Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A week old but I didn't see it posted: the Cooler dude who used to be with MWG but then left (and now just plays whatever games he wants and gets stoned and it's great) did a batrep for Kings of War. I've never played any mass fantasy game but it looks real good, and both guys seemed to be into it and had a lot of fun... he was particularly enamored with KoW's maneuver-based combat. Also had decent-to-good things to say about the Elf models. What he says about how they look bad on photograph but look pretty good in person is something I've heard from several people.

Really hoping they do more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I've seen them in person and he is a dirty liar. Those horrible dragon riders wouldn't have looked good next to earl 80's Ral Partha minis let alone modern wargaming ones.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I've seen them in person and he is a dirty liar. Those horrible dragon riders wouldn't have looked good next to earl 80's Ral Partha minis let alone modern wargaming ones.

The duck riders, sure, but I quite like the infantry.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NTRabbit posted:

The duck riders, sure, but I quite like the infantry.

I know, you've made your opinion clear and it's wrong. They look like absolute rear end.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I know, you've made your opinion clear and it's wrong. They look like absolute rear end.

Nu uh :colbert:

So how's this for a very crude first attempt at an Ogre standard?

Picture the Ogre skull as painted a flat white, and the 4 red lines being more torn and jagged than even MS paint can do on a whim, and the star also flat white. The star is because the name they have is the Dawnstar Shock Company, which could change.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 3, 2016

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Maybe a little busy. I'd go for two of the symbols at most.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I think the Mantic Elves look fine. Here are some photos. I'm not the best painter, but as far as giving you a good idea of how they'll look on a battlefield, I think this is pretty accurate.

These are some Palace Guard. I wasn't happy with my initial results so I put a bit more effort into highlighting them and they look totally fine now.

This is a unit of Seaguard, so you can see some archers, spearmen, and even the command models. They look totally fine as far as miniature elves go.

And yeah, the old Drakon Rider looks stupid, but it's also out of print and isn't the worst monster I've seen so long as it's painted OK. But the Elf Battledragon rules.

Oh, and something that's still a work in progress. BAWK!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Not a viking posted:

Maybe a little busy. I'd go for two of the symbols at most.

Seconding this. Maybe do the Skull with the star on it's forehead?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

I think they look like rear end individually, but look pretty good when ranked up.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
They look ok-ish if you do them with faerie wings like one dude did (link isn't working), but they're way too skinny for my liking.

The army I have really liked thus far is Undead as there isn't very many miniatures in that line that I don't like. And back when Warhammer was still a thing, being able to buy two boxes of the Undead army for the price they were at was an absolute steal and helped form the backbone of my Vampire army a lot cheaper than Warhammer ever could be.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really want to like the Mantic elves, but I agree that they're just generally too spindly-looking. I don't see this as a fault of the miniature, mind you, but a fault in how Mantic chose to depict elves in their universe. Give me some proper Tolkien movie-elves any day.

Asterians for Warpath, however, look goddamn baller.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

boom boom boom posted:

They said in the comments that they plan for the Kickstarter to only cover the comics through the Woodbury arc, which sucks because it means no Dread Pirate Michonne

Maybe they actually mean the expansions will only cover up to Woodbury. Apparently the non-Grimes survivors come from the Alexandria arc. It makes sense, I can't imagine them not doing Neagan. So there's still a chance of Ezekial and Shiva.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I don't know how many of you have read TWD, but if you have can you please keep in mind that those of us who haven't and are just watching the TV show don't know what is coming up, e.g.:

boom boom boom posted:

It doesn't help that they're starting at the beginning. If it was one arm Rick and scarred Andrea and tank assault Governor, they'd look a lot cooler.

So if you could just please consider the spoilers...that'd be great...

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The comics and the show are pretty different, from what I've seen. One of those things posted earlier is kind of a spoiler for the show but it's all pretty tame. So far nothing's been posted that's a big spoiler and I imagine that was Mantic/Skybounds plan, so that people won't be bothered by reading about a game they might otherwise be interested in.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

krushgroove posted:

The show and the comics are completely different at this point, and no way will the show actually do the stuff in that spoiler just for practical reasons.

The comic, and this is minor, actual post-apoc society thing won't be in the show for years if ever. It would be more expensive and the basic-survival-soap-opera-with-walkers style is working for the show just fine.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Alright, well if that's the case cool then - I just don't want to start the new half-series wondering 'is this the episode where this character loses an appendage/eye/loved one?'

If nothing else this encourages me to pick up the trade paperbacks.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
The comics are pretty good on their own and the way they differ from the show is really interesting. I picked them up after getting into Telltale's really good Walking Dead games and it's all really good. If you like the show, you will probably like the comic but it's not always so the other way around.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

krushgroove posted:

I don't know how many of you have read TWD, but if you have can you please keep in mind that those of us who haven't and are just watching the TV show don't know what is coming up, e.g.:

Sorry, I'll spoiler stuff in the future. The show has went through the parts of the story where those events happened and didn't do them, so don't worry about being spoiled by it.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

How long does Mantic stuff usually take to be delivered to the US? In a couple days here, it'll have been 3 weeks since I got my 'order dispatched' email.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

boom boom boom posted:

Sorry, I'll spoiler stuff in the future. The show has went through the parts of the story where those events happened and didn't do them, so don't worry about being spoiled by it.

No worries man, I haven't read any of the comics so don't know how any plotlines or arcs have diverged, I know I'm way behind reading the comics though.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

What are some good tricks for painting up a large amount of Deadzone terrain relatively quickly? Any that leverage it's particular surface detail or aesthetic, specifically?

I'm supposing that a zenithal technique might work, either using black -> gray -> white with a glaze over most of it, or simply dark color -> color -> light color in diminishing degrees might work.

A few people in my lgs suggested simply a large scale drybrush with a base color and then less of a highlight, probably over black primer. Either of these techniques probably look better finished with a wash.

I've thrown all the sets I had into essentially a military camp with more of the armored pieces and a small ruined settlement outside it's walls. The grungier drybrush style likely works for the ruins, but I'm considering more of the studio military style for the base.

I have an airbrush, so I'd imagine that makes it easier.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Got my uber crazy box :toot:

6 sprues of battlezones (2 defensive, 2 walls, 2 accessories), a sprue of skeleton troops, a command sprue for orx marauders, five stormrage veterans, one dwarf warpath tank, ten corporation troopers, two bags of ten "Kovoss Kryptics" from Dreadball (custom mutants), two mvps (Helga and Ludwig), a yellow Loka team, burning cows, a martian giant ant and spider, a giant martian robot, and two very important martians.

Some fun stuff, I mostly use my minis for D&D right now so this was a great belated Christmas present.

DO IT TO IT posted:

How long does Mantic stuff usually take to be delivered to the US? In a couple days here, it'll have been 3 weeks since I got my 'order dispatched' email.

10-15 working days for rest of world shipping is what their site says, and they've been fairly consistent with that in shipping to the postal wasteland of Canada :canada:

Weirdo fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Feb 5, 2016

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Weirdo posted:

10-15 working days for rest of world shipping is what their site says, and they've been fairly consistent with that in shipping to the postal wasteland of Canada :canada:

Ahh, welp Friday will be 15 days so I guess if it doesn't arrive this week I'll email them on Monday.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

parabolic posted:

What are some good tricks for painting up a large amount of Deadzone terrain relatively quickly? Any that leverage it's particular surface detail or aesthetic, specifically?

I'm supposing that a zenithal technique might work, either using black -> gray -> white with a glaze over most of it, or simply dark color -> color -> light color in diminishing degrees might work.

A few people in my lgs suggested simply a large scale drybrush with a base color and then less of a highlight, probably over black primer. Either of these techniques probably look better finished with a wash.

I've thrown all the sets I had into essentially a military camp with more of the armored pieces and a small ruined settlement outside it's walls. The grungier drybrush style likely works for the ruins, but I'm considering more of the studio military style for the base.

I have an airbrush, so I'd imagine that makes it easier.

For generic future terrain type stuff I lay down a coat of black primer, a basecoat of a darkish brown (usually VMC English Uniform) then a sort of patchy zenithal style highlight of a medium silver and a bright silver (like say VGC Gunmetal and VGC Silver) sometimes with a few areas of bronze thrown in for variety. Then I hit it with a coat of Army Painter Strong or Minwax Polyshades Tudor, apply Vallejo Rust Effects sparsely and seal with Vallejo Matte Varnish.

Since you have an airbrush you can do some chipping and weathering if you want, it's pretty easy. I'd keep the military stuff in the same general style just for ease of painting but if you want to mix it up you could use airbrush stencils to do some decals/logos or whatever to look like whatever occupying force has put up some semblance of markings. You could also throw in some propaganda posters, general advisory stencils (THE GOVERNOR ADVISES YOU TO RECYCLE UNUSED FOOD RATIONS or whatever sci-fi junk you want) and other signs of use to make it obvious that this part is the military part.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 4, 2016

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Since you have an airbrush you can do some chipping and weathering if you want, it's pretty easy. I'd keep the military stuff in the same general style just for ease of painting but if you want to mix it up you could use airbrush stencils to do some decals/logos or whatever to look like whatever occupying force has put up some semblance of markings. You could also throw in some propaganda posters, general advisory stencils (THE GOVERNOR ADVISES YOU TO RECYCLE UNUSED FOOD RATIONS or whatever sci-fi junk you want) and other signs of use to make it obvious that this part is the military part.

A million times this. My old FLGS had a fabulous urban wasteland with great little details like gang graffiti, hobo marks, and other fun little things you'd only stop to notice mid-game. Also if you're painting lots of concrete, add some rusty stains to break up the monotony.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Awesome, thanks, I'll give it a try.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Whoever was packing the crazy boxes might need to re-evaluate their definition of Science Fiction. Ordered the sci-fi box and somehow got two bags of LOKA elementals in there. GG, random order picker. GG.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I did the $1 pledge for Warpath, and just got the "lock in your stuff" email. Should I upgrade to the 2 player starter set level, or are people backing off on it?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm only concerned about my order because of the international shipping problems I had with a regular order. Mantic seem to be taking the right steps to correct ship as far as customer service goes.

Since Walking Dead is shipping before Warpath, we might have a better idea how well that will go. Unfortunately, that still ships well after the pledge manager closes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Dulkor posted:

Whoever was packing the crazy boxes might need to re-evaluate their definition of Science Fiction. Ordered the sci-fi box and somehow got two bags of LOKA elementals in there. GG, random order picker. GG.

My understanding from previous mystery boxes they have done is that the genre designation is only in effect as long as they have some of that stuff to ship. When I got my fantasy one a while ago it was 90% Dwarfs and Goblins and then also some random Enforcer guys as well.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Are Mantic's customer service manned by idiots? I asked for an order for a science fiction crazy box to be cancelled, because I wanted an uber crazy box instead. It clearly says 'cancelled' in my order view, but now they won't refund me because I should have cancelled it myself through the website, which seems impossible. They even say that they shipped it, even though it says cancelled.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

Electric Hobo posted:

Are Mantic's customer service manned by idiots? I asked for an order for a science fiction crazy box to be cancelled, because I wanted an uber crazy box instead. It clearly says 'cancelled' in my order view, but now they won't refund me because I should have cancelled it myself through the website, which seems impossible. They even say that they shipped it, even though it says cancelled.

Who are you speaking with?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does anyone know why the Varangur Fallen are height 1 large infantry? It says loose formation and oversized glaives, so I assume they're normal human size guys with big weapons?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Whipped up another unit of Wights. This time with axes :black101:

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

moths posted:

Does anyone know why the Varangur Fallen are height 1 large infantry? It says loose formation and oversized glaives, so I assume they're normal human size guys with big weapons?

They're like chaos warriors infused with raw power, so still normal sized but can pick up a horse. Hence the bigger bases as each one is a killing machine.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh, that's actually pretty cool then. I'm looking for ways to use old models, and I probably have something to fit that bill.

Also it looks like I need to step up my Wight game, those are gorgeous.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

moths posted:

It's because they're these guys - http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Khorne-Bloodbound-Wrathmongers / http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rotbringers-Putrid-Blightkings - at the time of release they were slightly bigger than normal chaos warriors but were on 40mm bases,

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone know where I can find a list of Deadzone/Warpath figures and their corresponding base size?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daedleh posted:

Who are you speaking with?

Rich. I got through to someone else through facebook, and got another reply from Rich shortly after. He couldn't tell a 5 from a 7 so he was looking at the wrong order. At least he's looking into it for real now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

signalnoise posted:

Anyone know where I can find a list of Deadzone/Warpath figures and their corresponding base size?

I don't have a list, but own most of the line for DZ. Were you curious about a particular faction or units?