Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

TetsuoTW posted:

cool now tell us your opinions on anita sarkeesian

shes cool and right and not a serial sexual abuser like zoe quinn or a dog-murderer like brianna wu.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Pirate Radar posted:

Next year in theaters, a movie in which I play Scarlett Johanssen, within which she (I) is/am in a movie playing Adolf Hitler, and Scarlett Johanssen cameos, both in the movie in which I'm playing her (she appears as both the angel and devil on her (my) shoulders while she (I) debate(s) accepting the role of the doomed, genocidal leader of Germany), and within the film within a film in which she (I) play(s) Adolf Hitler (she appears as Hermann Goering).

It's cool that Scarlett Johanssen being cast as a Japanese woman fell off everyone's radar because the Ghost in the Shell adaptation sucked rear end.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Badger of Basra posted:

is that not the intent behind this post? I don’t agree with it or anything

I think the intent is that those specific people are dumb as poo poo and turbo woke

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's cool that Scarlett Johanssen being cast as a Japanese woman fell off everyone's radar because the Ghost in the Shell adaptation sucked rear end.

I remember feeling a small ray of hope that it could be cool when I first heard that they were making it, but then everything else about it happened.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Your Parents posted:

heres a hot take. most people i see complaining about cultural imperialism and people playing parts/wearing clothes/eating food/etc that arent of their own culture are like a step and a half from calling for building a wall and preserving a future for their children. they come from similar places of desire for racial purity and cultural isolationism.

See now that's a hot take

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pirate Radar posted:

Next year in theaters, a movie in which I play Scarlett Johanssen, within which she (I) is/am in a movie playing Adolf Hitler, and Scarlett Johanssen cameos, both in the movie in which I'm playing her (she appears as both the angel and devil on her (my) shoulders while she (I) debate(s) accepting the role of the doomed, genocidal leader of Germany), and within the film within a film in which she (I) play(s) Adolf Hitler (she appears as Hermann Goering).

As long as Hitler is finally portrayed as a proud woman of colour.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Change my view : Bitches ain’t poo poo but hoes and tricks

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Terror Sweat posted:

Change my view : Bitches ain’t poo poo but hoes and tricks

No that's a fact, Dr Dre said it, he's a doctor

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As long as Hitler is finally portrayed as a proud woman of colour.

MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏HITLERS👏

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

I remember feeling a small ray of hope that it could be cool when I first heard that they were making it, but then everything else about it happened.

The woke solution they had where The Major was literally a Japanese woman whose cyberbrain was implanted into a white woman's body, was somehow more offensive and made even less sense than if she was just a white woman in the Japanese police.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The woke solution they had where The Major was literally a Japanese woman whose cyberbrain was implanted into a white woman's body, was somehow more offensive and made even less sense than if she was just a white woman in the Japanese police.

wow thats insanely stupid

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Your Parents posted:

heres a hot take. most people i see complaining about cultural imperialism and people playing parts/wearing clothes/eating food/etc that arent of their own culture are like a step and a half from calling for building a wall and preserving a future for their children. they come from similar places of desire for racial purity and cultural isolationism.

Enjoy living in the future global monoculture, where choosing to go to Taco Bell instead of McDonalds represents a significant cultural excursion.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

KiteAuraan posted:

Hot Take: The Guy Who Played the Emperor in Star Wars being an unironic Enoch Powell fan and playing him in a radio version of THAT speech in 2018 is loving hilarious.

Wait the palpatine actor is a fash ?

Im pretty sure he died some years ago

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

CountFosco posted:

Enjoy living in the future global monoculture, where choosing to go to Taco Bell instead of McDonalds represents a significant cultural excursion.

in my future monoculture youll have a choice between the gulag or the guillotine

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Kurtofan posted:

Wait the palpatine actor is a fash ?

Im pretty sure he died some years ago

Nope, Ian McDiarmid is still kickin' and 5 years younger than Patrick Stewart.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SamuelTedder/status/1018181008884207623

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

wasn't motoko modeled on the white women shirow jacked off to

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonathan Fisk posted:

wasn't motoko modeled on the white women shirow jacked off to

that’s how all anime is.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Your Parents posted:

These people are insane. You should hire irl murderers to play famous murderers in biopics and hire a completely unknown disabled actor for your lead instead of letting Daniel day Lewis pretend to be paralyzed.

your gimmick is really good, this is actually how my dad would post

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Kurtofan posted:

in my future monoculture youll have a choice between the gulag or the guillotine

I'm not too worried, modern commies can't even revolution anymore. Lenin was able to take out the Czar, sure, but I doubt he could handle Pepsi.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

KiteAuraan posted:

Nope, Ian McDiarmid is still kickin' and 5 years younger than Patrick Stewart.

ah poo poo I was thinking of Ian Abercrombie

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Pirate Radar posted:

it's the only anna mae i like, which doomed it to the stupidest possible movie

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's a case study for all the ways Hollywood fails to adapt foreign cinema. Even down to rejecting in the end, uniting with another entity to achieve a godlike apotheosis, in favor of preserving her mundane individuality like a good American.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/theonion/status/606850267133444096

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

got any sevens posted:

MORE 👏 WOMEN 👏HITLERS👏

You mess with the girl, you get the Hitler!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a case study for all the ways Hollywood fails to adapt foreign cinema. Even down to rejecting in the end, uniting with another entity to achieve a godlike apotheosis, in favor of preserving her mundane individuality like a good American.

Wait, isn't that a Deus Ex ending?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Can't wait for the Hollywood take on Neuromancer.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lit her

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't mean to take a drizzling poo poo on your parade but the original director of the anime said its not white washing because assuming somebody with no memories, a new name and a wholly manufactured body was a specific race before hand was stupid. But you know what does the actual creator know, lets go with some tanky on a message board instead!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hot take: anime is bad.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

mrmcd posted:

Hot take: anime is bad.

But what if it's sometimes good?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

But what if it's sometimes good?

nope

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

you son of a bitch!

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
you can always tell an angry anime fan by the overblown purpled stupidity of their insults, it's like clockwork

"drooling idiot" lmao

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrmcd posted:

frozen solid take: anime is bad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

anime is blood

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

anime is blood

hot take: all webcomics are anime

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

hot take: all webcomics are anime

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vAyJ5r_20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Byolante posted:

I don't mean to take a drizzling poo poo on your parade but the original director of the anime said its not white washing because assuming somebody with no memories, a new name and a wholly manufactured body was a specific race before hand was stupid. But you know what does the actual creator know, lets go with some tanky on a message board instead!

Except that's obviously a narrative device invented as an after-thought to explain away why it's actually ok that they cast the Major as a white woman. In fact it completely overwhelms all the themes of the original work by substituting existential dread over the nature of what it means to be human, or even if being human is worthwhile - with a trite amnesiac journey of self-discovery. Instead of being transhuman it's transracial. Instead of becoming greater than oneself, it covets individuality. It's not just a bad adaptation, it's reactionary.