Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My Mazda has a great knob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

KillHour posted:

Someone plug a mouse into their car and see if it works.

And please make that a ball mouse.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

My Mazda has a great knob.

100% agreed.
I love the knob on my 2021 Mazda 6. Granted it’s my third straight Mazda so I’m used to the environment but it’s just so intuitive. I love the feedback, it runs quickly, does apple CarPlay. It takes very little of my attention while driving.
And the interior feels so well built. I shopped for a long time and test drove a ton of cars and just couldn’t find anything that gave me the balance of quality and price that Mazda did.
I cross shopped the Stinger, Acura TLX, Audi A6, and Genesis G80 for reference.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

McTinkerson posted:

I want Grayhill's CANbus touch encoder to be used more. I'm already looking for way to retrofit it into my 2006 Mazda.

https://www.touchencoder.com/

Edit: Not the new flush mount one obviously. The original rotary version.

Ohh yeahhhh, this is great. I've been thinking of ways to have Audi TT style climate controls in my Mini and this could be the ticket. Except I know next to nothing about CANbus or programming.

Adding onto the praise for Mazda's excellent interface design, the rotary controls in our CX-5 work fantastically.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 12, 2022

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Dr.Donkeypunch posted:

100% agreed.
I love the knob on my 2021 Mazda 6. Granted it’s my third straight Mazda so I’m used to the environment but it’s just so intuitive. I love the feedback, it runs quickly, does apple CarPlay. It takes very little of my attention while driving.
And the interior feels so well built. I shopped for a long time and test drove a ton of cars and just couldn’t find anything that gave me the balance of quality and price that Mazda did.

I had a Mazda 6 as a rental when they were totaling out my old 4Runner a couple years ago and I found the knob to be a challenge as an Old Toyota Luddite.

I had it for like 4 days and it was so distracting it drove me nuts. I know it takes more time but I spent several minutes fullbore :psyduck: when I got in the car the first time.

I loving hated the AT programming too, but then I found the race to the highest gear is just now a standard of modern autos.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

I loving hated the AT programming too, but then I found the race to the highest gear is just now a standard of modern autos.

Yeah that's just a modern car thing. Gotta be in top gear by 35mph!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

opengl128 posted:

Yeah that's just a modern car thing. Gotta be in top gear by 35mph!

Really lugging the engine makes fuel economy number go up! Other potential side effects won't be an issue until much later in the car's life so who cares about those.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Blackhawk posted:

Really lugging the engine makes fuel economy number go up! Other potential side effects won't be an issue until much later in the car's life so who cares about those.

On most modern cars the engine is tuned for all of the torque in the first few thousand RPMs and the transmission ratios are so short that spinning 2500 in 6th gear at 40mph isn’t lugging the engine.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
The Android Auto voice commands work reasonably well for choosing music, so I reckon that's where we're headed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deteriorata posted:

Try using the touchpad on a laptop while a car is in motion.

to be fair the touchpad is affixed to the car so doesn't move independently of the vehicle, so it would not be this bad

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried TrackPoint™ based car interface? You could even put it on top of the gear knob and fondle it with your thumb.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone tried TrackPoint™ based car interface? You could even put it on top of the gear knob and fondle it with your thumb.

the CarClit

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Guess who has 2 thumbs and MORE problems with his FoRS

:suicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What now!?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

What now!?

He got stranded :smith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KillHour posted:

What now!?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3699520&pagenumber=901&perpage=40&userid=0#post521438452

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wellllllll poo poo. Finally got home. As it was being lowered off the truck bed there was some fluid on the bed. So probably not just the pedal itself.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Looks like you're going to be replacing a master cylinder / clutch line

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Built fjord tough. The fjord of mystery liquid is under your car.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dr.Donkeypunch posted:

100% agreed.

People who borrow my car know that they'll lose a finger for each finger-print on the screen I find when I get it back. They all know how to handle the knob.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You sound annoying to be friends with

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wouldn’t handle your knob even if it was diamonds

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

People who borrow my car know that they'll lose a finger for each finger-print on the screen I find when I get it back. They all know how to handle the knob.

Do I have to wear gloves to work your knob?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

Do I have to wear gloves to work your knob?

if they tell you you don't need to wear a glove, you should really really wear a glove.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KillHour posted:

You sound annoying to be friends with

:thejoke:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i thought jokes were supposed to be funny and or clever

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Surprise surprise, the Maverick hasn't left the factory yet, that delivery date was a lie

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
A lot of them produced since the new year have been held up at dispatch waiting for some modules that weren't installed during initial production. But by the sounds of it that logjam is clearing so it shouldn't be too much longer I'd think.

Mine is scheduled for production next week so now it's a tense next few days to see if mine actually goes into production after being rescheduled 4 times (and a fifth forwards a week).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The Canadian truckers blocking the border between Detroit and Windsor is also holding up supplies of parts and thus production.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

darnon posted:

A lot of them produced since the new year have been held up at dispatch waiting for some modules that weren't installed during initial production. But by the sounds of it that logjam is clearing so it shouldn't be too much longer I'd think.

Mine is scheduled for production next week so now it's a tense next few days to see if mine actually goes into production after being rescheduled 4 times (and a fifth forwards a week).

Mine is fully built according to the tracker, waiting shipment.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
the 2023 Corvette C8 z06 absolutely WILL have haters bawing and clout chasers on their tails. I hope to own one some day.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

styls trill epic posted:

the 2023 Corvette C8 z06 absolutely WILL have haters bawing and clout chasers on their tails. I hope to own one some day.

Perhaps its because I'm too old, but what does this even mean?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BloodBag posted:

Perhaps its because I'm too old, but what does this even mean?

Terrible GBS style spam poster.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
definitely a re-reg account that enjoys getting probed constantly

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That being said 670hp at 8,400rpm out of a N/A V8 is pretty sick. Flat plane? How has reliability held up for the Ford flat planes?

Edit: dual clutch only though? 👎

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

enjoys getting probed constantly

who doesnt?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Charles posted:

That being said 670hp at 8,400rpm out of a N/A V8 is pretty sick. Flat plane? How has reliability held up for the Ford flat planes?

Edit: dual clutch only though? 👎

C8s in general also make a huge portion of stereotypical Corvette Buyers very mad because the engine is in back, so I love them anyway.

Also as much as I love a stick, what the C8 is trying to be and do is no longer the domain of a manual transmission. After how "well" the last moon-shot manual GM project sold (CTS-V Wagon), they might have finally learned their lesson about building cars that enthusiasts want to buy... used, in 10 years, for 1/4 of MSRP.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

C8s in general also make a huge portion of stereotypical Corvette Buyers very mad because the engine is in back, so I love them anyway.

Also as much as I love a stick, what the C8 is trying to be and do is no longer the domain of a manual transmission. After how "well" the last moon-shot manual GM project sold (CTS-V Wagon), they might have finally learned their lesson about building cars that enthusiasts want to buy... used, in 10 years, for 1/4 of MSRP.

Mid engine supremacy. Honestly driving an "automatic" (1-speed) has been super great for commuting for me. I'm a bad AIer :v:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
the C8 Corvette interior is so annoying with the dumb "WALL" how are you supposed to get freaky in that thing?

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Keyser_Soze posted:

the C8 Corvette interior is so annoying with the dumb "WALL" how are you supposed to get freaky in that thing?

Everyone who drives a Corvette has SUCH A SMALL DONG that they can't even do anything with it, assuming they're NOT TOO OLD to even get it up to begin with.