Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The Corvette button wall owns actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

It should extend all the way to the ceiling you don’t have to see or hear your passenger and can better pretend you are piloting a race car or perhaps spaceship.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It should extend all the way to the ceiling you don’t have to see or hear your passenger and can better pretend you are piloting a race car or perhaps spaceship.

Seat should be in the middle with a wall of buttons on each side of the driver.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Keyser_Soze posted:

the C8 Corvette interior is so annoying with the dumb "WALL" how are you supposed to get freaky in that thing?

The worst part are the steering wheel spokes angled opposite the Corvette logo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Do people with small dongs buy corvettes, or does buying a corvette turn your dong small? One of life's great mysteries, perhaps.

We could test this, if someone were to buy me a corvette.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

bird with big dick posted:

Do people with small dongs buy corvettes, or does buying a corvette turn your dong small? One of life's great mysteries, perhaps.

Selfless and brave, putting your wiener in jeopardy like that. My hat is off to you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

You want a Corvette and a forum name change? There is no limit to some peoples' greed.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I guess this thread is the appropriate one to post this in?

US approves new headlights that won’t blind oncoming drivers

quote:

Anyone who has ever been temporarily blinded by high-beam headlights from an oncoming car will be happy to hear this.

U.S. highway safety regulators are about to allow new high-tech headlights that can automatically tailor beams so they focus on dark areas of the road and don’t create glare for oncoming drivers.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says it issued a final rule allowing what’s called “adaptive driving beam headlights” on new vehicles. It will go into effect when published in the Federal Register in the next few days.

The headlights, commonly used in Europe, have LED lamps that can focus beams on darkness such as the driver’s lane and areas along the roadside. They also lower the intensity of the light beams if there’s oncoming traffic. Camera sensors and computers help determine where the light should go.

“This final rule will improve safety for pedestrians and bicyclists by making them more visible at night, and will help prevent crashes by better illuminating animals and objects in and along the road,” the agency said in a news release on Tuesday.

The new rule, which was supported by the auto industry, comes as the safety agency grapples with a dramatic rise in traffic deaths nationwide.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Deteriorata posted:

I guess this thread is the appropriate one to post this in?

US approves new headlights that won’t blind oncoming drivers

My F-150 has these but you have to reprogram the computer to make it think you are Canadian to get them working. Hopefully this means they can activate them for everyone via a software update.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The cynic in me feels like people will tune them on purpose to go back to blinding people

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah those headlights can see oncoming cars but seem to ignore tail lights so you get laser eye correction in the rear view still. The ones on some new cars are insanely bright.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Yeah those headlights can see oncoming cars but seem to ignore tail lights so you get laser eye correction in the rear view still. The ones on some new cars are insanely bright.

My understanding is most of them do avoid tail lights.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Most new cars have at least automatic highbeams that work when cars are in front of you, so I don't know why the fancier version of that wouldn't.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Saukkis posted:

My understanding is most of them do avoid tail lights.

Them shits are still blinding then.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

1. Is this the same as 'laser' headlights allowed elsewhere than the USA?

2. I think very few cars on the road today have true adaptive LED beam lights, I have only seen it on expensive trim levels of expensive cars. From videos I see online the true adaptive tech does respond to tail lights and head lights. Non-adaptive LEDs can be very bright so this would be a welcome change. But I bet will still be only on expensive trims.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

1. Is this the same as 'laser' headlights allowed elsewhere than the USA?

You can do this tech with LED projection lights too. Also, laser headlights are absolutely allowed in the USA - I have them on my BMW. You just can't get the adaptive part because up until now, the federal government required headlights to project a certain shape. That's what is changing here. For a lot of cars, it will just be a software update to enable them.

Inner Light posted:

2. I think very few cars on the road today have true adaptive LED beam lights, I have only seen it on expensive trim levels of expensive cars. From videos I see online the true adaptive tech does respond to tail lights and head lights. Non-adaptive LEDs can be very bright so this would be a welcome change. But I bet will still be only on expensive trims.

I was saying that most cars have automatic highbeams, not adaptive headlights. Although even my Focus has the most basic form of adaptive headlights (that just pivot side to side as you turn) - there are lots of variations on what "adaptive" means. Of course this particular kind will still be a premium option, but it's good that you can actually get it now.

Edit for people who haven't seen what they can do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDJi240E_ZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtAckb56Mts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxYiiagTI_4

KillHour fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 16, 2022

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, you don't need anything too fancy or complex, you just need high beams that can pivot a bit from center (to create a gap) and operate independently (to dim or dip the driver's side for oncoming traffic.)

I'm pretty sure my golf R can do it, it just needs to be coded for it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, you don't need anything too fancy or complex, you just need high beams that can pivot a bit from center (to create a gap) and operate independently (to dim or dip the driver's side for oncoming traffic.)

I'm pretty sure my golf R can do it, it just needs to be coded for it.

The specific thing the law refers to though is the patterns. You can have a headlight legally pivot and auto level in the US. It just couldn't selectively change the light pattern.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I meant from a hardware perspective you don't need anything too fancy so it shouldn't just be just on huge trims with laser headlights and such.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I don't see how this will fix anything. Jackasses in their lifted trucks won't be installing these new lights.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Inner Light posted:

Upper trim levels of the Mazda 3 have them in other markets so not particularly expensive

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I don't see how this will fix anything. Jackasses in their lifted trucks won't be installing these new lights.

Wrong they will have them from the factory but they won't be calibrated to the new ride height so it will blind you worse somehow.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

dissss posted:

Upper trim levels of the Mazda 3 have them in other markets so not particularly expensive

I think Opel Astra also had them available since the 2016 model year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

Wrong they will have them from the factory but they won't be calibrated to the new ride height so it will blind you worse somehow.

Smoke tunes will just automatically come with headlight reflashes that:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The cynic in me feels like people will tune them on purpose to go back to blinding people

Because we've created a society of cartoonish Captain Planet villains

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm all for reducing oncoming glare, but won't this make every headlight housing be non-user-fixable and $1000+? Something that would disproportionately affect lower income folks in the event of a failure, particularly out of warranty.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

These aren't requirements. This is fixing the standards so they are allowed finally.

It's not likely to dramatically change the hardware costs of vehicles sold in the US as a lot of them already HAVE the hardware due to them being legal in Europe for like a decade.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BloodBag posted:

I'm all for reducing oncoming glare, but won't this make every headlight housing be non-user-fixable and $1000+? Something that would disproportionately affect lower income folks in the event of a failure, particularly out of warranty.

I'm sure it'll be a while until you see this kinda thing in Corollas and Civics and the like.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

IOwnCalculus posted:

C8s in general also make a huge portion of stereotypical Corvette Buyers very mad because the engine is in back, so I love them anyway.

Also as much as I love a stick, what the C8 is trying to be and do is no longer the domain of a manual transmission. After how "well" the last moon-shot manual GM project sold (CTS-V Wagon), they might have finally learned their lesson about building cars that enthusiasts want to buy... used, in 10 years, for 1/4 of MSRP.

The CTS-V wagon was never intended to sell at any great volume. And it wasn't much of a "moon-shot" because it was just the same -V mechanicals that they were putting in the coupes and sedans (and also some Camaros iirc). It also wasn't the last manual -V car. The ATS-V could be had with a stick. The just released CT5-V and CT4-V Blackwings can be ordered with sticks.

GM's stated reason for no manual C8 is that cutting the hole for it would compromise the center "spine" of its frame. I think the real reason is probably a little bit of that and a lot of having already spent the entire development budget on designing a mid-engine near-super car that they could sell for 60K.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Perhaps shifter feel is part of it? I know it was an ancient car, but my 914 was like a stick in a bag of marbles, AND a dogleg first. Fun times there.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Do these adaptive headlights have moving elements or do they just turn certain LEDs on or off (and/or adjust PWM duty cycles) depending on conditions?

Moving elements inside of expensive headlights seem like another good way for manufacturers to make sure that 15-year-old cars need $3000 worth of headlight repairs and therefore end up in junkyards.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

PBCrunch posted:

Do these adaptive headlights have moving elements or do they just turn certain LEDs on or off (and/or adjust PWM duty cycles) depending on conditions?

Moving elements inside of expensive headlights seem like another good way for manufacturers to make sure that 15-year-old cars need $3000 worth of headlight repairs and therefore end up in junkyards.

The S Class I got to play in had a shitload of individual LEDs firing into a reflector, in conjunction with a windscreen mounted sensor just switched off whichever LEDs would be firing at a car ahead. It was basically a grid of LEDs which would selectively turn off as and when. The lights were insanely bright so if the controlling module went tits up and they were just on, the poor bastards coming the other way would have no chance.

These images showing which of the LEDs in the array is lit to produce the pattern of headlights.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BloodBag posted:

That's already true of most new cars.

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure it'll be a while until you see this kinda thing in Corollas and Civics and the like.

I'd expect it'll happen quite quickly - if you consider it a safety feature (like radar cruise) then it makes sense to add it to every model.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

dissss posted:

I'd expect it'll happen quite quickly - if you consider it a safety feature (like radar cruise) then it makes sense to add it to every model.

TIL a base Corolla comes standard with adaptive cruise

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The S Class I got to play in had a shitload of individual LEDs firing into a reflector, in conjunction with a windscreen mounted sensor just switched off whichever LEDs would be firing at a car ahead. It was basically a grid of LEDs which would selectively turn off as and when. The lights were insanely bright so if the controlling module went tits up and they were just on, the poor bastards coming the other way would have no chance.

These images showing which of the LEDs in the array is lit to produce the pattern of headlights.

I've driven an XC40 Recharge that had some sort of adaptive headlights that I didn't figure out how they worked. But I just saw Bjorn has a pretty good example of the system working in the BMW iX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_XEQ8n-R5M

This is something I'd really want retrofitted into the miata (obviously not happening). Last week we had nice weather finally so I was hauling rear end on some backroads when it got dark. With high beams on I could still do some decent speed but whenever I switchd them off for oncoming traffic, I really couldn't see poo poo anymore and had to brake just to avoid outdriving the visibility. It sucked.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sab669 posted:

TIL a base Corolla comes standard with adaptive cruise

The Honda Fit did in its last few years, still under $20k.

I think the only reason the Yaris didn't is because it's a Mazda.

Edit: But you can easily configure a Suburban north of $70k that won't have adaptive cruise, it's still on the tech packages for big body-on-frame SUVs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

This is something I'd really want retrofitted into the miata (obviously not happening). Last week we had nice weather finally so I was hauling rear end on some backroads when it got dark. With high beams on I could still do some decent speed but whenever I switchd them off for oncoming traffic, I really couldn't see poo poo anymore and had to brake just to avoid outdriving the visibility. It sucked.

Have you tried swapping out for a fresh pair of bulbs? I got some Osram clones (they stopped making them) and they work so much better than the long life bulbs the car came with, without any blue coating or gimmicks like that. I don't really know how bulbs in the EU market are though, besides the fact I ordered the Osram clones :v:

Also bulbs get dimmer as they age of course.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Are the new Corollas nice cars to have with the 2.0 NA engine?

Also is Mazda bringing back the Mazda 6 with RWD or is that cancelled?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

The Honda Fit did in its last few years, still under $20k.

I think the only reason the Yaris didn't is because it's a Mazda.

Edit: But you can easily configure a Suburban north of $70k that won't have adaptive cruise, it's still on the tech packages for big body-on-frame SUVs.

No more Honda Fit in the USA :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kraftwerk posted:

Also is Mazda bringing back the Mazda 6 with RWD or is that cancelled?

I'm skeptical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

PBCrunch posted:

On no, another moving part in a vehicle that has literally thousands.

Good news, once widespread electrification happens, the reduction in maintenance and other moving parts will still allow it to be a net gain.

Besides, many cars already DO have moving elements in their headlights and have for years from leveling systems. Even my sub $30k BRZ has a knob to change the level of the HIDs from inside the car.

The driver side headlamp for a 2021 Corolla without any adaptive headlights is a MSRP of $1200. These things are already expensive, adding some tiny motors or more LEDs isn't going to change things dramatically.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 16, 2022