Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I mean it's not surprising Layton 7 isn't a real Layton game. I think the sales of every Layton game got worse as time went on. Plus they finished his story, and like 1200 puzzles may.....be enough. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

I tried it. Hated it. Shouldn't even be called a Layton game.

I agree it shouldn't have been called a Layton game but it gets a lot better after the first case. I think the first 3 cases are free?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

precision posted:

I agree it shouldn't have been called a Layton game but it gets a lot better after the first case. I think the first 3 cases are free?

First two are. It has nothing to do with Layton and is kind of like Ace Attorney lite, I think? I liked the first two cases, but I haven't gone back to finish yet and I'm not sure if it works on iOS 8, since Ghost Trick and that awful The World Ends With You port broke on it, so I might not finish it at all.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

First two are. It has nothing to do with Layton and is kind of like Ace Attorney lite, I think? I liked the first two cases, but I haven't gone back to finish yet and I'm not sure if it works on iOS 8, since Ghost Trick and that awful The World Ends With You port broke on it, so I might not finish it at all.

They still haven't fixed the twewy port?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Volt Catfish posted:

I mean it's not surprising Layton 7 isn't a real Layton game. I think the sales of every Layton game got worse as time went on. Plus they finished his story, and like 1200 puzzles may.....be enough. :unsmith:

The only way to go from here: Smash.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Monument Valley is good I like that one

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Oh wait what the hell Space Age is an excellent game

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Mario 3D Land is supposed to be pretty good, right? I was thinking of picking it up, saw it on sale for 50% off at Target but of course it was sold out. Now I can't find it in any stores so I'm wondering if it's out of print now. I prefer to have a physical copy if possible but I might just buy a digital copy at full price if it's worth it. Any opinions? It's got a great score on Metacritic but I can't ever take that too seriously. Is it better or worse than New Super Mario Bros 2? I just got my 3DS recently and so far I have Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter 4, and Ocarina of Time. I feel like I need some Mario in my life though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

much better than nsmb2

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Smoremaster posted:

Mario 3D Land is supposed to be pretty good, right? I was thinking of picking it up, saw it on sale for 50% off at Target but of course it was sold out. Now I can't find it in any stores so I'm wondering if it's out of print now. I prefer to have a physical copy if possible but I might just buy a digital copy at full price if it's worth it. Any opinions? It's got a great score on Metacritic but I can't ever take that too seriously. Is it better or worse than New Super Mario Bros 2? I just got my 3DS recently and so far I have Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter 4, and Ocarina of Time. I feel like I need some Mario in my life though.

It's way better than New Super Mario Bros. 2. In fact I can't think of a single negative thing to say about it. it may have supplanted Super Mario 64 as my favorite Mario game of all time.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like mobile games where you identify company logos + celebrities + flags

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty drat successful, considering how hard it is to get ahold of a copy of SF64-3D nowadays :v:.

Is it really that rare? For a while they were selling copies for $20 on Groupon like every other month.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Smoremaster posted:

Mario 3D Land is the best 2D Mario platformer ever. Also, don't be fooled and think it's short because after the 8 regular worlds there are a whole 8 more Special Worlds.

New SMB2 is not bad but not really remotely great or clever, it's far too similar to NSMB1 for starters.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Smoremaster posted:

You know how Apple makes one phone a year but then also had the 5C? It's like that, the 5C is NSMB2 while the 5S is 3D Land

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

Last time I heard about it they said "gently caress it" and just removed it from the store.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Andrast posted:

Nope.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Thanks for the opinions, I think I know what my next purchase will be. :)

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I think one of the biggest differences between mobile games and 3DS games is their intended staying power. The mobile game market (and the technology underpinning it) moves so fast that most of the time people get what they want out of a particular game within a few hours or days and move on to the next new thing. Mobile game developers know this and they design their games to capitalize on whatever is the hot trend that week and provide players with gratification as quickly as possible. Contrast this to games on the 3DS that people stick with for weeks or months because there's enough content there to continually reward players who devote a lot of time to them.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

And was first released on the 3DS anyway. NEXT

Hitman GO

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The two Nintendo game releasing on mobile this fall we know nothing about are excellent, preemptive 9/10.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

The rear end Stooge posted:

I think one of the biggest differences between mobile games and 3DS games is their intended staying power. The mobile game market (and the technology underpinning it) moves so fast that most of the time people get what they want out of a particular game within a few hours or days and move on to the next new thing. Mobile game developers know this and they design their games to capitalize on whatever is the hot trend that week and provide players with gratification as quickly as possible. Contrast this to games on the 3DS that people stick with for weeks or months because there's enough content there to continually reward players who devote a lot of time to them.

The high turnover also amounts to gently caress all for long term support. There's plenty of legitimately good ported games (with new terrible controls) out there, but I straight up refuse to spend another goddamn dollar on something that is practically guaranteed to not work the instant my carrier rolls out an OS update or when I move to another device. That poo poo got old three phones ago.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I like Pokemon Shuffle it is a F2P game and I've done everything except capture Mew Two because I need like 8 more S ranks to unlock his level and I haven't paid a cent on the game :o:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

*ALERT**ALERT**ALERT* New Mystery Dungeon game is good and hard. Worries about it being for children unfounded and libelous.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Someone told me that even if I got my NNID back on my new system I'd have to pay to redownload games anyway, is that true? Might just make a new NNID at this rate

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

Someone told me that even if I got my NNID back on my new system I'd have to pay to redownload games anyway, is that true? Might just make a new NNID at this rate

No, this is not true. If Nintendo links your NNID to your new system, then all your purchases are linked along with it, and are available for free redownload. All you lose are the save files.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Supercar Gautier posted:

No, this is not true. If Nintendo links your NNID to your new system, then all your purchases are linked along with it, and are available for free redownload. All you lose are the save files.

Argh guess I'm waiting for Nintendo to have working computers :( Thanks

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

StabMasterArson posted:

Argh guess I'm waiting for Nintendo to have working computers :( Thanks

Did you call them? They just do a thing and then you have your stuff.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

Did you call them? They just do a thing and then you have your stuff.

Yeah, been trying since Thursday. Their computers are 'down' and cant do any account stuff.
If I made a new NNID, could I at least download / play stuff online and switch it if they managed to unlink it in the future?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Don't do that

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ChaosArgate posted:

Aside from TWEWY port just, like, not working at all on the current version of iOS you're crazy if you think it's awful. It's one of the best ports I've ever played, it looks and sounds a TON better than it did on the DS and, while I guess it's subjective, I thought the new battle system was a huge improvement. I guess the port is pretty loving bad considering it just doesn't work at all right now, but when it did work (and if it ever works again) it's like the best example of a port done correctly that I've ever seen

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Don't do that

But... this brand new 3ds and copy of monster hunter :(

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

*ALERT**ALERT**ALERT* New Mystery Dungeon game is good and hard. Worries about it being for children unfounded and libelous.

The Etrian Odyssey one? How good and hard are we talking? I could barely play the Pokemon ones because I thought they were really easy and really dumb and basically roguelikes with everything good about the genre taken out, but I love EO so I'm sort of tempted

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

StabMasterArson posted:

But... this brand new 3ds and copy of monster hunter :(

Is it a cartridge copy of Monster Hunter?? Just play it, the saves store on the cart and will be fine

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Today has been a fabulous day to read a lot of very dumb and incorrect things about mobile gaming from people who couldn't be more salty. :glomp:

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

goferchan posted:

Is it a cartridge copy of Monster Hunter?? Just play it, the saves store on the cart and will be fine

Aren't there updates I need? Anything I tried to download makes me link an ID

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

StabMasterArson posted:

Aren't there updates I need? Anything I tried to download makes me link an ID

Turn off the internet and it can never check :ssh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

goferchan posted:

Aside from TWEWY port just, like, not working at all on the current version of iOS you're crazy if you think it's awful. It's one of the best ports I've ever played, it looks and sounds a TON better than it did on the DS and, while I guess it's subjective, I thought the new battle system was a huge improvement. I guess the port is pretty loving bad considering it just doesn't work at all right now, but when it did work (and if it ever works again) it's like the best example of a port done correctly that I've ever seen

I'd say you should check out the Ghost Trick port then because that's a way better port, but that doesn't work on iOS8 so that's out. AA5 has a good port though and I like that one more than TWEWY's. The game was built for the DS specifically and used like every feature of that system, so moving it to iOS cut out a lot of things, like the dual screen gameplay that reinforced the themes of the game. Yes, I know you still get your partners, but it's not quite the same when they're not always fighting simultaneously with you and are little more than a 7th pin for you that you have to build your pin deck around for better synergy because all three partners have different activations. I will give you that the audio and visual components of the port are better than the original, but the redone battle system kills it for me. I guess though that that really is a subjective point because I thought the original system was fantastic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Any goon in a (3)DS chat thread who hasn't played Ghost Trick can get out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Smoremaster posted:

Coming in late on this, but it's probably my third favorite game on 3DS after Link Between Worlds and Shovel Knight. I just finished the world S8-Crown level last night, which was pretty tough but super fun. At that price you'd be insane not to get it; it's like Mario 3 + Mario Galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I own a physical Ghost Trick cartridge and have never played it