymptomatic, so here’s hoping for that milde Verlauf. :11tea:

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Serendipitaet posted:

Welp, my number finally has come up. Positive PCR from sample taken Wednesday, but I think I got it last week when I went to the office. Still completely asymptomatic, so here’s hoping for that milde Verlauf. :11tea:

good luck

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
https://www.br.de/nachrichten/bayern/kaum-mehr-corona-patienten-auf-intensivstationen-in-ostbayern,SwxcXqA

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Happy to hear that Söder wants to change that then!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

not great, not terrible.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Allegedly the Inzidenz is starting to skew away from kids towards olds so maybe we will enter the cool zone after all

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

aphid_licker posted:

Allegedly the Inzidenz is starting to skew away from kids towards olds so maybe we will enter the cool zone after all

Does Germany also have winter holidays this week?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

genericnick posted:

not great, not terrible.

So you're saying that we are enjoying the end of Delta and just seeing Omicron starting raising its ugly head?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

So you're saying that we are enjoying the end of Delta and just seeing Omicron starting raising its ugly head?

:shrug: Not saying anything except we're not really on a between the waves level yet.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

One thing to keep in mind is that if 5% of everyone has covid then so does 5% of everyone in the hospital. The number of people being treated for covid pneumonia is currently very low, though obviously not quite as low as it was in summer.

It's still inconveniencing hospitals because they have to isolate patients with covid, but overall the situation is much more relaxed than in December.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Welp, looks like pretty much all of my friends are over covid and are joining the brunch crew now. The dam held for almost two years, it was a good run, but you know it's over when you get your first "stell dich doch nicht so an" after raising doubts and still not feeling comfortable meeting up with them, considering they all have 2-3 schulpflichtige Kinder.

Ah, well...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

genericnick posted:

Does Germany also have winter holidays this week?
Varies by state.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

pidan posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that if 5% of everyone has covid then so does 5% of everyone in the hospital. The number of people being treated for covid pneumonia is currently very low, though obviously not quite as low as it was in summer.

It's still inconveniencing hospitals because they have to isolate patients with covid, but overall the situation is much more relaxed than in December.

True enough, though just from eyeballing the numbers of patients and deaths that doesn't seem to be an order of magnitude effect.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Hey neat, Amis gonna learn the German Wort für bodega:

https://twitter.com/nyt_first_said/status/1492084560909250563?s=21

NYT article
https://t.co/uhRr7TqaE2

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Zwille posted:

Hey neat, Amis gonna learn the German Wort für bodega:

https://twitter.com/nyt_first_said/status/1492084560909250563?s=21

NYT article
https://t.co/uhRr7TqaE2

quote:

Recalling the seductive but fleeting early days of Uber and Lyft as a time when rides were cheap and workers were paid competitively, (...)
:thunk:

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Not that I’ve ever been a frequent Uber user but I think that statement might have been true in the early full on VC cash burn days?

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Welp, looks like pretty much all of my friends are over covid and are joining the brunch crew now. The dam held for almost two years, it was a good run, but you know it's over when you get your first "stell dich doch nicht so an" after raising doubts and still not feeling comfortable meeting up with them, considering they all have 2-3 schulpflichtige Kinder.

Ah, well...

You haven't been with them indoors for two years?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

You haven't been with them indoors for two years?

No, we have met occasionally, mostly during the summer when things were looking up, but with the usual precautions. Smaller groups, preferably outdoors, everyone fully vaxxed, same day rapid tests. These precautions appear to be out the window and done with now. Full "eh, everyone's going to get it sooner or later, so why bother" mentality.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's tough but hang in there. Right now 3 familIes with kids we know have it, 1 one of those already had delta and now omicron. Plus 2 families had to cope with delta and omicron respectively in the past. And none of them are saying mild is fine because it sucks either way.

Once the adults in your friend group had it, they might still say it's okay for them because they are immune now, but they probably will also better understand why you don't want to get it.

And recently recovered families are probably the safest contact you can have.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Serendipitaet posted:

Not that I’ve ever been a frequent Uber user but I think that statement might have been true in the early full on VC cash burn days?

exactly, that's the cue for the thunk, saying that those services never ever would have been as good as they promised

and that literally everyone could have told you that, hence the sarcastic thunk

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Goa Tse-tung posted:

exactly, that's the cue for the thunk, saying that those services never ever would have been as good as they promised

and that literally everyone could have told you that, hence the sarcastic thunk

Well, they sure can be as good as promised, it's just not financially viable to run them that way. In fact, if you look at Uber, it's not even financially viable if you run them in a way that's both lovely to workers and customers. :v:

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
this reminded me that DAZN is doubling their monthly subscription fee from 15 to 30 loving euros lol. things sure look different when you run out of that sweet venture capital to burn through

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hey meine Nichte hat bald Geburtstag. Weiss irgendein Kinderhaber hier was Achtjaehrige so moegen? Ich kann auch ihre Eltern fragen, aber ich will mal so tun als haette ich Ahnung.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
Nintendo Switch mit Mario Party. Vielleicht ist deine Nichte aber zu alt dafür, meine ist erst 5 aber das will sie dauernd spielen.
Und jetzt heul nicht wegen 300€, manifestiere dich als coolster Onkel/Onkeline der Welt, los!

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hey meine Nichte hat bald Geburtstag. Weiss irgendein Kinderhaber hier was Achtjaehrige so moegen? Ich kann auch ihre Eltern fragen, aber ich will mal so tun als haette ich Ahnung.

Warum mußt du tun, als ob du eine Ahnung hättest? Acht jährige ist nicht gleich acht jährige. Frage einfach!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

RabbitWizard posted:

Nintendo Switch mit Mario Party. Vielleicht ist deine Nichte aber zu alt dafür, meine ist erst 5 aber das will sie dauernd spielen.
Und jetzt heul nicht wegen 300€, manifestiere dich als coolster Onkel/Onkeline der Welt, los!

True, my sister and me are still remembering fondly the day when our Cool Aunt suddenly rocked in with a SNES and a Game Boy for us. I was like 14 at the time, but my sister only 7, so that's close enough in my book.

Edit:

According to the Switch thread, little kids also love Mario Odyssey and in March there's a new Kirby game coming out. Mario and Kirby are always hits for kids.

Or does your Nichte like Pokemon? Arceus Legends is supposed to be good. Pokemon Sword too, especially if you're still 8 years old and don't care for elaborate world-wide nerd trading networks.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Ask... the... parents. They should know best what their kids are into right now!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

RabbitWizard posted:

Mario Party geht von 8 bis 28. Die Entscheidung ab wann man auch eine Flasche Whiskey mitliefern muss bleibt dem Leser überlassen.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I usually coordinate my presents with her parents. It's just I wanted to look around if there's anything that kids these days (TM) like that they don't think of.

I am a little bit shocked at the suggestion that an 8 year old would be too old for Mario Party. We're in our thirties, and Mario Party is still a staple when we have people over.

Would seriously love to get her a switch, but my budget is currently strained by a couple of extra expenses. And I've never seen either of my nieces playing video games. I think their parents frown upon that out of reasons that reflect poorly on them.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Lord Stimperor posted:

I am a little bit shocked at the suggestion that an 8 year old would be too old for Mario Party.
Ugh, all the voices in my head totally got my sarcasm, so I thought you'd get it too.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

RabbitWizard posted:

Ugh, all the voices in my head totally got my sarcasm, so I thought you'd get it too.

Oh haha re-reading that it totally makes sense that you'd been saying that in humour. I must have had my head somewhere else :)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ask... the... parents. They should know best what their kids are into right now!
Unless you want to establish yourself as the cool uncle who will supply the illegal stuff and will pick her up when she's drunk without blabbing to the parents.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

and will pick her up when she's drunk

Phrasing

e: the Switch is good and only getting better, apart from that all I can think of is Fortnite or Minecraft but as you said.

Does she read? A book is always nice. Fibi und ihr Einhorn has a dumb title but it's a really good comic strip with quite a few collections out, should appeal to your average eight-year-old but it's not as cynically saccharine as unicorn stuff usually is.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Feb 13, 2022

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Some Playmobil maybe? Could also get the kid some Legos if she likes that. But you should definitely ask the parents if you're getting something big. Do NOT listen to the goons who tell you to buy her a Switch, if the parents don't agree you're gonna get canceled.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Yeah, don't be that kind of uncle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Just buy Lego it's always the correct answer

I got my nieces Lego