Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Stock/Flatslides/Flatslides+Intake Cam (gen 1). I wish the dyno graph was a bit more expansive on the rev range, but as you can see, there's some pretty decent gains there.

I guess I stand a bit corrected. To my defense, all I have to add, is that I don't care much about bikes with less than 80Hp ;) That aside, I weren't there. The CVs should perform way better than this correctly adjusted.

Phat_Albert posted:

Its not only the horsepower that makes a difference, its where the bike makes power. Even if certain bikes dont make a ton more power with flatslides, they make much more usable power, and the overall curve is affected.

Yes, the shorter ventury will surely be a gain at high RPMs. However if you just force the port open, like most casual riders do, the response from a flatslide will be way slower (actually not, but it will feel like that, because it responds too fast for the gasoline to be transported through the main jet and diffuse). The true geniality about CVs are, that they won't respond too fast and feed you lean. I really don't want to bore people with too much details, but flatslides won't be the obvious choice for most riders.

Phat_Albert posted:

Thanks for calling us idiots though

You're welcome. Anytime ;)

Z3n posted:

It'd sound great though. Isn't that really worth it all? :)

Sorry, I can't hear you. I drive a port lifted GT750 Water Buffalo with a Figarolli 3-1 on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Battery question:

I just got a new battery for my Ninja and I've never had to fill the electrolyte myself. Its a sealed, maintenance-free type, and it came with two electrolyte packs. One seems like it filled it up (it feels about as heavy as my current one), but do I need to add both? The instructions don't say.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sirbeefalot posted:

Battery question:

I just got a new battery for my Ninja and I've never had to fill the electrolyte myself. Its a sealed, maintenance-free type, and it came with two electrolyte packs. One seems like it filled it up (it feels about as heavy as my current one), but do I need to add both? The instructions don't say.

Wait, what? How did you fill it if it's sealed? I thought you aren't supposed to open sealed batteries.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

sirbeefalot posted:

Every time I've bought a motorcycle battery its come with one jug of acid and you fill the individual cells until the level is at a line marked on the sides.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait, what? How did you fill it if it's sealed? I thought you aren't supposed to open sealed batteries.

It came with two 6-chamber packs of acid with foil tops. You place them over the open battery and push down, breaking the foil and draining the acid into each of the chambers in the battery. When its full, you put the included strip of caps over the open holes in the battery, and never open it again.

The manufacturer got back to me, I should be adding both.

I'll snap a picture when I get home.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I got battery that was actually sealed. Pay the shop, attach terminals, off you go.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Ola posted:

I got battery that was actually sealed. Pay the shop, attach terminals, off you go.

All accumulators sold in Europe within the last couple of decades are sealed. I haven't seen a battery sold dry since the mid '80s.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
I'm horrible at carbs and failed again this weekend to get the jetting correct on my DRZ. Whats a reasonable price to pay a shop to get things straight?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Blaster of Justice posted:

All accumulators sold in Europe within the last couple of decades are sealed. I haven't seen a battery sold dry since the mid '80s.

I think these guys are the manufacturers or something. I got it for a song through a friend that works in their accounts receivable department. V:confused:V

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pr0zac posted:

I'm horrible at carbs and failed again this weekend to get the jetting correct on my DRZ. Whats a reasonable price to pay a shop to get things straight?

How did you screw up on jetting it? They should have recommended settings for you and you should be good to go off of those.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pr0zac posted:

Unless you have some ridiculously modified DRZ, the settings recommended on ThumperTalk should work great.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Weird. The only batteries I can find here in Canada are all dry and come with a jug of acid.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

8ender posted:

Weird. The only batteries I can find here in Canada are all dry and come with a jug of acid.

Well, I'm pretty clueless too, but selling unsealed, dry batteries can only be for transportation reasons (weight). I guess the European guarding angles found it unsafe for 18 y.o. people to gently caress around with a rather corrosive acid. Corrosive as in: It's not loving nice to get in your eyes.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Well, I'm pretty clueless too, but selling unsealed, dry batteries can only be for transportation reasons (weight). I guess the European guarding angles found it unsafe for 18 y.o. people to gently caress around with a rather corrosive acid. Corrosive as in: It's not loving nice to get in your eyes.

The graphic on mine is pretty sweet, just an exclamation point and a skeletal hand.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

sirbeefalot posted:

The graphic on mine is pretty sweet, just an exclamation point and a skeletal hand.

I guess that's fine and all, but please don't poke your eyes with that skeleton hand. Your fingers will be rather pointy after a couple of minutes in that sweet solvent.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wouldnt shipping the battery and the acid in a container weigh the same as shipping the battery and the acid together? Wouldnt it weigh more actually because of the container? :confused:

I think its a spillage thing.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

How did you screw up on jetting it? They should have recommended settings for you and you should be good to go off of those.

It might help if I'd ridden another DRZ before and knew what "running well" felt like. I've got the things at the recommended settings and it just doesn't feel correct. I really hate having to pull the carb over and over to fiddle with things and don't have another chance for two weeks. If I can pay someone $100 to just make it work and let me keep riding it the next two weeks it would be worth it. Basically I'm lazy.

Edit: Screw it you guys guilted me into it. I'll just piss my girlfriend one day this week and try and figure out whats wrong. I guess its possible something else is wrong. Should probably clean the carb out if I'm going to mess with it.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 26, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What is going wrong? I've got a few DRZs you can ride but none of them are stock...:haw:

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

Wouldnt shipping the battery and the acid in a container weigh the same as shipping the battery and the acid together? Wouldnt it weigh more actually because of the container? :confused:

I think its a spillage thing.

It's pretty easy to produce acid locally, Einstein ;)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The wink doesnt make you any less of a prick.

So they're separating manufacturing to ship batteries somewhere and have them reboxed with locally produced acid? That seems needlessly complex.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

The wink doesnt make you any less of a prick.

Don't bother. I'm out of here totally.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don't bother. I'm out of here totally.

That was all it took? I would have said it earlier if I had known.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Prickage aside...

The Interstate battery guy told me they ship them dry because powersport batteries end up siting on the shelf a lot longer than car batteries. I guess once filled they are only allowed to sit for so long before they have to pull them and send them back to the manufacturer. Leaving them dry allows them to sit drat near forever.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

pr0zac posted:

It might help if I'd ridden another DRZ before and knew what "running well" felt like. I've got the things at the recommended settings and it just doesn't feel correct. I really hate having to pull the carb over and over to fiddle with things and don't have another chance for two weeks. If I can pay someone $100 to just make it work and let me keep riding it the next two weeks it would be worth it. Basically I'm lazy.

Edit: Screw it you guys guilted me into it. I'll just piss my girlfriend one day this week and try and figure out whats wrong. I guess its possible something else is wrong. Should probably clean the carb out if I'm going to mess with it.

Related: My GS has been having a weird issue with it's idle, it either dies when I come to a stop with no throttle a lot of the time even if it's already warmed up, i've played with the idle screw below the carbs a bit, but it never seems to be just right, it's either idling at 3000-4000rpm or gets really low and eventually stalls. Do I need to clean out my carbs or are they just out of sync maybe? I really don't want to because I mostly lack the organisational skills and patience to do it. I'd be kinda surprised if my carbs were dirty because I go through a tank of gas on it once a week at least.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Try seafoam, this is a situation where it can really help.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Try seafoam, this is a situation where it can really help.

I actually bought a can about 2 weeks ago when I was grabbing an oil filter for the F2, I poured some in the Suzuki's gas tank and started it up, doesn't seem to have helped much, do I need to pour it in a vacuum line or something to make all the white smoke you see in videos? Where exactly is this on the bike? I'm not really too sure and am worried about messing it up :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

I actually bought a can about 2 weeks ago when I was grabbing an oil filter for the F2, I poured some in the Suzuki's gas tank and started it up, doesn't seem to have helped much, do I need to pour it in a vacuum line or something to make all the white smoke you see in videos? Where exactly is this on the bike? I'm not really too sure and am worried about messing it up :(

I'd get a good dose in the tank and then go run the poo poo out of it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

I'd get a good dose in the tank and then go run the poo poo out of it.

Alright i'll get another can tommorow :3, maybe I didn't add a big enough dose before? :v

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

infraboy posted:

Alright i'll get another can tommorow :3, maybe I didn't add a big enough dose before? :v

The heavy white smoke is usually people with carbon deposits in the combustion chamber who pour seafoam directly in through the sparkplug hole or something and let it sit for a good 10 minutes before starting it back up and flogging it a little. You won't get much/any white smoke just running it through with the gas.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

The heavy white smoke is usually people with carbon deposits in the combustion chamber who pour seafoam directly in through the sparkplug hole or something and let it sit for a good 10 minutes before starting it back up and flogging it a little. You won't get much/any white smoke just running it through with the gas.

According to the can you should put 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 into a vacuum line and kill the motor and wait 10 minutes to restart.

I would never put any into a spark plug hole and I would avoid using it in the intake or oil on a bike as it may not be good for the clutch or valves. It has worked ok when mixed in gas on my bikes for moderate cleaning and fuel stabilizing.

It does work wonders in cars but even then you should change the oil immediately and it can damage plugs, o2 sensors ect.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Pubic Lair posted:

According to the can you should put 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 into a vacuum line and kill the motor and wait 10 minutes to restart.

I would never put any into a spark plug hole and I would avoid using it in the intake or oil on a bike as it may not be good for the clutch or valves. It has worked ok when mixed in gas on my bikes for moderate cleaning and fuel stabilizing.

It does work wonders in cars but even then you should change the oil immediately and it can damage plugs, o2 sensors ect.

Well I think those instructions are according to using the seafoam for a car, and a car's gas tank is a lot larger than a motorcycle, my bike's gas tank is only about 4-5 gallons. they recommend an ounce per gallon of fuel or something, I guess i'll actually measure the amount this time instead of guessing it.

I checked out my plugs too, they're in spec and not any off color.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

infraboy posted:

Well I think those instructions are according to using the seafoam for a car, and a car's gas tank is a lot larger than a motorcycle, my bike's gas tank is only about 4-5 gallons. they recommend an ounce per gallon of fuel or something, I guess i'll actually measure the amount this time instead of guessing it.

I checked out my plugs too, they're in spec and not any off color.

They recommend 1oz per gallon on the website here
http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

They also say safe for all engines but I would still be wary of anything but mixing in into the gas on a bike. I know I have gone way over that 1oz/1gal ratio in my tank with no problems. The plug and o2 issues I mentioned are if you are stalling it by putting it into a vacuum port.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Bikebandit says these are "markers", and that they are not DOT approved. They look like turn signals to me, and they're cheap as poo poo compared to the "turn signals" available for my bike. What's the difference?

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-universal-mini-stalk-marker-light-kit?m=6052&t=1

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Bikebandit says these are "markers", and that they are not DOT approved. They look like turn signals to me, and they're cheap as poo poo compared to the "turn signals" available for my bike. What's the difference?

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-universal-mini-stalk-marker-light-kit?m=6052&t=1

They are turn signals, just less visible cause they don't stick out as far and they are smaller. I think the smoke turn signals will be a bit too dark, but the others should be fine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Basically, if you're required to have turn signals in your state, they're supposed to be DOT approved. Technically, if a cop or inspection official cares enough to check, you can get ticketed or not have your inspection renewed if you use those. Chances are this won't happen.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Also its good to have turn signals that are visible enough that someone wont drive into you.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Pubic Lair posted:

I just mentioned that because I did that with my car. I was checking/changing the plugs anyway, so I pulled them, poured a small amount into each cylinder and let it sit, replaced the old plugs and ran it after 10-15 minutes for the glorious white smokescreen. Its essentially the same as running it through a vacuum line until the engine stalls. You mentioned not using it in the intake to protect the valves, where do you think its coming in when its in the fuel? I agree on maybe not putting it in the oil, but even that shouldn't be a problem if you are careful about it. You're supposed to run it for like 20 miles in the oil and then change it (in a car).

The same process should work for a bike. Be warned, this kind of direct application into the cylinders does tend to foul up the plugs so you should have replacements ready if you do this.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 27, 2010

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Yeah... I guess if I want to get shorter turn signals I should just man up and get the good stuff. As well. :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Not a motorcycle question per se, but if someone was riding around out west and found themselves near bonneville, how would one go about getting to ride it balls out. Any paperwork or wavers? Any other salt flats that one could do this at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchb0x
Nov 13, 2005
Jesus hates you
I have a 81 suzuki gs450. Place by my house sell 100+ octane leaded gas. Is that a bad idea?