Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woden
May 6, 2006
Speaking of packaging I love some of the ingenuity that goes into it with AE type stuff. A CPU in an envelope with a single stamp? Hell yeah. Meanwhile crap from elsewhere comes with cubic metres of bubble wrap and packing peanuts, all I think about when looking at it is yep, that's why it cost me $20 for the delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meskhenet posted:

when they arrive whats the best test to make sure it is real silver?

If you can't tell without testing why do you care if it's real? :v:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Bored posted:

Custom face for your "causal" bamboo watch:

http://s.aliexpress.com/BVFfQJ3E
It's in today's freebies.

This is very cute. At the price on the sales page (~$20), are watches on AE a decent quality? I've tried the $2 watches and they're fine until the loops on the band fall off.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

ekuNNN posted:

skin cancer mostly

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Meskhenet posted:

SO. for a tiny fraction of the price i ordered the same charm from aliexpress (And a few others and still had change). Choose a store thats been open for 4 years and good reviews, but when they arrive whats the best test to make sure it is real silver?

First off, check for any hallmarks that will tell you what proof the silver is, and who's made the piece. No hallmarks with numbers? Not off to a good start, though a mark alone is no guarantee the object is silver. In very small objects it might be well hidden, often inside a jump ring, you should use a magnifier to look.

Go and ask your local jeweller, they can give you an educated guess or offer to splash some acid on there to make sure. Just the acid test won't tell you if it's just silver-plated and not silver all the way through, the object should be scratched somewhere before the test is done.
I'm not sure where you are, but everywhere should have a place (an institution that handles the inspection of precious metals) where you can send them off to get extensive testing done to determine what proof silver they are, if they are silver, but they will have to put a scratch on the object to get a test sliver.

The biggest allergen ever used in metal metal mixes was always nickel (the reason you still see so many "nickel-free!" tags on jewellery), and as far as I know, western countries have not used any in their white gold or silver mixes in freaking ages, but I have no idea if this is true for somewhere like China.

I'm going to guess that if you bought some tiny silver charms, this is way too much trouble for what it's worth and especially in the case of getting proper testing done, would be too expensive to bother. Silver is not that expensive comparably speaking, and small light objects made of low-content silver really would not cost that much if they're mass-produced so it's quite possible you could've gotten the real deal.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I've bought a bunch of cheap jewelry on aliexpress, and most of it is prominently stamped 925, which is what real sterling silver would be stamped. Up to you whether you want to believe it. Mine does tarnish, but very quickly.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

I've bought a bunch of cheap jewelry on aliexpress, and most of it is prominently stamped 925, which is what real sterling silver would be stamped. Up to you whether you want to believe it. Mine does tarnish, but very quickly.

You deserve real jewelry bro. Don't settle for anything less.

Put that bling on and set the cruise control at "gently caress Yeah"

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

If NK actually disarms there's gonna be a lot of discount plutonium on the spot market.

vivica
Feb 22, 2005

Oben posted:

I got a bt8. No idea what the difference is, except how they look.

Yeah I couldn't figure out what the difference was either, thanks for the recommendation.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

Someone bought me a pandora bracelet a couple of years back, but I didn’t want to waste loads of money on their overpriced charms. Bought a whole bag of them off AE and they are pretty good quality. Pandora stuff is mostly cheap crap anyway, it’s worth pennies, they just stick it in loads of packaging to make it look exciting.

Yeah. After i showed the site to a friend, they have been buying pandora stuff and havent had any complaints. I avoided the 89c ones that looked like crap.

Did you get the 'fandola' branded stuff or just the no name?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried one of these inflatable... sofa things? Are they any good in practice? Just for occasionally chilling on the balcony or even more rarely in the park or something.

Also I've wanted to get a cheap dremel knockoff for light sanding, cleaning up PCBs and so on but even with the "30% discount" on evertyhing I can get a store brand one locally for the same price but including next-day shipping and 2 year warranty. China, you're disappointing me!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Make sure ur checkin aliprice to see if (confirm) they're just raising the price to offset the 30% discount

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried one of these inflatable... sofa things? Are they any good in practice? Just for occasionally chilling on the balcony or even more rarely in the park or something.

Depending on the inflation system, those can be tricky to fill indoors. Mine (not from ali but I assume practically the same product) is like a wind bag that you can close and without wind, it needs some room to fill it up. That said, it's surprisingly comfortable and extremely nice for a forest nap or such, considering it packs to a very small space.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

heeheex2 posted:

Make sure ur checkin aliprice to see if (confirm) they're just raising the price to offset the 30% discount
Of course they are.

33% off supposedly.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Depending on the inflation system, those can be tricky to fill indoors. Mine (not from ali but I assume practically the same product) is like a wind bag that you can close and without wind, it needs some room to fill it up. That said, it's surprisingly comfortable and extremely nice for a forest nap or such, considering it packs to a very small space.
Yeah I think this is supposed to work the same way, based on the other photos it just opens a big hole on the side to fill it in.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Anyone need a miniature of a Russian soldier eating...oatmeal? You know, for the Warhams.

http://s.aliexpress.com/YVfemA3U

I could be wrong on nationality.

Edit: I kind of wanna get the 3d printed tiny sad Keanu and the above figurine so that i can place them on a shelf where they can both look sad about their food.

Bored fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 13, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bored posted:

If he's eating, he's not Russian.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

So my wife bought two of these things, one from a legit store, and one from China. The idea of them is good but the one from China was unusable garbage that never fully inflated, so you'd lie on it and just hit the ground. The"legit" one was fine so YMMV a lot if you go with one from AX.

FYI, if anyone here's an aspiring member of the alt-right and wants to buy some knockoff Oakley sunglasses, search the brand 'Dubery'

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
Been looking to buy a Stetson boater hat.

Going full pacific islander on this one fellas.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

flashy_mcflash posted:

So my wife bought two of these things, one from a legit store, and one from China. The idea of them is good but the one from China was unusable garbage that never fully inflated, so you'd lie on it and just hit the ground. The"legit" one was fine so YMMV a lot if you go with one from AX.

So where was the legit one bought?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Bored posted:

Anyone need a miniature of a Russian soldier eating...oatmeal? You know, for the Warhams.

Edit: I kind of wanna get the 3d printed tiny sad Keanu and the above figurine so that i can place them on a shelf where they can both look sad about their food.

i almost picked up a bunch of lovely figures from AE for D&D and roleplaying markers but they looked like hot garbage and the good ones are kinda expensive

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bored posted:

You can get sad Keanu from shapeways though it's a bit pricey compared to mass produced stuff off ali:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/N2S59J3TY/a-little-sad-keanu-reeves?optionId=2718729&li=marketplace

Snowy posted:

So where was the legit one bought?
Amazon seems to have similar ones except more expensive. I haven't seen them anywhere locally (not the US) so I'll just try one from banggood for :10bux:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Cute postcards: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cre...2667180900.html

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Meskhenet posted:

Yeah. After i showed the site to a friend, they have been buying pandora stuff and havent had any complaints. I avoided the 89c ones that looked like crap.

Did you get the 'fandola' branded stuff or just the no name?

They’ve all been no-name so far. This shop is quite good for beads: http://s.aliexpress.com/yAbInyae and also has the cute stacking rings. I’m not 100% that they’re silver, but I’ve worn them for ages and they’ve not gone green yet.

Watching Silicon Valley the other day and the end credit song reminded me of this thread. https://youtu.be/rILKm-DC06A

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

BLAM BLAM Happy birthday, fucker.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

*orders a million*

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Save the date or else punk.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

blugu64 posted:

Save the date or else punk.

'You Made My Day'

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Beads?

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 14, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Now it's on you to supply the Gif.
Old school GBS rules.:colbert:

E: good.

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 14, 2018

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ok, now re-enact the Wicker Man bee scene

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Sharpest Crayon posted:

If you're like me, you like your bath scrub to be harsh. If you can't feel your skin peeling, it's not harsh enough.
I spent years trying to find a scrub that's hard enough, I even tried pan scrubbers. Cue these cheap nylon fuckers:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/WEC...0004520261.html

They are nothing like those soft nylon scrunchy netlike sponges that you might've seen that do an awesome foamy lather or whatever. No, these do one job and that job is to scrape off as much skin as possible without actually being a power tool. They feel incredible.
They're currently 2.17, will be 1.79 in the sale, both of those prices being less than I paid for them, so you can be sure you're saving pennies!

Mine just got here today.

Pick posted:

These are PHENOMENAL by the way.

They really are.

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's a potato-peeling glove lol

I'm a potato.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

:laffo:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
This won't bring back your goddamned honey.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I have that microwave cleaning mama on my wedding registry. Is it legit?

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

:v: H-hey guys, wanna do some stuuuuuuuuff?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

I have that microwave cleaning mama on my wedding registry. Is it legit?

It doesn't do anything a microwave safe cup full of vinegar and/or water won't do. Or a wet paper towel/sponge and some elbow grease.

It looks cute, I guess.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I got it mostly for the scornful facial expression.
"Stop daydreaming and clean the goddamn micro!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax