Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My extremely limited knowledge of submersibles is that they would have an extremely failsafe ballast release and without that ballast the sub would head up to the surface pretty quickly. Seems likely there was just a catastrophic failure that doomed it before that could save them. The support ship probably has a pretty good idea of what went down because they’d be able to hear an implosion using their sonar, and if the sub was even somewhat functional they should be able to have voice communication

Tl;dr: they’re all dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ilmucche posted:

Maybe they can pull themselves up to the surface by their bootstraps

das bootstraps

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They were eaten by Leviathan.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

kazil posted:

das bootstraps

:golfclap:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

priznat posted:

My extremely limited knowledge of submersibles is that they would have an extremely failsafe ballast release and without that ballast the sub would head up to the surface pretty quickly. Seems likely there was just a catastrophic failure that doomed it before that could save them. The support ship probably has a pretty good idea of what went down because they’d be able to hear an implosion using their sonar, and if the sub was even somewhat functional they should be able to have voice communication

Agreed.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If the ship on the surface was giving them directions wouldn't that imply there was some sort of tether to the sub?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
time for musk to send in his little caving sub

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

priznat posted:

Here someone answer the question: Is the tether broken? Just reel it in see what comes up. When a chunk of sub comes up we will be sure.

The more I read the more it feels like the support ship hosed up and is covering, even if that fuckup was waited too long to report the loss.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

There was an article a while back about the US Navy using Xbox controllers for their periscopes because it was cheap and just worked better than anything they came up with, so that’s what I was expecting.

But no, it’s some sort of knockoff

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1670850045657186304?s=46&t=NcYZVtoPeX6rG9flHBMFfg

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I’m not going to be surprised if this winds up being a USS Thresher kind of accident where they all got instantly popped by the crush of water

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Jesus, it's not even an Xbox controller. It's a cheap Logitech with weird thumbstick mods.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

big nipples big life posted:

If the ship on the surface was giving them directions wouldn't that imply there was some sort of tether to the sub?

The tether was starlink

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just gonna pilot my submarine with this mad catz controller I make my younger brother use when we play xbox

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ComfyPants posted:

There was an article a while back about the US Navy using Xbox controllers for their periscopes because it was cheap and just worked better than anything they came up with, so that’s what I was expecting.

https://twitter.com/nycjim/status/1670850045657186304?s=46&t=NcYZVtoPeX6rG9flHBMFfg

that's a little brother controller if I ever saw one, those dudes are dead.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I got one of them in black.

e - No, mine only has three buttons in the middle

e2 - It's not the most comfortable controller, I dislike the triggers.

goatface fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 19, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I don’t think they have a tether on it, usually those type of piloted submersibles don’t.

Plus having a spool 4km long that would be thick enough to pull up something that big would be massive.

If the winch on the boat even could pull that much I have no idea

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The NBC article says they communicate with the sub via text messages and one of the expeditions just got lost for 2.5 hours before resurfacing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jesus, it's not even an Xbox controller. It's a cheap Logitech with weird thumbstick mods.

Oh my god, I play Ace Combat and Final Fantasy VII with that thing.

those people are loving dead.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Where's your genius solutions, Musk? Show the Woke Guard how much better you are you piece of loving poo poo.

quote:

In a Fox News interview, Rear Admiral John Mauger of the U.S. Coast Guard said that the agency did not have the right equipment in the search area to do a “comprehensive sonar survey of the bottom.” He said,“Right now, we’re really just focused on trying to locate the vessel again by saturating the air with aerial assets, by tasking surface assets in the area, and then using the underwater sonar.”

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

B-Rock452 posted:

The tether was starlink

pretty sure starlink is just used on the surface ship to connect to the rest of the world and they have some other communication method between the ship and sub

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

B-Rock452 posted:

I lost it when it turns out they have no way of tracking where the sub is and had have the surface ship text them directions

text message directions in question

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Esqueer_/status/1670778899725275137

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

gschmidl posted:

The NBC article says they communicate with the sub via text messages and one of the expeditions just got lost for 2.5 hours before resurfacing.

Get lost in finding titanic though, they would know where the support ship is (up) :haw:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

priznat posted:

Get lost in finding titanic though, they would know where the support ship is (up) :haw:

Normally I'd agree but with this thing...

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can't believe a bunch of billionaires rode on the GoonSub MK2 after MK1 went so infamously well

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Can't believe a bunch of billionaires rode on the GoonSub MK2 after MK1 went so infamously well

Wasn't Vol. 1 just a normal murdersub, as in the guy murdered a woman on it thinking it would be the perfect crime. Or was a full on murdersuisub?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can someone please confirm that Elon was on the sub

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
that piss jug is gonna be full up

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Decrepus posted:

He would still be tweeting lovely memes as the oxygen ran out

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

lol he has 10 kids. I'm no number knower but this does not look like 10 kids. Or are these just the ones he still "loves"

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I, for one, am glad that the RMS Titanic continues to attract billionaires to their doom like a 110 year old bug zapper

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ComfyPants posted:

bro never take the mad catz controller

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

priznat posted:

I'm sure they'll be fine, there's precedent for this kind of thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_Awaits

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sadly, Elon has proven canny enough so far to not actually ride in or use any of the lovely products he puts his name on for long enough to become a victim of their failures. Twitter notwithstanding.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

spending 250k to put your life in the hands of a little brother controller, lmao

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Steadiman posted:

lol he has 10 kids. I'm no number knower but this does not look like 10 kids. Or are these just the ones he still "loves"

I think those are just the ones he could gather in once place for a few minutes on short notice.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:

Decrepus posted:

Nah, the only dangerous vehicles Elon dares to ride in are Teslas.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

spending 250k to put your life in the hands of a little brother controller, lmao

maybe the captain got mad and threw the controller and it smashed into a million pieces

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Decrepus posted:

He'd survive the crushing depths of the ocean because he's too loving dense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm sure they'll be fine, there's precedent for this kind of thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath_Awaits

lmao that sounds amazing. How does an air bubble last that long?!? Do they get into the specifics?