Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lobok posted:

I remember a lot of green and brown pouches and vests.

I remember the green baths, that he teleports, and "While Solo lives, terror dies!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I always thought the deal with Solo was that writers in the early 90s wanted to do more Spider-Man vs. Punisher stories but thought that Frank was too easy to punch. See also: Cardiac.

Suit and Tie
May 19, 2009

Diet Poison posted:

This is exactly why I WANT him to officially say what it was, because of the odds that some chucklefuck is gonna come along and make it really goddamn stupid, and then that's gonna be canon. I have to believe this is some long game poo poo and Marvel is more than happy to give Aaron "Hickman Avengers" level of "yeah man, tell the story you want to". Though if not for this I'd be fine with it being like Marcellus Wallace's briefcase.

I'm thinking with Jane picking the hammer, that what was whispered was related to Thor's refusal to accept her acceptance of death. That he would potentially sacrifice his own life playing hero to selfishly to save her would be a valid reason I could be ok with.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
That'd be pretty bad, though. Jane's pretty dumb about her cancer. Didn't the Asgardians offer her magic cancer-destroying rocks and she said no because she wanted solidarity with other sufferers of a terminal disease? There's nothing noble about having cancer.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Clawtopsy posted:

That'd be pretty bad, though. Jane's pretty dumb about her cancer. Didn't the Asgardians offer her magic cancer-destroying rocks and she said no because she wanted solidarity with other sufferers of a terminal disease? There's nothing noble about having cancer.

There was a whole discussion about this in the touching moments thread, I mentioned as someone who's father is currently dying from an incurable disease (ALS, he's degenerated to the point he's in constant pain now) Jane's bullshit infuriates me. As has any time a similar circumstance has popped up in comics. There is loving nothing that is loving noble about dying, there is nothing brave about choosing to suffer and be in immense pain because it's not readily available for everyone else in the world. Food is not readily available for everyone in the world, neither is clean drinking water, people lack rights that people in better situations enjoy to the point of not noticing them. It is infuriating and loving disgusting to refuse something that can help you because you want to be noble about a cure.

And hey, just how loving selfish can you be about a cure. gently caress all the people who love you, they don't matter, gently caress everyone you could have helped, gently caress the pain you will leave behind with funeral costs and dividing your family and friends against one another when the inevitable grief causes them to blame others. You wanted to be 'noble' what a selfish disgusting loving act.

I apologize for that outburst, it is very sensitive for me. I will try not to do that again.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Onmi posted:

There was a whole discussion about this in the touching moments thread, I mentioned as someone who's father is currently dying from an incurable disease (ALS, he's degenerated to the point he's in constant pain now) Jane's bullshit infuriates me. As has any time a similar circumstance has popped up in comics. There is loving nothing that is loving noble about dying, there is nothing brave about choosing to suffer and be in immense pain because it's not readily available for everyone else in the world. Food is not readily available for everyone in the world, neither is clean drinking water, people lack rights that people in better situations enjoy to the point of not noticing them. It is infuriating and loving disgusting to refuse something that can help you because you want to be noble about a cure.

And hey, just how loving selfish can you be about a cure. gently caress all the people who love you, they don't matter, gently caress everyone you could have helped, gently caress the pain you will leave behind with funeral costs and dividing your family and friends against one another when the inevitable grief causes them to blame others. You wanted to be 'noble' what a selfish disgusting loving act.

I apologize for that outburst, it is very sensitive for me. I will try not to do that again.

It's a good and correct post, though. ALS is a lovely disease that results in a loved one wasting away, and there's nothing you can do to help them. It's not selfish in the slightest to say 'yes, I will have this miracle cure, thank you'.

You don't have anything to apologize for, emotions around terrible events are normal and healthy to express.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 4, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Suit and Tie posted:

I'm thinking with Jane picking the hammer, that what was whispered was related to Thor's refusal to accept her acceptance of death. That he would potentially sacrifice his own life playing hero to selfishly to save her would be a valid reason I could be ok with.

But how would that be news to Thor at all? And how would a heroic sacrifice make him unworthy? That's literally what every Asgardian lives for.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"Mjolnir will cause the death of Jane Foster."

Boom. That'd gently caress with his head in all kinds of ways, while being completely true.

From a certain point of view.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I dunno why y'all are doubting Aaron can't give a good whispered line that made Odinson unworthy, considering his run on Thor is very nearly Simonson-tier at this point in pure length and level of quality. We're up to, what, about sixty-ish issues he's written between God of Thunder, Original Sin: Thor and Loki, Thor, Thors, Mighty Thor, and now Unworthy Thor, and it's all been unbelievably good. The biggest mistake he's made so far was dragging out the Jane Foster reveal in Thor, which was very obviously meant to coincide with the kickoff of SW 2015. Everything else he's written for and about Thor or Odinson has been loving great.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I dunno why y'all are doubting Aaron can't give a good whispered line that made Odinson unworthy, considering his run on Thor is very nearly Simonson-tier at this point in pure length and level of quality. We're up to, what, about sixty-ish issues he's written between God of Thunder, Original Sin: Thor and Loki, Thor, Thors, Mighty Thor, and now Unworthy Thor, and it's all been unbelievably good. The biggest mistake he's made so far was dragging out the Jane Foster reveal in Thor, which was very obviously meant to coincide with the kickoff of SW 2015. Everything else he's written for and about Thor or Odinson has been loving great.

Because there is genuinely not any good answer. It's the 'long-term secret' problem which the internet only amplifies. When you introduce a secret the longer you go without revealing it the more likely it is that A) A good chunk of your fanbase already figured it out and will be disappointed or B) A good chunk of your fanbase hyped themselves up on an answer that they like better and when you don't live up to that they get upset.

If Secret Wars hadn't spread the Thor Story (Thory) out this long it would probably be less of an issue but it's incredibly hard to make a reveal stick the longer it goes. not because it ins't sensible or understandable but because the more time you give people to build something up the easier it is for it to let them down.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Because there is genuinely not any good answer. It's the 'long-term secret' problem which the internet only amplifies. When you introduce a secret the longer you go without revealing it the more likely it is that A) A good chunk of your fanbase already figured it out and will be disappointed or B) A good chunk of your fanbase hyped themselves up on an answer that they like better and when you don't live up to that they get upset.

If Secret Wars hadn't spread the Thor Story (Thory) out this long it would probably be less of an issue but it's incredibly hard to make a reveal stick the longer it goes. not because it ins't sensible or understandable but because the more time you give people to build something up the easier it is for it to let them down.

It also doesn't help that Thor is thrown backwards like a crazy person when he hears it, which only amplifies just how goddamn loving amazing this secret must be.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also it's established, by Aaron himself, that whatever Thor thinks doesn't really matter. Mjolnir's making the call.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That is how it's supposed to work, yes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That's the readers problem. I'd rather the writer not have to cut his story short because the audience is impatient. It's better to let the mystery be candy in my pocket, than a pebble in my shoe.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That's the readers problem. I'd rather the writer not have to cut his story short because the audience is impatient. It's better to let the mystery be candy in my pocket, than a pebble in my shoe.

Okay, but he actually still has to stick the landing. And especially with a long running character like Thor, who's done a fucktonne, you have backstory you're competing against. When you set up a twist or a secret, and then you let it build, then the entire run becomes predicative on what that secret is. It's why movies can be poo poo if their ending is poo poo (See: I Am Legend).

I definitively want Aaron to conclude it, because he started the whole thing and I want to believe he had a plan in mind. I don't want it pawned off on the next writer or just dropped until it was revealed 2 years later it was secretly Hornswoggle.

Aphrodite posted:

Also it's established, by Aaron himself, that whatever Thor thinks doesn't really matter. Mjolnir's making the call.

Which is weird, because you'd assume that the Hammer would have deemed him Unworthy before that point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You also have the introduction of Thorr's hammer, meaning he is actually unworthy and it's not just in his head.

And the additional wrench that whatever he did to lose the original Mjolnir isn't so severe that it can't be washed away by a heroic sacrifice that even in the moment he knows is totally futile.

(Though I guess we can't blame Aaron completely if his reveal doesn't fully mesh with someone else's story.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That moment when Thor becomes unworthy of Thorr's hammer is such a great moment in a run full of great moments.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

You also have the introduction of Thorr's hammer, meaning he is actually unworthy and it's not just in his head.

And the additional wrench that whatever he did to lose the original Mjolnir isn't so severe that it can't be washed away by a heroic sacrifice that even in the moment he knows is totally futile.

(Though I guess we can't blame Aaron completely if his reveal doesn't fully mesh with someone else's story.)

That's another story entirely, Marvel is loving hard up on writers who actually give half a poo poo what the other writers are doing. As much as Aaron might have an idea. It always takes a Bendis or a Slott to decide they actually don't particularly give much of a gently caress what Aaron wrote and then they add a "New element" to the mystery like that. And if it is Aaron vetted, then it again narrows down the options, and again, what can be so significant he isn't Worthy while not so significant that he couldn't redeem himself.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

That moment when Thor becomes unworthy of Thorr's hammer is such a great moment in a run full of great moments.

A far as last moments go, he and Hyperion had a loving amazing last issue / death before SW.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Onmi posted:

Okay, but he actually still has to stick the landing. And especially with a long running character like Thor, who's done a fucktonne, you have backstory you're competing against. When you set up a twist or a secret, and then you let it build, then the entire run becomes predicative on what that secret is. It's why movies can be poo poo if their ending is poo poo (See: I Am Legend).

I definitively want Aaron to conclude it, because he started the whole thing and I want to believe he had a plan in mind. I don't want it pawned off on the next writer or just dropped until it was revealed 2 years later it was secretly Hornswoggle.

I bet we'Il find out in Unworthy Thor. Jason Aaron hasn't disappointed me yet. Thor, Doctor Strange, and Star Wars have been really good lately.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If the book actually called Unworthy Thor doesn't address how he became Unworthy Thor it would be pretty silly.

(And I know The Spectacular Spider-Man didn't address how he became spectacular etc, but you know that's different you pedant!)

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
http://www.cbr.com/perlman-explains-how-marvels-gamora-became-a-guardian-of-the-galaxy/ - this sounds like a terrific hook for Gamora's series, and I'm always a big fan of Checchetto's art. Looking forward to this!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

It might be the reader's problem but it is a writer's problem if he can't make it stick for the readers. It isn't about impatience. It's about pacing. Especially when your releases are months apart it can be very easy for readers to burn out on a mystery. This does mean it may read better in trades but even then it depends on a lot of factors.

And all of this is assuming the unworthy whisper is a real good one by default and while I'm not prepared to say 'well, clearly it sucks," the buildup is icing on top of the cake of making the twist reveal satisfying on its own merit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If the readers have a problem, that's on the writer, usually.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really get the hate for Champions. It wasn't great, and yeah it did come off as a 50-something guy trying to write teens but it was fun to just see them interact for an issue.

Avengers was much better though

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Lurdiak posted:

If the readers have a problem, that's on the writer, usually.

Nah. You're talking about comics, where the main complaint for some readers now is that female characters' costumes aren't skimpy enough, anymore.

Events and reboots delayed Aaron's narrative, which isn't really his fault. And all the ultimate reveal has to do is to make dramatic sense within the story. If it isn't the most earth shattering reveal ever, it's not on him that readers expected that, since he didn't ever say it was going to be.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Endless Mike posted:

I don't really get the hate for Champions. It wasn't great, and yeah it did come off as a 50-something guy trying to write teens but it was fun to just see them interact for an issue.

Yeah, I thought Champions #2 was fine. I'll agree that Viv's voice is way off and the micro-aggression bit just plain doesn't make sense but Viv is a comparatively new character so I'm willing to let him come into the voice. Kamala sounded a little different too but, for me, in a way that makes complete sense in the context of the situation. I don't know what I make of Cyclops' lurking introduction but that's probably mostly because I can't figure out how, if at all, it relates to what's going on in All-New X-Men (I know it's a fool's errand but I'm an X-fan and trying to figure out convoluted continuity poo poo is like catnip.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Viv not being all that emotive makes sense to me after everything that went on in Vision.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Unemotional makes sense, but so far there's a flatness and, well, a robotic-ness that doesn't feel quite right.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I suppose we'll have to see where it goes from here. I'm only speculating as to why she's being written this way, myself, and next issue could completely invalidate it.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Waid tweeted that her voice change is intentional and is explained in issue 4.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

rantmo posted:

Yeah, I thought Champions #2 was fine. I'll agree that Viv's voice is way off and the micro-aggression bit just plain doesn't make sense but Viv is a comparatively new character so I'm willing to let him come into the voice. Kamala sounded a little different too but, for me, in a way that makes complete sense in the context of the situation. I don't know what I make of Cyclops' lurking introduction but that's probably mostly because I can't figure out how, if at all, it relates to what's going on in All-New X-Men (I know it's a fool's errand but I'm an X-fan and trying to figure out convoluted continuity poo poo is like catnip.)

scott's still busted up in x-men isn't he? it'll probably lead into him leaving the team and going to find the champions soon

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

JoshTheStampede posted:

Waid tweeted that her voice change is intentional and is explained in issue 4.

Viv decided to take a cue from Dear Ol' Dad, and erase all her emotions tied to her family, meaning she is no longer affected by how hosed up her entire family was by the end of the solo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KittyEmpress posted:

Viv decided to take a cue from Dear Ol' Dad, and erase all her emotions tied to her family, meaning she is no longer affected by how hosed up her entire family was by the end of the solo.

That would be really depressing. :smith:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

At least she has Cho now.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roth posted:

At least she has Cho now.

I really don't appreciate your home groan porno pics

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

In all seriousness, I'm not sure Cho and Viv being together is the best route to take with their characters right now.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roth posted:

In all seriousness, I'm not sure Cho and Viv being together is the best route to take with their characters right now.

it's really weird. that page was really weird

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They should never, ever stop having Sam be that guy who's always "So you're a girl Eh?".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was kinda weird

• Locked thread