Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

CommieGIR posted:

Diesel-Electric! C'mon!

You could import a Volvo V60 with the D6 Twin Engine Geartronic but it's £50K+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Recall notice will go out soon, they are going to do a retrofit kit.

Idiots.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Recall notice will go out soon, they are going to do a retrofit kit.

Idiots.

Where are you getting this?

Where exactly are they planning on putting the piss tank in my Golf?

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I hope they get sued into a buyback. If I had one of these cars I would want to be done with it ASAP, gently caress any more work being done by VW. We already can't trust those cocksuckers, why trust them to make it right with a recall repair.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Where are you getting this?

Where exactly are they planning on putting the piss tank in my Golf?

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/09/volkswagen-says-it-has-a-plan-to-fix-vehicles-embroiled-in-emissions-scandal/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:shrug: They don't say what the fix is. This doesn't tell us anything more.

Wamsutta posted:

I hope they get sued into a buyback. If I had one of these cars I would want to be done with it ASAP, gently caress any more work being done by VW. We already can't trust those cocksuckers, why trust them to make it right with a recall repair.

Ford had the largest recall in history for a defect that killed 98 people. The fix was adding a warning sticker. I sincerely doubt a buyback will happen.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Human life is cheap though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Guardian story makes it sound like it's a retrofit, not a recall buyback.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 29, 2015

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I wanted them to buy it back so I could justify a v8 now that I have a shorter commute.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Ford had the largest recall in history for a defect that killed 98 people. The fix was adding a warning sticker. I sincerely doubt a buyback will happen.

what?

Late Monday, Volkswagen Group’s new CEO, Matthias Müller, told a group of about 1,000 managers at Volkswagen headquarters that the company had a plan to refit vehicles involved in the company’s recent emissions scandal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

what?

Late Monday, Volkswagen Group’s new CEO, Matthias Müller, told a group of about 1,000 managers at Volkswagen headquarters that the company had a plan to refit vehicles involved in the company’s recent emissions scandal.

And then in the middle of the paragraph, it says they did not provide details on the retrofit.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

CommieGIR posted:

And then in the middle of the paragraph, it says they did not provide details on the retrofit.

They're gonna retrofit a gas engine into it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Kramdar posted:

That would be the ultimate troll.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

That would be the ultimate troll.

Hey, if they offer the TSI, I'd tell my dad to go for it.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Kramdar posted:

"We have also retrofitted the car's interiors with a rattling sound by loosening bolts at random to give our customers that true diesel feeling back."

- VW Engineers

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I Am Not Spor posted:

"We have also retrofitted the car's interiors with a rattling sound by loosening bolts at random to give our customers that true diesel feeling back."

- VW Engineers

You joke, but you actually can't tell its a diesel unless you get close.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Hey, if they offer the TSI, I'd tell my dad to go for it.

At this point, I'd be happy if they could just detach the interior and outer shell of my wife's TDI and retrofit it into the 2.5 model.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Kramdar posted:

At this point, I'd be happy if they could just detach the interior and outer shell of my wife's TDI and retrofit it into the 2.5 model.

Yeah, I'll take the 2016's body and nothing else thank you VW

e: Some guy mean mugged the hell out of me at a stop light today. Body shaming. I now know what it's like.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Although in MD they don't actually emissions test these..... So I might just Malone tune it....

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There's no way they can do a retrofit without offering a buyback. They'd have to put the piss tank in the cargo area, and that's a deal breaker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
TTAC is speculating they would remove the existing fuel tank, and replace it with a smaller one, which would give room for a urea tank.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

fknlo posted:

There's no way they can do a retrofit without offering a buyback. They'd have to put the piss tank in the cargo area, and that's a deal breaker.

They should have the piss cap retrofitted into the seats. But then again, my wife's seats are heated.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

CommieGIR posted:

Is that for the pinto that they saved 3 cents per car on by not using a washer for the bumper bolt that punctured the tanks?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

veedubfreak posted:

Is that for the pinto that they saved 3 cents per car on by not using a washer for the bumper bolt that punctured the tanks?

I assumed it was for the Explorer telling the idiot owners to check the condition and pressure of their tires or it would roll over and kill them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

I assumed it was for the Explorer telling the idiot owners to check the condition and pressure of their tires or it would roll over and kill them.

It was for the parking brake slipping

http://www.autosafety.org/ford-transmissions-failure-hold-park

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Kramdar posted:

They should have the piss cap retrofitted into the seats. But then again, my wife's seats are heated.

holy poo poo :vince:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Haha, I didn't know about that one... awesome.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Portland has to do something to address this!

This broke a part of me.

via
Dec 14, 2013
It's super nice of Portland to take so many shitheads off the country's hands for us. Perhaps a tax-credit for the city is in order!

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
NPR just reported the retrofit is not for US vehicles :shrug:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The early 80s were not a bright time in the world of consumer protection. That's also when the the CPSC had to give up on investigating Stab-lok breakers because Reagan cut the hell out of their budget. I wonder how many people that has killed over the years.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Withnail posted:

NPR just reported the retrofit is not for US vehicles :shrug:

Interesting. So they can meet European standards but not U.S.?

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Interesting. So they can meet European standards but not U.S.?

They might have to take into consideration how litigious we are. They're already getting sued for lying and sued by used car dealerships, they probably don't want to get sued again for a ridiculous sum for a lackluster effort

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

TTAC is speculating they would remove the existing fuel tank, and replace it with a smaller one, which would give room for a urea tank.

Wasn't one of their primary selling points being able to drive 500 miles on a tank of gas? A smaller tank and compromised fuel economy would utterly wreck that, especially with regard to comparing diesel vs. hybrid.

I Am Not Spor posted:

They might have to take into consideration how litigious we are. They're already getting sued for lying and sued by used car dealerships, they probably don't want to get sued again for a ridiculous sum for a lackluster effort

Or it may have something to do with Germany threatening to ban the affected cars from their roads unless a solution was devised within the next few days.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Cockmaster posted:

Wasn't one of their primary selling points being able to drive 500 miles on a tank of gas? A smaller tank and compromised fuel economy would utterly wreck that, especially with regard to comparing diesel vs. hybrid.

Or it may have something to do with Germany threatening to ban the affected cars from their roads unless a solution was devised within the next few days.

Also the European nitrogen thing is less stringent than the USA one and also only 500k vehicles vs. the millions in Europe

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 30, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I believe European standards allow three times as much NOx as US. The Cruze solved the piss water tank by substituting the spare tire with a can of fix-a-flat, its not like you wanted to reuse your tire anyway.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

KakerMix posted:

Also the European nitrogen thing is less stringent than the USA one and also only 500k vehicles vs. the millions in Europe
Diesel has different limits than Gasoline here.
In EURO 5, diesel is allowed to produce 3x as much NOx as gasoline, per distance. Gasoline may produce twice as much CO2.
In EURO 6 (the current one, required for new cars since Sept 2015), diesel is allowed to produce only 1/3rd more NOx than gasoline, btw. Gasoline is still allowed to produce twice as much CO2.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 30, 2015

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Australian Goon here.

I'm currently shopping around for a small car, and the Golf is on my shortlist. There's no VW dealer in my town, so I've had a test drive booked in another city for a new months now (long before the scandal broke). I'm finally able to travel and do the test drive this Friday.

I'm not not sure what models you guys get in the States, but it's a 92 TSI. That means it uses petrol (not "gas" :australia:) and is not subject to any of the malarkey going on. In this light, I feel that a TSI is still a good choice. However, there's been a lot of fear-mongering in our media lately , i.e. VW are dirty cheaters, don't buy a VW because you can't trust them, VW will go under soon so how will you get aftersale service???? (this one seems especially absurd) etc etc.

I'm ashamed to admit that a small part of me can't help but be swayed by that overblown rhetoric. Buying a new car is a lot of money and my reptilian brain is skittish.

Am I crazy for considering a new TSI? Please reassure or enlighten me. :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crescendo posted:

Australian Goon here.

I'm currently shopping around for a small car, and the Golf is on my shortlist. There's no VW dealer in my town, so I've had a test drive booked in another city for a new months now (long before the scandal broke). I'm finally able to travel and do the test drive this Friday.

I'm not not sure what models you guys get in the States, but it's a 92 TSI. That means it uses petrol (not "gas" :australia:) and is not subject to any of the malarkey going on. In this light, I feel that a TSI is still a good choice. However, there's been a lot of fear-mongering in our media lately , i.e. VW are dirty cheaters, don't buy a VW because you can't trust them, VW will go under soon so how will you get aftersale service???? (this one seems especially absurd) etc etc.

I'm ashamed to admit that a small part of me can't help but be swayed by that overblown rhetoric. Buying a new car is a lot of money and my reptilian brain is skittish.

Nope, but try to use the fear-mongering to negotiate a better price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Crescendo posted:

Australian Goon here.

VW is literally the largest auto maker by sales in the world right now, they're not going out of business. When you say 92 TSI do you mean a 1992 or is there some sort of silly naming you guys down in OZ have. I didn't think the TSI came about until a few years ago.