Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

5th descent apparently.

It's the pressure cycles that get you. The lesson that The Comet disaster taught, that still get's ignored.

Just because it works when you tested it the first time, you can't assume it'll hold up to repeated stressing and release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Deptfordx posted:

5th descent apparently.

It's the pressure cycles that get you. The lesson that The Comet disaster taught, that still get's ignored.

Just because it works when you tested it the first time, you can't assume it'll hold up to repeated stressing and release.

If I've learned anything about carbon fibre, it's when it replaced wood for hockey sticks the sticks were way way more strong, consistent and had the exact flex each player wanted for their particular game. However, where a wood stick will give signs of fatigue and wear before developing splits/cracks, the carbon fibre sticks will seem totally fine until all of a sudden without warning they would literally explode from a hard shot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
As someone who rode a touristy sub to view a shipwreck:

Ours only went down 151 feet, not exactly Marianas Trench tours but reassuringly closer to the surface

Support ship was in contact the whole time (not sure the method of communication) with two divers standing by at all times to assist in an emergency. In an event of a power failure the divers would swim down and attach floaties or something and float the sub back up to the surface.

Sufficient natural light reached the sea floor that the sub navigated the tour area simply by following a trail of cinder blocks placed along the path of the tour.

Did not have knockoff Xbox controller for controls, instead Cap'n operated it much like you would a spaceship, with multiple control sticks and levers to maneuver in 3 dimensions. Even with excellent visibility and spotters on surface/divers it looked very tricky to drive it.

I was much more worried about Covid than anything water related.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
At 151 feet, you were probably tethered with a communication cable. At 13000 feet, that's a bit harder.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is there any other way to communicate with the surface at that depth?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'd want a HOTAS (Hands on Tuna and Shark) for a submarine, yes.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

priznat posted:

If I've learned anything about carbon fibre, it's when it replaced wood for hockey sticks the sticks were way way more strong, consistent and had the exact flex each player wanted for their particular game. However, where a wood stick will give signs of fatigue and wear before developing splits/cracks, the carbon fibre sticks will seem totally fine until all of a sudden without warning they would literally explode from a hard shot.

So these lads repeatedly took a carbon fibre vessel controlled by a knockoff xbox controller down to unfathomable depths, where even the slightest structural weakness will cause catastrophic failure.

And maybe things went wrong?

I don't really want to laugh, because the staff were schmos working for a salary, but that seems suicidally dangerous. Not gonna weep at all for the billionaire class paying for the very compact journey.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

big nipples big life posted:

something like this, using encoded audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJDGoObHu70

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Pookah posted:

So these lads repeatedly took a carbon fibre vessel controlled by a knockoff xbox controller down to unfathomable depths, where even the slightest structural weakness will cause catastrophic failure.

And maybe things went wrong?

I don't really want to laugh, because the staff were schmos working for a salary, but that seems suicidally dangerous. Not gonna weep at all for the billionaire class paying for the very compact journey.

Why didn't they just rent James Cameron's sub to do it? For what they were charging you'd think that option would be feasible.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Panfilo posted:

Why didn't they just rent James Cameron's sub to do it? For what they were charging you'd think that option would be feasible.

Gotta disrupt the hull market.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Absolutely.

How many whales are acceptable casualties to the comm system?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Panfilo posted:

Cameron's sub seats one person, do you really expect these billionaires to learn how to drive a sub?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

lol i bet they're yelling real loud rn if they didn't immediately explode

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the vehicle was able to surface on its own at any point if it was actually working and they're not all dead

so unless they lost comms and surfaced somewhere, and due to weather/visibility nobody has seen them yet and they can't get a satellite message through, they got turned to paste long ago

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's hardly original, but I'm still amazed by how our one fairly small planet has developed so many extraordinarily distinct environments for life to develop.
We have the standard biosphere we're all familiar with, we have the weird life that survives very slowly in the deep cold, and we have the incredibly alien world of the deep ocean.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Life uh... Finds a way

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A whole different kind of whale fall.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Pookah posted:

It's hardly original, but I'm still amazed by how our one fairly small planet has developed so many extraordinarily distinct environments for life to develop.
We have the standard biosphere we're all familiar with, we have the weird life that survives very slowly in the deep cold, and we have the incredibly alien world of the deep ocean.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremophile

I love this subject because it has only been around for less than 50 years, it is very new.

It's like so much astronomy in that it wasn't understood and barely existed beyond conjecture until recently.

Major religions have had thousands of years of influence on humanity. Microbes living in suflrific acid pools on mountain tops or ecosystems based around thermal vents miles below sea level or spacetime, black holes, exoplanets are brand new discoveries. Those facts deserve thousands of years of influence on our shared humanity.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jesus, it's not even an Xbox controller. It's a cheap Logitech with weird thumbstick mods.

Game Controllers only Future Sea Burials Used

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

You could conceivably use a powerful enough underwater telephone for voice coms, and I'm assuming the submersible is fitted with a rescue Pinger for localization - not that it would do much good. Its not fitted with an rescue hatch and even if it were its too deep for traditional sub escape and rescue equipment.

As a submarine engineer I'd say the best case scenario is they had to emergency deballast (which on these types of submersibles normally involves mechanically jettisoning the heavy main battery) and their auxiliary battery failed, resulting in them bobbing around on the surface with no comms. From what I've seen of the design of the Titan (which looks janky AF and I would never in a million years go under water in it) it looks like they can't open the hatch until the sub is out of the water completely, which means unless they have some sort of emergency vent valve they can open they could conceivably still run out of air on the surface. More likely there was a manufacturing defect in the carbon fiber hull or hull fittings that wasn't discovered and the fatigue from dive cycles caused localized stress on affected hull area causing catastraphic failure and collapse. Good news is at that depth it would have happened extremely quickly, faster than the nervous system could process what was going on.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Deptfordx posted:

5th descent apparently.

So what you’re saying is, they got smunched by water pressure like that crab from that gif, got it.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Dewgy posted:

So what you’re saying is, they got smunched by water pressure like that crab from that gif, got it.

That's accurate, but faster

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhBPF4yfkI&t=43s

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pookah posted:

Just looked at this guy's wikipedia page and it is all about his being an explorer and a pilot etc and there is close to zero information on exactly how he became a billionaire.

currently (well, as of last week) a big deal in private jet sales

wider investment group founded in 02, unclear how he got into that or, indeed, whether he's a billionaire

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Many go woke for the moral float

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

priznat posted:

lmao that sounds amazing. How does an air bubble last that long?!? Do they get into the specifics?

It's been 20+ years since I stumbled on it, I think it was a combination of a handwoven about the agricultural cargo being used to scrub the air and ships engine seaparting oxygen from sea water?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

So how long is a respectful amount of time before selling submarine tours of the submarine tour lost touring the titanic?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

kazil posted:

So how long is a respectful amount of time before selling submarine tours of the submarine tour lost touring the titanic?

Keep crashing submarines down there until the scrap pile reaches the ocean surface, then hollow it out all the way to the bottom so that you can just walk down there

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

kazil posted:

Let the "free" market decide.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hey i just popped into this thread to see if any funny new stupid poo poo happened with elon musk and learned about this submersible drama, learning news from the forums like old times. what does it have to do with elon tho? did he call one of the rescue team a pedophile again or something?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Songbearer posted:

Keep crashing submarines down there until the scrap pile reaches the ocean surface, then hollow it out all the way to the bottom so that you can just walk down there

I think I played that final fantasy zone

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Earwicker posted:

hey i just popped into this thread to see if any funny new stupid poo poo happened with elon musk and learned about this submersible drama, learning news from the forums like old times. what does it have to do with elon tho? did he call one of the rescue team a pedophile again or something?

they were using starlink for the gps and also twitter people (and elon?) have bad opinions about it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

That submarine is sitting on the bottom of the ocean right now with no way to get back to the surface and everyone in it is fuckin.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Also another billionaire was on board

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Has Elon sent a sub to rescue the sub?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Yes but someone turned Full Self Diving on and it promptly turned and ran right into a seamount.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Did the sub's builders ever call it unsinkable?

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Earwicker posted:

...did he call one of the rescue team a pedophile again or something?
give him time

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

biznatchio posted:

Yes but someone turned Full Self Diving on and it promptly turned and ran through a herd of black seals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The X-man cometh posted:

Did the sub's builders ever call it unsinkable?

No. A submarine has to be kinda sinkable to work in the first place.