Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I never even knew Suikoden 5 had long load times because I played that poo poo on HDLoader. :smug:

That's seriously a bummer though if you play that on an actual PS2 without HDLoader. If you play on PCSX2, I think one of the speed hacks enables faster reading of the image file.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I played the game on HDLoader as well, but I suffered from random freeze-ups. They weren't frequent enough to make the game unplayable, but it sucked that I had to choose between crashes and long rear end load times for one of the most common screens of the game. I went with the crashing in the end.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
On a whim I bought Dungeon Lords MMXII from Amazon. What should I expect? Am I gonna regret this?

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm gonna be on HDLoader for Suikodens 4 and 5. I'm worried about the crashes though, I was hoping to stream it.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I know that Suikoden IV works perfectly well on HDLoader.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CVagts posted:

I'm gonna be on HDLoader for Suikodens 4 and 5. I'm worried about the crashes though, I was hoping to stream it.

I honestly don't remember any crashes when I ran HDLoader for S5. It may have been due to having a different version, or different mode settings, or maybe my memory is slipping (this was 7 years ago). I think I'd remember if it was a particularly big problem, though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Even if he did have that problem, it definitely doesn't crash often enough to make it unplayable. Just keep up on your saving.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

On a whim I bought Dungeon Lords MMXII from Amazon. What should I expect? Am I gonna regret this?

I had never heard of this, so I checked out youtube. That is... not very pretty.

Reminds me of Darkstone from 1999.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Devor posted:

I had never heard of this, so I checked out youtube. That is... not very pretty.

Reminds me of Darkstone from 1999.

Darkstone is actually really great. I've played through Dungeon Lords ("Collector's Edition") and ehhhhhhhhhhhh not great. MMXII is supposed to be a super SUPER collector's edition but I haven't had the urge to get past the first area again. So far it seems exactly the same.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I remember really wanting to like Dungeon Lords back in the day because of Braben's involvement but it being horribly buggy, broken, and just incomplete. I vaguely remember getting into the main city and it being this huge and completely empty place like I'd wandered onto a giant movie set after everyone had gone home and shortly afterward my save completely died.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

How is FF tactics A2? Got the SRPG bug again but is A2 worth playing? The first GBA game was steaming trash.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it has a very good soundtrack and is on the whole appalling

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

How is FF tactics A2? Got the SRPG bug again but is A2 worth playing? The first GBA game was steaming trash.

If you didn't like the first one the second one for all its improvements probably won't get your motor running. The main selling point is that it completely reworks how the law system works from "I loving hate this" to a small reward for being able to uphold the law with no other penalty for breaking it. The game has some serious pacing issues in that it gives you the last 2 races about 75% of the way through the main game which is looooong after you've ceased to give the remotest of a gently caress about them and the method of adding new items to the shops hurts your ability to plan for classes and basically demands that you grind sidequests.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
it's ok. is broken over its knee pretty quickly and easily if that's your thing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fronz posted:

it's ok. is broken over its knee pretty quickly and easily if that's your thing

There is nothing more amusing than the fact that about 4 or 5 fights into the game you're capable of spamming an enemy wide 0% chance of missing attack that deals between 33-66% of enemies health. This ignores, of course, the other numerous broken as hell setups that often require the incredibly tricky "learn all of your classes skills" to pull off.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Oh, that doesn't sound good at all :( Well best skip that game then.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

So, how is Bravely Default, anyway? The name doesn't give me much confidence, and I wanted to complete my Dragon Quest remake collection.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So, how is Bravely Default, anyway? The name doesn't give me much confidence, and I wanted to complete my Dragon Quest remake collection.

While I have not personally played it, I have not heard very positive things about it :(

Sorta Spoilers I guess?

Game pulls a groundhog day style plot, and apparently it really starts to drag hard as it keeps looping over and over and over again

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Holy poo poo, is this for real? Mind you, I'm ecstatic that we're actually getting Bravely Default, and DQ7 had just enough dragging points (two - fight with no magic before wolfboy and evil cloud in the tower) that I would hesitate briefly before spending all my money on it... but god, when it came down to it, I'd buy both of them release day. Haven't DQ games always been solid-but-not-exceptional sellers in America?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I don't want to bring up something that's probably been done to death but after this E3, is there any more frustrating developer than SquareEnix? Not sure who else is sitting on so many good IPs but refuses to do anything. Some reasons are sound (I'm not sure I want a new Chrono game if they really can't get the band back together for it) but a lot of them aren't.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

sigmachiev posted:

I don't want to bring up something that's probably been done to death but after this E3, is there any more frustrating developer than SquareEnix? Not sure who else is sitting on so many good IPs but refuses to do anything. Some reasons are sound (I'm not sure I want a new Chrono game if they really can't get the band back together for it) but a lot of them aren't.
Like what?

JRPG landscape at this point is pretty much full blown sequelitis so they're going to hit all the usual bases (FF and KH). Nobody wants to take a chance with anything new at this point because anything new pretty much goes straight to the dumpster (typically for good reason).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't think of many RPG IPs S-E has that they haven't milked recently besides Chrono.

Lord knows I wish they hadn't milked some of them. The world would be better if The Third Birthday didn't exist.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I can't think of many RPG IPs S-E has that they haven't milked recently besides Chrono.

Lord knows I wish they hadn't milked some of them. The world would be better if The Third Birthday didn't exist.

Legend of Mana, Actraiser, Final Fantasy 7, Front Mission, Robot Alchemic Drive.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

Legend of Mana, Actraiser, Final Fantasy 7, Front Mission, Robot Alchemic Drive.

Actraiser has exactly one good game. Final Fantasy 7 got milked to hell and back. Front Mission had a shooter pretty recently. RAD actually got a couple sequels but they were Japan-only and I think had a different publisher.

That's kind of the point. They are milking these IP. They're just milking them to give us Front Mission Evolved.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

They're just milking them to give us Front Mission Evolved.

To be fair, I am willing to put a lot more of the blame for FME on Double "Silent Hill: Homecoming" Helix Games than S-E.

And this is coming from someone who is in the middle of playing FME in another window right now. God drat this game blows.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Rule of thumb: if Syrg is playing it you don't want to

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

WendigoJohnson posted:

Einhander, Tobal, Parasite Eve, a new FFT for consol...

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I'd love to see a new Tobal. I don't know what happened to Dream Factory of whatever but I'm sure Namco would make it for them.

The time for the FFVII remake we want has passed, though. The only thing that could really satisfy people is a full blown remake on a console and that would easily cost as much as FFXV considering just how much content FFVII was able to have visually thanks to the prerendered backgrounds.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WendigoJohnson posted:

On a side note, the illustrator for the Mana series passed away last week :(

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Is there a Witcher 3 thread? My search-fu is failing me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Einhander, Tobal, Parasite Eve, a new FFT for consol...

We got a new Parasite Eve. Everyone wishes we hadn't.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

Aratoeldar posted:

Is there a Witcher 3 thread? My search-fu is failing me.

The Witcher 2 thread is slow enough to accommodate Witcher 3 conversation for the moment. The next big Witcher release is the PC Witcher 2 combat rebalance mod from one the Witcher 3 devs (who is also the guy who did the Witcher 1 combat rebalance). W3 screenshots, videos, and news get posted in there regularly alongside Witcher 1 and 2 discussion.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

We got a new Parasite Eve. Everyone wishes we hadn't.

The Witcher 3: Your clothes melt the more sexcards you get

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The White Dragon posted:

The Witcher 3: Your clothes melt the more sexcards you get

10/10 Best Witcher yet

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

WendigoJohnson posted:

There were like 5 Mana games released in the mid-late 2000s and every single one was a disappointment.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Speaking of disappointments, I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike a game that I got for free, but the big plot twist in Fable III has seriously jeopardized that thought. I thought Fable II was okay at best, and so far III is quite a step down.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dross posted:

There were like 5 Mana games released in the mid-late 2000s and every single one was a disappointment.

Yeah that's the thing with complaining about SE sitting on these IPs, people tend to just ignore the fact that many of them have had additional games released, but the games weren't any good. They don't have enough mass appeal to justify a AAA budget, but then when they're outsourced to some random studio the results are trash. The Mana and Front Mission series have a shitload of entries, but people just tend to pretend the bad ones don't exist. I'm not sure why you would want an(other) Actraiser followup; I loved the original but I'm not really sure why and there are plenty of god games out there to scratch that itch.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

there's only one bad front mission game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
says the guy who likes earthbound, third worst game of all time.

e: The ActRaiser sequel was really weird because they somehow completely misunderstood which half of that game people actually liked.

fronz fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CVagts posted:

Speaking of disappointments, I didn't think it was possible for me to dislike a game that I got for free, but the big plot twist in Fable III has seriously jeopardized that thought. I thought Fable II was okay at best, and so far III is quite a step down.

Fable III is bad enough that I skipped owning it for nothing because the game isn't worth that level of exertion. Fable II is the only good one in the trilogy and its a drat shame they never bothered to work on one without Peter Molyneaux because it might actually be fun.