Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

If the actual owners don't do a proper remaster, then at some point we're sure to see an unofficial fan-made upscale of the whole show. It's a lot like how Lucas kept refusing to release a decent HD version of Star Wars, so fans made the Despecialized Edition and released it on the high seas.

True, seven seasons of a show is a lot more video than three movies, but it should also take a lot less TLC. Basically just let the algorithm go to town on it all, and then do reactive cleaning-up as needed.

The grungy pirate 4K scans of the original film reels are now my preferred version. The grain, the crushed contrast and all the dirt and scratches, it's all perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That comic refers to the Scroll of Truth not the Scroll of Perennial Buzzkill

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hasn't CBS been pretty lovely in recent years with fan projects? I have to believe that if someone released a full-length AI-upscaled episode they'd DMCA the poo poo out of it. And I don't think that would be the straw breaking the Can-We-Profit-From-This camel's back :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SCheeseman posted:

The grungy pirate 4K scans of the original film reels are now my preferred version. The grain, the crushed contrast and all the dirt and scratches, it's all perfect.

The original trilogy comes out in 4k UHD physical blu-ray on Tuesday. So that's going to be a great base for the despecialized editions.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hasn't CBS been pretty lovely in recent years with fan projects? I have to believe that if someone released a full-length AI-upscaled episode they'd DMCA the poo poo out of it. And I don't think that would be the straw breaking the Can-We-Profit-From-This camel's back :(

Yeah, thanks to that Axanar rear end in a top hat, they've really clamped down on fan films and such.

But something like a complete upscale project wouldn't be on youtube, it'd be on bittorrent. So all they could do is join the huge chorus of lawyers helplessly shaking their fists, with no one to sue but the occasional end user who hasn't gotten a VPN yet.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah, most likely. I doubt they'd have the foresight to go "well maybe if we do a Voyager one we can profit" (:laffo:)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, there's like constant ads everywhere about being able to watch all of star trek on CBS all-access. You'd think they would want to add "in HD" on to that since DS9 and Voyager are the only two things that aren't.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

Then you get this weird effect where every time they punch something up on a screen or fire a phaser the lighting and balance shifts and the quality drops for the duration of the effect and snaps back at the end. B5 had this issue sometimes because they lost the effect masters.
Hell, you can see something similar on TOS, and not just with VFX. Any shot leading into a fadeout is of noticeably lower quality than the rest of the same scene. (The fades were done on an optical printer that made copies of the original footage.) Usually the shots are quick enough for it to pass, but some episodes end acts on longer shots that make the drop in quality painfully obvious. I think 'Mirror, Mirror' has a scene in the transporter room without any cuts for quite a long time before the fadeout, and if anything the HD restoration makes it even more glaring because you're used to everything being clear and sharp.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Payndz posted:

Hell, you can see something similar on TOS, and not just with VFX. Any shot leading into a fadeout is of noticeably lower quality than the rest of the same scene. (The fades were done on an optical printer that made copies of the original footage.) Usually the shots are quick enough for it to pass, but some episodes end acts on longer shots that make the drop in quality painfully obvious. I think 'Mirror, Mirror' has a scene in the transporter room without any cuts for quite a long time before the fadeout, and if anything the HD restoration makes it even more glaring because you're used to everything being clear and sharp.

watching TOS on my 4k tv occasionally causes some weird whiplash, and some shots in particular look horrific. There's a shot in Assignment: Earth! where its literally just a reaction shot of the secretary but it looks like my glasses stopped working and my eyes grew a shitload of cataracts.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

watching TOS on my 4k tv occasionally causes some weird whiplash, and some shots in particular look horrific. There's a shot in Assignment: Earth! where its literally just a reaction shot of the secretary but it looks like my glasses stopped working and my eyes grew a shitload of cataracts.

There's most likely a totally different reason for that. TOS and pretty much all '60s TV was notorious for the whole "Vaseline on the lens" thing. Can't allow a single wrinkle, ladies!

Unless that's :thejoke:

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 27, 2020

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Watching DS9 Season 1, episode "The Passenger" and TIL that on Deep Space Nine, they consider waste reclamation to be a non-essential system. Uh, what? Non-essential? That's a lot of poop.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Just eject it into the wormhole. Not like there's any massively powerful empires to worry about over there.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

$12 million for the full restoration. So simply scanning the film in HD for archival shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive. The TNG stuff was also done almost a decade ago so some aspects of this workflow have become cheaper and more common over time.

There are also new tools. ML video analysis didn't even exist back then but could likely be used to greatly speed up the process of finding the correct takes from scanned footage to speed up the editing of the episodes. "Show me every clip that has Odo, Kira, and Sisko in these general positions in the frame" is a thing we can do now. I don't know if anyone has built ML driven automatic editing tools yet, but it seems like a no-brainer now. Bulk scan footage in, do facial and object recognition to build a database of clips, then use audio analysis to assemble clips to roughly match the broadcast take. Then you bring in human editors to validate and fine tune.

Yes, SFX and such would require time and money to do properly, but the editing workflow shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as it was when they did TNG.

Problem isn't whether or not tools can technically exist, it's setting up and staffing the pipeline that would likely be the bulk of the costs.

There are 176 episodes of DS9. Even with the TNG cost of $12 million that's only $67 thousand per episode. Still sounds like a lot, but that has to cover tools, software, hardware, staffing costs. I'd be surprised if even with those tools they could get it down much lower.

The Bloop posted:

There are super fans that would work on this for a loving EP credit or less. People who could really help.

Crowdsource some of the actual work from techy trekkies

A major studio absolutely won't do this, and their union agreements probably explicitly forbid having them do it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

This Netflix tiger show is the greatest television program I’ve ever watched.

E: whoops, wrong thread. I’m not wrong though.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The Kingfish posted:

This Netflix tiger show is the greatest television program I’ve ever watched.

Probably wrong thread but yeah it’s loving wild.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

$12 million for the full restoration. So simply scanning the film in HD for archival shouldn't be anywhere near as expensive. The TNG stuff was also done almost a decade ago so some aspects of this workflow have become cheaper and more common over time.

There are also new tools. ML video analysis didn't even exist back then but could likely be used to greatly speed up the process of finding the correct takes from scanned footage to speed up the editing of the episodes. "Show me every clip that has Odo, Kira, and Sisko in these general positions in the frame" is a thing we can do now. I don't know if anyone has built ML driven automatic editing tools yet, but it seems like a no-brainer now. Bulk scan footage in, do facial and object recognition to build a database of clips, then use audio analysis to assemble clips to roughly match the broadcast take. Then you bring in human editors to validate and fine tune.

Yes, SFX and such would require time and money to do properly, but the editing workflow shouldn't be anywhere near as difficult as it was when they did TNG.

Really they should redo season 2 of TNG while they're at it.

SCheeseman posted:

:same:

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still can’t believe how bad some of the TNG HD S2 episodes look.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SCheeseman posted:

Umph, yeah, it's so good

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I still can’t believe how bad some of the TNG HD S2 episodes look.

Weren't the Okudas in charge of the remaster that season? Weird how comparatively low-rent it turned out.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SCheeseman posted:

Cross-Section posted:

Umph, yeah, it's so good

Weren't the Okudas in charge of the remaster that season? Weird how comparatively low-rent it turned out.

I have to get these holy poo poo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Season 2 was done by HTV Illuminate rather than CBS Digital. The idea is they would trade off seasons to streamline production more.

A lot of the issues with Season 2 were poor communication and improper scoping of work. HTV Illuminate was operating under pretty much the same rules as TOS remastered which was "replicate the look of the old episode using modern production techniques" but CBS digital was going one step further and actually going back to the original design of the effects and producing them as if they were doing it from scratch with a modern level of detail.

So, that's why you had poo poo like blurry low detail planetscapes for season 2. HTV Illuminate was just recreating what the original looked like and composited it in whereas CBS digital would build a new planetscape from scratch with a 2012 level of detail.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 27, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

I don’t think they were in charge but they, along with Doug Drexler and a few other folks, were part of the team. The big issue though is that originally CBS tried to split the work between their own studio and an independent studio in order to push the seasons out faster but the independent studio loving sucked and as a result S2 was the only one they did.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Hey I don't know if anyone's heard, but there are some pretty great episodes of TNG out there!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t think they were in charge but they, along with Doug Drexler and a few other folks, were part of the team. The big issue though is that originally CBS tried to split the work between their own studio and an independent studio in order to push the seasons out faster but the independent studio loving sucked and as a result S2 was the only one they did.

They also did season 4 actually. It was after they mucked it up for a second time did they not use them again.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nice to see Tony Todd still working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57NPnGvhzvE&t=1285s

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was watching some DS9s earlier and they were ones that featured Old Man Sisko. Then I decided to listen to the old NPR Star Wars radio drama while I did the dishes, which turns out features Old Man Sisko as Darth Vader.

It was not a smooth transition for my brain.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

If they can't justify funding a remaster for the most popular Star Trek, Voyager, they aren't going to do it for the red-headed stepchild of the franchise, DS9.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will say after recently marathoning Voyager, the final two seasons actually look pretty drat sharp even at SD. I was impressed. Though that’s probably due to more modern lighting and cinematography taking over, I wonder if they switched over to a digital editing workflow around that time.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here's a legit question: Did the existence of WB hurt Deep Space 9?

Here in New York, Next Generation aired on WPIX 11 and because they were an independent channel that ran syndicated series and movies (Had a really good movie library), there was a prestige to Next Generation. It felt like a real show. Farpoint had a whole special premiere and I remember they had a whole marathon that ran before All Good Things.

But I remember Deep Space 9 airing at like 6 PM on Sundays which was mostly after the channel was owned by WB and had actual original programming. The fact that it was implicitly advertising watching a primetime UPN show couldn't have helped.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I only ever saw DS9 air super late at night and it’s part of the reason why my folks, despite being gigantic Trek and TNG nerds, never bothered to keep up with it. I didn’t even finish watching the show until the DVDs came out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Here's a legit question: Did the existence of WB hurt Deep Space 9?

Here in New York, Next Generation aired on WPIX 11 and because they were an independent channel that ran syndicated series and movies (Had a really good movie library), there was a prestige to Next Generation. It felt like a real show. Farpoint had a whole special premiere and I remember they had a whole marathon that ran before All Good Things.

But I remember Deep Space 9 airing at like 6 PM on Sundays which was mostly after the channel was owned by WB and had actual original programming. The fact that it was implicitly advertising watching a primetime UPN show couldn't have helped.

No. DS9 was syndicated, just as TNG was. It wasn't a viewership powerhouse, though, so different stations ran it at different times.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Timby posted:

No. DS9 was syndicated, just as TNG was. It wasn't a viewership powerhouse, though, so different stations ran it at different times.
I know, I think you're missing my point. For me, in New York, WPIX was an independent station. So even though Next Gen was syndicated it was being treated as primetime television for this independent channel because they didn't have actual network produced original programming. But by 95, WB took over, and offered actual prime time programming.

What I'm basically suggesting is: Was part of the reason that Next Gen so successful because independent stations could buy the syndication rights and spin it as a prime time TV? And did Deep Space 9 suffer by having WB and UPN taking over independent stations?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's just one market though. TNG was never treated as primetime programming in my market. It aired at like 6pm or 7pm on Saturdays. DS9 was pretty much about the same.

Being prime time didn't help Voyager. Aside from the first season, Voyager pulled in a smaller crowd than DS9 consistently.

And no matter what the series, they all have ratings that networks would murder for today.

For half of its run, DS9 was seen by more eyeballs than any season of the Big Bang Theory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
God, I remember the late VOY and ENT days when the Nielsen ratings would come in, and getting a 4.x or 3.x was seen as grounds for potential cancellation.

Those are astounding live ratings these days. Apples and oranges between viewing habits though, in the age of streaming.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Even just ten years ago, NBC comedies were living or dying on that 1.8-1.9 bubble. The Good Place and Superstore recently survived for four+ seasons averaging less than a 1.2.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Cat Hatter posted:

There was a guy a while back who was fiddling around with upscaling DS9 just to see how well the software worked even when you don't have the settings dialed in right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49oj2JUtn0A

Some stuff, windows especially, look really blurry but most of it looks pretty good.

Both the Voyager and DS9 ones use software from Topaz labs, but the DS9 one used Topaz AI Gigapixel and the Voyager one uses Topaz Video Enhance AI. It looks better in my opinion, the screenshots in that TrekCore thread are just amazing knowing how low quality even the DVDs are.
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1242270468675112960

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suggested it before, but these are neural upscale systems, and it should theoretically be possible to use the TNG DVDs vs TNG-HD itself as a training set on top of the existing base to train the AI how Trek should look and help it deal with things like displays and effects and space stuff better, and give you a better upscale on DS9 and Voyager.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s probably only a matter of time before some fan starts doing full episodes with it, it’s just a question of how far they’ll get before they’re shut down by CBS.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looky here
https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-29-star-trek-voyager-4k-unofficial-ai-remaster.html

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s probably only a matter of time before some fan starts doing full episodes with it, it’s just a question of how far they’ll get before they’re shut down by CBS.

There's no stopping the pirate bay :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

MikeJF posted:

I suggested it before, but these are neural upscale systems, and it should theoretically be possible to use the TNG DVDs vs TNG-HD itself as a training set on top of the existing base to train the AI how Trek should look and help it deal with things like displays and effects and space stuff better, and give you a better upscale on DS9 and Voyager.

I was thinking about this as well, it makes me wonder if there are any open source systems that can do the same thing without the $200/$300 cost.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That sort of thing would get passed around in the piracy areas like the DVDs and the TV rips have for 20+ years. All someone would have to do to avoid getting shut down by CBS is to keep quiet about it.